My Wild Kitchen - New Post - Fried Squirrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Wild Kitchen - New Post - Fried Squirrel

This is a great way to get the little ones to add to the dinner table. Take a kid squirrel hunting today. They'll love contributing to supper, and here's how to cook it so everyone will love it.

luv me some tree rats ... looks great

Comment

I love some fried squirrel, but haven't had it in years. I have been planning on taking my boy this year though.

Comment

Love that and squirrel and dumplings

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
          Love that and squirrel and dumplings
          We've never done squirrel and dumplings before. May have to give that a shot. If the kids will let us make it any way but fried.

Comment

Just saw this at 6:30 in the morning and now I'm hungry for some squirrel!

And I second the squirrel and dumplins.

I also keep up with your wifes recipes. A lot of good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
              Just saw this at 6:30 in the morning and now I'm hungry for some squirrel!

And I second the squirrel and dumplins.

I also keep up with your wifes recipes. A lot of good stuff.
              Thanks! She was pretty nervous about sharing a squirrel recipe, what with all the squirrel haters in the world, but the feedback has been pretty good. She has another squirrel recipe coming in the next week or so.

Comment

I heard its good to boil them a little while before frying them toake them tender? Anyone do this? My fil fried some up and was so excited till he took a bite. Said it was like chewing on boot leather. Tossed it all!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                  I heard its good to boil them a little while before frying them toake them tender? Anyone do this? My fil fried some up and was so excited till he took a bite. Said it was like chewing on boot leather. Tossed it all!
                  Never heard of boiling, and never needed to. But the back legs are definitely more tender than the front, and the backstraps were great. I think age and condition will play a big part, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                    for frying,
                    if you got some of the big ol' fox/red squirrels it helps a lot,
                    smaller cat squirrels dont need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach View Post
                      Thanks! She was pretty nervous about sharing a squirrel recipe, what with all the squirrel haters in the world, but the feedback has been pretty good. She has another squirrel recipe coming in the next week or so.
                      There's a lot of things you can make with squirrel meat. I've made tacos, tamales, pulled BBQ samiches, soup...... all kinds of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X