Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 07-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #101
RGV Hunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can go legally

[quote=Deers & Beers;11775351]There really are hardly any aoudad out there at all. I've heard of 2 being taken in the past 7-8 years.

I got mine. Very blessed. This was on two different hunts.

Name:  20160330_115927.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0655.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  77.8 KB
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #102
gemini2759
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hither and yonder

Couple of questions. Maybe I missed them online and in this thread. Is hunter orange required? Do you need archery endorsement on hunting license during October? Thanks.
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #103
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2759 View Post
Couple of questions. Maybe I missed them online and in this thread. Is hunter orange required? Do you need archery endorsement on hunting license during October? Thanks.
No, but I wear orange anyway walking in and out because there's some first class idiots out there.
Yes
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 10:59 PM   #104
VictorG830
Six Point

Hunt In: RJ Ranch

So who's going out there opening weekend .?? It's been raining for the last 3 nights and forcast still calls for more rain ,lake level is going up steadily ... Good luck Y'all..!!!!!
VictorG830 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #105
VictorG830
Six Point

Hunt In: RJ Ranch

No post or updates of anything well there it is, no more animals are left out there . guess there's no point for any hunters to come down here and try their luck ........!!!!!
VictorG830 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 01:34 AM   #106
justletmein
Ten Point

lol... well I don't normally start going down there til mid-November. Too darn hot right now and always end up covered in spiders and webs.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:46 AM   #107
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorG830 View Post
So who's going out there opening weekend .?? It's been raining for the last 3 nights and forcast still calls for more rain ,lake level is going up steadily ... Good luck Y'all..!!!!!
I saw 5 trucks out by area 5 Saturday evening. I am assuming it's going to be busy with hunters trying to get in there prior to peeps running the sheep all spooky! I went out yesterday morning and got intermittent rain for about 5 hours and never saw a hint of deer movement. I think you are correct no need for anybody to come out. I will sound the alarm at the first sight deer have returned, I promise
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #108
gemini2759
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
lol... well I don't normally start going down there til mid-November. Too darn hot right now and always end up covered in spiders and webs.
Pm sent
Old 10-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #109
Saddle Tramp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Most Public some private

When are thinking of going? I am in Rockport. I will have to tent camp money is tight after the storm. I have been there before middle of the week is best.
Saddle Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #110
gemini2759
Eight Point

Need a break from work. Heading up Thursday pm to hunt Friday and saturday. It'll be my first time there.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #111
travisd78
Nubbin' Buck

Just got back from a weekend hunting Amistad. Had a great time with my nephew and saw a lot of deer. Nothing presented a shot. Fair warning to anyone going out there, the ticks are really bad. Good luck hunting guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
travisd78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #112
Brokegrunt08
Nubbin' Buck

Howdy y'all,
I'm headed out to Amistad for the first time nov 10-12. I see some of y'all are planning around those dates. This feed has helped me look into different areas to hunt. 4 is out of the question since I don't have a boat. I been looking at google maps and I'm down to 3 areas; 1, 2, and 5? Any suggestions on camp? Which campgrounds are better?

Thanks y'all in advance.
Brokegrunt08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #113
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokegrunt08 View Post
Howdy y'all,
I'm headed out to Amistad for the first time nov 10-12. I see some of y'all are planning around those dates. This feed has helped me look into different areas to hunt. 4 is out of the question since I don't have a boat. I been looking at google maps and I'm down to 3 areas; 1, 2, and 5? Any suggestions on camp? Which campgrounds are better?

Thanks y'all in advance.
"Rock quarry" camp ground is set up as a separate area to camp in and is right next to area 1 & 3... You could walk to either from camp. Area 2 is a few minutes away and just up the road...
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #114
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Howdy y'all,

Thanks y'all in advance.
If I were to hunt 5 I'd camp at 277N and you can fish there at night as well. Area 2 I like Spur 406, but it's a good drive to get over to 2 from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
"Rock quarry" camp ground is set up as a separate area to camp in and is right next to area 1 & 3... You could walk to either from camp. Area 2 is a few minutes away and just up the road...
You have to reserve that in advance right? We should do a group hunt and reserve that site and split the bill. It would be cool to get to know everyone in person.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #115
Brokegrunt08
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Thanks for the info I would definitely be looking forward to checking those areas out.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #116
Brokegrunt08
Nubbin' Buck

[quote=justletmein;12805392]If I were to hunt 5 I'd camp at 277N and you can fish there at night as well. Area 2 I like Spur 406, but it's a good drive to get over to 2 from there.

