Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Default Fess up, we all know you have done something Stupid

After getting a headache reading the "Tree stand accident thread"

Here is a wonderful thread to fess up on stupid things that you have done, or just bad choices..

Example: Big ole fire burning outside you have the awesome idea to toss that old dresser into it and let it burn, yeap ya forgot about all those handgun rounds rolling around in it...yeap, that left a mark...
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
tvc184
Pope & Young

Not until after I retire.....
tvc184 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

My list is pretty long
but I did fall from a tree when I decided to trust the 2x4 steps nailed to a tree that had obviously been there for 30 years. On the way down I remember thinking....your and idiot
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
John Paul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal

One time I sold a ranch and I found a box of Navy Flares in the barn. Well, after a few drinks one evening in the middle of summer we touched a few of those off. If you have ever had the experience of shooting one off you know its cool. The 50 acres of pasture I burned up wasn't so good though. Imagine a little torch coming down slow underneath a parachute into 300 acres of dry, hot KR bluestem.
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
Jerry H
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Sorry I don't remember her name
Jerry H is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

I shot a rifle from a inside an insulated box blind without sticking the barrel out the window. It was mounted on a field pod. No hearing protection. After that I couldn't hear well for days and my tinnitus has been much worse ever since. Absolutely one of the dumbest things I've ever done.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
That's classifieds, lol!
arrowsmack324 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H View Post
Sorry I don't remember her name

Just one!! Slacker!!
Old 12-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
Deer Tamales
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan/Tom Green County

No Speaky English....
Deer Tamales is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #10
Jerry H
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
Just one!! Slacker!!
Jerry H is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #11
stickbowcoop
Eight Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

Our last house was built in the 60's. It had that really old ugly paneling like in old mobile homes. We were tearing it off and drywalling after new insulation, wiring, etc. There was a closet wall and I thought I would be funny and just punch it to knock it off the wall. There was a 2x4 stud behind. One broken finger later and when my brother finally stopped laughing we finished the room .
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

Try steer dogging of the side of a step side pick up. 3 times on a gravel road.
They always said I was a slow learner.
wow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #13
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Got married! And stayed married.....well until she reads this. LOL

Kinda hope she doesn't read this.....kinda.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #14
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Towed a boat down the road one night. Without a trailer. Tried like heck to get a buddy to ride in it. He refused
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #15
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

Hmm there’s been a few, I locked my keys in the car while me and my gf at the time we’re naked OUTSIDE of the car.

I recently accidentally took a swig of my own pee. The other day I peed in a lemon lime Gatorade bottle and forgot that I did that. Well the next day I took a swig of it and immediately knew the horrific think I’ve done. Instant shame.
boh347 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #16
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Got pulled behind a Oldsmobile 442 via a long rope tied to a hole drilled in a big *** cutting disc.......... down a gravel road....with turns and steel culverts in the ditches....@30+mph

An ambulance , bones, cuts, and burns were involved.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #17
DJM
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills Co,Coryell Co,Lampasas Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
On the way down I remember thinking....your and idiot
Sadly,I've had this happen a couple times...................or Man this is gonna hurt.

DJ
DJM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #18
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

My fingers would get sore trying to list mine.......
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #19
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I would but I don't wanna walk you through 28 years of life. That'd probably crash this website.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #20
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

When I was younger and just bought by first house...I had a barbecue....that night I threw the "ashes" over my wooden fence in the backyard (pipeline easement).

The next morning I woke up and looked outside and half my fence had burned down and was smoldering. Luckily it was foggy and wet that night or it might have been catastrophic.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #21
Pstraw
Six Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Well put some more wood on the fire and drag up a chair. Once upon a time....
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #22
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

one that sticks out is trying to shoot the mud out of the end of the barrel of $69 New England Arms 410 when I was about 14. lucky for me it was a cheap gun the barrel mushroomed and split instead of blowing out towards my face.

there are many, many more.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #23
SaltyMutt
Four Point

It is wise not to try and "Modify" Fireworks. Many fire fighters and acres of brush taught me that lesson.
SaltyMutt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #24
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

This would go in the I have done some stupid stuff in my life but nothing lately so I was overdue category.....About 2 weeks ago I was at the lease in Harper. It was Sunday afternoon and everyone else had already left. I had hunted my back stand the evening before and realized that I should have really trimmed some of the trees. IN one of my stands I could hear deer eating corn but could not even get a glimpse of them until it was too late to get a shot. Anyway I went out an hour or so early. I did not have a saw but figured that I could break enough limbs out of the way to improve my view. This is the hill country so the trees were live oaks. I climbed into the first tree aqnd managed to get the limbs pulled off the tree. At the next tree I had a problem. About 12 feet up was a limb I needed gone but it was way to large for me to break off the tree. I decided I could get on the limb and at least break the branches off of it. There was a small scrub oak type of a tree under it.that kind of grew horizontal before doubling back. I easily climbed into it and made the leap to the limb 12 foot off of the ground. Now at 52 years of age I don't jump quite like I use too but I made the leap without issues other than the limb I jumped too must have had a weak spot. It snapped off even with the trunk of the tree. I landed on the horizontal part of the scrub oak about a foot off the ground. Hit me right across the lower back. My first thought was to see if my legs worked...they did. Back is still a little on the sore side today. Good news is I can now see the feeder fine.....

