Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 12-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #51
Stick'n'String
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County

Y'all are getting me excited! I just bought my aunt and uncle's house. My uncle has a big barn/shop and I'm ready to get in there and start doing some woodworking. Unfortunately the shop is still full of his junk! So it'll be a while before it's clean and ready for me to take it over
Stick'n'String is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #52
guru27
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoses View Post
Any plywood storage suggestion?

How about scrap wood storage?
I haven’t done it yet, but I plan to build one of these in my shop.
Attached Images

guru27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #53
sendit
Ten Point

My shop is presently used primarily for welding and machining but will soon move more to wood working. Will be setting up a 20" planer, an 8"jointer and 3hp shaper across from the table saws soon in prep for some cabinet work.
sendit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2017, 11:20 PM   #54
WildThings
Eight Point

Hunt In: None at the moment

Quote:
Any plywood storage suggestion?

How about scrap wood storage?
I'm building this one as we speak Cutoff Cart
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:40 AM   #55
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
Nice. I like this one!
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #56
IAFFHunter18
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Sonora

Quote:
Thats pretty cool!!
IAFFHunter18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #57
WildThings
Eight Point

Quote:
Nice. I like this one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFFHunter18 View Post
Thats pretty cool!!
I should be done with it tomorrow afternoon after another couple coats of red paint. The cart is sitting on my assembly table waiting for the final assembly
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #58
mmoses
Ten Point

Wink

Quote:
I should be done with it tomorrow afternoon after another couple coats of red paint. The cart is sitting on my assembly table waiting for the final assembly
Have you finished this up yet?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #59
locolobo
Six Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

I've made some pretty neat stuff in the past with my wood working tools But>>>>> Can't even find my table saw or router now. Buried under a pile of BS. Been needin to get it out and either do sumtin wit it or get rid of it.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 10:40 PM   #60
WildThings
Eight Point

Quote:
Have you finished this up yet?
Yessir LOL but I need a bigger cart!!
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #61
WildThings
Eight Point

Also finished the cat that's in the upper left of the first picture
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #62
Festus
Four Point

Hunt In: Robertson County, North Central MO

My little shop. It's amazing how fast you can out grow your space. My advice is when you draw up the space that you think will you need, double it!
Attached Images

Festus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #63
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

Quote:
Yessir LOL but I need a bigger cart!!

I like that, great idea for storing a bunch of wood in a small place. I have scrap pieces piled up on random shelves right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #64
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

Finally had a little time to start on my work bench. I may have framed it a little heavy, but it shouldn’t go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2018, 12:05 AM   #65
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

Gutting and revamping mine now... it's always been mostly storage, but now that I have spent almost a solid year on the house (for the wife), it's my time.

First things first, I decided it was time to utilize some of the previously wasted attic space, so I installed a ladder... I don't recommend EVER attempting this by yourself :/

Name:  20171226_173958.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  96.6 KB

2nd project was the first of several work benches. I never had much luck with lighter weight, wimpy table or counter tops, so I decided THIS was was going to be a haus! The legs are all doubled 2x4 the underside of the lower shelf are 4x4. The top is 3 layers of 3/4" plywood with a 1/8" hardwood laminate top.

Heavy is good... this thing stays right where I planted it.

Name:  20180106_161838.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  73.6 KB

After some de-clutter, it was time to finally (after 20+ year) fill cracks and paint the floor. I did this mainly because the rough concrete could really only be swept with one of the typical "shop/patio brooms", which mainly served to fill the shop with dust. Ideally I wanted to be able to use a dust mop which does a better job getting everything and minimizes airborne dust.

Name:  20180109_190951.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  79.7 KB

Next, I added a home brew air cleaner. I did another post on it here:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=678571

Name:  20180113_204156.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  69.8 KB

Now I am on to building a usable miter-saw station, which will be connected to a vac/cyclone air cleaner. I have 8' to the left and 3.5' to the right

Name:  20180115_174136.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  86.2 KB

I'm also cheap, so I tend to recycle or re utilize any piece of scrap... and it beats a trip to the dump to get rid of. I have a decent stack of laminated wood flooring that I tore out for one of the wife's wish lists, so much of it it going on the walls for tool storage, magnet bars, shelves and drawer bottoms.

