No announcement yet.

Craziest sleeping set up at the lease.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I slept in one of those big igloo looking dog kennels once. Wasn't bad at all. Actually stayed pretty warm.

My buddy's family had some land they never used and he told a few of us we could hunt it and that it had "an old, decent cabin on it". We show up out there at 9:00 pm on one of the coldest nights since I moved to Texas (low of 8 degrees) and find the cabin. It has no electricity and the floor has completely rotted away to bare dirt. Had to drink a lot to fall asleep that night.

Comment

Years ago had a buddy with a lease in Lampasas area. They had a camper, but it could get crowded pretty quick. On this place was an old homestead, which is where the campers were set up. We decided we would set up our cots in this old place. It had a roof and was dry. It was dirty and dusty, but not any worse than staying in a tent. About half way through the night my buddy screams and jumps out of bed. Said a mouse/rat dropped from the roof on to his cot. We finished off the night sleeping in the truck.

Comment

2 tarps. One to lay sleeping bags on. One to the side in case it started raining.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          Train car at a place in Dilley.

When I was a kid, my dad was on a lease in Dilly that had a train car as the housing.

Comment

Years ago we had a place outside of Centerville and it had what we were told the old post office for that area. It was in bad shape but me and another guy decided to sleep in it on cots and during the night we could hear the rats running around and at one time I awoke with one on my chest. We spent the whole night in there but the next day we removed all the paneling and insulation and killed rats. Never did kill a deer off that place.

Comment

Also a member of the Rail Car cabin conversion club. One of my favorite camps by far. Plumbed in hot and cold water for a sink, shower and commode, and rigged up some x-mas lights for night-time ambiance. Had the inside spray foam insulated and added a window unit and wood burning stove for temperature control, but it still got 10f hotter/colder than it was outside depending on the season.

Comment

Many years ago a friend gave me permission to quail hunt his family's property around Rotan. He said there was a little cabin if I wanted to spend the night. The "cabin" turned out to be a tiny structure that looked like a 19th century outhouse with holes in the roof and huge gaps in the walls. It was bitterly cold with a north wind - I woke up in the middle of the night about to freeze so I called my bird dog over and had him snuggle down in my sleeping bag to keep me warm. Only problem was he had just rolled in a fresh green cow patty. It was very slimy and stinky in that sleeping bag but the extra body heat was worth it.

Comment

We had our camp house built around a tree (not sure why) so there was a tree coming up through the roof. Well that tree got struck by lightning one night, not with us in it luckily. Also had carpet floors, which was laid down on dirt. Not the best set up

Comment

Originally posted by Dang_ol View Post
                    had a train car on our duck lease in northern texas we used. (wood burning stove and 2 mr buddy heater would barely take the chill out LOL)
                    Sorry to derail the thread, but was this in Honey Grove? We had this as a deer lease 2 years and with the stove going and a heater going, we still slept in full hunting gear.
                    Last edited by jwood02; 05-09-2018, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Me and two other TBHer's had a 8x8 plastic Home Depot shed that we used for a season. Three guys in a 64 sf "cabin" was tight. We had two elevated bunks and one guy slept on the floor beneath one. Really wasn't that bad.

Comment

Pole barn with plywood for sides. Out in rock springs in 1978

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
                          2 tarps. One to lay sleeping bags on. One to the side in case it started raining.
                          Sac I was about to post about the two tarps and the sleeping bags. That was tough but they were some good times.

Comment

Upside down Grain silo with dirt floor. No electric but kept us dry and out of the wind.

Comment

Slept in the back of my little Nissan truck with a fiberglass cover many years. Ribs in the bed were not comfortable. Friend had a place around Skidmore he had built a corrugated tin cabin on. 1/2 dirt floor and some wood. Used tin would leak every time it would rain. Rats ran around all night including across my chest. The only good thing was a homemade wood stove in the middle. Throw some oak in it and it would hum up thru the stack and keep it halfway warm. All great memories looking back.

Comment

Hammocks and tarps, no problem

Comment

Working...
                                X