Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #51
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin co. /Boswell, Ok.

That is too cool! Great shot as well. I cant imagine making a shot that good while shooting straight up! Well done Sir!
Hunter Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #52
lepperson
Six Point

Hunt In: East TX, Kansas, Oklahoma

Just cool all the way around! Congrats!
lepperson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2017, 09:17 PM   #53
Jason Sanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weimar,Tx

Congrats !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #54
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere they let me in!

Well, we started out the morning early meeting up with everyone before splitting up and heading our separate ways. Curly and I head back to the Taos area to a spot he'd got some info on some recent activity. With food sources so scattered, the bears aren't congregated like normal and it's been tough going for them. Anyhow, we got the dogs rigged up and he'd up the mountain. We hadn't been going for maybe 15 minutes and the dogs struck. We hopped outa the truck and spotted a fresh track instantly. Curly let the dogs loose and it want a couple minutes the dogs were already on the bear. The mountain we were on wasn't super steep and was covered sparsely with juniper bushes, but at the top was basically straight rock cliffs. We watched and listened as the dogs made there way up the side of the mountain into a small canyon break where there were a few tall pines we figured the bear would tree. Unfortunately, we didn't get that lucky...
The race ensued and the bear actually out ran about half the pack as the backside of the mountain was nearly all rock cliffs. Luckily, a few in the pack kept pace and the other dogs finally caught up and were able to tree the bear after a 37 minute chase 3 miles away from where we dropped them off. We drove around the backside of the mountain and found an old pig trail that hadn't been used in years and were able to get within 560 yards and of the bear. Of the 560 yards, about 100 was flat and the rest was straight down hill. We finally reached the bear and got the dogs tied up and shuffled around to get into position for a shot, which to me ended up being less than ideal not only because of the straight up angle, but also because the bear was facing me. I chatted with Curly about where he thought would be best to shoot and we were both on the same page so we decided to roll with it. As I drew, my arrow wanted to lift off the rest badly due to the angle so I put a bit of pressure on top of my nock with my index finger to pull it down, which typically I don't use at all. All I could think as I drew back was to focus on that tiny little tuft of hair in the center of his chest, and as I drew further, my body and mind kicked into full instinctive auto pilot mode as I truly don't remember hitting full draw or releasing the arrow, it's like it was just in the air and on its way as if in slow motion. When the arrow struck, instantly I knew I'd made a perfect shot, but still was going to try and get another in him if possible but never got the chance. The bear turned away, then buckled a bit before falling backwards to the ground and rolling into a small drainage. I loaded another and went as fast I could towards him to try and get another in him on the ground, but there was too much brush in the way, and even so, no second shot was needed. Curly called me off and said he's done.

I had just killed my first bear.

MedicineMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2017, 10:52 PM   #55
LMButler
Six Point

Great story Shiloh, thanks for taking us along with you on this great hunt. Congrats again.
LMButler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #56
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Fantastic. Glad it came together and you were up to the tough hike and shot.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 12:37 AM   #57
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Thanks all. It was a trip for sure! Today was supposed to be it, but we are gonna give it a whirl in the morning and see if we can get my father-n-law a bear. Sure hoping it works out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Todd View Post
That is too cool! Great shot as well. I cant imagine making a shot that good while shooting straight up! Well done Sir!

I honestly was a bit worried just because of the awkwardness of the position I was in, but thankfully it all worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermonkey View Post
Congrats Shiloh!! And super good on you bout gettin Curly "hooked for life"! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

It's definitely cool to see someone whose never shot trad before to really get excited about it after they've shot it a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Fantastic. Glad it came together and you were up to the tough hike and shot.

The walk in wasn't to bad and I was able to keep up with Curly really good. The climb out was a bit rougher. I carried the pack out with hide and meat and made it nearly 3/4 the way up the mountain before I handed it off to Curly.

I broke my foot 3 weeks ago and all that weight on my back and going up the mountain at such a steep angle had me feeling it tonight for sure!!!

