Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #101
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
This is one where we will just have to agree to disagree. I feel that if my post causing any young person to think for themselves, to make their own decisions, to not just follow the crowd then I have done much more good than harm. You are looking at this strictly as a harness = safety deal. I am looking at it more of a larger deal of people are free to do what they want to kind of a deal. As far as I am concerned no harm, no foul.

-john
Then you should reread the title of this thread, and start a thread of your own about independent thinking. This thread is about treestand safety, SPECIFICALLY!
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #102
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

I'm not going to force anyone to wear a harness, but if you hunt on our property you do not leave the ground unless you have a harness on.
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #103
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
This is one where we will just have to agree to disagree. I feel that if my post causing any young person to think for themselves, to make their own decisions, to not just follow the crowd then I have done much more good than harm. You are looking at this strictly as a harness = safety deal. I am looking at it more of a larger deal of people are free to do what they want to kind of a deal. As far as I am concerned no harm, no foul.

-john
If you convince some young person to waver from safety and into harms way, you have done harm.

You talk like following the crowd in doing something right is actually wrong. Usually following the crowd is wrong, but not this time.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #104
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

I am sure the vast majority here would agree life is full of risks. Best to eliminate or lower the ones you can. Also if you look at the risk vs. reward of not using safety harnesses and lifelines what is the payoff for not using them? Save a few bucks on rope/equipment cost? Just my opinion, but that is foolish. Plan ahead and get the things you need to keep you safe. Nobody is going to make you, but I promise if you are not taking the proper precautions you will not be allowed to hunt on my property.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #105
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Oh, one other situation I wear one is where required by the outfitter.
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #106
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
I wonder why he requires it?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #107
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well, they do that for a reason.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #108
DRT
Pope & Young

Y'all are right. Never get in a stand without one. Have a good day folks. I'm going to go sit in a ground blind.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #109
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:
I understand your point but I am not telling anyone else what to do. I am simply saying that people are free to make their own decisions. The fact that not everyone agrees is not a bad thing. It is what make this the greatest place in the world to live. If you are right and I fall from a tree and die then that should be far more useful in your efforts to get other people to share your opinion.....I could become the poster child for your movement. You should be thanking me...LOL. Like I said before I am not mad at anyone. As far as I am concerned we can all be friends. I just hate it when people push their opinions on others. It has always been a sore spot for me. You wear a harness and I do not. I support both of our decisions.

-john

There is no need for you to be the poster child. Many of us already have had experiences where friends or family have had close calls, injured, or killed by falling out of a tree stand. And some of us are affected by those experiences daily, which makes us solid proponents of tree stand safety.

Guys that wear harnesses and do things in a safe manner on a daily basis get more respect from me than guys that are careless, selfish, and wreck-less.

In my opinion, a harness is a great tool to use in a tree stand...if worn and attached correctly...not to mention the piece of mind it gives me and my family when Iím out hunting. The latter is very important to me.

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #110
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I wonder why he requires it?
Lawyers and liberal courts.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #111
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Y'all are right. Never get in a stand without one. Have a good day folks. I'm going to go sit in a ground blind.
Excellent!!! I feel I've done my good deed for the day.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #112
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Lawyers and liberal courts.
Yep! They make a living off of others stupidity. And I ain't talking about the outfitter.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #113
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
I am sure the vast majority here would agree life is full of risks. Best to eliminate or lower the ones you can. Also if you look at the risk vs. reward of not using safety harnesses and lifelines what is the payoff for not using them? Save a few bucks on rope/equipment cost? Just my opinion, but that is foolish. Plan ahead and get the things you need to keep you safe. Nobody is going to make you, but I promise if you are not taking the proper precautions you will not be allowed to hunt on my property.
Lot of wisdom here for someone to follow. Very well put, thank you
Old 12-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #114
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

Quote:
Much rather die that way and there than in hospice with some disease or dimensia. The things I wouldn't want to die of are the real things that get too many folk. Wearing a harness is good insurance. I'm just not there. And for the record I have provided for my family financially. My kids are grown. I'm a big guy now.
I'm not sure how big your bank account is but break yourself in half from a fall and end up in a wheelchair and I bet your family's bank account will look a lot different than it does now.
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #115
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria/Fort Bend county, Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
Unexpectedly lost my grandfather 5 years ago at a very healthy 71 years of age by him falling out of a 12í ladder stand. Basically lost a grandmother too since she can not recover from his death.

