Taxi question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxi question

I shot chocolate horned 9 point last year on a MLD property. I took the head to my taxi and he skinned the head and skulled the horns. He then hung the horns up inside his shop and said the mount should be ready around June 1. I call him on the first and found out that he had fallen very ill and had not started the mount and said I could come get it if I wanted, so I did. When I got there my rack had been hanging out side for a considerable time as most of the chocolate has faded from the rack. My question is can the color be put back in them and who would you recomend to mount this buck? I do have several pics to show how dark the rack was and I really want it back to original.
    Thanks and God Bless, Joe

A good taxi can darken up the horns fairly easily.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
      A good taxi can darken up the horns fairly easily.
      This. I'd still mount him.

Comment

potassium permanganate brushed on in light coats will bring it back. And never drop your stuff off to a taxidermist that stores the antlers outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
          potassium permanganate brushed on in light coats will bring it back. And never drop your stuff off to a taxidermist that stores the antlers outside.
          When I dropped them off all his waiting work were hanging from a couple wires inside his shop, he probably had 20-30 racks ahead of mine. I never thought someone would take them outside and leave them.
          Any recommendation on a good taxi somewhere in the Tyler area?

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
            This...

Comment

Old english furniture polish, the lighter one works perfect....rub on with paper towel...soak your head in water for a month it will come out clean as if it were boiled....

Comment

Soak your skull first....horns are easy to bring back to chocolate....

Comment

heres one I did from last yr...

I darkened these with old english.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Also cut out the plywood sanded and darkened that plywood u see too...

Comment

Name of taxi please

Comment

The Texas State Taxidermy Competition is going to be in Tyler the weekend of June 27. Go check it out and pick you a taxidermist out!!

Comment

I always take my horns with me and then return them when he's ready to actually put them on the mannequin. There are too many bad things that can happen when they are not in your possession. And by doing it this way, I can pet on the horns for the six months that he's waiting on the cape and my spot in line.

Comment

People hate hearing this but I don't believe in skimping on taxidermy. Use a good one and get it mounted.

Comment

Working...
                            X