Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #501
coldgas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hemphill Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post
Anyone hear anything about that poaching ring they busted in gray and wheeler counties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw there were 4 people arrested. I didn't recognize any of the names. Think they were all from pampa.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
coldgas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #502
Top Of Texas
Eight Point

Hunt In: Panhandle

Quote:
Anyone hear anything about that poaching ring they busted in gray and wheeler counties?

Yes, they (wardens) did.
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #503
Top Of Texas
Eight Point

http://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/4...-poaching-ring
Old 12-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #504
Heron
Eight Point

So that's where my shooters have gone. That'll teach those bucks for staying nocturnal.

Seriously, though, I don't see the reason for this. It might make some sense if they were selling deer parts or feeding the family, but just driving around, shooting deer and letting them lie makes no sense to me. What a waste. Hope a lot of vehicles and anything else of value are seized.
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #505
texag93
Pope & Young

Deer moment was hit and miss all week in Motley Co. I would see 3-4 deer one sitting and 15 the next.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #506
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Movement pcked up here this morning snd tonight. 3 new bucks between this mornng snd this evening and a big shooter 9 showed on camera on the 29th. My hopes got a little bump today.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #507
pickles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Right now hunting the Texas Panhandle

Went to the lease this weekend with a friend. Saturday was awesome. Bucks running doe like crazy. Rattled a couple bucks to the stand. Saw two shooters but they had no interest in us and were running 100 MPH. Then this morning saw very little action. Sure was nice to get out though. I've noticed so far in this panhandle country the bucks sure do break off their antlers quicker than what I'm used to. They must sure love to scrap. lol

Do have a question for you Panhandle veterans.

We have a place just north of Hedley TX in Donley County. 1600 acres. Pretty good cover. Lots of shinrey and pin oak looking trees. We are somewhat overpopulated with whitetail (just my opinion). Every now then we get some small mule deer bucks on camera. Also some doe every now then. They seem to run with the whitetail most of the time. And I have heard there are decent mule deer killed in the area.

So given where we are. Do you guys think it's worth trying to bring in some bigger mule deer? I mean do you think they might be there or would be more than likely be wasting time? Also how would you guys start attempting to bring them on the property more? Primary food? Plots? Alfalfa?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome. As I am very uneducated on the area and mule deer in general. Figured you folks would know probably better than anyone I could find online.

Thanks in advance.
pickles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #508
Johnny_Dodson
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
Went to the lease this weekend with a friend. Saturday was awesome. Bucks running doe like crazy. Rattled a couple bucks to the stand. Saw two shooters but they had no interest in us and were running 100 MPH. Then this morning saw very little action. Sure was nice to get out though. I've noticed so far in this panhandle country the bucks sure do break off their antlers quicker than what I'm used to. They must sure love to scrap. lol

Do have a question for you Panhandle veterans.

We have a place just north of Hedley TX in Donley County. 1600 acres. Pretty good cover. Lots of shinrey and pin oak looking trees. We are somewhat overpopulated with whitetail (just my opinion). Every now then we get some small mule deer bucks on camera. Also some doe every now then. They seem to run with the whitetail most of the time. And I have heard there are decent mule deer killed in the area.

So given where we are. Do you guys think it's worth trying to bring in some bigger mule deer? I mean do you think they might be there or would be more than likely be wasting time? Also how would you guys start attempting to bring them on the property more? Primary food? Plots? Alfalfa?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome. As I am very uneducated on the area and mule deer in general. Figured you folks would know probably better than anyone I could find online.

Thanks in advance.

There are bigger ones in that area, they are just good at hiding. Get as much food and cover as possible on the property. Lots of whitetail numbers will keep down mule deer numbers to a degree, just cause whitetail are more aggressive and the land has a certain carrying capacity and both are competing generally for same food.
If you can put in a large alfalfa or wheat field in center of property you should hold some there and then itís just a waiting game for 2 weeks a year. Normally they show up week after season.

Johnny_Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #509
Line-man33
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Kent County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Movement pcked up here this morning snd tonight. 3 new bucks between this mornng snd this evening and a big shooter 9 showed on camera on the 29th. My hopes got a little bump today.
whe

Where do you hunt I hunt on the stonewall/Kent county line the sign actually splits our property?
Line-man33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 09:24 AM   #510
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quail, Marilla

I have to admit, I got bored with deer hunting again this season. The older I get, the easier that happens.

