Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #151
sierracharlie338
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Well this made for an interesting read for the past little while... I read slow .

I had a close call several years ago where I actually fell out of a ladder stand but was able to catch the platform and keep myself from hitting the ground.

I dont hunt much in ladderstands anymore but on the chance that I do, I will wear a harness. Mostly ground blinds and pop ups for me these days.

Sierracharlie out...
sierracharlie338 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #152
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Happened to the guy that owns Midway USA as well.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/midway...-breaking-leg/

Wow! You just never freaking know! Iím not sure how often this sort of thing happens and to what severity the injuries are, but Iíd be willing to bet it happens a lot and we just donít hear about it.

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #153
RangerRick2012
Ten Point

Hunt In: United States and its territories

Happened to me once. I was wearing a harness and very thankful for it. It still hurt like !*#!!. I'll never hunt in the tree without one. A real learning experience (don't tell the wife).
RangerRick2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #154
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
I tried to read further but couldn't get past this post without saying something...

Ask your family if they would want you to wear a harness.... Remember, you not are 100% in control of everything around you. How old is your ladder stand? Are the bolts holding it together rusted? Have the welds been certified? What about the chain/binder or ratchet strap? Ever seen a ratchet strap fail? I have, and it was brand new straight out of the package. And before you say something, yes I know how to use a ratchet strap AND inspect them.

So, let's say this "ladder stand" stays up year after year... The last time I checked, trees grow and when they grow things "attached" to them move... This is unless your ladder tree is attached to a dead tree which it may as well be if you don't wear a harness...

What happens when you climb that ladder stand and you have some gumbo mud stuck on the bottom of your boot that you don't realize is there... Make it 8' up and "oops".... Something above and beyond your control

Do yourself AND MOST IMPORTANTLY your family a favor and use a harness while climbing up, climbing down and while sitting on stand... You may not give two ****s about yourself but I'm sure there's someone somewhere out there that does...

I know what I just said will probably fall on deaf ears but I couldn't not say something....

Best wishes

**edited to add...

I don't hunt off the ground anymore... I'm just not that mad at them and I do 99% of my hunting in west Texas and I haven't seen a mesquite out there tall enough or big enough for me

With that being said, yes, I used to hunt out of climbers, lock ons and ladder stands. Yes, I've hunted without a harness. I told myself one year that I needed to get one. One cool afternoon, I was 10' up in a tree in a ladder stand harnessed in. The air was cool, the breeze was nice and the sun was shining. I felt like a cat in a windowsill... well, if you've ever seen a cat in a windowsill, you know that they like to sleep there. Yup, I dozed off... I woke up when my harness caught me leaning forward looking straight down the ladder. If I hadn't had my harness on, I would have fallen straight forward and my face would have hit every rung on that 10' ladder all the way to the ground. I'm sure I'll get the "well, that was your fault I'm a better and more alert person than you" (which is the way some of the posts appear to read)....

To each their own...
He dunnin been told, he aint listening, things like that don't happen to him.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #155
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

I teach Bow Ed and I'm also a Certified Treestand Safety Instructor. Guess that makes me an expert...

If you don't want to wear one, then don't. I do and stay attached from first step up till last step down. And I wear my seatbelt, smoke, drink, cuss and chase ugly married women!!

I will die but not from falling out of my treestand. I hope...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #156
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Ok so I always wear a harness. Attach it at the base of the tree as soon as I step on a climber. In a ladder stand I tie off when I climb up. Can somebody post a link or explain what y'all are talking about attaching to a lifeline at the bottom of a ladder or hang on?
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #157
Skinny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM_95 View Post
Ok so I always wear a harness. Attach it at the base of the tree as soon as I step on a climber. In a ladder stand I tie off when I climb up. Can somebody post a link or explain what y'all are talking about attaching to a lifeline at the bottom of a ladder or hang on?