Old 10-04-2017, 04:39 AM   #58
EnW
Ten Point

Congratulations Shiloh!
EnW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #59
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

That's awesome!! Way to get it done.

CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #60
Bisch
Pope & Young

Way to go bud! Can't wait for pics!

Congrats!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #61
n8vtxn1
Eight Point

Hunt In: all over

Congrats Sir! Thank you so much for sharing!
n8vtxn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #62
Horn chaser
Ten Point

Congrats again Shiloh. Thanks for the great story and bringing us along on your adventure.
Horn chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #63
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Great writeup

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #64
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Well, I can't seem to get the dang video uploaded! I'll fight with it a bit more when I get a chance. Here's a few snapshots from the video.

We are on our way in now. They graciously allowed us to hunt one more day in hopes my father in law Bryan could get his bear. Thankfully, we stayed and ol Curly and his pack was able to get us in on a monster of a bear. One shot from his 54 cal flintlock and the bear was done. This was his first ever guides hunt and he'd always dreamed of shooting a bear and his patience definitely paid off!

Old 10-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #65
ra61hunting
Six Point

Great hunt. Congrats to both you guys.
ra61hunting is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #66
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=VeNneW

Old 10-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #67
DRT
Pope & Young

That's icing on the cake! Good times. Congratulations to him.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2017, 11:04 PM   #68
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
That's icing on the cake! Good times. Congratulations to him.

Thank you sir.

We are currently stuck in Santa Fe waiting on a ranger for last 3 hours to check our bears and hoping he shows up soon.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #69
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Awesome

Thanks for sharing your adventure
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #70
Bisch
Pope & Young

Congrats to both of y'all!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #71
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I just now got a chance to read through this thread. Great story Shiloh I really enjoyed it . I really enjoyed all the pics especially the ones of the dogs ! A good working dog is a true thing of beauty !!congrats on a great hunt and a great trophy!!
Randy Madden is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #72
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Awesome!! Congrats to him as well, love the flintlock.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #73
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Thanks again everyone. It was a fun trip for sure, until yesterday evening that is when our lucky streaks essentially ran out....
We arrived at the New Mexico State Fish and Game Offices to get our bears tagged so we would be legal for out of state transport right at 5 yesterday evening as everyone was heading out. I asked a lady if she could help us as we were trying to make it back home as we both had obligations at work this morning and she kindly obliged and went back to find a biologist. When they came out, the biologist told us she was the only one there that could tag and check in bears, but she was going to Albuquerque and didn't have time to check them and we'd have to either wait till the next morning or call a game ranger.....
To make a long story short, out of the 4 rangers in the area, none answered there phones, and one's mail box was full and couldn't take messages. So, I text the one closest to the area and told him the situation and he said it wouldn't be a problem checking them in, but it would be an hour before he could meet as he was on his way to check in another bear elsewhere(this was at 5:40)..2 hours later he finally responded to a call and didn't act interested in checking our bears in last night but said he could the next morning. I told him we were unable to stay the night and finally he agreed to meet and told us where to be (this was at 7:40)....10:30 rolls around and no answered texts, or calls so we leave to go find ice for the hides and meat, as well as find a safe place to park and sleep for the night...10:40 I get a text that says he didn't see us and left out, so I call and tell him where we were (which was 2.5miles from the original meeting place) and he says he'd turn around and meet us there. At 11:50PM he arrived and got our bears checked in and we were finally on the road at 12:30am. We switched on and off driving so we could each get a bit of rest and made it back without any other issues.... I will say I'm one worn out fella though. Those RockStar Energy drinks aint quite as good as they used to be when I drank them in college to keep me up to study!!!
Old 10-06-2017, 07:31 AM   #74
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
Thanks again everyone. It was a fun trip for sure, until yesterday evening that is when our lucky streaks essentially ran out....
We arrived at the New Mexico State Fish and Game Offices to get our bears tagged so we would be legal for out of state transport right at 5 yesterday evening as everyone was heading out. I asked a lady if she could help us as we were trying to make it back home as we both had obligations at work this morning and she kindly obliged and went back to find a biologist. When they came out, the biologist told us she was the only one there that could tag and check in bears, but she was going to Albuquerque and didn't have time to check them and we'd have to either wait till the next morning or call a game ranger.....
To make a long story short, out of the 4 rangers in the area, none answered there phones, and one's mail box was full and couldn't take messages. So, I text the one closest to the area and told him the situation and he said it wouldn't be a problem checking them in, but it would be an hour before he could meet as he was on his way to check in another bear elsewhere(this was at 5:40)..2 hours later he finally responded to a call and didn't act interested in checking our bears in last night but said he could the next morning. I told him we were unable to stay the night and finally he agreed to meet and told us where to be (this was at 7:40)....10:30 rolls around and no answered texts, or calls so we leave to go find ice for the hides and meat, as well as find a safe place to park and sleep for the night...10:40 I get a text that says he didn't see us and left out, so I call and tell him where we were (which was 2.5miles from the original meeting place) and he says he'd turn around and meet us there. At 11:50PM he arrived and got our bears checked in and we were finally on the road at 12:30am. We switched on and off driving so we could each get a bit of rest and made it back without any other issues.... I will say I'm one worn out fella though. Those RockStar Energy drinks aint quite as good as they used to be when I drank them in college to keep me up to study!!!
That is a big ol steamin pile of BS right there.

