Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-21-2017, 12:15 AM   #1
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX
Default Richland Creek youth hunt

My nephew got drawn for the youth hunt at Richland Creek next weekend. I will be taking him and we will be taking ATV as well. I have never hunted there before, anybody got any info/advice they wouldn't mind sharing? Feel free to post or PM. We will be taking climbers, pop ups, whatever we gotta do to be in the right location and get him a shot at one.
SolocamShooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
WTJim
Eight Point

Take a popup and a 2 man ladder stand unless nephew is old enough to use climber on his own. Make sure he is comfortable. Biggest mistake hunters do in the "big woods" is start moving too early. Need to put time in stand, all day, if you can. Try to find open lanes and hardwoods in the woods. Try to refrain from hunting right of ways and such. The bigger bucks will skirt around these areas unless locked onto a hot doe. I have hunted Tennesseee Colony, Yard, Greens Bluff area since I was knee high to a grasshopper. The river flooded giving landowners surrounding Richland Creek an opportunity at the bruisers that had to swim to high ground...Deer are used to it but there is no telling how many bucks pushed out of RC were harvested. Yall will have a very good chance at killing a big buck if you hunt hard.
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTJim View Post
Take a popup and a 2 man ladder stand unless nephew is old enough to use climber on his own. Make sure he is comfortable. Biggest mistake hunters do in the "big woods" is start moving too early. Need to put time in stand, all day, if you can. Try to find open lanes and hardwoods in the woods. Try to refrain from hunting right of ways and such. The bigger bucks will skirt around these areas unless locked onto a hot doe. I have hunted Tennesseee Colony, Yard, Greens Bluff area since I was knee high to a grasshopper. The river flooded giving landowners surrounding Richland Creek an opportunity at the bruisers that had to swim to high ground...Deer are used to it but there is no telling how many bucks pushed out of RC were harvested. Yall will have a very good chance at killing a big buck if you hunt hard.
We will do that, he's 16 and good with a climber. He hunts the NF with me. Do you know anything about which areas of the WMA are better than others?
Old 10-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County
Default Richland Creek youth hunt

My daughter was drawn twice for Richland Creek
Both times we were on units on the north side. Both times saw lots of deer.
I bet y'all have a good hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sparkles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

One thing about it this year is they are only letting you kill one deer, he has made it very clear he can kill does around here he's only interested in a good buck!
Old 10-21-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
My daughter was drawn twice for Richland Creek
Both times we were on units on the north side. Both times saw lots of deer.
I bet y'all have a good hunt.

Did y'all hunt out of a pop up?
Old 10-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolocamShooter View Post
Did y'all hunt out of a pop up?

Yup
Both times.
There are definitely some good deer there

Old 10-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Freestone Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTJim View Post
Hunters around there are smart, they do not talk or post social media for the most part, LOTTA TOADS got shot around there on private land due to the floods, thats why they went to the limiting only 1 deer per hunter
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #9
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Yeah man I don't expect too much specifics just looking for compartment info etc. we can narrow it down from there if anybody's got any tips they wouldn't mind PMing me
Old 10-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #10
bossbowman
Ten Point

Last time I was there you don't really get to pick your compartment, you can request one but they select where they put you. Part of it they base it off your party size, vehicle clearance and if you have 4x4 or not, smaller groups sometimes get put in a compartment with someone else and you have to hash it out with them who gets what part of the unit.

Last edited by bossbowman; 10-21-2017 at 09:50 PM..
Old 10-21-2017, 10:30 PM   #11
furtrapper
Six Point

Hunt In: Navarro and Freestone counties

North side is better than the South side, try to hunt the oak trees, not a lot of oak trees around either side, North side has some private land in it by the small lake and have seen some good bucks in there next to the private property the lake provides a natural funnel
furtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #12
furtrapper
Six Point

Check out the recent airreal photos for natural funnels. Also if it's dry think about water,not many deer to go the river because of the steep slick banks. Forgot to mention there are a few gators around

Last edited by furtrapper; 10-21-2017 at 10:41 PM..
Old 10-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #13
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Alright thank y'all for the info!
Old 10-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #14
Gom
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freestone Counties

We were drawn for several hunts there. They do choose compartments based on group size but I believe they still allow you to request several choices for a compartment and they consider that when they draw. We always liked compartment 5. Has all you could want, clearings, woods, right of ways, ATV trails and a couple good sized ponds. We always used pop ups and don't forget your Thermocell. Try to be comfortable enough to hunt all day. You will see the biggest ones when you least expect them. Mostly retired from hunting, so I don't mind sharing the secrets of this great place.
Gom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #15
furtrapper
Six Point

