Best food plot for 30 acres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best food plot for 30 acres?

Have some land in south west Johnson County and wondering what would be the best food plot for a small tract of land.

Contact Turner Seed in Breckenridge

Comment

I'd use Buckforage Oats and Turner Seed fall wildlife blend no matter if I hunted 10A or 10000A's.

Comment

Called Them

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
        Contact Turner Seed in Breckenridge
        I gave them a call I think it sounds good at a good price. I going to starting tilling the soil this weekend.

Comment

Not to high-jack your thread but when is the best time of the year to plant?

Is it best to only plant the area you will be hunting or just a large area to get the deer on your property eating healthy?

Comment

As much as I like Turners I've become a pretty big believer in limiting WHAT you plant to what will grow good.. If you have not done soil tests and already know what kind of soil you have and moisture I would do your own small mix this year.. Oats/Winter Wheat and maybe a Winter Pea or Cow Peas..

Its hard to go wrong with that mix and will do well in varying soil conditions.. See how it does for ya.. There is a lot of STUFF in the Turner mix as well as almost all the other seed mixes.. A lot of it won't grow unless your soil conditions are right.

Keep it simple- a few different browse choices- and your hopefully will be good to go..

Just my .02 and what I'm doing for my plot..

Justin Seed has Seed Oats- $11.50 for 50#, Wheat- $10 for 50#, and Austrian Winter Peas- $27.50 per #50

Comment

Originally posted by Leftridge View Post
              As much as I like Turners I've become a pretty big believer in limiting WHAT you plant to what will grow good.. If you have not done soil tests and already know what kind of soil you have and moisture I would do your own small mix this year.. Oats/Winter Wheat and maybe a Winter Pea or Cow Peas..

Its hard to go wrong with that mix and will do well in varying soil conditions.. See how it does for ya.. There is a lot of STUFF in the Turner mix as well as almost all the other seed mixes.. A lot of it won't grow unless your soil conditions are right.

Keep it simple- a few different browse choices- and your hopefully will be good to go..

Just my .02 and what I'm doing for my plot..

Justin Seed has Seed Oats- $11.50 for 50#, Wheat- $10 for 50#, and Austrian Winter Peas- $27.50 per #50
              Thanks for the advice

Comment

Not sure on 30 acres, but for small plots, an acre or two, Thro n Grow works good. My son and I have had good success.

Comment

Working...
                X