Went coyote calling instead, killed 4 on 4 stands. Should have been 5.

I was glad to see them bust that poaching ring. Been a lot of that kind of stuff going on up here in the panhandle the last few years. There was also the deal from Childress/Quanah earlier this season where folks were shooting and selling deer to the processor. Last year we had a deal just east of town here where 5-6 deer were shot out in a wheat field and left to lay, a couple with heads cut off. One of those was a really nice one that escaped from the poachers and made it over onto another property before he died. Even though they killed him, at least they didn't get his rack.

We have also had lots of trouble with folks from out of state just showing up and road hunting quail. Stay in a motel room and just drive county roads all day shooting birds. One of the big landowners I call coyotes on has just got done hanging all new no trespassing signs again.

Coyote pics:

IMG_3651 by , on Flickr

IMG_3657 by , on Flickr
Jethro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #511
kry226
Ten Point

Seen a couple of yotes on my place and killed one. Gotta admit the yotes look fat and happy this year. Beautiful coats.

Dang it.

So I'm done for the year and now back in Deutschland. Seen lots of deer at my little ranchito, but nothing mature AT ALL. If it weren't for the side trip to Kansas, I'd not have much to show for it but some good memories, and fabulous sunrises and sunsets...they're the most important part anyway.

I was able to lay waste to a few hogs, but not nearly enough.

Y'all be safe and best of luck to each of you. I'll be watching, as always.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #512
pickles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Right now hunting the Texas Panhandle

Quote:
There are bigger ones in that area, they are just good at hiding. Get as much food and cover as possible on the property. Lots of whitetail numbers will keep down mule deer numbers to a degree, just cause whitetail are more aggressive and the land has a certain carrying capacity and both are competing generally for same food.
If you can put in a large alfalfa or wheat field in center of property you should hold some there and then itís just a waiting game for 2 weeks a year. Normally they show up week after season.

Thanks for the feedback kind sir! Like I said. Very uneducated on Mule deer and the Panhandle in general. So every little bit of info helps.

This may be a stupid question but do you mean like feeding alfalfa bales or planting alfalfa?
pickles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #513
coldgas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
Seen a couple of yotes on my place and killed one. Gotta admit the yotes look fat and happy this year. Beautiful coats.

Dang it.

So I'm done for the year and now back in Deutschland. Seen lots of deer at my little ranchito, but nothing mature AT ALL. If it weren't for the side trip to Kansas, I'd not have much to show for it but some good memories, and fabulous sunrises and sunsets...they're the most important part anyway.

Sorry you didn't get a panhandle buck but congrats on the Kansas deer. I'm not seeing shooters either. Only seen 1 shooter and he refuses to come in bow range. Looking like I'll probably just kill some does this year. Can't eat horns any way!

Have a safe trip and a merry Christmas!

Old 12-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #514
Top Of Texas
Eight Point

Pickles,

There's not much to do. Mule deer actually prefer less cover and more rough topography. If you don't own the place then there's not much you could do on reducing cover.

A mule deer buck's home range is over 10,000 ac.

Bringing in "bigger" mule deer won't do anything and TPWD wouldn't approve it anyway due to habitat structure and high whitetail numbers.

A large irrigated field of alfalfa and/or wheat could hold local mule deer (won't make new mule deer), but will also suck in additional whitetail. On 1600 ac, best to leave as much habitat as possible. A centered wheat field wouldn't hurt, and definitely attracts deer, as long as you didn't destroy good habitat to do it.

The best management a hunter can do is to fill all his whitetail doe tags and only shoot bucks that are 6-7 yrs old.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #515
Top Of Texas
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post

Dang it.

I've only been out 2 days. Just put doe #2 in the freezer.

Congrats on Kansas buck. Appreciate you Kry.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #516
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Finally had a shooter show up on camera on the 29th but not since. Did have 3 bucks show up at one feeder i have not seen before. Movement was better but not by much. Hopefully this cold front gets them moving.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #517
Johnny_Dodson
Four Point

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback kind sir! Like I said. Very uneducated on Mule deer and the Panhandle in general. So every little bit of info helps.

This may be a stupid question but do you mean like feeding alfalfa bales or planting alfalfa?

If you can do a wheat or alfalfa field thatís great. You can make an alfalfa feeder out of a 55 gallon drums and by a bale of it. I never had any luck with Mule deer and feeders. Not saying you canít I just didnít .