I can't imagine it would take very long to check a bear and tag it/give you documentation

You can bet I would be emailing her supervisor and letting him know what I thought about that situation
Old 10-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #75
Selfbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ya'll take Me

Congrats Shiloh . That is some beautiful country I hunted there for years. I went back to unit 81 in Colorado this last summer only to see the powder post beatals had destroyed miles of the forest north of there. Yes chasing those dogs at 9000 ft Ain't all it's cracked up to be. Wait about twenty years and try it again. Arvin
Selfbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #76
widdler
Ten Point

Hunt In: HUFFMAN

Arvin you know that there is nobody as old as you. Nice bears Shiloh.
widdler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #77
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
That is a big ol steamin pile of BS right there.

I can't imagine it would take very long to check a bear and tag it/give you documentation

You can bet I would be emailing her supervisor and letting him know what I thought about that situation
Honestly sir, I was so shocked at the fact that she told us no, I didn't even think about getting her name or I can promise I would be sending multiple letters out.
Also, had the warden showed up originally as he'd said he would, it would have made the whole situation much easier.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #78
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfbowman View Post
Congrats Shiloh . That is some beautiful country I hunted there for years. I went back to unit 81 in Colorado this last summer only to see the powder post beatals had destroyed miles of the forest north of there. Yes chasing those dogs at 9000 ft Ain't all it's cracked up to be. Wait about twenty years and try it again. Arvin
It's definitely some beautiful country up there no doubt. The chasing wasn't the hard part, it was the packing out that was the killer!!
Old 10-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #79
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Well after a week away, I'm back at it this evening. Got out a lil later than planned but swung into a place I have that's on the way home from work. Just hunted once in the miserable heat last weekend against better judgement with no luck. Hoping to log some time in the tree this weekend!
We have front coming thru tomorrow night with a good chance of rain ending around 8 or 9 Sunday morning. Hopefully something reads the script and comes in!!

Old 10-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #80
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

And right outa the gate I have seen my first deer for the year!

Old 10-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #81
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Good luck!!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #82
DRT
Pope & Young

Deer meat cooked in bear grease. Mmmm. . .

Old 10-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #83
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

And here come the pigs

Old 10-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #84
DRT
Pope & Young

Bacon fat works too.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #85
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Well, they came in grunting and ran the deer off. It's a pair of calicoes that I've got tons of pics of. One is a giant sow and the other looks to be a big sow as well which gives me
More incentive to kill!!