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/hun...yAAEgJ2k_D_BwE

Skinny
Old 12-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #158
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
The lifeline ties off at base of tree, and ties off above your stand. There is a prussic knot on the line with a carabiner. As you climb, slide the prussic knot up the rope as you go. In the event of a fall, the knot cinches down stopping the fall. This keeps you tied off at all times from the ground and back
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 05:39 PM   #159
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
Thanks!! I'll pick one up. I don't care if anybody else would miss me or not. I love me.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:39 PM   #160
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
The lifeline ties off at base of tree, and ties off above your stand. There is a prussic knot on the line with a carabiner. As you climb, slide the prussic knot up the rope as you go. In the event of a fall, the knot cinches down stopping the fall. This keeps you tied off at all times from the ground and back
Gotcha. Watching a youtube video now.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #161
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Gotcha. Watching a youtube video now.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #162
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I have several tripods that aren't close enough to a tree to tie off so I added a seat belt. It doesn't help while getting in or out but it will keep you from taking a header if you fall asleep or otherwise lose your balance. I just feel more confident and relaxed when buckled in. Here's a pic - it's just a webbed tool belt from Home Depot - I attached it at the back with pop rivets

Attachment 886850

Thatís a great idea! Thank ya sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #163
Bloodrunner
Four Point

Hunt In: where everyone else does apparently

its not difficult fellas. Get a harness (usually will come with the stand in the **** box bro), get a frikkin rope, tie a frikken PRUSIK knot on it using a separate rope, attach rope at stand height and bottom of tree, attach caribeaner to harness, attach caribeaner to prusik, climb tree. Some of you are making it way too difficult. People have been climbing rock faces for years, figure out how they do it safely and you should be able to climb a tree safely. Gosh **** boi.
Bloodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #164
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I've been following along on this thread and I must say that it seems just about any thread these days can become controversial... guess when there are so many members, that's sort of to be expected. I must say though, I'm pretty surprised by some of the prime Darwin candidates participation in this thread...

It does hit close to home for me though... CastAndBlast's grandfather was a dear close personal friend of mine whom I had hunted with for over 30 years... He was a very active, vibrant and energetic man full of life unitl... that fateful day he dozed off, and tumbled to his death... That was a bad deal and even more horrific was his oldest son went looking for him because he didn't check in at the end of the day and he was the one to find his dad... My dear friend and TBH hero Chew was there too and tried to help, but it was too late... Like Andy posted his wife, a sweet, sweet lady is struggling mightily with her loss... He did everything for her... she was so, so dependent on him... though physically healthy, she's not really been able to function since that fateful day... This man has left behind a large loving, but grieving family... He did it without knowing what he did... How anyone could post to a thread like that that they aren't worried about doing this to their family is beyond my comprehension. I pray for the sake of their families that indeed they never have to experience this senseless and preventable tragedy.

2 years ago, I had a tripod leg snap on me suddenly and I found myself on my back looking up at the clouds when I regained my senses... I had blood all over me and didn't have a clue where it was coming from except I was the only one there so it must be my blood... As it turned out, it was a finger that had been crushed between the pieces of the broken leg of the tripod... surgery and stitches and other than numbness now 2 years later, I'm none the worse for the wear... It could have been soooo much worse... When I hit the ground, I had my bow on my back with a quiver with 7 razor sharp broadheads in it. 6 of the seven arrows were snapped in two, but none of the heads stuck in me... The Tripod frame hit the ground right beside my head and never touched me...

These two experiences have pretty much made me a ground-dweller when I hunt...

You guys who don't see the need for anti-fall protection, I pray you will re-think your position.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #165
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas
Default Treestand Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I've been following along on this thread and I must say that it seems just about any thread these days can become controversial... guess when there are so many members, that's sort of to be expected. I must say though, I'm pretty surprised by some of the prime Darwin candidates participation in this thread...

