X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unbelievable the judgement passed by armchair quarterbacks on this. SMH

prayers for all involved.

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
    sad story but this article made me laugh , on getting the bears ....“They fit the description."...
    lol me too...

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
      I just hope the people in charge will look a little closer into all of this! Something stinks about this bear attack!
      Please share your theory!

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
        Say your wade fishing and a great white attacks him. Not apple and oranges in that case.
        One of my friends, WE'RE fighting a shark. I'm wade fishing and see a random stranger getting attacked by a shark WE'RE fighting a shark.
        You've pretty much painted a picture of who you are.

King James Version
        Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends
        And I'm not even a little bit religious, but it is the way I was raised.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
          unbelievable the judgement passed by armchair quarterbacks on this. SMH

prayers for all involved.

lol me too...
          He is going hunting in Wyoming again next year with a bow. He doesn't know how to operate a firearm. Would you go with him?

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            One of my friends, WE'RE fighting a shark. I'm wade fishing and see a random stranger getting attacked by a shark WE'RE fighting a shark.
            You've pretty much painted a picture of who you are.

King James Version
            Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends
            And I'm not even a little bit religious, but it is the way I was raised.
            From your description, I'd have to say you and Pat Tillman are cut from the same cloth. Although I doubt Pat ever told anybody what he'd do when SHTF. He just did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
              Family is different. Same as war. I'm not leaving the battlefield either. I know what I signed up for.
              The guide and most likely the hunter knew they were in an area where they were not the highest on the food chain. They knew what they signed up for.

Same as being on a boat. If the captain doesnt go over where the EPIRB is, the life jackets, radio, etc, I would for sure ask. If I am in bear country, I am going to ask the guide if he has a gun, and probably what kind it is, and probably where it is as well.

Comment

I don’t know anything about bears. However I do know a lot about horses. Been around them all my life and ride all day everyday. I have never seen or heard of a horse that would stick around in the middle of a bear attack. Horses are prey animals and their flight instinct is much greater than their fight instinct. The hardest I’ve ever been bucked off was because of a covey of quail. When anything jumps at, runs at or startles a horse, believe me they are going somewhere with or without you. The part of the survivor’s story about the horses is just unbelievable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                  Prayers up for the family of the guide

A portion of the article linked above....

The gut pile drag mark heading downhill drew searchers attention away from where Uptain had died 50 yards uphill from the elk carcass, in a grove of timber. The nature of the 37-year-old’s fatal injuries and lack of a drag trail uphill suggest that he was able to walk after the initial attack, about 50 yards, but ultimately was killed by the grizzlies near where he was found.

Sad to think he might have had a chance had he had his pistol or someone else there to help him. Not sure how it happened and don't want to judge because at the end of the day none of us really know what our response would have been. Just a tragic event that unfortunately occurs from time to time. Personally, I think it's way more dangerous out in the metro-jungle or out driving than out in the wilds of nature.

thanks for posting the article. the most detailed one so far. **** shame the family lost their father at such an early age.

it reminds me of the ending of legends of the fall when the indian says it was a good death. i hate to romantisize it ,but going head to toe with a grizzy and saving the life of the hunter is one hell of a way to go.

i hope the man from florida always remembers this man and tries to live up to his sacrifice.

for the guys that have not seen a glock or operated a glock. pull the trigger, if it does not go bang, slide rack and pull trigger. what ever you do dont throw it away.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                    From your description, I'd have to say you and Pat Tillman are cut from the same cloth. Although I doubt Pat ever told anybody what he'd do when SHTF. He just did it.
                    No, but I bet he knew inside. He wasn't undecided, and he dang sure knew he wasn't gonna leave a friend out to dry. He knew all this without a doubt. He never made a comment to a buddy, "I hope Indians or outlaws never get after us, cuz I'm not sure if I would have your back or not, BUDDY .
                    And what did I say I would do, other than not run away?
                    Believe whatever you like. My comments are in no way, braggadocio. Sorry if you see it as that.
                    Last edited by MadHatter; 09-20-2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