Johnny_Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #518
coldgas
Ten Point

There were deer already on wheat when I walked in. Maybe it's a good sign. I'm ready to kill something!

Old 12-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #519
chuckw
Six Point

Hunt In: hall, cottle, motley, swisher, and hutchinson counties

if the wind doesnt lie down i sure dont expect to see much. a few muleys on the wheat now but thats it.
chuckw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 06:19 PM   #520
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Quote:

They will come to protien feeders see post 496. Build large pens to keep the pigs out and they will come. I started with soy corn mix and then introduced protien steadily to it. It took a little while but they did. I have multiple photos of both WT and MD at the feeder at the same time. Hell I have pics of MD sleeping under them and using them for shade. I have not had luck getting them on Alfalfa but I cannot find a good source either. Everything I have purchased is hay with some alfalfa mixed in.
myway is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 12:19 AM   #521
kry226
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldgas View Post
Sorry you didn't get a panhandle buck but congrats on the Kansas deer. I'm not seeing shooters either. Only seen 1 shooter and he refuses to come in bow range. Looking like I'll probably just kill some does this year. Can't eat horns any way!

Have a safe trip and a merry Christmas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of Texas View Post
I've only been out 2 days. Just put doe #2 in the freezer.

Congrats on Kansas buck. Appreciate you Kry.

Thanks, gentlemen. I love these Panhandle threads and love coming home for a couple weeks each season. Luckily, I have a wife who notices that I walk a little straighter when I get out of the deer stand, so she supports me tremendously.

I'm pretty sure I'm only a few years from retirement, and I'm finding that the older I get the more of a homeboy I'm becoming. Should transition from Germany by summer of 2019 and I'm certainly ready for deer season to not be a military operation for my family and me.

I'm really looking forward to the next few years when we should get back to seeing the Panhandle-quality deer we're used to. Y'all be safe and shoot straight.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #522
coldgas
Ten Point

I went out yesterday evening and it was the same old story. My shooter buck comes in, stays about 150 yards out, and then shows up at the blind when it's too dark to shoot. One of these days he will show up 5 minutes early....maybe.

Should've gone out this morning but I was lazy

Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #523
Top Of Texas
Eight Point

Had an opening yesterday and finally got out in the pasture.

Jethro, I got distracted also. 4 yoties for the day including this big old male.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #524
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I'm headed back up this weekend. Lease manager is reporting mature bucks are back on camera
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #525
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quail, Marilla

Good job Jeff.

Looks like he was starting to get the mange a bit on his feet and lower jaw. I've been talking about that with a friend of mine. 6 weeks ago my daughter and I killed 4 one afternoon, 3 of the 4 were in the beginning stages of mange. But the 4 I killed this weekend were from 6-7 miles away and none of them had any mange on them. Seems like the mange can be pretty spotty and localized sometimes. It hasn't been bad this year, but looks like it is starting to show back up a fair amount.
Jethro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #526
Top Of Texas
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Good job Jeff.

Looks like he was starting to get the mange a bit on his feet and lower jaw.
May just be blood or photo anomaly, because he was full coated and gorgeous. I haven't seen any serious mange in a good while, or should I say, Chupacabras, but after 4 good rainfall years, high prey species production, followed by high predator production, then mange should be expected to make a return in the next few years.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:14 PM   #527
JohnWayne86
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Hall, Collingsworth, Wheeler counties

Has anyone else seen the experimental survey for antler restrictions on mule deer in Panhandle Counties (Briscoe, Childress, Cottle, Floyd, Hall, and Motley)? I personally agree with it. We have tons of young bucks and does but, few mature deer.
JohnWayne86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #528
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWayne86 View Post
Has anyone else seen the experimental survey for antler restrictions on mule deer in Panhandle Counties (Briscoe, Childress, Cottle, Floyd, Hall, and Motley)? I personally agree with it. We have tons of young bucks and does but, few mature deer.
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=673518
myway is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #529
Treeshark
Four Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Collingsworth & Donley

I've been covered up in young bucks in Collingsworth Co. I see 6 or 8 at every siting. No does show up at all. I guess they are hassled too much by all the young bucks. I saw one mature 9 point today, prob 130" class. I passed. Hopefully the big boys will show soon! They are hitting the corn hard!
Treeshark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top