Best fish fry recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
    For the guys that use mustard do y’all do anything special or different to get it not come apart or come off when the fish is frying? I fried some in a little electric fry daddy today and it came apart and was all mushy. Granted it could be my fryer but figured I’d ask.
    If the breading comes off you had too much mustard on the fish. You want a very thin coating.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
      Yeah it sticks. But I feel like the flour binds to the fish first and that keeps some of the cornmeal from sticking. The end product isn't as cornmeal-y as it is with straight cornmeal.
      I agree with you.

Comment

I'll give y'all another good fried fish recipe to try. I use speckled trout with this one but you can use whatever you like.

Coat your trout fillets heavily in green jalapeno tabasco sauce. Soak them down liberally. I just pull the little plastic cap out of the bottle and dump the whole bottle in. Sprinkle in a good amount of dill. You can use fresh or dried. Mix it all around so the tabasco and dill are evenly covering all the fillets. I do this in a gallon ziplock bag. Put that in the fridge for an hour or two.

Heat up a cast iron skillet with about a half inch of olive oil. Pull the fillets out of the bag, roll them in plain ol flour and fry in the olive oil. Hit them with a little salt when they come out of the oil. I like to drain them on wire racks vs paper, but I do that for all fried fish.

The jalapeno tabasco will not make it too spicy. I've never had anyone complain that it was hot or spicy. Not even little kids. It's different and is another good way to cook fish if you get tired of cornmeal breaded fried fish. We call it Trout Laguna.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          Mix yellow mustard with some hot sauce in a bowl to put fillets in.

For batter - Corn meal and instant mashed potatoes !/2 and 1/2. Throw in whatever seasonings you like. I use Cajun Blakes.
          sounds like it might be good.....

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
            We soak in mustard or Louisiana hot sauce and then batter with Zatarain's seasoned fish fry. Always turns out great. The mustard helps give a thicker crisper batter and you cant taste the mustard after frying.
            Zatarain's x 2. I get the large jar of Zatarain's seasoned fish fry at Sams. I do use mustard as well but with some lemon juice. Comes out great.

Comment

Been a long time since I was frying fish regularly, like 2-3x a month, but I used to get a product called Uncle Gilbert's Fish Fry and it was perfect. It was in a plain white box and I did see it again in a plastic bag like the other name brands. It was good to go right out of the bag.

I used to swap stories with a customer that was a rice buyer in the Winnie area. He would bring me some rice flour that a miller made for him for frying fish and it was good too. I added S&P and it was good to go, very crispy.

Another addition we liked was C'est Bon Ketchup. They made a pepper sauce but offered a spicy ketchup that was great. I have not seen it locally in a long time.

My BIL and nephew swear by the mustard but it makes no difference to me.

I will also add that I really like cold fried fish, the next morning right out of the fridge. That is the best breakfast ever, lol. I always try to make sure I have enough on hand to keep some fridge stock for the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                I will also add that I really like cold fried fish, the next morning right out of the fridge. That is the best breakfast ever, lol. I always try to make sure I have enough on hand to keep some fridge stock for the next day.
                I agree. I had cold fried fish for breakfast Sunday.

Comment

My daughter's favorite is fish and chips. Basically beer battered fish.

I start with about 3 cups of flour and add 1 1/2 to 2 tbs of baking powder, a shot of cajun seasoning, and then I add enough brown ale to make the batter a pancake batter consistency. Thick enough to coat but not too thick. The beer is important IMO. It's not the same with a weak lager. Use a good brown ale in it.

Cut up your fish into appropriate sized pieces. You probably don't want whole fillets, depending on the size, or little bite sized pieces either. Roll the fish in corn starch and shake off the excess. Then dip in batter and let the excess drip off before slowly lowering them into the oil. I use a fish fryer for this, you want enough oil to float them. Flip a couple times while frying.

I just fry up thick steak fries with it and serve with tarter sauce and malt vinegar. If you like the little crunchies after you finish frying your fish you can take a spoon and drip more of the beer batter into the grease to make extra of the little crunch bits.

Another good recipe if you get tired of regular old fried fish.
                  Last edited by Capt Glenn; 04-17-2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Best I ever had is below.

Yellow cornmeal mixed with Fiesta Fajita seasoning and flour. Move the cornmeal around in a circle in a bowl and pour in the seasoning. Taste a little with your finger until you taste a hint of salt. No salt, more seasoning. Once it the salt is tasted, stop. Mix buttermilk and Ziegenbock, Shiner, or a dark beer, let fish soak for an hour or two. Pull fish out, dip in cornmeal mixture, and throw in fryer.

We did this with speckled trout and it was the best fish I have ever eaten. Not my recipe, but man, it was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                      Best I ever had is below.

Yellow cornmeal mixed with Fiesta Fajita seasoning and flour. Move the cornmeal around in a circle in a bowl and pour in the seasoning. Taste a little with your finger until you taste a hint of salt. No salt, more seasoning. Once it the salt is tasted, stop. Mix buttermilk and Ziegenbock, Shiner, or a dark beer, let fish soak for an hour or two. Pull fish out, dip in cornmeal mixture, and throw in fryer.

We did this with speckled trout and it was the best fish I have ever eaten. Not my recipe, but man, it was awesome.
                      Sounds good!

Comment

I coat the fish in Louisiana hot sauce. I make a mixture of corn meal, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper and put it in a gallon ziplock bag. I put 6-8 pieces of fish in the bag at a time and shake around to mix, then fry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                          Y'all are way overthinking this fish fry recipe stuff.
                          No doubt.

Now MAYO?

Comment

Haven't found anyone who doesn't like fried/baked wahoo steaks yet.

Wahoo steaks - about 2 - 3" thick

Seasoned Flour - whipped egg/cream dip - Seasoned Panko and into hot cast iron skillet with Peanut Oil. Crust them on both sides - middle is raw - pull.

Smother with Pico de Gallo in a baking dish

Mexican trifecta blend cheese on top

Oven @ 375 d for 30 minutes then pull

Serve with an outside crunch - juicy, tender and moist inside.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-17-2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Mahi Mahi fried fish tacos.

Same as the wahoo - Peanut oil with flour to panko dips.

Steam asparagus to near done but leave a snap in the stalk. Each bite has a snap.

Fresh flour tortilla

Pico de Gallo

Tartar sauce

It's not how you fry it.....it's how you serve it fried.

The healthier alternative - grilled Mahi instead of fried. Drop the tartar and add salsa.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-17-2019, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Spices for both styles....I lean on HEB Coast Blend Seafood Rub. Literally no salt which leaves the salt levels highly adjustable. Many of the Cajun spice blends are too salty IMO. Also roll with Old Bay Seasoning and or Old Bay Blackened and or Old Bay Lemon and Herb spices. Add cayenne pepper for kick and salt to season without overpowering.

Comment

Working...
                                X