Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 12-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #1
Ruggedhunts45
Nubbin' Buck

Default Deer Management question

Is it possible to grow Big racks on 200 acre ranch, with neighbors who hunt as well? Anyone with experience Iíd appreciate there advice on doís and dontís/what has worked for you. Any secrets to keep them from jumping the fence is that even a possible goal? Thanks for any advice.
Ruggedhunts45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggedhunts45 View Post
Is it possible to grow Big racks on 200 acre ranch, with neighbors who hunt as well? Anyone with experience Iíd appreciate there advice on doís and dontís/what has worked for you. Any secrets to keep them from jumping the fence is that even a possible goal? Thanks for any advice.
Only if neighbors get on board with the plan.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

Not without a high fence.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Nope

Skinny
Skinny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Nope. You may get lucky once... even twice. But you can't hold them there
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
mpotts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa Tx

I don't know anything that will keep deer from jumping a Low fence. deer will travel a long ways at times we have 2300 acres and a friend of mine has a place a 2 miles down the road and often times we have the same deer on camera a week or two apart.
mpotts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpotts View Post
I don't know anything that will keep deer from jumping a Low fence. deer will travel a long ways at times we have 2300 acres and a friend of mine has a place a 2 miles down the road and often times we have the same deer on camera a week or two apart.

Yep. My buddy has a place a couple miles from us and we share pics...many of the same deer are on camera.

Skinny
Skinny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Bucks travel many miles during the rut. We have the same buck on different game cams at least a mile apart maybe farther within 2 days.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #9
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

On my 260 acres in Leon co. I can’t get them to 4.5 often. Shame. Great genetics and good habitat.

On my lease, We see them a 1 mile apart on the same day.
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #10
sharpshooter1
Six Point

Hunt In: The South Texas brush

I think you can. We have a 60 acre place a few miles down the road from my house. The neighbors hunt but I don’t think their the “if it’s brown it’s down type” but they aren’t super management minded either. My whole management strategy is don’t shoot any bucks that aren’t mature. There is no such thing as a cull buck on my place. Those culls are decoys for the neighbors to shoot while I’m waiting on the mature bucks. Also make my place as deer friendly as possible. 1 small food plot, plenty of water and lots and lots of cover.
Now granted we usually only kill a mature buck off the place every couple years, not every year. Have plenty of game cam pics of them but once they reach 4.5 their very smart and super skittish. Also we don’t shoot any does on that place. Now the area I’m talking about isn’t known for growing B&C books either so any buck in the low 120s is a great deer for the area. Oh and last but definitely not least is we keep the hunting pressure on our spot to the bare minimum. 1 box stand and feeder and 1 tripod on the 60 acres.
I think it can be done but also be prepared to hear about the neighbors killing some of your bigger bucks every so often.
sharpshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #11
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter1 View Post
I think you can. We have a 60 acre place a few miles down the road from my house. The neighbors hunt but I donít think their the ďif itís brown itís down typeĒ but they arenít super management minded either. My whole management strategy is donít shoot any bucks that arenít mature. There is no such thing as a cull buck on my place. Those culls are decoys for the neighbors to shoot while Iím waiting on the mature bucks. Also make my place as deer friendly as possible. 1 small food plot, plenty of water and lots and lots of cover.
Now granted we usually only kill a mature buck off the place every couple years, not every year. Have plenty of game cam pics of them but once they reach 4.5 their very smart and super skittish. Also we donít shoot any does on that place. Now the area Iím talking about isnít known for growing B&C books either so any buck in the low 120s is a great deer for the area. Oh and last but definitely not least is we keep the hunting pressure on our spot to the bare minimum. 1 box stand and feeder and 1 tripod on the 60 acres.
I think it can be done but also be prepared to hear about the neighbors killing some of your bigger bucks every so often.

