Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #51
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darton View Post
Bingo and it is only going to get worse since the oil field is picking back up! 18-25 year olds with a pocket full of cash and no sense
yes, that's literally the only people benefiting from the oil field
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #52
cuttingedge
Eight Point

Hunt In: hardly at all here

My old Z71 has 324k on it, and once in a while it kicks me in the nutz. I'll just keep patching it up as long as I can. No payments = ��
cuttingedge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #53
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Hurricane Harvey didn't help at all with used truck prices. There were a couple of hundred thousand trucks totaled and had to be replaced across south Texas.
It quickly became a seller's market with a premium on pickups.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #54
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

I love the explanation for high prices as being "people are just stupid ". I think there is something else going on. High prices for new ones and Harvey seem like the most logical explanations to me. Also, I would add that Texas is unique from other states in that you see way more trucks on the road.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #55
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

Are new trucks cheaper in Indiana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #56
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.str View Post
I looked at a Ford a while ago and wanted a fleet truck since I don't want all the bells. 4x4 power locks and windows and the nicer v8. I had to argue with them to test drive a fleet truck and the price was still not that much under a normal truck. What happened to the base model trucks without all the electronics that break?
Dealerships will make more money on replacing the cheap China made electronics than sales profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
Are new trucks cheaper in Indiana?

Yes, but don't over look TN, KY, GA, and MS.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:48 PM   #57
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCullouch County

I was just thinking the same thing today. We are looking for a used truck for our oldest kiddo...
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #58
Buck Shot
Six Point

Hunt In: Freestone County

I've been getting pre-recorded messages from the dealer where I bought my wife's truck in'15, saying "...you're truck model is in demand....we'd like to know if you're interested in trading it in...blah blah blah...". Yeah, trade it in so YOU can make a profit on it??lol
Buck Shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #59
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Itís ridiculous. Folks act like their truck is the only one in the world AND gold plated.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #60
Swooshski
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

It all started with John Travolta and that dang Urban Cowboy thing. Up til then trucks were equipped like trucks, used like trucks, looked like trucks and were priced like trucks. Ever since they've been adapted to soccer moms, rhinestone cowboys and urban dwellers who think they need a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 to haul a bag of mulch home from Wal-Mart. Ahhh, now I feel better.
Swooshski is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #61
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkbelly View Post
No disrespect and don't take it wrong, but this is the problem. People think they are getting good deals.

I am probably guilty too. I bought a 2015 chevy 2500HD 4x4 diesel 4dr with 30K miles on it in April 2016 for $39K.

None taken. What trim level truck did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #62
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.str View Post
I looked at a Ford a while ago and wanted a fleet truck since I don't want all the bells. 4x4 power locks and windows and the nicer v8. I had to argue with them to test drive a fleet truck and the price was still not that much under a normal truck. What happened to the base model trucks without all the electronics that break?

99% of the trucks with all the electronic crap donít break. You only hear people bitching about them when they do. Meanwhile the rest of the people that are perfectly happy with their reliable trucks are just driving them daily.

Every truck Iíve owned since 1996 has has some kind of electronics on them and not one of them has had a failure of any kind.

My son still drives a 2004 Chevy Z71 loaded with 240k miles on it and everything still works on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #63
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

I’m guilty of “sucker is DONE at 100K miles”......just seems like a lot even though I have a Nissan with 180K and it’s still going. This didn’t all start with Harvey, this has been the norm for the last 3-5 years. To me it makes more sense to buy new now. A vehicle has NEVER been an “investment” but it sure depreciates a lot slower than it used to. The only way to look at it is buy a new one now and when you sell it 6-7 years from now, you’ll probably still get $30K for it. So by the time you’re shopping for that new 1/2 ton in 2024, you’ll have a good 30K in equity to put down on a $44-$50K truck, only having to finance $16-20K.
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:29 PM   #64
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel75 View Post
Iím guilty of ďsucker is DONE at 100K milesĒ......just seems like a lot even though I have a Nissan with 180K and itís still going. This didnít all start with Harvey, this has been the norm for the last 3-5 years. To me it makes more sense to buy new now. A vehicle has NEVER been an ďinvestmentĒ but it sure depreciates a lot slower than it used to. The only way to look at it is buy a new one now and when you sell it 6-7 years from now, youíll probably still get $30K for it. So by the time youíre shopping for that new 1/2 ton in 2024, youíll have a good 30K in equity to put down on a $44-$50K truck, only having to finance $16-20K.
200k is the new 100K... Technology and lubricants have come a long way. I put 248k on my last one in about 7 years and the sheer amount of weight I moved with it would stagger a lot of folks (I scaled the truck/trailer several times around and exceeding 30,000lbs, ran it for a year and a half solid pulling 16,000 around town, and put 6000lbs in the bed on a lot of occaisions. It ran like a scalded cat the day I sold it. I felt like it had another 50,000 in it, but I didn't feel like paying the bill if I was wrong.