We all rely on harnesses now when getting elevated in a tree. Unfortunately, we all learned our lesson the hard way.
Dam, sorry for your loss brother, that's a tough one
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #116
ROBINHOOD11
Eight Point

Hunt In: Collin Co, Denton Co, Grayson Co

I never used one until this year. Climbed into one of my old stands and one of the cables broke as soon as I stepped on, luckily I was able to bear hug the tree before the trap door went on the other side. Went straight to the store and bought one, scared the crap out of me!
ROBINHOOD11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #117
Clay C
Ten Point

There is no excuse to not wear a harness. It's insanely stupid not to. There are a lot of guys on here who thought "i'm careful and experienced it will not happen to me" until they met the ground at high speed. There are stories every year of families having to move on without a father/son/brother/husband/wife/daughter/mother that were seasoned hunters and thought it wouldn't happen to them.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #118
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
If you convince some young person to waver from safety and into harms way, you have done harm.

You talk like following the crowd in doing something right is actually wrong. Usually following the crowd is wrong, but not this time.
I never once said it was wrong to wear a harness. I said I don't wear one myself and I pointed out a host of behaviors that people do every single day that are far more dangerous from a statistical point of view. I am not against anyone wearing one if that is what they chose to do.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #119
Grumpy1911
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana/South Texas

OSHA says you have to tie off above 6'.

some of yall gonna get wrote up.
Grumpy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #120
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Then you should reread the title of this thread, and start a thread of your own about independent thinking. This thread is about treestand safety, SPECIFICALLY!
Once again I can see your point but simply chose to take a wider view of the subject at hand.

-john
Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #121
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
OSHA says you have to tie off above 6'.

some of yall gonna get wrote up.
Not for us ironworkers.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #122
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
I never once said it was wrong to wear a harness. I said I don't wear one myself and I pointed out a host of behaviors that people do every single day that are far more dangerous from a statistical point of view. I am not against anyone wearing one if that is what they chose to do.

-john
You imply that your decision making is superior to those that have actually been there.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #123
Still Hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

WOW!! this definitely blew up unexpectedly!

I am about to be 58. Killed my first deer with a bow at 13. Been climbing trees forever. I hunt trees, tripods, pop ups, ground blinds whatever the situation demands. I started wearing a harness 4 years ago due to a torn rotator cup and a fractured elbow. I will not climb now without one. I am overly cautious. I was putting up a new 17 ft ladder two weeks ago, working nice and slow and I tied off to a upper limb as soon as I got up without really thinking about it. During the set up process the stand shifted and I lost my footing as I was reaching around the back of the tree to catch the tie down strap. I was in a awkward position. Luckily I slipped down only about 2 feet and by right leg caught the fork of the tree limbs right below me. At the same time, the tie off on my harness also caught me. I was probably up around 18-20 feet. Not sure if I would have stopped my fall if not for the harness.

Your choice is your own. I highly recommend anyone hunting elevated to use one. Use the lifeline when climbing also.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #124
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
Maybe I interject and ask a question???

How do y’all use a harness with a tripod? I’m not able to tie my harness in the tree closest to my tripod, a lifeline maybe? Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have several tripods that aren't close enough to a tree to tie off so I added a seat belt. It doesn't help while getting in or out but it will keep you from taking a header if you fall asleep or otherwise lose your balance. I just feel more confident and relaxed when buckled in. Here's a pic - it's just a webbed tool belt from Home Depot - I attached it at the back with pop rivets

Name:  seat.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  370.6 KB
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #125
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Green Screen

Name:  3751.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  41.0 KB

Not directed at any member here.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #126
LWC
Ten Point