Ah yes bugs will be bad, headnets are good
Old 10-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #16
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by furtrapper View Post
Ah yes bugs will be bad, headnets are good

Headnet? Who still uses those since Thermacell was invented?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #17
WTJim
Eight Point

No matter where you hunt, you have a great chance at great deer. Be mindful the mosquitos swarm cool evening will drown out the sounds of the woods. Have a bug suit and a thermacell. Last I knew you can't wait but that not a worry if you hunt hardwoods dropping acorns and/or fresh deer sign. Y'all will have a great time.
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2017, 11:28 PM   #18
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by furtrapper View Post
North side is better than the South side, try to hunt the oak trees, not a lot of oak trees around either side, North side has some private land in it by the small lake and have seen some good bucks in there next to the private property the lake provides a natural funnel
Lot of the primo stuff on the north side was bulldozed when they built the wetlands, all the better deer I've seen have come off the south unit, but theres alot more acreage on that side, plus it borders the forbidden zone. And Gom is right if you bring and ATV or not will also be a determining factor in what compartment they put your in.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:54 AM   #19
tdwinklr
Four Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
My nephew got drawn for the youth hunt at Richland Creek next weekend. I will be taking him and we will be taking ATV as well. I have never hunted there before, anybody got any info/advice they wouldn't mind sharing? Feel free to post or PM. We will be taking climbers, pop ups, whatever we gotta do to be in the right location and get him a shot at one.
My sons were both picked a few times several years ago and they each shot their first deer there. The mgmt there always placed us on the North side, where the pipelines run through. Always saw lots of deer, and some real nice ones too. Of course when we saw the nice bucks, we were in a doe/spike hunt and vice versa. Oh well, at least we always came home with meat. They put on a good hunt there and the biologists will help you with questions.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #20
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I hunted twice there as an adult and twice with my kids. My son didn't want to stay the whole time and that probably cost him some opportunities. He hunted the YDE hunt in 2014. My daughter shot her first deer on a management hunt in 2014. On all of our hunts we were in the north units.

There was a unit that was close to county line, right off 287, that my kids hunted (unit 14). We saw lots of deer but no wall hangers. As an adult, I hunted unit 21 a couple of times. Saw a wall hanger in 2004 there, but couldn't get the shot before he jumped the fence.

Good luck finding trees to climb with a climber. I used a climber, but it wasn't always optimal. Used a ground blind with the kids and that worked pretty well.

Good luck!
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #21
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Appreciate the help y'all hopefully he can smoke a good one!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #22
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

We have thermacell and refill packs ready to go!
Old 10-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #23
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

i have a place 7 miles down the road, i've hunted RC 4 different times and i drew for the bow hunt this year (Dec 4-8)
you are going to hit it right, the weather will be good and the bucks up there are starting to move. I'm headed up to our place thursday night to hunt the wknd. drop me a note sunday and i'll tell you exactly what the deer are doing.
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #24
McLovin
Spike

Hunt In: Somerville

If they put you on the South side, one of the compartments that borders the "Forbidden Zone" would be good if you don't mind walking in a ways. I don't remember the compartment number but it is one of the first ones on the left after you leave the check station. A guy there was using a climber and I have seen some niiiice deer in the evenings grazing in the Forbidden Zone.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #25
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Well
How’d it go?

Old 10-29-2017, 04:18 PM   #26
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

We are in compartment 1 behind the camp/check station. We have seen an average of 25-30 deer a sit. We are hunting a very big deer we have seen twice now but nephew was unable to get a shot. He's passed on some other good deer hoping to get this one. We have till dark left, I'm thinking here in another hr or so the trophy hunting will be over and the does better look out!
Old 10-29-2017, 04:32 PM   #27
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Nice

Old 10-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #28
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
We are in compartment 1 behind the camp/check station. We have seen an average of 25-30 deer a sit. We are hunting a very big deer we have seen twice now but nephew was unable to get a shot. He's passed on some other good deer hoping to get this one. We have till dark left, I'm thinking here in another hr or so the trophy hunting will be over and the does better look out!
Sounds like you got one of the units bordering the forbidden zone.. Well?
Old 10-29-2017, 09:35 PM   #29
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hoping they got a good one

Old 10-29-2017, 09:43 PM   #30
Texifornia
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

If your Thermacell keeps away biting Gnats let me know what I'm doing wrong. I had mine going in the treestand Saturday and they ate me up. I had deer around most of the evening waiting on a big 9 and movement to keep em out of my eyes was slow. No bueno!
Texifornia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2017, 10:35 PM   #31
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

