Swarovski: SLC vs. EL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swarovski: SLC vs. EL

What are folks hands on thoughts? Are the EL’s worth the extra $5-600? Looking at the 10X42 models. Leaning towards the SLC’s. I’ve had leupold 10x42 for around 17 years Now so either is going to be a huge upgrade.

EL or go home!
    I think they are worth the extra...Not near as much strain on the eyes.
    But you are correct, the slc will be a major improvement.

Comment

EL for sure! I say that because I own the SLC and suffer from bino-envy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kenner27 View Post
        What are folks hands on thoughts? Are the EL’s worth the extra $5-600? Looking at the 10X42 models. Leaning towards the SLC’s. I’ve had leupold 10x42 for around 17 years Now so either is going to be a huge upgrade.
        It would be a good idea to look through both before making a choice if you can....although there really isn't a wrong choice between the two. Both are awesome.
        The field flattening on the EL's really make the image pop, but some folks see a "rolling ball" effect on the image as you scan and move. I see it, but it doesn't really bother me that much. The hinge set up is better on the EL as well. But........the SLC doesn't have the extra lens for the field flattening so it will have better light transmission and low-light performance. Other than the extra lens, both models share the exact same glass. Some folks also feel the SLC makes certain darker colors(like deer hair) stand out in shadows better.

To my eyes, the EL is the clear winner during normal daylight conditions. I give a slight edge to the SLC at dawn and dusk. Both really do everything well and you won't regret either.

Comment

If you like / live to glass animals in detail for long periods then you will want to pay for the EL's...if you only use them for 'looking / observing' at objects for brief periods but STILL want temp top quality, then save the $$$ for the slc's

The EL's simply shine for long use to avoid eye strain...if you don't live behind the glass in a blind then the slc's are a much better value as they are still in the top shelf glass category..

Comment

For what it's worth, I bought a pair of Swarovski 10x42 SLC first. I wanted the EL's but they were out of them at the time. The lighter weight of the EL's, the more comfortable grip, and the crisper clarity or sharpness when adjusting the focus dial were things I decided I could not live without. I sold the SLC and bought the EL's. I've had them for years and they are an exceptional piece of glass.

Good luck to you on the decision. 10 people might give you 10 different answers but I would say Yes, the EL's are worth the extra coin.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
              It would be a good idea to look through both before making a choice if you can....although there really isn't a wrong choice between the two. Both are awesome.

The field flattening on the EL's really make the image pop, but some folks see a "rolling ball" effect on the image as you scan and move. I see it, but it doesn't really bother me that much. The hinge set up is better on the EL as well. But........the SLC doesn't have the extra lens for the field flattening so it will have better light transmission and low-light performance. Other than the extra lens, both models share the exact same glass. Some folks also feel the SLC makes certain darker colors(like deer hair) stand out in shadows better.

To my eyes, the EL is the clear winner during normal daylight conditions. I give a slight edge to the SLC at dawn and dusk. Both really do everything well and you won't regret either.

Interesting.

I will say that you can see well past legal shooting light with the ELs. I don’t have any experience with the SLCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by kenner27 View Post
                I have several pair (for the family) and my 10x42 el range are much more crisp to my eyes. They almost seem to be like HD vs non HD. Again, this is just for my eyes and I still like my 15x56 slc for th extra power. Can’t go wrong with either, but that’s my take.

Comment

I just use my thermal monocular and I find all the animals immediately. ����

Comment

You may start seeing better deals on the EL being Swarovski just introduced the NL Pure.

Comment

I love my el!

Comment

I’m looking into a set of 15x56 SLC because they don’t make the EL in a 15. I don’t think you can go wrong, but for me the extra magnification is where I’m leaning

Comment

The new NL Pure’s are unreal!!

Comment

I struggle with this question.. I bought the SLC because I like the size and the way they fit in a bino harness for bowhunting.. That said.. I kind of still envy the guys that have Els even tho I am completely happy with my SLC lol..

I think I am going to keep my SLC and then buy either a set of 15 SLC or a Spotter with the extra money

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                              I struggle with this question.. I bought the SLC because I like the size and the way they fit in a bino harness for bowhunting.. That said.. I kind of still envy the guys that have Els even tho I am completely happy with my SLC lol..

I think I am going to keep my SLC and then buy either a set of 15 SLC or a Spotter with the extra money
                              The 15s are heavy for sure trying to freehand. They are good with any type of rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X