Blue Elbow Swamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Elbow Swamp

Has anyone ever hunted blue elbow swamp near 1-10 and the louisiana border. I am told the placed is covered up in hogs, but is a voodoo/snake infested place. I have a canoe and plan to walk in hunt and hunt from the bayou that cuts through it. any tips would be greatly appreciated

I grew up and live in Orange, which is in the area, and I have never seen an over abundance of hogs. I have only duck hunted that area and that was several years ago, but one would think there would be a certain amount of "sightings" and an occasional road kill that I just don't see.

I am not trying to discourage you because the place may be covered up with them, but I do think that you should revisit your source and make sure that his honey hole is everything he says it is.

Good Luck!

Comment

Blue Elbow

I have hunted blue elbow for several years prior to Hurricane Ike. There were tons of hogs in the area. I do no know if the high flood waters affected them since I have not been back since 2008. It was very difficult to hunt them during the day. We mainly tried to stalk them which was tough considering most of the area is covered is 6-12" of water. We did manage to shoot a few each year and saw many more than that. This is not as sporting, but when we wanted to garrauntee we would get a hog, we would go at night and drive up and down the buyous with our boats shoot the hogs with shotguns.

Comment

thanks guys, I'm heading out today to scout the area. might just bring the rifle on my trip..in case i cant get close enough with a bow

Comment

Let me know how the scouting goes. Just curious if the hurricane affected the area. We saw/shot most of our hogs in the third long ditch past the I-10 bridge, but they were everywhere.

Comment

We hunted blue elbow from canoe in the third long ditch all the way up to past where the big pipe comes out into it. We hunted it for 12 hours but never saw a hog. If we saw an area that had some oaks we would go ashore to see if there were any in the acorns but saw none. A couple of spots we stopped were heavy loaded with sign..but no luck. It was an awesome paddle trip though, but parking under that I-10 bridge was sketchy..alot of broken window glass there. A boat with a motor would have been better as it would have allowed us to stay farther in to the last minute of light. We also hunted the land portion off pine bluff rd. My friend saw two hogs and took a shot at one in the fading light but did not connect. If i get a little motor for my canoe I will try it again.

Comment

good luck

Comment

Oops, should have warned you about parking under I-10. I agree kinda of sketchy. I put in at the city park a little farther south and run back north, but I have an aluminum boat. As you notices there are a few stands of oaks in the areas, and they are the best spots to start looking for hogs. Lately it has been dry in our area so stalking may be easier. Come a few weeks and some rain and the place gets hard to hunt. I have never hunted off of bluff rd. I just assumed there would be to much pressure in those areas since it is easier to get to.

Comment

Originally posted by BVM View Post
                  I have hunted blue elbow for several years prior to Hurricane Ike. There were tons of hogs in the area. I do no know if the high flood waters affected them since I have not been back since 2008. It was very difficult to hunt them during the day. We mainly tried to stalk them which was tough considering most of the area is covered is 6-12" of water. We did manage to shoot a few each year and saw many more than that. This is not as sporting, but when we wanted to garrauntee we would get a hog, we would go at night and drive up and down the buyous with our boats shoot the hogs with shotguns.
                  Slightly illegal straight from the Outdoor Annual and the TPWD website.

It is against the law to:

-hunt any wild animal or wild bird, including exotic animals, on foot or from a vehicle on any public road or road right-of-way, or a boat on public water, except that migratory waterfowl may be hunted from a boat or any floating craft (except a sink box) under certain conditions. (See Migratory Game Bird.)

Blue Elbow Swamp does not allow shotguns with buckshot as a legal means to take feral hogs and they may not be hunted at night; daytime only with other legal means & methods; no dogs.

Comment

that 3rd cut is pretty good bass fishing too !!

Comment

Point taken... Completely - agree - never said it was legal. I only stated what we used to do when I was much younger and dumber to get easy meat and thin out the hogs.

Comment

Anyone been hunting hogs out at Blue Elbow lately? Any tips or useful info? I am making a trip to Orange for business this week/weekend and thought I would give it a shot. I've never been there before.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Anyone in the Orange, TX area up for some hog hunting this weekend? I will be in Orange Thurs night to Sunday evening (10/4 - 10/7) and was hoping to do a little spot and stalk out there.

I've never been to Blue Elbow so it will be a learning experience for sure. I will be in Orange for business so I am limited to early mornings or evenings. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Comment

If you want to PM me i can answer any questions i can from my 3 day hunt there. I wouldn't hunt it by myself, we noticed some meth activity in the portion that can be accessed by land, and as i mentioned above you need to be concerned about where you leave your vehicle

Comment

Working...
                              X