Coonhound paralysis in my lab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coonhound paralysis in my lab

My 9.5 year old lab was diagnosed with Coonhound paralysis this morning. It started last Thursday with some weakness in his rear legs. Our normal vet was unavailable but the other vet originally thought back or disc problems. It progressed to his front legs quickly on Saturday. We took him to the emergency vet which was big waste of time. Our normal vet saw him this morning and strongly feels it is Coonhound paralysis. He was in fight with a raccoon about 2.5 weeks ago. We are hoping he has hit the low point of it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Following

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

not familiar with coonhound paralysis. Have you checked him very closely for imbedded tick(s). Tick bites can cause tick paralysis, quick easy fix.

hope for full recovery

Comment

Yep no ticks.

Comment

No personal exsperience with it... but heard lots of stories from other jagdowners... 9.5 year old its a SCARY deal... even if he makes it he might not ever walk right... prays for the pup

Comment

Growing up my dad was a avid coo hunter, he hunted from when he was in 8t grade up until about 5 years ago. He tree’d thousands of coons and when I was around 12 years old he finally had a dog get in a fight with one and they got the paralysis. My dad was blown away and it was the saddest thing I’d ever seen. Our dog lost a ton of weight and got big sore because he would try to move around and would rub his legs and body on the ground and would make some nasty sores. Everyday when dad got home we would go hand feed him and get him as much water as we could. Dad actually fixed a sling out of a swing set we had and we would take the dog and put him in it so his legs would hang down and he slowly started moving his legs and got movement back but it was a slow process.

Comment

I never heard of that disease

New one on me

Rethinking how I let my JRT loose on the occasional coon that comes up on the back patio

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                I never heard of that disease

New one on me

Rethinking how I let my JRT loose on the occasional coon that comes up on the back patio
                My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Sounds like yet another reason to KAC!

Comment

Had a close friend of our has a St.Bernard type dog, he got it. They made a sling out of a wheel chair lift. Left him hanging in it for hours at a time. If I remember correctly he lost control of his bowels. It didn't take as long as expected but in about 6-8 weeks he was pretty much back to normal. Dog is 5 years old and really big. Good luck.

Comment

I never heard of this either. I had a wolf hybrid that I used to kill coons with for several years. Never had any issue like this. I hope your dog makes a full recovery

Comment

well he is not totally down yet.... if we help him up he can stumble around very stiff legged so trying to keep him mobile if at all possible. It has been 6 days since symptoms started and last day or two have not seemed to get worse but afraid it is going to be a long road.

Comment

Working...
                        X