The bigger of the two circles around in the brush just out of range checking the wind and grunting the whole time. The other came in range once and in may have had a shot opportunity at it but I was really focusing on the big sow because she was so nervous. They never committed and scurried off further into the timber to another pecan tree.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #86
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Kinda got wild. I heard some leafs rustle and got to looking and spotted a coyote so I stood up and started squeaking. He came into about 23 yards and all I had was a shot from his shoulder forward through some heavy hardwood, so basically what I'd call a "poke and hope" shot. I couldn't not try it so i rared back and let one fly. I'll just say it's go big to be fun pulling that grizzly head outa that tree I'm afraid....

About 5 minutes later, I head something from the direction the pigs had went, and sure enough here comes a nice boar. He skirted the edge of the timer just out of range, then circled back into it about 20 yards out. I had to do some maneuvers to get my bow in a place where I could shoot it without hitting a limb, but was able to do so just as he hit a small opening. I grunted to stop him and had a couple leaves that were just perfect aiming points right in the pocket and I let the arrow fly. It was a bit dark but the arrow went right where I was looking and the pig groaned really loud and bolted away a few yards before slowly to a walk. I never heard him fall for sure, but he went I. The direction I walk out on so we shall see how good the shot actually was.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #87
DRT
Pope & Young

Hoping for LDPs.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #88
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Well, couple does showed up after the shot so I had to wait till after dark to sneak out. The grizzly that missed the yote buried pretty deep so I'll have take some tools to get it out.

All I had for a light was my phone, but I stumbled around and found my arrow. Really strange looking as the top third had lots of blood and the bottom 2/3s was dry with several patches of mud on it. Going to go look for a bit in the morning when I go retrieve my broadhead.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #89
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hope you got him

Good luck on recovery and have fun digging broadhead out of that tree
Old 10-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #90
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
Hope you got him

Good luck on recovery and have fun digging broadhead out of that tree

Yea, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to end up cutting the whole dang tree down!

Back in the blind this morning. Moved to the back part of the place along a pasture road between bedding areas. Most pics are at night but a few other morning stragglers roll thru. I've got one buck over here I really wanna see up close and in person. Dropped off the wife on the way in at another spot a few hundred yards away. Hopefully she'll have some action.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #91
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Old 10-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #92
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Good luck Shiloh!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #93
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

Good luck as well Shiloh!! Hey, I made me a tool years ago for removing broadheads buried in a tree... Seems I too have the tendency to "occasionally" bury one in a tree! Anyway, if ya weren't so far I could help ya out... but, I guess all I can give ya at the moment is... Get to whittlin' Good luck on finding the big nasty boar! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #94
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Oh, and good luck to the Missus as well! Yeah, I'm stuck at work...
Old 10-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #95
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Good luck this morning!!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #96
quackaholic1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass county

Congrats
quackaholic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #97
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Well, no blood spilled this morning. The wife had a buck come in but elected to pass. I think I've rubbed off on her abut because when we first got together, she'd shoot anything! The last couple years since she's really started running cameras with me and seeing how the bucks jump in size, she's become more picky on me.

We looked for a bit for the pig with no luck. We had a pretty heavy due on the ground so if there was just a lil blood, it most likely was washed out. The strip of timber I was in wasn't very big and I'm pretty sure he went out of it and into shoulder high prairie grass. I got my arrow and there is a pig out there somewhere with a hole in him so I'm good with it!

Old 10-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #98
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermonkey View Post
Good luck as well Shiloh!! Hey, I made me a tool years ago for removing broadheads buried in a tree... Seems I too have the tendency to "occasionally" bury one in a tree! Anyway, if ya weren't so far I could help ya out... but, I guess all I can give ya at the moment is... Get to whittlin' Good luck on finding the big nasty boar! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

May have to pick your brain a bit on your broadhead removal tool. Only had about an inch out of 3 inches sticking out and it was a booger getting out!!

Old 10-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #99
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Heck if you got it without destroying the head you did good. Depending on the type of tree I cut in around the head on both sides and try to create a "pocket" to start working the head out.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2017, 11:58 PM   #100
spidermonkey
Eight Point

I'll see if I can get ya some pics of the "redneck broadhead dislodger"! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty