Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GT 100GR Inserts

Good Morning All,

I picked up some 100gr GT inserts and my first group of 3, I left 2 broadheads and inserts in the target when they came unglued. I did realize the are not roughed up like the regular insert so I did run a file across them with no luck. I used the same hot glue that I have used for probably 30 years. Any tips or advise would be appreciated...

If you've been putting inserts in that long I can't help you. Oil on insert but I dought it.My feild points have oil on them I have to burn off.

Comment

I usually use something like goat tuff or insert iron on carbon arrows. but I also tune using hot melt.. The only thing I can think of is 1) you missed a little oil residue 2) the inserts are the wrong size 3) not enough glue 4) the glue did not cool and harden enough 5) bad luck

Comment

Thanks guys... I have used Goat Tuff on inserts and it did not work that well for me, although I love it for vanes. The inserts are the right size, I did notice after I installed the inserts there was a lot of glue residue but I just wrote that off as the inserts are 3x longer than regular inserts.

I did run to Academy and picked up a different brand of hot glue that I've never tried before. I will give them a try after the rain subsides. Thanks again!!!

Comment

Ben, I tried everything under the sun, and either could not make them stay in, or if they stayed in they were permanent.

I started using the bohning insert iron, and I won't ever use anything else now.
          They stay put until you want them out.

Rick

Comment

Rick,

Thanks that's what I was looking for, I will get me some. The Easton hot melt that I picked up this morning has worked on one test arrow for about a dozen shots which makes it 12x better than what I had. I will order the insert iron today. Thanks again!!!

Comment

Those inserts have a coating on them when new. I run mine under the wire brush on my grinder and then wipe down with acetone. I use the expensive ($15) two-part 5 minute epoxy from Home Depot for my glue. I also run a .22 cliber wire bore cleaning brush in the end of my GT shafts and then clean the inside of the shafts with alcohol and a Q-Tip. I rarely lose an insert doing it this way.

Bisch

Comment

Hot melt does not work well for carbon arrows.

I rarely scuff the inside of the shaft but I always clean them with either laquer thinner, alcohol, or acetone with a q-tip and I wash the inserts in a jar of laquer thinner.
                I use either Insert Iron or JB Weld (which is no more than a 2-part epoxy.) Both require at least a 24 hour cure time unless you use JB Quick which sets up pretty fast.

Wayne

Comment

Working...
                X