A great memory from Chester!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great memory from Chester!

A buddy and me got to Chester around 9:30 Saturday morning got signed up, talked to a few folks and went and shot our first round. We had a great round and scored well for guys that like to tuck the arrow in behind the shoulder. After we shot our first round we took a break and sat around with Rob and J.J. Before going out and shooting another round. While we were shooting we bumped in to a few other groups and shot with a few of them. We got to the skeeter and a dad and his 6 yr old son were having a ball. We stopped and I asked how they were shooting, the dad (I can't recall his name) swelled up and pulled his sons card out!!! There were way more 10s and 8s than the other so I had to see this little man sling a few arrows! He stepped up to the little bear target and took aim, he drew and let the string slip away like he had been shooting for 20 yrs and the arrow found it's mark!!! Another 10 for the score card, the little man raised his arms and bow in the air and proudly shouted "KILLED IT"!!!! Made my day and certainly his dads. We all gave him a atta boy and congratulated his dad for the job he had done thus far on a kid that will no doubt grow up with archery deep rooted in his life. We walked away talking about how that was what it was about and were glad that our paths crossed with an awesome father and son team!!! Just thought I would share with you guys and if it was you and your son that we met up with I'm sorry that I can't remember your names but I will surely remember him raising his bow and letting us all know who was boss!!!

Clay

That's awesome! I love to see the little ones enjoying shooting. Wish I could have made it to meet you Clay.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampGhost View Post
      That's awesome! I love to see the little ones enjoying shooting. Wish I could have made it to meet you Clay.
      I asked around to see if you made it, we will have to plan a TBH traditional get together. I got more crappie in the freezer than my family can eat and I know were and how to get more lol! A fish fry and some 3-D targets sounds pretty good to me!

Clay

Comment

That's awesome!!!

Comment

I didn't make it either this year. Good post.

Comment

I think I ran into the same man and his son when we finished our round. They were sitting on the porch of the refreshment shack and the dad had just finished tallying their score cards...the son scored 76 points better than his dad!

Comment

Originally posted by CEpperson View Post
              I asked around to see if you made it, we will have to plan a TBH traditional get together. I got more crappie in the freezer than my family can eat and I know were and how to get more lol! A fish fry and some 3-D targets sounds pretty good to me!

Clay
              That sounds real good to me!
              I like to eat them slabs as much as I like to catch them

Comment

Great story, Clay!

I wondered if you were going to make it. I guess I was out on the course when you were around the pavilion and vice-versa.

Catch ya at the next one,

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  Great story, Clay!

I wondered if you were going to make it. I guess I was out on the course when you were around the pavilion and vice-versa.

Catch ya at the next one,

Bisch
                  I tried to hunt you down, I had to get back around the house and tend to the house chores like a good husband!!! I'll be at the Tyler shoot for sure if I'm not on a drilling rig that weekend.

Clay

Comment

A buddy and me got to Chester around 9:30 Saturday morning got signed up, talked to a few folks and went and shot our first round. We had a great round and scored well for guys that like to tuck the arrow in behind the shoulder. After we shot our first round we took a break and sat around with Rob and J.J. Before going out and shooting another round. While we were shooting we bumped in to a few other groups and shot with a few of them. We got to the skeeter and a dad and his 6 yr old son were having a ball. We stopped and I asked how they were shooting, the dad (I can't recall his name) swelled up and pulled his sons card out!!! There were way more 10s and 8s than the other so I had to see this little man sling a few arrows! He stepped up to the little bear target and took aim, he drew and let the string slip away like he had been shooting for 20 yrs and the arrow found it's mark!!! Another 10 for the score card, the little man raised his arms and bow in the air and proudly shouted "KILLED IT"!!!! Made my day and certainly his dads. We all gave him a atta boy and congratulated his dad for the job he had done thus far on a kid that will no doubt grow up with archery deep rooted in his life. We walked away talking about how that was what it was about and were glad that our paths crossed with an awesome father and son team!!! Just thought I would share with you guys and if it was you and your son that we met up with I'm sorry that I can't remember your names but I will surely remember him raising his bow and letting us all know who was boss!!!

Clay
                    Were you in a group of 3? I am pretty sure that was my son and I. Cortlyn shot a 221 and ended up in 3 or 4th. I am so very proud of him showing that bear who was boss like that. It was a lot of fun and had a great time.

Comment

Very Cool

Comment

Originally posted by chester12 View Post
                        Were you in a group of 3? I am pretty sure that was my son and I. Cortlyn shot a 221 and ended up in 3 or 4th. I am so very proud of him showing that bear who was boss like that. It was a lot of fun and had a great time.
                        Yes sir that was me, congrats again on raising a fine young man! I have two daughters one is 5 and the other is 3 months old. Seeing Cortlyn shoot that longbow got me fired up, I'm on the hunt for a good kid bow for my oldest girl now. 3rd place is awesome, I know your proud of him and I bet next year he will be hard to beat!!!

Clay

Comment

Yes sir that was me, congrats again on raising a fine young man! I have two daughters one is 5 and the other is 3 months old. Seeing Cortlyn shoot that longbow got me fired up, I'm on the hunt for a good kid bow for my oldest girl now. 3rd place is awesome, I know your proud of him and I bet next year he will be hard to beat!!!

Clay
                          Clay get her started already, I started Cortie at 3 and did not push him till he was ready to start shooting, and asking about it. Now he will go out by himself and shoot for a hour or so with him wanting to shoot, not being asked to shoot.

One thing that I would really suggest is to make sure that you get her a decent bow to start with, I know that it cost more money, but if they have a good bow to start with it really helps keep them in it. Lots of good bowyers that make good kids bows, I like St Joe's Bows, I saw a very nice Sarrell's Newt at Chester that looked very nice too. Good luck.

Next year he will be in the next class, so he might not do as well, but he will learn from that too, I hope that it will cause him to work harder to do better.

Comment

St Joe River bow, out of Mizzery is one that I was talking about. One nice thing about them with the youth bows, is they will buy back your old one as long as it is decent condition and allow that money to be used to purchase a newer bigger bow. Oneway here might be a good source to check for youth bows too (under the broadheadbarn.com), getting kids shooting gets me fired up, I could give you a bunch more suggestions for places that I have found, but I will just stop at this time.
                            Last edited by chester12; 05-20-2013, 08:27 AM. Reason: More info added

Comment

Great story. I am especially fond of it my father raised me up in archery and I can't say how glad I am to have done it. This boy will undoubtedly feel same and become a great archer by the sounds of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X