• Show
Clear All

Congrats

Comment

Dude....

I said I'm going there in 2 weeks save me one

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
        We are all using this for our warmup hunts to New Zealand next month!!!

Given the 3 different groups going within the months time there should be some great trophies coming back.

Comment

Should be plenty to go around. I think Jimmy Ryan has killed over 200 of them w a bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post
            Given the 3 different groups going within the months time there should be some great trophies coming back.
            We could actually clean new Zealand out of critters....lol.[emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Oscar did you get the big bull yet? When you get time between adventures seriously look into a good recurve/longbow, or give me a shout. Not the closest to you, but I'm sure if you were interested we would figure it out. I accidentally fell into traditional bows, now I would not trade for it.
              Congrats to your group so far.
              BTW- New Zealand has definitely been a topic of conversation around here. NEED LOTS OF PICS.

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                  We could actually clean new Zealand out of critters....lol.[emoji6]

whoa whoa whoa, not so fast I'll be there in July soooooo, got to leave me at least one decent Stag

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                    Oscar did you get the big bull yet? When you get time between adventures seriously look into a good recurve/longbow, or give me a shout. Not the closest to you, but I'm sure if you were interested we would figure it out. I accidentally fell into traditional bows, now I would not trade for it.
                    Congrats to your group so far.
                    BTW- New Zealand has definitely been a topic of conversation around here. NEED LOTS OF PICS.
                    I have two recurves.....10 - 15 yards if I get lucky.....lol.[emoji23] !
                    Turtles, turkeys, hogs and cattle so far on this evening hunt. [emoji42]

Comment

[emoji106]

Comment

When can we get the specifics in your hunt?

Comment

good luck man

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
                            When can we get the specifics in your hunt?
                            Sir please accept my apologies. I had gotten your PM and totally forgotten. We hunted the NORIAS unit about 235,000 acres for bowhunters. Our drive from Houston area was an easy 4 hours with a stop in Kingsville at the Whataburger before meeting Joey our guide. We (3 of us) were the only bowhunters out there...…….been that way for 3 years actually. Oscar did not come out this year, but Joey did a great job getting us on stands. Morning hunts continued to be slow...…..fence lines are not as productive as waterholes. We all passed on one morning hunt and slept in. We all passed on the last days hunt also...……...we were wore out and packed our gear. Every night we got back to the camp around 10:30 pm.

Don't totally remember but I think the 3.5 day hunt was about $2,300 or $2,800 this year...…..that includes a BULL and a female. You can pay for additional nilgai if you see a bigger one or just want more meat. Tons of hogs, especially around waterholes. Saw quite a few coyotes but none got within bow range this year. They provide nice lodging and we brought our own meals/drinks, etc. You are allowed to bring a camp cook if you have one......we are not that fancy. We are re-booked for next year as once you give up your dates it is difficult to get back on the books. I am not sure why they don't take on more bowhunters as the place is immense in size...…...and the animals are definitely there in large numbers...…...approximately 40,000 nilgai on all units combined of the KING RANCH with zero high fences!!!

One waterhole in the evening I had 73 nilgai . Some as close as 15 yards, some hung up around 140 yards. I never saw less than 20 nilgai. Trying to get the best shot on a big bull is tough nontheless. Heck, it is even hard to figure out which one is bigger as it is difficult to see the chevron size at the base of their horns.
                            Overall, it is a must do hunt for a bowhunter. Be ready to sweat, long days, lots of snakes if stalking(Rob nearly stepped on one while tracking his bull), and good meat! I don't see myself doing this hunt for 10 plus years straight like my buddy but it is a good way to fill in the bowhunting lull!!!!
                            Last edited by Landrover; 05-24-2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Few pics!

Comment

Lots of eye candy while on stand and alot of work off stand!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X