No announcement yet.

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow and green. Saw deer moving in the hills, but they had no interest in coming down to feeders. Will be trying again this saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
      Seems like this happens every year down there. My buddy will send tons of pics of animals in/around the feeders and we go down and struggle to see anything. May hold off making the 7 hour drive until we get a hard freeze and kill back some of the green.
      It happened to us the first time last year. It was like someone turned a light switch off a week before Thanksgiving. We had piles of corn on the ground underneath the feeders until the end of the season. Both last year and this year we had pictures every morning and every evening at EVERY stand. I hope it doesn't end up like last year.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteZ28Bow View Post
        Slow and green. Saw deer moving in the hills, but they had no interest in coming down to feeders. Will be trying again this saturday.
        That is what the guys that hunt the property to the north of me. They have more open area than we do and they dropped off guys at the deer stands to bow hunt and then they just posted up in the Ranger on a hill top. They saw deer moving around and the guys at the feeders didn't see jack.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDownSouth View Post
          I would like to see what yalls thoughts are on age and score on the bucks that Patron posted for me ? Any help would be greatly appreciated
          The only input I have is the deer in the second to last picture looks like an old deer. The sway in his back is the biggest indicator to me.

Comment

It’s so green that my uncle decided to temporarily turn off all of the feeders yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
              Went and looked at our Weather Station history; this is for ~15 miles North of Camp Wood

Jan 0.13"
              Feb 0.35"
              Mar 0.40"
              Apr 1.15"
              May 1.03"
              Jun 0"
              (3.06"-First 6 months of 2018)

Jul 1.1"
              Aug 4.28"
              Sep 6.48"
              (11.86" July-Sep 17th)

28" rain is the annual average for Edwards County, we are at 14.92"
              Sep. total- 8.89"
              Oct. 1st-8th- 2.71" and still falling

20.04" on the year, more than half of that in the last 38 days.

Comment

We got a email today from our ranch owner that all the low road crossings are washed out. And fences are laid over.

Comment

Had 3 bucks under feeder from 7:30-8:15. All three older, grey, and good bodied. I could not shoot any due to the antler restrictions. Sure wish I could get them deer out of there before they breed. But I guess it is what it is. Have not seen the good bucks come back from September on camera.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDownSouth View Post
                    We got a email today from our ranch owner that all the low road crossings are washed out. And fences are laid over.
                    That may scatter some high fence herds......

Comment

I'm 15 miles due east of CW and 5 miles north of Reagan Wells.

I heard this morning that we got 6.5" last night which resulted in a 7ft water rise in the Dry Frio.

I had a trip planned for this weekend but had to cancel.

Earliest I could probably get in would be late Thursday.

50% and 60% chances for rain this weekend are just to risky for me at the moment.

Going to be really tough hunting up there until Thanksgiving or the first hard freeze.

Hopefully all this rain has knocked most of the acorns out of the trees.

At this point, I'm just hoping the road damage inside the ranch doesn't require heavy machinery to fix.

I'll likely have to close down a couple of feeder locations this season.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteZ28Bow View Post
                        Had 3 bucks under feeder from 7:30-8:15. All three older, grey, and good bodied. I could not shoot any due to the antler restrictions. Sure wish I could get them deer out of there before they breed. But I guess it is what it is. Have not seen the good bucks come back from September on camera.
                        Lease imposed Antler Restrictions?

Comment

We hunt up 55 north of Rocksprings about 10 miles. The guy that runs cows on our place told my dad today there was water running in places he has never seen it run. He also said the acorns are falling like crazy. Going to be a slow go hunting wise for awhile.

Comment

I sure am glad I got my Sika kills this weekend. Looks like we may not be able to get back on the ranch for a bit.

Comment

Just got home yesterday, saw some road damage on 377 and on 41...Lots of high fences down.

Comment

we got another 3" last night

Not sure what we got this morning but I know we got something, the Radar was pretty red at 10am.

Comment

Working...
                                X