Low 120's is a great deer....??? Not shooting does is not good, have to keep the ratios good or a management plan will never work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MasonCo. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #12
brokeno
Six Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

You gotta try. I hunt 200 acres surrounded by 180, 700 and 1000 acre ranches. I am the only one that feeds year round. My son and I have harvested 5 and 6 and even an 8 year old buck last year. I know during the rut bucks travel miles looking for a hot doe. I stress to my neighbors to only harvest mature deer. my 1000 acre neighbor can't understand why we kill mature deer and they don't. Finally got them to understand if you kill them at 2.5 they'll never be big. My 180 acre hunter kills about anything that reaches 13 inches. I had a 2.5 yr 18-19 inch high horn 9 that had been eating protein that would have easily grown to a 150 inch plus deer that didn't make it past the second weekend of rifle season. What a shame. So can you grow mature bucks on 200 acres you got to be lucky and hope your neighbors are on the same page or terrible hunters. At least it's worth a try.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #13
texashunter56
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas in Goliad, Live Oak, La Salle, Pecos to Kansas to Alberta and beyond

Define big? Big for your county or 160+ big? I own 234 acres and have killed bucks into the 145 range on it in the last 5 yrs. I have good neighbors but they all hunt and seem to take mature or 4+ yr olds at least. I have seen a couple of bucks on TC or in person chasing does that I thought were 150ish. 150 deer would be a great buck for my area of the county. I have had deer for 3 yrs on TC so I know they are staying close if not on my little place. I feed protein year round and do spring/fall food plots. Stay out of the good bedding areas and do not overgraze. Being in an AR county has helped a lot also.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 11:05 PM   #14
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Feed'em and let'em get old.
They will get "big".
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 11:34 PM   #15
HighwayHunter
Nubbin' Buck

Set up a food plot or two and make sure the deer have plenty of cover. You won't necessarily grown a giant but if you stay patient and keep little pressure on your deer a mature buck may make his home on your property.

HighwayHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 06:42 AM   #16
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Sure, its possible. If you give them a reason to stay on your place, why wouldn't they? I think if you keep year round plots, keep food on the table, they will stay. I think several small plots are better than one big one. Some of the management gurus may be a better source of info. Start with elgato
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 06:57 AM   #17
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

We manage 250 acres and our neighbor has 500 or so I believe and we turn out some pretty solid deer every few years. You wont kill a 130 or 140 every year, but every few you stand a good chance too. Main thing seems to be getting some age on them. All you can do is pass them up and hope to see them next season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #18
Soggy Bottom
Six Point

Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County

On our 165 acres in Fayette county feeding year round and plenty of food plots seems to help. I know all the neighbors. They only feed during deer season and won't spend the money on plots. That being said we have had some of our better deer disappear pretty sure being shot by the neighbors. One thing I tell my family about shooting bucks on our place is if we shoot him we know he's dead. If we pass him there is a chance we will see him next year. It seems if a buck can make it through Thanksgiving weekend they have a pretty good chance of making it through the year. It is hard to listen to neighbors on opening weekend blast away. Oh well part of hunting small properties.
Soggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #19
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
On our 165 acres in Fayette county feeding year round and plenty of food plots seems to help. I know all the neighbors. They only feed during deer season and won't spend the money on plots. That being said we have had some of our better deer disappear pretty sure being shot by the neighbors. One thing I tell my family about shooting bucks on our place is if we shoot him we know he's dead. If we pass him there is a chance we will see him next year. It seems if a buck can make it through Thanksgiving weekend they have a pretty good chance of making it through the year. It is hard to listen to neighbors on opening weekend blast away. Oh well part of hunting small properties.
Yessir, makes me cringe every time
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #20
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

yes it is possible. Must have genetics first.

We hunt less then 100 and have gotten neighbors on board with our plan. Have shot 2 bucks 137-155 and this was prior to this. Have 3-4 on camera still alive this year that are in that range also.

If you can get neighbors to buy into 5.5 years old it will make a difference. Don't give up
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #21
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

He who has the most corn wins.

We have killed a 143 and a 182 and the neighbor got a 145 8pt in the last ten years. We have 300 acres.