I think wearing a harness is a good thing that everyone should do. Wearing a seat belt is also a good thing that everyone should do.
But some of you are a little over the top with your criticism of those that choose not to wear one.
I hope you have the same conviction espousing the dangers of beer, whiskey, tobacco, etc...every time someone starts a thread either asking or promoting which brand is best.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #127
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
I think wearing a harness is a good thing that everyone should do. Wearing a seat belt is also a good thing that everyone should do.
But some of you are a little over the top with your criticism of those that choose not to wear one.
I hope you have the same conviction espousing the dangers of beer, whiskey, tobacco, etc...every time someone starts a thread either asking or promoting which brand is best.
Again, apples and oranges. It's not about people's choices, it's about the perception of tree stand safety, which is what this thread is about.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #128
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Quote:
You imply that your decision making is superior to those that have actually been there.
How? Please explain.

-john
Old 12-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #129
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Once again I can see your point but simply chose to take a wider view of the subject at hand.

-john
Old 12-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #130
Bama
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stovallcustomknives.com

I hunted for probably 10 years I the 90's with a Summit climber they didn't even have harness's then I was so lucky. now I'm attached to the tree before I step off the ground .
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #131
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

I've know 3 people who have fallen out of a treestand. Best case, screw in step tore his leg and nutsack, second best case, broken ribs and back, worst case, torn aorta, found dead at the base of the tree.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #132
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Does not imply that my logic is better. I simply was saying that I was looking at it differently.

-john
Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #133
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

Good reminder and rule.

My uncle ended up losing his lower leg after falling from a tree at about 14'. The break in his ankle became infected and he went through 3 surgeries over several years before he told them to just take it off. The sad irony is that he is a Green Beret that served 27 yrs; was shot, was MIA ,and went on several POW rescues during and related to the Vietnam War.

Life is strange. I recall walking the top plates, above the 2nd story on ridges and hips of frames covered with frost during the winters. I was in my early and mid 20's and never blinked or shook. Boss said, "If you shake, you will fall". No tie offs ever. Never even saw one. Job had to be done and none of us were going to be warm and dry until completed.

25 yrs later, I take a few seconds to secure and consider everything around me before I climb a simple ladder.

Good Luck all.

Last edited by tigerscowboy; 12-07-2017 at 11:48 AM..
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #134
Farmdog
Ten Point

I get scared in small tripods nowadays. Had a rotted owl poop floor give out in a deer blind suddenly when i was a teenager. I was lucky and grabbed a window with one hand and my rifle with the other. At 55 I would be hitting the ground with my rifle bouncing all around. Legdog has always been the climber of the family. I am suspicious over every step and every weld Ive ever made. I dont know anything about wearing a harness but should learn. I dont know how many times Ive heard of old men falling off roofs or ladders or whatever
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #135
Big six
Spike

Hunt In: Polk Co

Always use a harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big six is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #136
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Anyone that hunts from a climber or lock on
on a regular basis should realize one thing....
It is not a matter of if. It is a matter of when.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #137
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
I've know 3 people who have fallen out of a treestand. Best case, screw in step tore his leg and nutsack, second best case, broken ribs and back, worst case, torn aorta, found dead at the base of the tree.
All 3 are tragic
Old 12-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #138
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

I had got out of my stand and walked back to my son's stand just as I got there, I watched my son fall from 12-13 feet up. Luckily he had harness and life line on and was not hurt. It could have been bad.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #139
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
I had got out of my stand and walked back to my son's stand just as I got there, I watched my son fall from 12-13 feet up. Luckily he had harness and life line on and was not hurt. It could have been bad.
Saved his life
Old 12-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #140
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Never wear one but willing to accept the consequences for not. However I never hunt from lock on stands anymore and I'm pretty careful about securing my ladder stands.
"pretty" careful. lol. I'm not willing to leave my family behind because I wouldn't do something as simple as tying off and using a harness. Fact: 100% of people don't think they will fall....until they fall
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #141
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
Pretty hard to fall outa climber.
J

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
No it's not. Ask me how I know
Old 12-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #142
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
Second dumbest thing youíve posted. If you think for one second that falls are intentional or planned, you are crazy. Just like car accidents...they happen when you least expect it. Iím betting you wear your seatbelt while driving? Same thing here. If youíd like to stop acting like youíre invincible, that would be best for the rest of the folks considering wearing a harness. Not sure if you have kids or not, but I hope you donít.

