Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #151
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Someone else started a post requesting the hunting regs: Here is a link to the hunting regs for 17-18... Pretty much the same as last year

https://www.nps.gov/amis/planyourvis...k-2017-508.pdf

Just an FYI when I searched the NPS Amistad website there is an alert that starting on Oct 1 park office will closed on Sundays and Mondays. Here is a link to it. For those traveling in from out of town be aware:

https://www.nps.gov/amis/planyourvisit/hunting.htm

Last edited by Pedernal; 10-22-2017 at 08:18 PM..
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2017, 11:03 PM   #152
Efren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to get my permit via email
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2017, 11:24 PM   #153
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efren View Post
Does anyone know about how far area four is from the boat ramp? Is it possible to paddle a kayak to there?
Quote:
Are the vehicle parking spots particularly safe at the entrances to the hunting grounds? Is there parking for hunters in the hunting land entrances? And obviously don't leave anything inside that would tempt anyone, of course.
It's a good paddle, 4 or 5 miles if I had to guess but I've seen it done. What would be even better would be camp/launch at 277N and paddle to the back side of area 5 and let the other walk-in hunters drive the animals back to you after you snuck in quietly on the kayak.

I've never had an issue leaving the truck at the parking areas, but I have heard of a couple break ins.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2017, 05:39 PM   #154
Efren
Ten Point

Do you guys walk with your bow in hand and an arrow knocked or is it in your pack? My hike is gong to be about two miles.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #155
justletmein
Ten Point

Two miles? Where you going? LOL...

I walk the entire way with everything put away, usually bow on sling. I'll typically break it out and knock an arrow as I'm sneaking quietly into my target area. I'll also typically wear an orange hat, there are some real yahoos out there sometimes.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:36 PM   #156
Efren
Ten Point

Is two miles too far/not far enough? My plan is to go to area 5 and follow the lake shore to a place that looks promising. I've never done this before so any tips would be appreciated.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #157
Efren
Ten Point

Default Target area

This is what I was thinking. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #158
RifleBowPistol
Six Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Hill Country, Panhandle

If you are after mouflon, that cut which goes up into a draw or canyon, is where I have seen the biggest rams. When I went out there, I used to most of the rams on the other side of the place, in large herds. Kind of hard to pick one out of a group of 80. I was following that canyon, that cut goes up into, one time and found a group of about five huge rams together down in the bottom. The walls are very steel, very close to straight up and down and probably 80 ft. deep or so. It's been a long time. I have only been back in that area twice.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #159
justletmein
Ten Point

Oh I dunno it seems like a long ways but at the same time if you're willing to go where others aren't then that could easily equal success. I do believe there are some large easy to walk trails in area 5, might be visible on Google Earth so be careful you don't spend all day hiking through the sticks only to have other hunters pop up easily nearby.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #160
RifleBowPistol
Six Point

So are the mouflon back in that place on a regular basis? I know they left many years ago, after they left, I never saw another one. I have been told they came back, when the lake level started coming back up. But I have not heard what the numbers are like. I know when I hunted there years ago, before they left the area, I would see herds of 40 to probably 80 at a time. Then occasionally a small group of 8 to 15 animals, that seemed to happen, after they had been hunted hard and pushed by hunters chasing them.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:15 PM   #161
Efren
Ten Point

That spot is where I plan to go, but if I happen to run into a heavily used trail, then I will set up camp there. I might take a few game cams and set them up and hope they don't get stolen. I honestly don't have a target animal, I'm just hoping to be able to get a shot at something.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:40 PM   #162
RifleBowPistol
Six Point

Quote:
That spot is where I plan to go, but if I happen to run into a heavily used trail, then I will set up camp there. I might take a few game cams and set them up and hope they don't get stolen. I honestly don't have a target animal, I'm just hoping to be able to get a shot at something.
I would not worry, about a game camera. The animals don't follow the same trails everyday at the same time of the day. The with the hunters moving around, that pushes the animals to different areas, or scaring them to different areas.
The few small trees out there, a game camera would stand out like a street sign. I don't think it would last long, before someone found it and had a new camera.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:56 PM   #163
Efren
Ten Point

^^ Thanks for the game cam tip. Very good points.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #164
Efren
Ten Point

Ttt
Old 10-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #165
texaswoods5
Eight Point

Hunt In: hays, or where ever i can

If the lake level is up i think it would be better to follow the south fence trail back and cut over. How bad has the hunting pressure been lately?
texaswoods5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #166
Efren
Ten Point

Not sure. I haven’t seen any reports. This will be my first time.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #167
yanta61
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee & Karnes county

Quote:
Not sure. I havenít seen any reports. This will be my first time.
shows 25' low but i think that's still higher than the last few years...
yanta61 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #168
justletmein
Ten Point

It was 1091 when I checked a few days ago, think full is something like 1117??? Don't quote me on that. It was full when I first started hunting out there 8 or 9 years ago, huge pita. Few years back when it was in the 1060's or 1070's (I don't remember) was pretty easy hunting for me, deer were very predictable that year. I wish it would drop low enough to get that Spur 454 boat ramp open again that was my favorite right outside the campground.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #169
VictorG830
Six Point

Hunt In: RJ Ranch

Quote:
This is what I was thinking. Any thoughts?