After the miter station, comes a glue up table. Several years ago, I scored a 5'x 40" sheet of fire-slate. I think the only reason it has hung around is that it is too heavy to get rid of, so I sacrificed a couple saw blades ripping it lengthwise down the middle to use for a couple counter tops. This stuff it HEAVY, solid and impervious to chemicals. It's the stuff they used as science lab counter tops you'd find in a high school lab...did I mention it's HEAVY?

' more to follow

Last edited by JFISHER; 01-16-2018 at 12:12 AM.
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #66
ghenson82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gatesville

Quote:
Also finished the cat that's in the upper left of the first picture
Holy cow!! That cat looks awesome! Great job with his eyes, he looks very lifelike.
ghenson82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #67
mmoses
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post
Gutting and revamping mine now... it's always been mostly storage, but now that I have spent almost a solid year on the house (for the wife), it's my time.

First things first, I decided it was time to utilize some of the previously wasted attic space, so I installed a ladder... I don't recommend EVER attempting this by yourself :/

Attachment 892500

2nd project was the first of several work benches. I never had much luck with lighter weight, wimpy table or counter tops, so I decided THIS was was going to be a haus! The legs are all doubled 2x4 the underside of the lower shelf are 4x4. The top is 3 layers of 3/4" plywood with a 1/8" hardwood laminate top.

Heavy is good... this thing stays right where I planted it.

Attachment 892502

After some de-clutter, it was time to finally (after 20+ year) fill cracks and paint the floor. I did this mainly because the rough concrete could really only be swept with one of the typical "shop/patio brooms", which mainly served to fill the shop with dust. Ideally I wanted to be able to use a dust mop which does a better job getting everything and minimizes airborne dust.

Attachment 892501

Next, I added a home brew air cleaner. I did another post on it here:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=678571

Attachment 892503

Now I am on to building a usable miter-saw station, which will be connected to a vac/cyclone air cleaner. I have 8' to the left and 3.5' to the right

Attachment 892504

I'm also cheap, so I tend to recycle or re utilize any piece of scrap... and it beats a trip to the dump to get rid of. I have a decent stack of laminated wood flooring that I tore out for one of the wife's wish lists, so much of it it going on the walls for tool storage, magnet bars, shelves and drawer bottoms.

After the miter station, comes a glue up table. Several years ago, I scored a 5'x 40" sheet of fire-slate. I think the only reason it has hung around is that it is too heavy to get rid of, so I sacrificed a couple saw blades ripping it lengthwise down the middle to use for a couple counter tops. This stuff it HEAVY, solid and impervious to chemicals. It's the stuff they used as science lab counter tops you'd find in a high school lab...did I mention it's HEAVY?

' more to follow

Looking good! Keep it up!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #68
Palmetto
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Old Ocean

I want to build a moveable wood working table, and was going to copy JFisher's top idea of the 3 pieces of plywood. I am struggling with the size though. I want a long table, and want to incorporate my table saw on one end. For the top, I was going to use use 3 full 4'x8' sheets, glued & screwed together. But now I am wondering if 4' is too wide? Should I trim them down to 3' wide?

How wide of a table do you guys like? This will be a moveable table (casters), that I can walk all the way around, and work from any side.
Palmetto is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 11:01 AM   #69
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto View Post
I want to build a moveable wood working table, and was going to copy JFisher's top idea of the 3 pieces of plywood. I am struggling with the size though. I want a long table, and want to incorporate my table saw on one end. For the top, I was going to use use 3 full 4'x8' sheets, glued & screwed together. But now I am wondering if 4' is too wide? Should I trim them down to 3' wide?

How wide of a table do you guys like? This will be a moveable table (casters), that I can walk all the way around, and work from any side.
I had about a 4' table at one point, mostly because I was too lazy to rip a couple sheets of plywood. I found it to be way too wide for me anyway. In the end I found 36" to be just right. I actually wanted my table to be about 60" long, but the location of the new attic ladder require a little shorter table as mine wasn't intended to be mobile.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #70
Palmetto
Ten Point

Cool, thanks! I want mine mobile so that I can push it out of the way when not in use, as my shop is not just for wood working.

Can you elaborate some on the 1/8" top? how did you attach it, and did you finish it with something?
Old 01-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #71
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Update:

Last night I worked on adding a vac port to the underside of the miter station.