He got it done at the last min tonight. Not the biggest out there at all but a solid first buck and he's super happy! Scored 123 and change.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:35 PM   #32
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Well crap it won't let me upload the pic
Old 10-29-2017, 10:50 PM   #33
Gom
Eight Point

Quote:
He got it done at the last min tonight. Not the biggest out there at all but a solid first buck and he's super happy! Scored 123 and change.
Congrats! You just made a memory for life. Betcha he is ready to go back next year.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:00 PM   #34
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Awesome
Congrats to y’all

Old 10-30-2017, 12:17 AM   #35
kmon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

Congrats to the young man. Thanks for getting him out there, memories being made.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 12:35 AM   #36
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Here's a pic of the deer. He was super patient on this hunt, once it started coming down to the wire I was sort of encouraging him to shoot a doe rather than go home empty-handed but he was adamant he wanted a good buck and wanted to wait. His patience paid off!
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2017, 12:38 AM   #37
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gom View Post
Congrats! You just made a memory for life. Betcha he is ready to go back next year.
Yes he is but funny thing is this was the last year he could apply for youth hunts. He'll be 17 next year. I told him good luck ever getting drawn on a good hunt again, he'll be in the same boat as me lol.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:45 AM   #38
Bryan
Four Point

Hunt In: Batson

He prob got drawn because we had to drop out. Glad he was able to kill! Nice buck no doubt.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #39
porkrind
Six Point

Hunt In: Woodsboro, Tx

Congrats!
porkrind is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 09:42 AM   #40
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes he is but funny thing is this was the last year he could apply for youth hunts. He'll be 17 next year. I told him good luck ever getting drawn on a good hunt again, he'll be in the same boat as me lol.
Yep, unfortuneatly since the system went online odds are bad, got several categories with over 10 years of points and still can't draw.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #41
JSBrit
Six Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Congrats on a nice buck!!
JSBrit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 10:46 AM   #42
SunsUpGunsUp
Eight Point

I drove below the dam after sunset last night and saw at least 100 deer out in that big pasture. Some groups of 20 or more deer. There was one group of probably 12 bucks. Crazy.

Nice deer!
SunsUpGunsUp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #43
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Look at the brow tines! Congrats on a nice public land buck. Love me some RCWMA
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 04:08 AM   #44
tdwinklr
Four Point

Quote:
good spot.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:09 AM   #45
tdwinklr
Four Point

Quote:
Here's a pic of the deer. He was super patient on this hunt, once it started coming down to the wire I was sort of encouraging him to shoot a doe rather than go home empty-handed but he was adamant he wanted a good buck and wanted to wait. His patience paid off!

very nice!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #46
Gom
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
I drove below the dam after sunset last night and saw at least 100 deer out in that big pasture. Some groups of 20 or more deer. There was one group of probably 12 bucks. Crazy.

Nice deer!
That's the "Forbidden Zone" owned by Tarrant County Water District. Haven't checked it out this year, but you would be surprised at what bucks you might see there. We invested in some spotting scopes a few years back for the sole purpose of wildlife viewing.We would have people stop and ask to take a look too and their jaws would drop. Heavy racks, wide racks, drop tines and a surprising number of palmated racks. Definatly good genetics are thriving there!
Only the remains of Chambers creek separate it from the RC unit, you can't help but dream of the bucks that nobody has seen!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #47
CayugaBowHunter
Nubbin' Buck

I lease 500+ acres on the other side of the river across from Compartment 11. I'm curious to know how hard it is to get drawn for a bow or rifle deer hunt? like how realistically are we talking? Also have seen 140, 150 and even 160" deer when the river floods.

Have also seen 2 albinos when it flooded last year and 100+ deer in an evening hunt. The river really brings the monsters out from the WMA when it rises.
CayugaBowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #48
TXOUTLAW
Six Point

Very nice. Good job young man

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
TXOUTLAW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #49
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CayugaBowHunter View Post
I lease 500+ acres on the other side of the river across from Compartment 11. I'm curious to know how hard it is to get drawn for a bow or rifle deer hunt? like how realistically are we talking? Also have seen 140, 150 and even 160" deer when the river floods.

Have also seen 2 albinos when it flooded last year and 100+ deer in an evening hunt. The river really brings the monsters out from the WMA when it rises.
Rediculously hard. Not worth the effort.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #50
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Rediculously hard. Not worth the effort.
Its stupid considering the place used to be type 2 public land 1999 and before and you could bowhunt deer all season with the $48 permit. I haven't drawn a deer hunt there in over 10 years.