Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tool box/chest ideas

Need some help from the green screen.

I am looking for a larger tool box for my garage. This is pretty close to what have in the garage, and its 26" wide. I used to have a smaller Craftsman 3 drawer tool box that rode with me behind my seat (but now it stays put on the floor in the garage), and I am looking to merge the 2 smaller boxes into 1 big one for all my hand tools, wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, circular saws, Sawzall, etc. Tired of the clutter and junk on the floor, and I want to move it against the wall.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good, black tool chest for the garage? I am keeping my eyes on:
    -Ebay
    -Letgo
    -Craigslist
    -Home Depot
    -Lowe's Home Improvement
    -Facebook marketplace
    -Amazon

Used is great with me, and I would prefer that over buying a brand new one.

This is what I have my eyes on (top): https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-22-5...Steel/50175953
    Bottom: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-41-i...binet/50175949

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hog_down; 03-29-2018, 10:20 AM.

if you look on youtube there are lots of guys that have done reviews of the harbor freight tool boxes and they have come up with fantastic reviews. I don't own one but the next one that i buy will be from them.

I don't think however that they have a black one, i think theirs all come in red. just something to think about.

Comment

Call the snap in guy...he will deliver

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
        Call the snap in guy...he will deliver
        And finance!

Comment

Harbor freight hands down. Ive had several craftsman boxes that dont hold up at all. Go put your hands on one of the red boxes from harbor freight. Theyre pretty stout built at a fraction of the tool truck prices

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I went with one of these. It allowed me to keep the 5 drawer and 4 drawer chests I already had. Both fit on top side by side

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-66...2A24/204398429

Comment

I bought the lower chest part from Harbor freight, just to organize some things in my garage. It's very well-built, my dad has one as well. I don't generally buy anythingwith the harbor freight brand, but they were the best value here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Harbor freight has a cheap Chinese made line called us general. Should be good enough for a home garage storage.

Comment

I’m looking at replacing my craftsman box with the USGeneral from harbor freight myself

Comment

I have a bunch of the Husky branded ones from HD. Can't be happier. They hold a lot of weight, I have them stuffed with metrology gear, metal fixtures, tools, etc... No issues in a few years of owning them. I have 2 more of the 44" with wood tops waiting to be picked up this afternoon.

In my opinion, they are the best value out there.

Comment

The series 2 boxes at harbor freight are very good quality.

Comment

If you will be moving the box, go with a griplatch by Sears. Stay away from the harbor freight one. The drawers will slide open and dump the entire box. Had it happen to me twice. Sears run theirs on sale quite a bit. I have the tall 7 or 8 drawer unit and love it. If you do buy harbor freight, open the crate before leaving. I went through 3 before I found one not damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                          If you will be moving the box, go with a griplatch by Sears. Stay away from the harbor freight one. The drawers will slide open and dump the entire box. Had it happen to me twice. Sears run theirs on sale quite a bit. I have the tall 7 or 8 drawer unit and love it. If you do buy harbor freight, open the crate before leaving. I went through 3 before I found one not damaged.
                          Not sure which box you are talking about but the new harbor freights have the latches under the handle on each drawer keeping them shut.

Comment

Tool box/chest ideas

I have a 72” chest from HF.

I’m thrilled with it, except that it’s pretty full, and I still have a lot of stuff to put away. Gonna have to find an upper and side cabinets.

When shopping, I compared it to Homak and Waterloo.

I can’t speak for the build quality of the smaller boxes, but this one is pretty well built.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

This is my socket drawer, it is 52” wide, and that’s maybe 2/3 of my sockets.

Last edited by Gummi Bear; 03-29-2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X