I took the never used head from my shop vac and hot melt glued it to a piece of scrap pressed, bead board (same as underside of table). The unfinished side is pretty slick and should help funnel the dust down to the nozzle. Added another tube of caulk to seal it all up and it's pulling a god vacuum just from a dinky shop vac... can't wait to see how a larger version will work.

Name:  20180116_203553_renamed_17106.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  71.2 KB

Name:  20180116_203600_renamed_24788.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  20180116_203607_renamed_19010.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  20180116_205521_renamed_7063.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  72.7 KB
Old 01-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #72
WildThings
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghenson82 View Post
Holy cow!! That cat looks awesome! Great job with his eyes, he looks very lifelike.
Why thank you kindly!! The customer was very pleased
Old 01-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #73
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

All of you guys have nice shops.
I built my wood shop 25 years ago before cell phone cameras. So no pics of when it was clean. Too embarrassed to take a pic now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #74
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

Y'all are inspiring me to get my shop organized
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #75
RyanC26
Six Point

Hunt In: South East Texas

I have an old Sears table saw. I need to change out the blade. The fence on this saw is terrible. The casters are shot as well. Does anyone have mods or updates for a table saws? I have to do something with it, the fence is driving me crazy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
RyanC26 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #76
macguyverberry
Four Point

Hunt In: Live Oak and Lavaca County

Quote:
You sir have some nice wood
I knew there was something wrong with you....
macguyverberry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #77
mmoses
Ten Point

Quote:

I currently have a 4' table that i use as an outfeed table/assembly table etc. I like it. But i have the room though.

It's on my list to redo, and I am going back with a 4' table.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #78
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC26 View Post
I have an old Sears table saw. I need to change out the blade. The fence on this saw is terrible. The casters are shot as well. Does anyone have mods or updates for a table saws? I have to do something with it, the fence is driving me crazy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 PM   #79
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Quote:
Cool, thanks! I want mine mobile so that I can push it out of the way when not in use, as my shop is not just for wood working.

Can you elaborate some on the 1/8" top? how did you attach it, and did you finish it with something?
The top is basically thin cabinet grade plywood. Attached only with titebond wood glue and clamps. I gave it a light 200 sanding, then rubbed in boiled lindseed oil.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #80
RyanC26
Six Point

Hunt In: South East Texas

Quote:
Any suggestions?
RyanC26 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #81
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC26 View Post
Any suggestions?
I was watching this guys mod last night. He made a pretty slick fence using an aluminum "T track", and increased his cutting surface by simply mounting a piece of MDF to the top, raise the blade trough the new "top", route or dado in some guides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZkkmuBHT4U

I plan to "hack" mine in a similar fashion this weekend. It's a cheap, Harbor Freight saw. Saw gets the job done now that I swapped out the blade with a Diablo blade, but needs a larger top surface and a fence that doesn' make me want to throw across the room.

I ordered a track from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Diablo-10-Inc...able+saw+blade

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by JFISHER; 01-19-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #82
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Made a little more progress on the miter station and the fire-slate counter top.

Built a fence and aligned/flushed with the saw fence. Will add T-track and measuring later in the week.

Built the upper cabinets and cut out the drawer faces. Tomorrows list is, lower cabinet doors, and drawers for the upper.

Not much to the slate table, wasn't near the same size as the mdf counter top and it's an inch thick, so I bordered it with a 1x6.

Name:  20180120_211923.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  20180120_211911.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  20180120_211953.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  20180120_211934.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  56.5 KB
Old 01-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #83
Rick
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction

Here is a miter saw table the I built a few weeks ago. I use my shop for wood working, storage, metal working, and I park my truck in it when I don't have a project going on. So I don't have room for a lot of stationary tools. I was tired of setting up stands to support the ends of boards when cutting on the miter saw and not being able to have a stop set up for repetitive cuts. I saw something similar online and modified for my needs. I set it on a couple of sawhorses when using and hang on the wall when not in use. The pocket where the saw goes is very tight and when placed in it, it is the same each time. I thought about adding a fence, but have not needed it up to this point, but would be easy to add one if I decide to. May not be the prettiest, but it was made out of a half sheet of 3/4 plywood, so it is cheap and very functional

I am in process of building a movable table for my lathe. I will post it when done.

