Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insulation in a Krivo / Poly Tank / Shell style blind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever tried to put insulation on the walls of a poly shell style blind? Spray-in closed cell foam, insulated panels, radiant barrier sheeting, etc.

I've searched all over TBH and can't seem to find anyone that has done anything like this.Just trying to figure out ways to keep the interior temps lower in my big boy Krivoman. What I see as my options:

1. Spray-in closed cell foam - Costly & unsure of effectiveness
    2. Buying the insulated panels and fastening to walls - Cheap & easier
    3. Paint exterior roof area with radiant barrier paint - unsure of effectiveness
    4. Adding a floor / lower wall vent - Cheapest & easiest
    5. A 12v radiator fan fixed to either a vent or a wall

I'm leaning toward adding a vent to the floor & gluing radiant barrier sheet to the inside walls. I'm a little concerned that the glue may not hold well due to the natural condensation build-up they are notorious for due to being so air tight.

The blind already has the vent that Mitch installs but has anyone tried putting a vent in the floor of the platform or one down on the lower part of the walls to help get a draft?

Comment

My dad isntalled insulation in ours. I think he screwed it to the walls. I would have to look. It does seem to work too. He also added vents to the walls. No real problems with it and it is very comfortable. We aren't sitting in there in July but it is doable for September-May.

Comment

I was thinking of adding a radiant barrier, but the sheets, not the paint. I think your best best is to get it to draft, so the roof vent and floor vent would be your best option. Even if you insulated it, without the draft to move the hot air out it would just finally reach the outside temperature at some point and then stay hotter longer as there would be a delay once the outside temp cools off in the latter part of the day. Make sense?

I have two of Mitch’s blinds and think they’re the best blind on the market. Mine are tan and do not get near as hot as the green ones. I plan to build a small platform for mine to get them off the ground and will probably go with the floor vent to add to the roof vent to increase the draft. But then, I might not just to avoid another path for the wasps to get in the blind. I’m not in them in the Summer months anyway.

Comment

Foam

Spray foam would work great

I have a guy here in mesquite that does a great job in our blinds

Comment

I posted the below in another Krivo thread.

I know this will work, you could add foil between the mats and blind wall to help.

I'm thinking about insulating a couple of my tank blinds with some of those anti-fatigue/workout foam mats. Much cheaper than the egg crate.

The ones at costco are relatively pliable and should help provide some insulation from the sun.

I would probably us a staple gun or self-tap screws to secure them to the tank along with some industrial adhesive like liquid nails.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
              I posted the below in another Krivo thread.

I know this will work, you could add foil between the mats and blind wall to help.

I'm thinking about insulating a couple of my tank blinds with some of those anti-fatigue/workout foam mats. Much cheaper than the egg crate.

The ones at costco are relatively pliable and should help provide some insulation from the sun.

I would probably us a staple gun or self-tap screws to secure them to the tank along with some industrial adhesive like liquid nails.

https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-P...m+workout+mats
              The egg crate is purely for sound dampenening, not thermal insulation. Those mats you are suggesting will provide very little insulation.

Comment

I put radiant barrier paint in my cabin. It made a huge difference. Henry liquid foil is what i used on my cabin. It wasnt cheap 300 for 5 gallons, but made a very noticeable difference.

Comment

From a guy who put the foam insulation in 4 6x6 box blinds and also hunts out of an uninsulated identical blind build, I can vouch that insulation in a blind is overrated. The difference is not much at all...hot and cold....unless you keep the windows closed. But if you keep the windows closed (but still vented) with a Mr. buddy heater it will warm up either way. Plus you don't have to worry about bumping it or getting the foam everywhere. When I build more if I don't just do Krivomans, they will be uninsulated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Humper5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	24556040

Name:	Humper6.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	24556041

Name:	IMG_2343.jpg
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	24556042

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                    The egg crate is purely for sound dampenening, not thermal insulation. Those mats you are suggesting will provide very little insulation.
                    I'm curious why you think it.

I'm my experience these/all blinds radiate heat through whatever side or wall is getting the direct Sunlight. If you add any type of foam to that side it should lessen the effects.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                      I'm curious why you think it.

I'm my experience these/all blinds radiate heat through whatever side or wall is getting the direct Sunlight. If you add any type of foam to that side it should lessen the effects.
                      It would only provide insulation for a very short period, maybe less than an hour. Then it would start to heat up and reach the point it’s as hot, or hotter, inside than outside. The air needs to vent out and escape the blind, your best bet would be to add vents, top and bottom to allow air to flow.

I would save your money on those mats and add vents. But make them bug proof.

Comment

Mine is on a platform. I have thought about adding a vent in the platform and adding a fan on the roof vent in an attempt to get some airflow. The problem with that is you have created a system to very effectively pump your scent into the air. I guess you could then rig an Ozonics on the roof vent. After considering all the alternatives I have gone a simpler route - I don't hunt the Krivo if it is over 80 degrees.

Comment

Good advice. I'll definitely do the vents, probably paint the outside a lighter color, and try the radiant barrier paint on the roof.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a bug-proof vent?

Comment

I’ve not done it yet but I was toying with the idea of installing Armaflex closed cell pipe insulation in my Maverick. They come in sheets and are very flexible. It would surely add some weight to the blind but the sound dampening and insulating properties would be great.

To me ventilating the blind is totally counterproductive to the scent control that they offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Last edited by Mike D; 10-12-2018, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Believe Tank Blinds insulates theirs.

Comment

Working...
                              X