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #25
bollomb
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Towed a boat down the road one night. Without a trailer. Tried like heck to get a buddy to ride in it. He refused
Tried that one night in Planterville about 10 yrs ago with a aluminum boat behind a truck.. The cops weren't to happy when they showed up. The neighbors called and said sounds like the train de-railed and came off the tracks
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #26
jshouse
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMutt View Post
It is wise not to try and "Modify" Fireworks. Many fire fighters and acres of brush taught me that lesson.
I have a minor bottle rocket and field on fire story, but they were stock bottle rockets.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #27
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
This would go in the I have done some stupid stuff in my life but nothing lately so I was overdue category.....About 2 weeks ago I was at the lease in Harper. It was Sunday afternoon and everyone else had already left. I had hunted my back stand the evening before and realized that I should have really trimmed some of the trees. IN one of my stands I could hear deer eating corn but could not even get a glimpse of them until it was too late to get a shot. Anyway I went out an hour or so early. I did not have a saw but figured that I could break enough limbs out of the way to improve my view. This is the hill country so the trees were live oaks. I climbed into the first tree aqnd managed to get the limbs pulled off the tree. At the next tree I had a problem. About 12 feet up was a limb I needed gone but it was way to large for me to break off the tree. I decided I could get on the limb and at least break the branches off of it. There was a small scrub oak type of a tree under it.that kind of grew horizontal before doubling back. I easily climbed into it and made the leap to the limb 12 foot off of the ground. Now at 52 years of age I don't jump quite like I use too but I made the leap without issues other than the limb I jumped too must have had a weak spot. It snapped off even with the trunk of the tree. I landed on the horizontal part of the scrub oak about a foot off the ground. Hit me right across the lower back. My first thought was to see if my legs worked...they did. Back is still a little on the sore side today. Good news is I can now see the feeder fine.....

-john
This is ironic considering the other thread
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #28
TexasAg2002
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt, Tx

Gas on a fire. Almost died.
TexasAg2002 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #29
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by boh347 View Post

I recently accidentally took a swig of my own pee. The other day I peed in a lemon lime Gatorade bottle and forgot that I did that. Well the next day I took a swig of it and immediately knew the horrific think Iíve done. Instant shame.

HOLY SMOKE!!
Old 12-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #30
sierracharlie338
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
Dam that statute of limitations!!! LOL I reckon I can't laugh too loud.
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #31
TXBowhunter11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Seymour, Wichita Falls, Megargel

Quote:
Hmm thereís been a few, I locked my keys in the car while me and my gf at the time weíre naked OUTSIDE of the car.

I recently accidentally took a swig of my own pee. The other day I peed in a lemon lime Gatorade bottle and forgot that I did that. Well the next day I took a swig of it and immediately knew the horrific think Iíve done. Instant shame.
I bet theres an interesting story to that first one.
TXBowhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #32
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I was up in the attic installing some can lighting in my first house. Had the passing thought that I really should take a few minutes to lay some plywood across the joists to stand on. I then decided that was a waste of time - I was young and nimble enough to make my way around tight-roping on the joists. My next mistake was not testing the circuit to make sure I had turned off the right breaker before wiring up the first light. Getting popped by 110 while balancing on a 2x6 equals falling through the ceiling and landing on the dining room table along with about 10 square ft of shattered sheet rock
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #33
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

I killed a big ol hog one evening. I had my wife with me and she didn't want to ride back to camp with the dead hog behind her so I let her drive the 4 wheeler.
I thought I would be cute and sit on the hog on the ride back.
Well them tics and fleas decided I was better company than the dead pig and I was covered in them when we got back to camp.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #34
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Llano, Gaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
I shot a rifle from a inside an insulated box blind without sticking the barrel out the window. It was mounted on a field pod. No hearing protection. After that I couldn't hear well for days and my tinnitus has been much worse ever since. Absolutely one of the dumbest things I've ever done.