It does hit close to home for me though... CastAndBlast's grandfather was a dear close personal friend of mine whom I had hunted with for over 30 years... He was a very active, vibrant and energetic man full of life unitl... that fateful day he dozed off, and tumbled to his death... That was a bad deal and even more horrific was his oldest son went looking for him because he didn't check in at the end of the day and he was the one to find his dad... My dear friend and TBH hero Chew was there too and tried to help, but it was too late... Like Andy posted his wife, a sweet, sweet lady is struggling mightily with her loss... He did everything for her... she was so, so dependent on him... though physically healthy, she's not really been able to function since that fateful day... This man has left behind a large loving, but grieving family... He did it without knowing what he did... How anyone could post to a thread like that that they aren't worried about doing this to their family is beyond my comprehension. I pray for the sake of their families that indeed they never have to experience this senseless and preventable tragedy.

2 years ago, I had a tripod leg snap on me suddenly and I found myself on my back looking up at the clouds when I regained my senses... I had blood all over me and didn't have a clue where it was coming from except I was the only one there so it must be my blood... As it turned out, it was a finger that had been crushed between the pieces of the broken leg of the tripod... surgery and stitches and other than numbness now 2 years later, I'm none the worse for the wear... It could have been soooo much worse... When I hit the ground, I had my bow on my back with a quiver with 7 razor sharp broadheads in it. 6 of the seven arrows were snapped in two, but none of the heads stuck in me... The Tripod frame hit the ground right beside my head and never touched me...

These two experiences have pretty much made me a ground-dweller when I hunt...

You guys who don't see the need for anti-fall protection, I pray you will re-think your position.

Very well thought out post Slick.
It was my little boy that made me decide to get one. My very first time using it very likely saved my life. 20 foot is a long way to tumble unconscious or otherwise

bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 06:36 AM   #166
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodrunner View Post
its not difficult fellas. Get a harness (usually will come with the stand in the **** box bro), get a frikkin rope, tie a frikken PRUSIK knot on it using a separate rope, attach rope at stand height and bottom of tree, attach caribeaner to harness, attach caribeaner to prusik, climb tree. Some of you are making it way too difficult. People have been climbing rock faces for years, figure out how they do it safely and you should be able to climb a tree safely. Gosh **** boi.
It doesn't look hard. But I've hunted my entire life, and growing up nobody I knew wore a harness. I started wearing one several years ago and I won't hunt without it. But everybody on my lease hunts out of box stands with rifles, or out of pop ups in bow season. So believe it or not at 39 years old I just learned about prusik knots and lifelines from this thread. I'm not a rock climber lol. I'll rig my ladders up though after reading through all this though.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #167
chris1911
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brownwood,Marion

Ordered a HSS vest, lifeline, and climbing strap on amazon all for 100$....

chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #168
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

As sad as it is a mentor and close of mine fell out of his tripod this weekend. Fractured his pelvis and two vertebrae. He will have a long recovery but he just doesn't realize he's 71 years old and doesn't need to hunt out of a rickety old tripod he built in the 70s. He has a ladder leaned against a tree beside it to climb into it.

The landowner doesn't allow blinds. Until now. I'll have him in a good one next season.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM   #169
Gil67
Four Point

Up until a couple of weeks ago I'd never worn a safety harness I only hunt out of ladder stands and thought I was ok, I fell asleep one morning and woke up as I tipped out the seat . I managed to grab the rail as I fell ,apart from scrapes and bruises and scaring myself I'm ok . I wear a safety harness now , there's no down side to wearing one
Gil67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM   #170
Kodiakk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine and where ever else I can.

This thread shows the nanny state at it's finest. Ridicule and slander anyone that doesn't do exactly as the group thinks. Sickening to me in my opinion and a major problem in this country dragging it down. Same logic trying to take away the second amendment. Guns kill more the tree stand accidents after all.

On the harness issue, anyone care to guess if I use one or not? The answer might surprise you.
Kodiakk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #171
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiakk View Post
This thread shows the nanny state at it's finest. Ridicule and slander anyone that doesn't do exactly as the group thinks. Sickening to me in my opinion and a major problem in this country dragging it down. Same logic trying to take away the second amendment. Guns kill more the tree stand accidents after all.

