X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any master electricians on here?

I have 2 questions regarding the NEC.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I am. What are the questions? PM if you like.

Comment

Here. What’s the question?

Comment

Have you ever had an exception or is there a loophole for plugs not being every 6ft? I have a house with a window wall and no place for a plug between due to structural framing.

Also, same house, my generator is closer than 3 ft from an ac compressor. The code I believe says it cant be any closer than 3ft from an air intake...I think is what it says. And if that is the case, technically, the compressor isnt an intake, it just compresses the air in the system. Is there a loophole here or a work around? Really dont have the space to move the compressor or generator.

Thx.

Comment

I thought outlets were every 12'?

Comment

I understand that you must have an electrical receptacle 6 feet from any obstruction or break in the wall, such as a doorway, and no more than 12 feet from the previous electrical receptacle. Doe...

View the NEC as if it's the Game & Fish rule book. View your local inspector as the Game Warden. At the end of the day, nobody knows *** is going on .

Your generator is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
              I thought outlets were every 12'?
              Yes technically they are. I said 6ft as that is the length of cord used between them all if a fixture is between 2 plugs

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                Have you ever had an exception or is there a loophole for plugs not being every 6ft? I have a house with a window wall and no place for a plug between due to structural framing.

Also, same house, my generator is closer than 3 ft from an ac compressor. The code I believe says it cant be any closer than 3ft from an air intake...I think is what it says. And if that is the case, technically, the compressor isnt an intake, it just compresses the air in the system. Is there a loophole here or a work around? Really dont have the space to move the compressor or generator.

Thx.

Code is 5' from an entrance to the structure for the generator exhaust. Make sure the generator exhaust is not pointing at the compressor (you don't want to put that heat on the compressor).

Comment

Unless you have a package unit, you do not have an indoor air intake on your condensing unit. The only restriction between your generator and a/c would be for maintenance clearance. This would be mechanical code though.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                    Unless you have a package unit, you do not have an indoor air intake on your condensing unit. The only restriction between your generator and a/c would be for maintenance clearance. This would be mechanical code though.
                    That is what we thought.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                      What do you mean by a package unit?

Comment

Package unit is where the whole hvac system is in one box outside, with ducts attached to it. Most homes have split systems where the heat is transferred through refrigerant from an indoor unit (furnace or air handler) to the outdoor unit.

Comment

That ac compressor is compressing refrigerant, not air. No issues being next to the generator.

Comment

Yes, a package unit is a commercial rooftop unit typically, but they are used for mobile homes, and sometimes on the ground beside houses. Self contained except for duct system.

Comment

Working...
                            X