First of all, prayers for all involved. Terrible tragedy. I can’t keep from thinking of the hunter getting attacked himself then getting a gun he didn’t know how to use. At that point, he’s trying to help.I’m just curious, what was he supposed to do then? Grab that bear by the hind leg and drag him down the mountain? I’ve seen a lot of men that would not even get in a fistfight with a man much less tackle a couple of grizzlies. I guarantee you there are very few men that would have gone in for a second round with a bear without a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by hunter68 View Post
                        First of all, prayers for all involved. Terrible tragedy. I can’t keep from thinking of the hunter getting attacked himself then getting a gun he didn’t know how to use. At that point, he’s trying to help.I’m just curious, what was he supposed to do then? Grab that bear by the hind leg and drag him down the mountain? I’ve seen a lot of men that would not even get in a fistfight with a man much less tackle a couple of grizzlies. I guarantee you there are very few men that would have gone in for a second round with a bear without a gun.
                        That my thought, he already threw the gun. What is he supposed to do, watch? All around tragedy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                          The guide and most likely the hunter knew they were in an area where they were not the highest on the food chain. They knew what they signed up for.

Same as being on a boat. If the captain doesnt go over where the EPIRB is, the life jackets, radio, etc, I would for sure ask. If I am in bear country, I am going to ask the guide if he has a gun, and probably what kind it is, and probably where it is as well.
                          What if the hunter didn't know the right question to ask?

For example, if I am going fishing with a guide, I would ask where the life jackets are, and how to contact someone should he be incapacitated. But I have never heard of an EPIRB, have no idea what it does, or why it's important. Since I don't know about it, how would I even know to ask?

I can't imagine not knowing how to shoot a pistol, but I also can't imagine going into bear country without at least bear spray. The article from yesterday is silent on what the client did or didn't have. I would say it's irresponsible of the client to show up without anything, and its irresponsible for the guide to allow the hunt to happen after the dude showed up with no protection.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            But I have never heard of an EPIRB, have no idea what it does, or why it's important. Since I don't know about it, how would I even know to ask?
                            Thats the point of why you have the conversation, before the poop hits the fan.

The guide and his client were it some remote areas, they rode horseback in, and werent hunting. What did they talk about during the ride in, were they in silence, that would have been a good time to talk about strategy, maybe go over how a pistol works, maybe tell the guide you dont know how to operate a pistol.

I dont go out with a lot of hunting guides, but I do fish a lot with guides. At the dock, on the ride out, when you are rigging up, while you are fishing, all they do is talk strategy. As they should.

Another analogy. I SCUBA dive, it is pretty much entirely based off of the buddy system. Before going in the water, you go over everything with your buddy, your dive master, the guy in the boat, the dive plan, the oh poop plan, hand signals. Pretty much the first rule of SCUBA is, dont leave your buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chapo View Post
                              I don’t know anything about bears. However I do know a lot about horses. Been around them all my life and ride all day everyday. I have never seen or heard of a horse that would stick around in the middle of a bear attack. Horses are prey animals and their flight instinct is much greater than their fight instinct. The hardest I’ve ever been bucked off was because of a covey of quail. When anything jumps at, runs at or startles a horse, believe me they are going somewhere with or without you. The part of the survivor’s story about the horses is just unbelievable to me.
                              I agree, I know nothing about 1’s will power to stay and fight,
                              But horses are a different animal. It’s hard for me to believe that a horse would let a bear, black, Brown , white it doesn’t matter get close enough to pull a rider off its back is unheard of.

Comment

Originally posted by Chapo View Post
                                Originally posted by Coyote Canyon View Post
                                I agree, I know nothing about 1’s will power to stay and fight,
                                But horses are a different animal. It’s hard for me to believe that a horse would let a bear, black, Brown , white it doesn’t matter get close enough to pull a rider off its back is unheard of.
                                I don't recall reading anything (other than here, where I've seen it mentioned multiple times) about the bears pulling either man from their horses.

Mark Uptain was removing the head of a four-by-four bull elk for his client, Corey Chubon. (not likely on a horse)
                                As the bear first hit Uptain, who carried bear spray in a hip-slung holster, Chubon went for a Glock that his guide had left with their gear a few yards uphill. (presumably not on a horse)
                                Chubon, whose leg, chest and arms were lacerated by the bruin, ran for his life.
                                Bolting from the chaos, Chubon huffed it uphill to the duo’s horses (presumably tethered to something to keep them from wandering off...no indication of how far uphill), mounted one and rode uphill to a ridgeline
                                Can somebody share a link?
                                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X