Building a pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a pool

Gonna finally pull the trigger. I've found the builder I like and trust out of Georgetown (I'm in Round Rock)....Jim DeMeo Pools.

I'd love to hear the GS input on what you would have done differently, or what you really like.

Here's my specs so far - it's mostly a standard, no frills pool....as in no fancy lights or water features, but does have some aesthetics like flagstone coping and nice waterline tile. I chose to focus on quality equipment rather than the "wow" factor.

I wont post the price because I'm comfortable with what I'm paying (compared to 3 other bids - I picked the middle one) and to me, it's more about the builder/man rather than price.

32'x18'x12' - 424 sq ft - 3.5'-6' depth Freeform
    #4 1/2" rebar all around, 9" on center
    dry mix gunite, floors and walls 6"-12", out of ground beam to be 12".
    Spa wall 12" thick with 24" wide spill way
    2" pipes and returns, all schedule 40.
    3 returns, eight spa jets, 2 split main drains, one skimmer
    12-15k gallons
    8' diameter spa, 42" depth
    300 sq ft of decking connected to existing flagstone patio, with cool decking
    Level 2 mini pebble interior finish
    Pentiar 3hp intelliflo variable speed/heater/cartridge filter - UV/Chlorine
    autofill
    ez touch remote
    basic lights
    only water feature is the spa spillover
    steps,benches, 12' baja reef

As I said, I'm just curious if there's anything I should be looking out for?

i wish i would have run an electrical conduit to the far side of the pool to connect garden lighting, power a speaker, etc. i put in a waterfall, low level water tanning deck, and salt water system - regretting them now. No one uses them, and salt water system is expensive to repair. I do have a separate pump for my Polaris.

Comment

In to this myself...

My folks are building one and asking me to do the leg work. I'm sure I'll swim in it

Comment

Dont see it listed but, might come included. Make sure it has a over flow drain and auto fill.

We went with 6' deep and love it. Great to relax the back.

Comment

You may want to reconsider the chlorine pool and go salt. I had a chlorine pool built 2 years ago and my wife says we are spending a lot on chlorine, I'm now thinking of converting to salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian77429 View Post
            Dont see it listed but, might come included. Make sure it has a over flow drain and auto fill.
            This for sure or you will be dropping a hose in it everyday in the summer.

Comment

We didn’t build our pool it was in the house when we bought it. This not our first pool so here are a couple musts in my opinion.
              -Variable speed pump
              -separate pump for “Polaris”
              -pebble tech bottom
              -no flagstone in the coping.. ours chips in the pool all the time.
              -make sure it has a bottom drain (2) ours has non.. it was some dumb safety design by Oasis pools
              - go with LED lights (they don’t have as many issues)
              - make sure you get cartridge filter or sand filters.
              - if your pool has a swim deck or beach entrance, make sure they put a jet that cleans it off.. our doesn’t and it is terrible.
              - make sure the angles in pool are not drastic or your pool cleaner will get stuck (have that issue too)

Pretty sure that’s all

Comment

The one thing i noticed was we did not make the decking wide enough to accommodate all of the deck chairs, umbrellas, etc. Luckily they widened for us when they started putting in the forms.

Comment

I don't have a pool, however my Mom does and both of my brothers. My mom's is 16 years old and chlorine she had to replace the pump once. My brothers pools are 10 and 7 years old. They salt and they are on their 4th and 3rd pool pumps. Salt corrodes everything.

Comment

Couple things I wish I would have done are:

Ran elec. for landscape lighting/Christmas lights/ect..

Ran a "Spitter" lines that ties into the water falls that I can run at night to ring the pool temp down in the summer. ill have to run them separately now.

One thing we did get was the Aqualink system so I can control everything from my phone with an app. Ill be sitting in the deer stand and my wife will text me asking to turn the water falls on. something to think about.

There is always a debate between salt and chlorine. I elected to go with chlorine because I feel like its less maintenance. We also went with a UV Light which cuts the chlorine usage in half. you cant even smell it in the pool. With a saltwater pool the salt has a chemical reaction and creates chlorine, plus everyone I know with a salt water pool has rust problems and flagstone problems. With chlorine, if you keep your PH right then your chlorine will keep your pool clean.

Comment

I would use a sand and gravel filter if I was you!!! You will regret cartridge filter if you get one!!

Comment

Another vote for auto fill and salt. Also, if you want to get more use out of your pool (about a month early and a month late) consider a solar heater. Not as expensive as traditional pool heaters. We have one and really like it. If you go this route, variable speed pump for sure.

Comment

I’d definitely have it plumbed for a booster pump.
                          I’d go DE/grid filter
                          Make sure you get bromine/tab feeder

I own a pool company and I would not even consider a salt pool for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                            I’d definitely have it plumbed for a booster pump.
                            I’d go DE/grid filter
                            Make sure you get bromine/tab feeder

I own a pool company and I would not even consider a salt pool for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Can you please explain why no salt? I have a chlorine pool now but I was thinking of converting because of how much the chemicals are costing. I think she is spending about 200 a month. I am also a millwright and work on pumps for a living so pump repairs in a non issue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian77429 View Post

We went with 6' deep and love it. Great to relax the back.
                              Yes, all of that is included, I was in a hurry when I was typing this and left it out.....thanks for the input, though!

Comment

Working...
                              X