I just let them walk and if they neighbors shoot ain't nothing i can do about it, i just hope that a few get by each year.

we also feed year round and we feed protein.

Someone else said it, you gotta try. Eat does and true culls not horns.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #22
coffmanbr1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County, Anderson County

It really depends on where you are. If you are in East Texas off some back roads deep in the thick then heck yeah you can manage the deer. We do it on our place and its 283 acres.

Very hard to hunt out here so no "weekend" hunter is going to kill any good deer unless they just get really lucky. You are always gonna lose a young buck or two, but we have been watching deer grow out here for three years now and I still see the same deer on camera that at 4.5/5.5 years old now.

We are surrounded by hunters on all sides and still able to grow some big mature bucks.
coffmanbr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #23
Pstraw
Six Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Having good cover, water, and low pressure is key to a small property. We don't shoot does but the neighbors will tale 3-4 a year. Got 3 small groups of does that hang close to our house year round and we feed and plant to keep them here. During the year we may see a bachelor group come thru a few times but in the fall will see more bucks than does. In September when the bucks start roaming we will watch t/c pics and establish target/wait another year for the 'local' deer knowing some will drift but others will filter in here as well.
This morning I was sitting on the front porch with my coffee watching a 130ish eight pt. eating hand corn 75 yds. away.
So yes you can have big deer on a small place. Just have to be patient.
Good luck.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #24
gmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt County

You can’t control what your neighbors do, and you can’t keep a deer from crossing a low fence. These are both facts. However, if you properly manage your habitat and your deer you will see a benefit from it. It may not be as dramatic as if the property were high fenced, but you will see improvements. Creating better habitat and adding food sources and sanctuary’s will increase the animal traffic on your property.

Doing nothing will not make things any better. Same as shooting a 4 year old deer will not make him any bigger. Yes it may keep your neighbor from shooting him, but That really just puts you in the same boat as them.

I have 330 acres. We are on our fourth year managing it. We are seeing bigger deer more frequently. Yes we have had deer taken by neighbors that were either our targets or ones that we had decided to let grow, but we are seeing the benefits of our work.
gmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #25
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

You can only do so much if you don't have every one on board within a few miles of your place you are fighting a losing battle! But do your part in the management program and hopefully you will get rewarded for it
Hoss163 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #26
JAB71
Four Point

Hunt In: Erath, Milam County

We hunt on 360 acres low fence, feed protein year round, have summer/winter plots and water throughout.
We don't shoot till they are mature. Shot 2 bucks in 4 years. Year one was 138 class and this year (yr 4) we shot a 148 class. We are seeing a difference when they have constant supplemental feed and only remove the mature bucks. We have been watching a buck that scored in the 160+ category for three years but have not had a clean shot at him. Have not seen him this year. We let the 3.5-4.5 that range from 120-130 class deer walk. We have gone from 1-2 shooter bucks year 1-3, to 5 shooters this year (yr 4). We take our chances and see If they make it till next year. We have new neighbors who have shot 4 bucks in 3 years. That will definitely hurt in the long run.
feed them and wait till mature. There will usually be at least one smart mature buck that can avoid the average hunter walking through your property. He will be difficult to harvest, but fun to hunt him.
JAB71 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #27
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Our big deer we were hunting all bow season disappeared on Halloween.. He was killed 2 weeks later 8 miles north east of where we were having him come regularly on camera... SO no 200 acres isn't going to be enough to keep and hold deer if the neighbors aren't on board as well.
breederbuck33 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #28
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Just a few pics from 300 acres.

can't keep them from jumping the fence but yes you can grow them it takes patience and will power.
Attached Images

mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #29
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

For sure itís possible, look at the Midwest. Tons of fragmented land and the biggest free range bucks in the country are killed there every year. More land certainly makes it easier and bad neighbors will ruin your chances. (Iím talking about the truly kill everything hunters.) Deer can move a long ways.
Kdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #30
Ruggedhunts45
Nubbin' Buck

Been educational and encouraging. Thanks for all of your input especially the ones that believe the same thing as i do. You can grow deer need to be patient and persistent, building year around feed and natural habitat.
Ruggedhunts45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #31
DeadEyeB
Six Point

Hunt In: LaSalle/Frio

This buck on 100 acres. Feed year round, feed protein, make sure there is a solid water source.. you'll hold some deer.