On the harness issue, anyone care to guess if I use one or not? The answer might surprise you.
Ridicule and slander? Not hardly. I see it as members giving a **** about other peoples safety. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM   #172
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:

I think you got that a little backwards. A nanny state would be where we wouldn't want to stomp on somebody's sensitive feelings and instead of calling somebody out... we pass laws so that somebody else does that for us.

In a non-nanny state, I get to call a dumb*** a dumb*** and let him know directly how misinformed or ignorant they are. No need to defer to regulation, I can rationalize it real quick for them.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 06:58 AM   #173
Kodiakk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Ridicule and slander? Not hardly. I see it as members giving a **** about other peoples safety. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.
Look through the thread it's plain to see.
Old Today, 06:59 AM   #174
Kodiakk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
I think you got that a little backwards. A nanny state would be where we wouldn't want to stomp on somebody's sensitive feelings and instead of calling somebody out... we pass laws so that somebody else does that for us.

In a non-nanny state, I get to call a dumb*** a dumb*** and let him know directly how misinformed or ignorant they are. No need to defer to regulation, I can rationalize it real quick for them.
The very definition of a nanny state is if attempting to force people do things against their will "for their own good."
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #175
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Green Screen

Quote:

I agree, I love seeing stupid people going against the grain. Darwinism rules!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 07:07 AM   #176
Kodiakk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
I agree, I love seeing stupid people going against the grain. Darwinism rules!
Thanks for the example. Ironman see here.
Old Today, 07:18 AM   #177
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well, if you don't wear a harness, he's actually making fun of you.
Old Today, 07:22 AM   #178
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Quote:
The very definition of a nanny state is if attempting to force people do things against their will "for their own good."

Not quite but kind of close

Sparkles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 07:24 AM   #179
DRT
Pope & Young

That's because many people never learned to debate intelligently and they have to refer to name calling and ridicule. They haven't learned to disagree respectfully and discuss things like adults. It's okay though. There are enough others on here that can discuss things well and give enough good information that at times I can learn a lot and even be dissuaded to change my point of view so it's worth wading through the other sometimes.
Old Today, 07:24 AM   #180
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Wasn't attacking anyone. Stupid people don't know their stupid. Men in particular are hard headed. We only learn from pain or a hit in the pocketbook. ......or both. Some never learn, regardless of how many times they are given examples.

You know, like diving after drinking or not wearing a seat belt, using a dull knife.
Old Today, 07:32 AM   #181
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

wait.

we're not supposed to dive after drinking?

****!
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 07:34 AM   #182
Stykbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Newton, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
Yes I am afraid of falling! If I was to fall out of a tree stand without a harness, get in a car wreck without a seatbelt, die from H2S poisoning for not following safety measures at work, etc, etc, etc...there would be a lot of people suffering from my negligence...not just me.

Itís simple really. Protect yourself at all times.

I bet you are one of those guys that has an LTC and leaves your weapon in the console of your truck 24/7. Smh

Skinny
I agree with you 100%, Skinny !!! I love my family to much to put them through such a tragedy just because of my stupidity or stubborness !!!
Stykbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 07:36 AM   #183
jdunn6092
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas

Wow

jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 08:44 AM   #184
Kodiakk
Ten Point

Quote:
Wasn't attacking anyone. Stupid people don't know their stupid. Men in particular are hard headed. We only learn from pain or a hit in the pocketbook. ......or both. Some never learn, regardless of how many times they are given examples.

You know, like diving after drinking or not wearing a seat belt, using a dull knife.
Calling someone stupid is insulting. It's called a verbal attack. To say it's not is being disingenuous.

I've also not heard any of the guys that choose not to wear a safety harness tell others not to either. It's their personal choice. I notice nobody has asked me since I brought it up, the answer is obvious whether I do or not. I believe they should have the right to choose. They're grown men and know the risks and will pay the consequences God forbid if they ever did fall. Just because I don't agree doesn't make them stupid either. We all take risks in different ways. Freedom is a ***** for many here it seems.
Old Today, 08:54 AM   #185
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Calling someone stupid is insulting. It's called a verbal attack. To say it's not is being disingenuous.