Name:  image4f.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  image1f.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  image2f.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  image3.JPG
Views: 619
Size:  170.4 KB

Name:  image5f.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  84.0 KB
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #84
JFISHER
Pope & Young

started on the crappy table saw mod. I will mention, a Diablo blade is a 1000% upgrade on this sucker.

Name:  smaller.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  82.4 KB
Old 01-29-2018, 07:34 AM   #85
Palmetto
Ten Point

Started on my wife's work table this weekend. For the last few years we have been working off plywood screwed to sawhorses, and while it makes a good table, you cant move it out of the way.

I decided to go 4x8 for the top. The frame is built to allow a 3" lip all the way around. It will have 4 pull out drawers, and the bottom will be where she stores all her stock, or whatever else she wants to put down there.

So far, she is HAPPY!
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2018, 10:55 PM   #86
WildThings
Eight Point

Looking nice Palmetto!
Old 01-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #87
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Just about finished with the miter station.

Name:  20180125_180324 (450 x 600).jpg
Views: 481
Size:  47.8 KB

Setup the shop vac with a dust separator and upgraded hose. Built a handy platform the keep the bucket and vac together.

Name:  20180126_172808.jpg
Size:  87.4 KB

Progress on the crappy table saw upgrade. Made a new handle for the blade height adjustment, since I'd broken the other on off. Added the "T track" and built a solid, accurate locking fence.

Name:  20180129_203731.jpg
Size:  79.0 KB

and I seriously don't know why my pics keep rotating on upload

Last edited by JFISHER; 01-30-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #88
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

JFISHER, that last picture made me
There are some things that would be better constructed from steel, but woodworkers will ALWAYS try to make it out of wood, first.

I'm guilty of this as well!
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #89
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
JFISHER, that last picture made me
There are some things that would be better constructed from steel, but woodworkers will ALWAYS try to make it out of wood, first.

I'm guilty of this as well!
Lol, closest thing I have to metal working tools is a Dremel and a soldering iron
Old 01-31-2018, 08:57 PM   #90
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Redesigned/Rebuilt the air cleaner. Now has filters on both sides and closer to the 2 main dust producers, the table and miter saws. and will likely do a better job recirculating the air this summer.

Name:  20180131_202910 (450 x 600).jpg
Views: 434
Size:  56.2 KB
Old 01-31-2018, 11:38 PM   #91
WildThings
Eight Point

Quote:
LOL I want that sign!!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:17 AM   #92
Palmetto
Ten Point

All drawers finished, and blocked.
Side panels attached.
1st layer of top screwed down.

I'm liking this thing!!! I could pick one end up by hand pretty easily prior to putting that first sheet of 3/4 on. Man what a difference that stuff makes! This dude is fixing to get stout as I start layering the next 2 sheets!
Attached Images

Last edited by Palmetto; 02-01-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #93
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Quote:
Side panels attached.

I'm liking this thing!!! I could pick one end up by hand pretty easily prior to putting that first sheet of 3/4 on. Man what a difference that stuff makes! This dude is fixing to get stout as I start layering the next 2 sheets!
Consider using MDF for the top sheet. It's much smoother, and makes a nice work surface.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #94
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Quote:
Consider using MDF for the top sheet. It's much smoother, and makes a nice work surface.
Especially with a couple light coats of boiled linseed oil.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #95
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Quote:
Side panels attached.

Nice work
Old 02-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #96
Palmetto
Ten Point

I already bought a 1/4" sheet of birch that I am going to glue down. Hope it turns out good.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #97
mmoses
Ten Point

Quote:
I already bought a 1/4" sheet of birch that I am going to glue down. Hope it turns out good.
I agree with Kevin on the MDF.

Other thing, I wouldnt glue it down. That way you can replace it if it gets messed up.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #98
Palmetto
Ten Point

These are some bad mother scrunchers right here.....How did I ever function without an impact driver & these screws?

Old 02-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #99
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Quote:
I agree with Kevin on the MDF.

Other thing, I wouldnt glue it down. That way you can replace it if it gets messed up.
Sometimes I think we share a brain!

Quote:
These are some bad mother scrunchers right here.....How did I ever function without an impact driver & these screws?

My world changed when I got an impact driver, and I thought it couldn't get any better.

UNTIL I started using those screws, with it!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #100
mmoses
Ten Point

Quote:
Sometimes I think we share a brain!