This sounds like a great idea. It'll be the first tome wifey comes out hunting, camping, and fishing. It'll be her first time outdoors so she's excited. I'm more excited that she wants to be a part of it. So thanks for the info y'all success or not it'll be a great experience.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #117
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
This sounds like a great idea. It'll be the first tome wifey comes out hunting, camping, and fishing. It'll be her first time outdoors so she's excited. I'm more excited that she wants to be a part of it. So thanks for the info y'all success or not it'll be a great experience.
If that's the case I'd recommend Area 1, easier walking trails and you can slide in there to some good spots without a lot of walking. I don't go in October because I'm always covered in spiders by the time I get anywhere LOL. There are restrooms in the camp areas, bring some bug spray as wasps usually find their way in to shelter for the winter. I've never had an issue with them but my wife doesn't like them too much so just a heads up. Also the Buffalo Wings & Rings in Del Rio is good eats. If she gets bored of the hunting she can drop you off and go on a Rock Art tour, pretty cool old native american cave paintings and such.

By the way, if you go in November or December I typically have my wife with me as well and she typically makes me grill ribs in camp for dinner so feel free to stop by for some grub.

Last edited by justletmein; 10-09-2017 at 10:28 PM..
Old 10-09-2017, 10:27 PM   #118
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Boerne and anywhere else I can find

Quote:
Definitely go during the week, had several hunts ruined last year due to hunters roaming around aimlessly in area 4. Some guys in Doe season were trying to drive Aoudad like moufloun, ran all the deer to the next county.

I like to bring the boat and hit the back sides of 5 and sneak in, then let the hunters run everything to me as they walk in.

It's gonna be hard this year with all the rain, deer will be less predictable and more scattered. 2 years ago was easy pickings.

To answer your question OP, there are plenty of deer but they are not easy to get shots on.

I'll have a couple of weeks in November and early December I'll be doing middle of the week trips alone with the boat if anyone wants to come along.

Iím in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MySRT8U is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #119
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySRT8U View Post
Iím in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If my schedule holds I'm still good for that, they're trying to switch me out to be a normal human being and I'm resisting as long as I can. Keep in touch, I'll definitely be making trips in December, but we have an Elk hunt and a couple drawn deer hunts the kids got as well so rather than planning ahead I'm kind of "filling the gaps" with my Amistad trips.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:05 PM   #120
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorG830 View Post
No post or updates of anything well there it is, no more animals are left out there . guess there's no point for any hunters to come down here and try their luck ........!!!!!
Yup...there aren't any animals left. Don't bother coming!
Bowhuntamistad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #121
Brokegrunt08
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
If that's the case I'd recommend Area 1, easier walking trails and you can slide in there to some good spots without a lot of walking. I don't go in October because I'm always covered in spiders by the time I get anywhere LOL. There are restrooms in the camp areas, bring some bug spray as wasps usually find their way in to shelter for the winter. I've never had an issue with them but my wife doesn't like them too much so just a heads up. Also the Buffalo Wings & Rings in Del Rio is good eats. If she gets bored of the hunting she can drop you off and go on a Rock Art tour, pretty cool old native american cave paintings and such.

By the way, if you go in November or December I typically have my wife with me as well and she typically makes me grill ribs in camp for dinner so feel free to stop by for some grub.
Too easy brotha. I'll shoot you a message with my info and hit me up. Therefor, we can get together. Thank you once again for more info on the area.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:50 PM   #122
gemini2759
Eight Point

Name:  IMG_20171012_191113706_HDR.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  53.7 KB

Sure is pretty up here. I'll be hunting tomorrow as soon as I get my permit. Jumped a nice little buck in this area I wanna try. Sign everywhere.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #123
Sideler
Ten Point

Quote:
Attachment 877159

Sure is pretty up here. I'll be hunting tomorrow as soon as I get my permit. Jumped a nice little buck in this area I wanna try. Sign everywhere.

Good luck. Post some more pictures.
Sideler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #124
justletmein
Ten Point

Man now I'm hating myself for not planning a trip until November. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #125
gemini2759
Eight Point

Name:  IMG_20171013_083657627_HDR.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  76.1 KB

Doe and a fawn so far.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #126
gemini2759
Eight Point

Name:  IMG_20171013_083733275.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  54.8 KB

Sitting on a draw. Lots of sign.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #127
Sideler
Ten Point

It looks really green.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sideler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #128
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Goodluck!
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #129
gemini2759
Eight Point

Buck in bow range this morning. He busted me after I drew back. No shot after that. My grunt tube at least works. He came in out of nowhere after three calming grunts.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #130
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Buck in bow range this morning. He busted me after I drew back. No shot after that. My grunt tube at least works. He came in out of nowhere after three calming grunts.
Nice! I'm always afraid to grunt, figure I'd scare them all off.