That spots a good ways in but in reality itís not that big an area .... I get there walk ALL THE WAY to the back fairly quickly before sun up .! Just gotta know how to navigate the trails .! that spot your trying to get too you gotta cross a lot of little washes small canyons to get to it thatís what will get you , all that up and down .!!! Hardest parts gonna be carrying out your kill ,good luck .!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VictorG830 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #170
Efren
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorG830 View Post
That spots a good ways in but in reality itís not that big an area .... I get there walk ALL THE WAY to the back fairly quickly before sun up .! Just gotta know how to navigate the trails .! that spot your trying to get too you gotta cross a lot of little washes small canyons to get to it thatís what will get you , all that up and down .!!! Hardest parts gonna be carrying out your kill ,good luck .!!!!

Well heck!! I was planning to walk the shore since I figured most of it would be level. I'm going to go walk the place Sunday afternoon and come up with a walk in plan. How do you guys find your route before the sun comes up?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #171
RGV Hunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can go legally

Quote:
Well heck!! I was planning to walk the shore since I figured most of it would be level. I'm going to go walk the place Sunday afternoon and come up with a walk in plan. How do you guys find your route before the sun comes up?
If you walk the shore you will not see anything but what is in front of you. The shoreline is much lower than the landscape. I would glass. If you see anything then get down wind and try to get within 60 yards. If you see them feeding your way then hunker down and wait till they come to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #172
VictorG830
Six Point

Quote:
I use my green and red torch lights when it's cloudy but if it's a clear night you can navigate by the light of the moon just use the highway as an anchor point to know more or less where your at.!!
Old 10-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #173
RifleBowPistol
Six Point

Quote:
The shore line in that area, there is a fairly high drop off down to the water, mainly just rocks no grass or other vegetation, except for on top, where it's mild rolling hills. Down along the water, it was just a rocky beach, maybe some dirt.

As for navigating in the dark, you need to have a good sense of direction, then follow the trails. The rocks are all white out there and they reflect the moon light. The trails light up, like dimly lit roads. I always carry a flashlight, but have never used it at night, except for the time I found a huge porcupine in a small tree. I walked up to it, thought it was maybe a eagle's nest, but thought it was a good bit too low to the ground, but about the right size. Eventually I realized it was moving and then making some strange sounds. So I put a light on it, still could not figure out what the hell it was. The I jabbed it with my bow, it was squishy. Then I really was confused. It turned out to be a huge porcupine curled up in a small persimmons tree. That was strange finding in the dark, it made some kind of growling sounds, I think it was saying, leave me the hell alone, I am trying to sleep. I found two other large porcupines, in hunt area number 5, probably one of them was the one I woke up, before sun up.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:33 AM   #174
Brokegrunt08
Nubbin' Buck

I have an area picked out for my hunt. Google maps shows pretty thick cover. Leading towards a wash down to water. Looking to set up a blind. Any blind hunters?
Brokegrunt08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 10:50 AM   #175
VictorG830
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokegrunt08 View Post
I have an area picked out for my hunt. Google maps shows pretty thick cover. Leading towards a wash down to water. Looking to set up a blind. Any blind hunters?

Iíve never used a blind out there , but there is a couple replies on here about them .!

Old 11-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #176
Efren
Ten Point

Well, I talked to a fellow bow hunter and he gave me good tips on where he used to hunt in area 2 a few years ago. Only about half mile to mile hike. Anyone have any experience there?
Old 11-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #177
justletmein
Ten Point

Its time for a new bow. Skinned the back of a buck last night after he ducked. My buddy sitting 100 yards away said HE jumped when he heard me shoot. I'm shooting a 2009 Bowtech Admiral, he's shooting a 2008 Bowtech Guardian. We took some shots in camp and his is definitely quieter.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #178
EliteZ28Bow
Six Point

Increase the poundage and make it faster. Less reaction time.
EliteZ28Bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #179
gemini2759
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hither and yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Its time for a new bow. Skinned the back of a buck last night after he ducked. My buddy sitting 100 yards away said HE jumped when he heard me shoot. I'm shooting a 2009 Bowtech Admiral, he's shooting a 2008 Bowtech Guardian. We took some shots in camp and his is definitely quieter.
Heavier arrow makes it quieter
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2017, 12:04 AM   #180
Brokegrunt08
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
There may be a couple reasons why your bow is not quiet as it is supposed to be. Upping your draw weight will help. Also, if you get a stiffer spined arrows. That will reduce the flex of arrow, improve accuracy, and it will carry the energy and penetrate more. Reason being, the more energy transferred onto arrow when you release bow string, the less that stays on bow and less vibration and sound coming from bow itself.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #181
justletmein
Ten Point

Hmmm thanks guys appreciate the advice. It's maxed out 70 lb limbs so can't increase speed but I could probably up the arrow weight. I'll do some testing before dumping a bunch of money into it.