New one sure is nice...
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #65
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
200k is the new 100K... Technology and lubricants have come a long way. I put 248k on my last one in about 7 years and the sheer amount of weight I moved with it would stagger a lot of folks (I scaled the truck/trailer several times around and exceeding 30,000lbs, ran it for a year and a half solid pulling 16,000 around town, and put 6000lbs in the bed on a lot of occaisions. It ran like a scalded cat the day I sold it. I felt like it had another 50,000 in it, but I didn't feel like paying the bill if I was wrong.

New one sure is nice...
Oh I agree with the bolded, youíre my age, so you know that growing up when them 80ís and 90ís vehicles hit 100K all kinds of stuff started going out on them. Iím pretty sure this Nissan will go another 100K, Iím just tired of driving the SOB
Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 PM   #66
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel75 View Post
Oh I agree with the bolded, youíre my age, so you know that growing up when them 80ís and 90ís vehicles hit 100K all kinds of stuff started going out on them. Iím pretty sure this Nissan will go another 100K, Iím just tired of driving the SOB
I wouldn't know, all the 80s and 90s trucks I got to drive back then had 180,000 on them before I got to drive them. The week I got my license my uncle/boss put me in the '82 Chevy 1 ton flatbed with no one knew how many miles on it because NOTHING in the dash worked, and 7000lbs of mortar on the back, and I promptly blew it up when it fell out of 3rd gear. Uncle Bud said, "I forgot to tell you you have to hold it in 3rd..." That's how I learned how to work on stuff!
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:52 PM   #67
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I wouldn't know, all the 80s and 90s trucks I got to drive back then had 180,000 on them before I got to drive them. The week I got my license my uncle/boss put me in the '82 Chevy 1 ton flatbed with no one knew how many miles on it because NOTHING in the dash worked, and 7000lbs of mortar on the back, and I promptly blew it up when it fell out of 3rd gear. Uncle Bud said, "I forgot to tell you you have to hold it in 3rd..." That's how I learned how to work on stuff!

My 87 Subaru went teets up around 160K, my 95 cavalier went teets up around 140K and my POS 99 Ford Ranger at 77K!!!!!! I want a Tundra now but theyíre awfully proud of them

Old 12-08-2017, 12:58 AM   #68
sharpstick35
Four Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

the oilfield had a lot to do with it. ive got younger guys out here that have 80k trucks with another 20k in add ons that complain that they are broke because they arent getting enough overtime.
i try to school them on oilfield finances but most dont listen. one told me "i can sleep in my truck, but i cant drive a house"
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 01:35 AM   #69
Abctx
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick35 View Post
the oilfield had a lot to do with it. ive got younger guys out here that have 80k trucks with another 20k in add ons that complain that they are broke because they arent getting enough overtime.
i try to school them on oilfield finances but most dont listen. one told me "i can sleep in my truck, but i cant drive a house"
Yeah, but your house doesn't lose half its' value in 10 years....
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 03:56 AM   #70
Bumpy
Ten Point

Most trucks posted never sell. There is a Ram 2500 posted on here that’s been listed a long time. I looked up the blue book and I see why he can’t sell it. Folks think because it has a cummins in it folks will just pay whatver. If a truck isn’t listed to the price a credit union will finance for it won’t sell. Search on here and you’ll see most trucks just sit.
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top