Skinny
No, I think they are equally dumb.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #143
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Excellent!!! I feel I've done my good deed for the day.
Glad you feel better.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #144
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Glad you feel better.

Thanks! I'm sure your loved ones feel better as well.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #145
Casey
Administrator

Happened to the guy that owns Midway USA as well.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/midway...-breaking-leg/
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #146
JBT
Six Point

Hunt In: Montague, Grayson

hunter safety systems runs sales, I snagged some of the life lines 40% off for cyber monday avg cost around 22 bucks per setup - no excuse not to hang one in every elevated spot you hunt
JBT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #147
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

How many of you flirt with death every day and don't wear your seatbelts!! lol
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #148
fox1
Ten Point

Location: East Texan by birth but spending all my time in Okl.
Hunt In: now accepting invitations

The number one reason i strap in to a harness is to prevent my wife or kids from having to wipe my arse because I paralyzed myself.
I am the man of the house and i prefer to be the one solving problems , not becoming one.
fox1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #149
Ishi&Elvis
Six Point

I remembered this story, thought it was appropriate. I understand if you don't want to wear a safety belt. I will respect your opinion and decision. Accidents do happen. I hope all of you that don't have life insurance to take care of your family will take care of that now, just like you purchased a belt to protect you in case of a fall.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/06...es-to-end.html
Ishi&Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #150
Tubby
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County & The Diamond C!

Quote:
Just don't fall. Replace your straps regular and pay attention to what you're doing. I stand a better chance of falling of the ladder cleaning gutters than out of my ladder stand.

I tried to read further but couldn't get past this post without saying something...

Ask your family if they would want you to wear a harness.... Remember, you not are 100% in control of everything around you. How old is your ladder stand? Are the bolts holding it together rusted? Have the welds been certified? What about the chain/binder or ratchet strap? Ever seen a ratchet strap fail? I have, and it was brand new straight out of the package. And before you say something, yes I know how to use a ratchet strap AND inspect them.

So, let's say this "ladder stand" stays up year after year... The last time I checked, trees grow and when they grow things "attached" to them move... This is unless your ladder tree is attached to a dead tree which it may as well be if you don't wear a harness...

What happens when you climb that ladder stand and you have some gumbo mud stuck on the bottom of your boot that you don't realize is there... Make it 8' up and "oops".... Something above and beyond your control

Do yourself AND MOST IMPORTANTLY your family a favor and use a harness while climbing up, climbing down and while sitting on stand... You may not give two ****s about yourself but I'm sure there's someone somewhere out there that does...

I know what I just said will probably fall on deaf ears but I couldn't not say something....

Best wishes

**edited to add...

I don't hunt off the ground anymore... I'm just not that mad at them and I do 99% of my hunting in west Texas and I haven't seen a mesquite out there tall enough or big enough for me

With that being said, yes, I used to hunt out of climbers, lock ons and ladder stands. Yes, I've hunted without a harness. I told myself one year that I needed to get one. One cool afternoon, I was 10' up in a tree in a ladder stand harnessed in. The air was cool, the breeze was nice and the sun was shining. I felt like a cat in a windowsill... well, if you've ever seen a cat in a windowsill, you know that they like to sleep there. Yup, I dozed off... I woke up when my harness caught me leaning forward looking straight down the ladder. If I hadn't had my harness on, I would have fallen straight forward and my face would have hit every rung on that 10' ladder all the way to the ground. I'm sure I'll get the "well, that was your fault I'm a better and more alert person than you" (which is the way some of the posts appear to read)....

To each their own...

Last edited by Tubby; 12-07-2017 at 02:47 PM..
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top