We all saw deer last night, no shots presented. Today is nice and cloudy so I'm hoping for more movement. At least it's not 90 degrees.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:49 PM   #182
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hmmm thanks guys appreciate the advice. It's maxed out 70 lb limbs so can't increase speed but I could probably up the arrow weight. I'll do some testing before dumping a bunch of money into it.

We all saw deer last night, no shots presented. Today is nice and cloudy so I'm hoping for more movement. At least it's not 90 degrees.
Are you hunting in area 4??

Last edited by Pedernal; 11-03-2017 at 02:55 PM..
Old 11-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #183
justletmein
Ten Point

I'm wanting to hunt 2 but we may go to 4 tonight, everybody is napping right now lol so I'll wake them up and see what the consensus is.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #184
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Dang!! Was that a big buck?? And was it already in "alert mode" before you took the shot. I heard a loud bang all the way to Del Rio surely it was not your bow

Quote:
I'm wanting to hunt 2 but we may go to 4 tonight, everybody is napping right now lol so I'll wake them up and see what the consensus is.
Cool... It's my first day off and I will be probably hunting in one tonight and tomorrow morning. Is there much deer movement with the moon as bright as it has been? Good luck to you fellas!!
Old 11-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #185
VictorG830
Six Point

Weíre planning on going on Sunday morning to 5 and hunting bout other spot Saturday morning good luck yíall.!!!!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #186
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Dang!! Was that a big buck?? And was it already in "alert mode" before you took the shot. I heard a loud bang all the way to Del Rio surely it was not your bow

Cool... It's my first day off and I will be probably hunting in one tonight and tomorrow morning. Is there much deer movement with the moon as bright as it has been? Good luck to you fellas!!
Lmao probably was my bow!

Haven't been moving too much really, the one I saw tonight was spooked into me from some guys walking around the ridge about 5 o'clock.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:10 PM   #187
VictorG830
Six Point

Well change of plans my buddy and I will be out in 5 tomorrow morning , good luck guys..!!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #188
hef187
Four Point

Hunt In: Centerville, Falfurrias, Del Rio, & Concan

Heading out to the inlaws for Thanksgiving. Fishing on the 22nd, and Mouflon hunting with a family friend 24/25th. Can't freaking wait
hef187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2017, 10:50 PM   #189
RGV Hunter
Four Point

Please post if you see muflon. The last time I went I didnt see any. I really dont want to male the 6 hour trip again if they are not in there.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #190
Efren
Ten Point

Just got my permit through the mail! Can't wait for next week!
Old 11-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #191
VictorG830
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV Hunter View Post
Please post if you see muflon. The last time I went I didnt see any. I really dont want to male the 6 hour trip again if they are not in there.

Well me and my Buddy went out this morning and saw not one Muflon in or off the area .!! This is the third trip out there this year with the same results of no luck , we combed the whole area and still nothing maybe they are staying in San Pedro flats since it is still super green looks like spring out there.!!!

Old 11-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #192
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV Hunter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorG830 View Post
Well me and my Buddy went out this morning and saw not one Muflon in or off the area .!! This is the third trip out there this year with the same results of no luck , we combed the whole area and still nothing maybe they are staying in San Pedro flats since it is still super green looks like spring out there.!!!

There were hundreds of them running around in area 5 just prior to season.... They are already run off by hunters and won't come back until the green graze is gone on the San Pedro side as you mention above.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #193
RGV Hunter
Four Point

thanks for the heads up. I will wait till December to go out there then. Pedernal, you are right, last year there were hundreds out there.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #194
Brokegrunt08
Nubbin' Buck

how is area 2looking like y’all? We are going to be there Friday And super excited.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #195
hef187
Four Point

Hunt In: Centerville, Falfurrias, Del Rio, & Concan

My family friend guides trips on a property that backs up to the lake. He is saying everything is really green right now, and he's been seeing them closer to the lake.
hef187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #196
gemini2759
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hither and yonder

Quote:
how is area 2looking like yíall? We are going to be there Friday And super excited.
I'm planning on that weekend too.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2017, 11:47 PM   #197
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
how is area 2looking like yíall? We are going to be there Friday And super excited.
Really overgrown and tough to walk in some places.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:49 AM   #198
Brokegrunt08
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2759 View Post
I'm planning on that weekend too.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Awesome!! Hopefully we see you out there!
Old 11-05-2017, 12:52 AM   #199
Brokegrunt08
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Really overgrown and tough to walk in some places.
Gonna bE tough seeing anything through the brush. I guess in my case itíll help with a blind. I guess itíll help with quality forage. Yíall know what the deer are feeding on in the area?
Old 11-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #200
Paglu
Nubbin' Buck

I might be interested also. My family guides trips to such places to the lake. I think everything is really very beautiful there!
Paglu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top