Cowboy coffee pot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowboy coffee pot question

I found a old enamel coffee pot (5 quart) I cleaned it up and plan on using it @ camp
    Question is 5 quarts of water , how much coffee should I add to water before boiling?
    And do you use the cold water method to settle the grounds or drop eggs in it to catch them ?
    Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Where do you insert the Kcup? looks good

Comment

I always make the morning coffee @ camp , and one guy always is 1st to the mr coffee
      And fills his big thermos up and bolts for his blind leaving the others with a empty pot or a rebrew! This should help solve that problem

Comment

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
        Where do you insert the Kcup? looks good
        Those are banana peppers left from lunch LOL

And that fancy lid was stolen from a small pan in wife’s kitchen
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-20-2018, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Love that old pot! What a dandy. That's got character written all over it. Bet it's got some good stories it's heard too.

Comment

What?

Comment

3 Tablespoons of coffee per 8oz of water....and don't put it in BEFORE you boil it. Boil the water, take it off; as soon as it quits boiling, add the coffee, stir it and put it on low heat. Boiling it with the coffee in there can make it pretty bitter. That's why your coffee pot at home doesn't used boiling water.
              Last edited by curtintex; 05-20-2018, 03:25 PM.

Comment

We use 1/3 cup of coffee for 6 cups of water. Not sure on the math for 5 quarts. And boiling it gets the bitterness/acid out. Curt is high. We boil for about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Cup or so if cold water to settle grounds, put it on low. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  3 Tablespoons of coffee per 8oz of water....and don't put it in BEFORE you boil it. Boil the water, take it off; as soon as it quits boiling, add the coffee, stir it and put it on low heat. Boiling it with the coffee in there can make it pretty bitter. That's why your coffee pot at home doesn't used boiling water.
                  So about 20 scoop of coffee?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    We use 1/3 cup of coffee for 6 cups of water. Not sure on the math for 5 quarts. And boiling it gets the bitterness/acid out. Curt is high. We boil for about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Cup or so if cold water to settle grounds, put it on low. Good stuff.

https://youtu.be/tq7Si7cp2jM
                    Boiling it for 7 minutes might work, but I ain't that patient.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                      Five quarts is a lot. I'd guess about 1/2 cup. To be honest, we just eyeball it and call it good.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                        I'm not sure. We use a big measuring cup. You'll have to see how many cups of water are in 5 quarts then figure out a 1/3 cup of coffee for every 6 cups of water. Dang algebra. Practice at home then write it down!

Comment

4 x .333 cup

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          I'm not sure. We use a big measuring cup. You'll have to see how many cups of water are in 5 quarts then figure out a 1/3 cup of coffee for every 6 cups of water. Dang algebra. Practice at home then write it down!
                          Looks like 4 x .333= 1 1/3 to 1 1/4 cup of coffee to water

Comment

You don't measure cowboy coffee . You wait for the water to boil
                            then dump some seaport coffee straight from the bag and move the pot uff the fire

Comment

Can’t say I have ever had cowboy coffee, but I do love coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X