I've also not heard any of the guys that choose not to wear a safety harness tell others not to either. It's their personal choice. I notice nobody has asked me since I brought it up, the answer is obvious whether I do or not. I believe they should have the right to choose. They're grown men and know the risks and will pay the consequences God forbid if they ever did fall. Just because I don't agree doesn't make them stupid either. We all take risks in different ways. Freedom is a ***** for many here it seems.
I didn't read the whole thread, but you seem to be taking this personally. Not my intention and not directed at any member on this site. With the exception of 1 or two folks on here.....I'd share a campfire with just about everyone. I hate seeing senseless tragedies and hope my fellow hunters feel the same. We have a pretty good prayer request on this site too.

Stay safe.
Old Today, 09:04 AM   #186
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Except we have no ability to force anyone to do anything. So your analogy doesn't really fit here. Are we ridiculing, probably. It's no fun to read threads on here about members, their friends and loved ones falling out of a treestand and being seriously injured or killed. It happens annually. It isn't one of those freak accidents that probably will never happen to you, it's a common occurrence.

If someone doesn't want to wear one that's fine, their choice. Are they a very wise person? Nope.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 09:30 AM   #187
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:
I did not advocate forcing anybody to do anything. Read my previous posts if you doubt my stance on that.

I do however have the right to argue and reason with people willing to read/listen. And if I ascertain that the willful negligence is born out of misplaced arrogance... well I reserve the right to call em out. I don't always do so... but often will if the debate is in a public forum... why? Because when the invisible/silent lurkers follow along as nobody refutes it... it easily becomes acceptable in thier eyes.

No... they didn't directly tell others not to wear harnesses, but by arguing the point... they are advocating that it is not negligent behaviour.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #188
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

guy slipped climbing into the treestand and fell on a tpost
Attached Images

OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 11:25 AM   #189
DRT
Pope & Young

Man that is why I no longer use feeder barrels on legs. Those T posts will get you. One tipped ladder and I sold them all and have stand and fill units now.
Old Today, 11:25 AM   #190
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Wasn't attacking anyone. Stupid people don't know they're stupid. Men in particular are hard headed. We only learn from pain or a hit in the pocketbook. ......or both. Some never learn, regardless of how many times they are given examples.

sorry, couldn't resist.
Grayson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #191
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stykbow View Post
I agree with you 100%, Skinny !!! I love my family to much to put them through such a tragedy just because of my stupidity or stubborness !!!
That post by Skinny was fine right up to the last sentence. That's where it became an attempt to belittle and demean someone vs. just putting sound logic and information out there.
Old Today, 11:41 AM   #192
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
That post by Skinny was fine right up to the last sentence. That's where it became an attempt to belittle and demean someone vs. just putting sound logic and information out there.

Dang it @skinny. See what youíve done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 11:42 AM   #193
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
If it's sound logic, why do you not listen?
Old Today, 11:45 AM   #194
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

"Nanny State" would imply government coercion of some sort - like a law requiring you to wear a harness. What we have in this thread is some people trying to persuade others that they should wear a harness. That being said, you can't change everyone's mind on the topic and name-calling is rarely an effective persuasion technique.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 11:46 AM   #195
Skinny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
Dang it @skinny. See what youíve done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I canít help it Iím so awesome.

Skinny
Old Today, 11:51 AM   #196
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
sorry, couldn't resist.

Uato-correct is allsome
Old Today, 11:56 AM   #197
DRT
Pope & Young

Because I'm too old and stubborn. Unlike some here I don't think I am unsafe. But I believe an individual has to make the choice for themselves. That said . . .

Many years ago I set some bad examples at work. For some they felt unsafe going into a chlorine emergency even with the correct PPE like an SCBA. I wouldn't hesitate. On a few occasions I even held my breath, walked in, closed the valve to stop the leak and walked out. With a level head and the correct understanding of the job I was able to stop a bad situation from turning into a full blown emergency by responding immediately. Was it unsafe? Well the bean counters would say yes and so would some of the more timid employees. But not having to evacuate a plant and shut down operations by my ability to do that without injury or harm to me sure saved that from happening.