I remember something to do with a extension ladder leaned against a tree limb, a chainsaw, and jumping for my life praying I didn't land on the chainsaw. That's all I'm gonna say

Last edited by Tx.Fisher; 12-07-2017 at 03:45 PM..
Tx.Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #35
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
This is ironic considering the other thread
Ain't it though.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #36
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

I got two---

First, one summer I was up in my tripod with a pole pruner trimming shooting lanes. Finished up, collapsed the pole, wrapped the rope around the pole and then proceeded to throw it like a spear to the ground--BUT---I forgot that curved saw blade. Yep---it was turned towards me and it got me on the side of my jaw below the ear--about 1.5" worth of ragged tear. Felt like someone hit me with a broomstick, and as I sat stunned, I said "Self, why is blood dripping on the stand?" Took my dirty sweaty shirt off and put it on the wound, then said "Self, how you gonna climb down one-handed?" Managed to get down and walk to the truck about 200 yds away and worked up the nerve to take the shirt down and take a look---put the shirt back and drove home. I had to call my advice nurse to get permission to go to the ER or I would have had to pay the bill myself (retired Army) and after the discussion I decided I wasn't driving 32 miles to the army hospital and wasn't gonna pay the bill to use the local ER. Had quit bleeding so wife and I cleaned it up and got the butterflies out and patched it. Healed just fine, no infection, and what's one more ragged scar for a 71 y.o. guy?

#2--my truck was in the body shop and I was hog hunting out of a rental--a Chevy Silverado. Sitting watching the feeder and I look off to the right and see a couple of hogs headed for the feeder, and they were only about 30-40 yds away. Pulled the M70 Featherweight back in from the driver's side window and slowly got on the nearest hog---BOOM! Sort of like Sika not putting the muzzle out the blind window, I didn't have the .22-250 muzzle clear, and a truck cab is small and not a suppressor. Hog dropped and the other one ran off towards the feeder so I quickly repositioned the rifle just in case. Looked back at the one I shot and there was #2 walking down the fence line. Wouldn't you know it, he stopped and offered me the perfect shot, and I am obviously a slow learner as I did a repeat of my previous shot.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #37
FF36
Eight Point

Hunt In: Laneville/Erath County

Quote:
Hmm thereís been a few, I locked my keys in the car while me and my gf at the time weíre naked OUTSIDE of the car.

thats funny right there.
FF36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #38
Jared.King
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eden, TX and Yoakum County

My oops.. Wasn't paying attention...I've shot several deer out of this stand before..I felt like such an idiot. Missed the cull buck I shot at and ruined a broadhead and an arrow. But a consolation axis doe stepped out, you can see her in the pic.
Attached Images

Jared.King is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #39
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Not enough room left on this page
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #40
LivinADream
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

i dont have time to write my shenanigans but the first thing that popped in my head when I read the title was the guy on here a few years ago that hit the spray paint can with the axe... I still laugh about that pretty often
LivinADream is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #41
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

If by "stupid", you mean "awesome"...yeah I got some scar.. er, trophies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #42
jshouse
Ten Point

too bad that @ thing don't work, i'd like for a few specific ones to weigh in...
Old 12-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #43
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Those who know how stupid I am, already know how Stupid I am. No need to expand on that number of people.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #44
mhunter6
Four Point

Hunt In: anywhere they let me

I am ashamed to say i shot myself in the foot with a bowfishing rig when i was about 15 or so. It was a low poundage rig but still went right through. I was shooting carp off some cliffy banks hanging over the water and had one foot halfway off the ledge. My line was tangled around the spool at the end of the bow and when i released the bow once the short amount of line that was free became taught the arrow swung down like a pendulum and went clean through my foot. I had to screw off the head and pull it back through.
mhunter6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #45
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Way too numerous to list.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #46
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
Did that a couple of years ago, though it wasnt insulated. I swear it knocked me silly. The concussion and flash was mind boggling. It was all a flash, then silence for a second. Then loud ringing in my ears.
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #47
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

My mom lives out in the country and the weekend closest to before July 4th we have a family get together celebrate the 4th and my brothers' wife Bday. We cook out, swim, ride 4 wheelers, and of course we shoot our toys. Well I picked up some tracer ammo for my AR-15. We all loaded up went down where have a target set up. It was pretty cool watching the tracer rounds fly. We getting ready to head up the the house when my nieces boy friend said "Does anyone smell smoke?" Looked at could see fire through the brush and could here it crackling. Three guys ran to the pond with buckets going to put out the fire. They ran into the brush in shorts and got all cut up by brambles. I called 911 and the volunteer came and put it out. Never asked what happen as they had gotten three calls to come to brush fires while putting ours out. Mom banned tracer rpounds lol
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #48
TWOHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scrappin' Valley

Left pretty much a brand new gas pole saw at the car wash.
TWOHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #49
Krivoman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas County

Check the oil level in a generator that is running while wearing crocks and shorts with no shirt.. that was fun..
Krivoman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #50
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krivoman View Post
Check the oil level in a generator that is running while wearing crocks and shorts with no shirt.. that was fun..
LOL! I have a perfect vision of how that went!
CabezaBlanca is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top