By and large people are on board with letting bucks get older now days. So just practice QDM and you'll get some big ones.

If you have a large deer population it stops being a big deal if your neighbors take a couple young bucks every year.
Attached Images

DeadEyeB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #32
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Yes it's possible but not year after yr.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #33
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

Get with your neighbors, share pics and see if you can't all get on the same page.

If you shoot bucks every year before they reach their potential because you're worried that if you don't the neighbor will then you are "that neighbor".
Throwin' Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #34
skeeterboud
Four Point

it's ALL up to your neighbors. I own 150 acres, the neighbors shoot everything that walks. a big deer is 70", really. they must know what they are doing, b/c everytime they show you or tell you what they shot, it goes like this..." I chot it juz for meat" my wife is the only one to shoot a deer off the place since I've owned it, it was a 2 1/2 5pt, no brows at all

my brother owns several parcels up to 220 acres. there is not a high fence for 25 miles of the 220 ac place. we pass many 140" deer every year. my tbh pic is the smallest ever killed on the 220, 144". every 2 or 3 yrs a mid 160's shows up.

all depends on your neighbors.

problem is like trophy trout. 1st guy to catch one thinks he must fillet them before the next guy has the chance.......
skeeterboud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #35
HenryP01
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy Bottom View Post

Perfectly stated...

HenryP01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #36
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post
Feed'em and let'em get old.
They will get "big".
yep, you also have to be where "big" deer live. I have 50 acres in Hunt county surrounded by smaller properties that all hunt and we have at least (2) 135"+ deer on camera every year, and many that we see for several years. we also had one that got way bigger than that that nobody ever killed.

I have 2 other small places in areas that produce big deer every year, where the largest landowner is only a couple hundered acres, it takes luck and a lot of patience, and archery only counties help although we just had (2) young bucks killed, one 3yo and one 4yo within the last 2 weeks that would have possibly been a couple of the largest deer these areas have seen, very frustrating.

Last edited by jshouse; 12-07-2017 at 12:00 PM..
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #37
BULL21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
yep, you also have to be where "big" deer live. I have 50 acres in Hunt county surrounded by smaller properties that all hunt and we have at least (2) 135"+ deer on camera every year, and many that we see for several years. we also had one that got way bigger than that that nobody ever killed.

I have 2 other small places in areas that produce big deer every year, where the largest landowner is only a couple hundered acres, it takes luck and a lot of patience, and archery only counties help although we just had (2) young bucks killed, one 3yo and one 4yo within the last 2 weeks that would have possibly been a couple of the largest deer these areas have seen, very frustrating.
where you at in Hunt County. I have 18 acres just south of Greenville. Feed protein year round have an acre summer plot and an acre winter plot. Have had bucks up to 177". Right know looking at 2 135-140" eights.
BULL21 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #38
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULL21 View Post
where you at in Hunt County. I have 18 acres just south of Greenville. Feed protein year round have an acre summer plot and an acre winter plot. Have had bucks up to 177". Right know looking at 2 135-140" eights.
southern end, around the lake. our biggest this year is a 10 that will be in the 40s, we had another real nice 10 about the same size but haven't seen him in a while.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #39
MisterSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Chambers, Bandera, Batson

Depends, If you manage to hold "the right buck" on your property. All planets must line up.
MisterSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #40
mpotts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa Tx

If you shoot them because you think your neighbor will then you are no better than your
neighbor.
mpotts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #41
DaddyO
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bryan County,Oklahoma land owner

It is possible....I own 120 acres around Bokchito Oklahoma and killed a 154 last weekend. There are couple of other bucks that will score higher that are running around.
DaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top