That said I have to agree that to some it gives them a bad impression it's okay. I learned later in my career that some would try similar things and get in a bind because they didn't have my abilities and then cite my bad example as the reason they tried it so I had to adjust my way of doing things to set a better example.

I guess statements here could be viewed in that same manner and this discussion has definitely reminded me of that and I have changed my point of view accordingly.
Old Today, 11:59 AM   #198
Ironman
Pope & Young

You sure do think highly of yourself, don't you?
Old Today, 12:02 PM   #199
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
You sure do think highly of yourself, don't you?
Well someone has to and I'm not sure anyone one else will so, yeah.
Old Today, 03:30 PM   #200
HNT ETX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX
Default Harness

I don't post much, but a no brainer to chime in here.....

I hunted out of wooden ladders, homemade birdnests in a tree, off tree limbs, homemade lockons, homemade climbers, store bought climbers and on and on for 20+ yrs., even after my first daughter was born. It drove one of my hunting buddies and my wife crazy. But, much like a couple on here, I did not see where it was any of their business, and I was uber careful and thought "I" controlled the situation, and as long as "I" did not get myself in a bind (which I would not because I was overly careful), I was willing to take the risk not to have to add that extra step to my already painstaking process that was involved in my way of hunting. I was as comfortable 25' up a tree as I was on the ground.

Six or seven years ago that buddy of mine got with my wife and asked her to buy me a safety harness for Christmas. I got it and it did not come out of the box the rest of that season, even though I hunted ALOT!

Fast forward to the next spring and I was hanging a ladder stand. I was pretty much done and was going to climb back up and hang my bow hanger, so thankfully, that was the only thing I had in my hand. I had made it to the top of a short ladder section, my feet could not have been more than 5 ft. off the ground and as careful as I THOUGHT I was, I had not secured the top of a short four to five rung ladder I used at the base of the tree. Like I said, I was super careful, and that was a safe way to reach the first set of rapid rails I was using because of the fat base on the tree. When I stepped on that last rung the ladder gave to one side. I fell all of 5 ft. and landed on a yaupon that was growing sideways and so it hit me flush across the ribs. It knocked my breath out and my head slammed on the ground pretty good, I think it knocked me unconscious briefly and I might have stayed unconscious except I could not breath. I got to my all fours and was gasping for air, it hurt bad and I did not know what had happened at that point, I could not breath for what seemed like an eternity but eventually got my breath back. I was sure I had broken my ribs. But a visual inspection showed some major bruising/"road rash" about the size of a basketball on my ribs and a bruised head. I was extremely sore, but time proved I had no major damage...at least not to my ribs.

I don't know that I would have had that safety harness on even if I was using it religiously at the time, but what that showed me was what a fall from 5' will do. After I finally got my breath, I was lying on my back trying to get my wits and I remember looking at the locon and thinking that if i would have fallen from that height, I would have been severely injured if not dead.

No matter how safe you think you are, one second you are upright and the very next you are flat of your back, it happens SO SO SO fast!

If I did not have that harness in a box at home, I don't know that that fall would have prompted me to go buy one, but I know that since it was there I used it on the very first hunt that year and I will tell you this, it may not save my life, but the piece of mind to know I am at least doing everything I can to be as safe as I can is priceless. I know that still does not guarantee my safety and I still have the same healthy respect I always did for hunting from a tree stand, but have added one extra step to my process, not much to it.

I was all of you naysayers....used the very same argument with my wife and hunting buddies and felt as safe 25' up a tree as I did standing on the ground, but as safe as I was, I made one mistake and that was enough to show me that it CAN happen.

My wife still does not know why I started wearing that harness, but I know it makes her feel better when I do. You would be hard pressed to catch me in a tree without one now.
HNT ETX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top