If I could tell you how many times I've been busted drawing out there you'd be amazed. LOL
Old 10-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #131
gemini2759
Eight Point

Fun hunt. Got busted again this am, but at least I found a good area with animals and no other hunters. Next trip I'm bringing a ground blind or some type of camo screen. Good luck to all public land hunters.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #132
Efren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

I'm interested in going in November as well. Keep us posted
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #133
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Fun hunt. Got busted again this am, but at least I found a good area with animals and no other hunters. Next trip I'm bringing a ground blind or some type of camo screen. Good luck to all public land hunters.
The holy grail!

So I've tried ground blinds out there, didn't work out too well those deer spot it immediately and way far out. I will typically find a natural little "hole in the brush" with a shooting lane out to a trail. Amistad can be tricky though, there's never a perfect setup.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #134
bowhunt3
Eight Point

Hunt In: Medina County, Bandera County

I've had no luck with Pop ups, I started using a 10' 2x4 x4 piece of fence that I had left over. All i do is Stuff weeds, grass old dry limbs thru the fence seems to work great once backed into brush. Good luck
bowhunt3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #135
Brokegrunt08
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
This is getting exciting!! We gonna be there nov 10-12 for sure. Days are put in and hotel is reserved. Hope to see some of y'all there!
Old 10-18-2017, 05:42 AM   #136
bowhunt3
Eight Point

Hunt In: Medina County, Bandera County

we will be there Oct. 25TH for a few days.
bowhunt3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 05:47 AM   #137
justletmein
Ten Point

Right now it's looking like I've got the week of Oct 30-Nov 5 off. I'm about 99% sure I'll be at Amistad for a good portion of that if anybody wants to get together, if nothing else meet you at Buffalo Wings & Rings for a few beers. I owe Pedernal lunch at some point too. Wife will probably meet me there later in the week and hunt but I got room for 4 total on the boat.

Last edited by justletmein; 10-18-2017 at 06:05 AM..
Old 10-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #138
Efren
Ten Point

What hotel is the closest and what are the rates?
Old 10-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #139
gemini2759
Eight Point

I stayed at Quality Inn in Del Rio. About $50 per night. King suite. Close to the hunting areas.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #140
Efren
Ten Point

That's a pretty good deal
Old 10-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #141
Brokegrunt08
Nubbin' Buck

I just booked the studio 6 for 45 a night. It had lots of good reviews. Located in town from what I could see on map.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #142
justletmein
Ten Point

I just setup camp near the hunt areas, $4/night for camp spot. We have a few beers while watching a roaring fire all evening and grilling food over hot Huisache coals. Beats any hotel experience.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 PM   #143
Efren
Ten Point

Dang! Tough choice for me next month! Cozy(ish) hotel or camp with a fire pit?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:54 PM   #144
Brokegrunt08
Nubbin' Buck

Oh man that sounds like the way to go. My only complication is wife’s first time hunt and she don’t like camping. That was her only condition. Haha
Old 10-20-2017, 12:13 AM   #145
Ruttin&Struttin
Four Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

x2 on the Studio 6. Stayed there a couple times. I like a shower too much to camp wben it's hot. Last couple times I was down there it was in the 80s all day. Watch out for snakes. As fkr blinds I find a natural blind or my ghost blind. Gokd luck all.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #146
Efren
Ten Point

Just go at my vacation approved. I'll be heading down there November 12th to scout, then going to hunt the 13th and 14th. Anyone gonna be there for those days?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #147
Efren
Ten Point

Does anyone know about how far area four is from the boat ramp? Is it possible to paddle a kayak to there?

Last edited by Efren; 10-21-2017 at 08:50 AM..
Old 10-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #148
Efren
Ten Point

Are the vehicle parking spots particularly safe at the entrances to the hunting grounds? Is there parking for hunters in the hunting land entrances? And obviously don't leave anything inside that would tempt anyone, of course.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #149
Efren
Ten Point

Ttt
Old 10-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #150
RifleBowPistol
Six Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Hill Country, Panhandle

I don't know what it's like lately, but years ago, the parking areas seemed pretty safe. But it has been quite a while since I was last out there. I always tried to be safe and keep things out of sight, but I knew another guy that hunted out there a lot, he kept his bike in the back of his Ranger all the time. I don't know of anyone ever stealing his bike.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top