Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #151
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Guys

Just wanted to pass along some good info where it comes to hunting TBR. DO NOT HUNT NICE SHADY WOODED AREAS. You wont see a thing in there during daylight hours, period.

Find water sources and set-up on thicker wooded areas close to them in the evening. These are "Holding" zones for deer waiting for sun to go down before they show themselves just before dark. Be ready as I've watched several times just in past few day where they come out quick to water and leave even much quicker.

2nd tip:

For "Interior" areas of a given hunting unit find the deer highways. (travel routes) I can promise you that if you find a "Transition" zone where the more "wooded" areas meet a very thick brush zone (Bedding area) that you will almost always find a trail witthin 10yds of where the zones merge. follow these main routes and locate where they off-shoot into individual bedding areas. These are good spots to catch deer returning from water soures and the multitude of AG fields around TBR ....ESPECIALLY around unit 4 that boarders the Boys Ranch road area.
SanAngeloBowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #152
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

3RD TIP:

Don't overlook Unit 6. This area is accessed via the main park entrance off of Hwy 67 at the old gas station near the Twin Buttes them selvs. follow road into main park area . When you see the boat ramp and campsites turn right (west) and follow the roads closest to the FENCELINE to the interior of the unit.

Now here the important part. DO NOT take a 2wd vehicle out there, period. you MUST have 4wd vehicle that you don't mind trashing OR take a 4wheeler. It is loose rocky sometimes steep and overgrown tree branches everywhere. I have personally winched other TBH'ers outta this area at 2am before....BUT, if you can get way back to where it starts opening up a bit and see the meadows nears the river area (Check google earth, etc.) which is about half to two thirds of the way into the unit, you will have some GREAT hunting probably all to yourself. Seldom does anyone hunt this area and there is a low fenced 2800 acre game ranch that boarders most the entire units west fenceline.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #153
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Hunt In: Tom Green, Runnels, Coke, where ever possible.
Default Unit6

SAB, thanks for the intel. You have built up my curiosity about 6 again. It has been several years since I have driven out there (before I considered hunting out there). I may just have to do that soon. Don't have alot of scouting time left til season starts.
Should be ok in my tank. It is my daily driver but being an outdoorsman its just an understanding that it needs to take the abuse.
TXHORNZ
TXHORNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #154
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHORNZ View Post
SAB, thanks for the intel. You have built up my curiosity about 6 again. It has been several years since I have driven out there (before I considered hunting out there). I may just have to do that soon. Don't have alot of scouting time left til season starts.
Should be ok in my tank. It is my daily driver but being an outdoorsman its just an understanding that it needs to take the abuse.
TXHORNZ
LOL, ok cool. I gave my truck its first real scratches 2 yrs ago pulling another TBH'er outta deep draw late at night. You will probably come to an old Barbed wire fence about halfway in (if its still there) that has been knocked down and ran over a bunch. That is NOT private property. That is a livestock fence that the guy that has his cows grazing out there used to use so they wouldnt get out into the park area. He hasnt ran his cows in that unit in years so your good if ya go past it. I believe the best area to try to hunt out there may be just a short ways past that spot as most people don't go much farther than that. Ive seen huge flocks of Turkey fly across the river from that northside in Unit 6 over into Unit 4 from there and seen many nice bucks back in there. Good luck! start saving for that new paint job bud
Old 08-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #155
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Default Feeders located

I have been checking out Google maps (love em). I have spotted two feeders on the 2800 acre ranch that are not far from the TBR boundry. Might have to see what these bordering area look like.

On a different issue: I noticed that on the SASP thread, someone said that you can use tree stands and feeder. Is that true? When we hunted @4-5 years ago at SASP the rule was, what you carry in you have to carry out daily. You were not permited to leave anything overnight.

Thanks,
TXHORNZ
Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #156
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
I have been checking out Google maps (love em). I have spotted two feeders on the 2800 acre ranch that are not far from the TBR boundry. Might have to see what these bordering area look like.

On a different issue: I noticed that on the SASP thread, someone said that you can use tree stands and feeder. Is that true? When we hunted @4-5 years ago at SASP the rule was, what you carry in you have to carry out daily. You were not permited to leave anything overnight.

Thanks,
TXHORNZ
FEEDERS absolutely NOT, but you CAN bait with corn etc. (hand thrown) YES you CAN put up a permanent tree stand etc. as long as its gone during the draw hunts and after bow season ends. You need to put a tag on it with name ph# and APH permit number and then lock it up. I had a pop-up blind in Unit 3 last season the whole time without incident, b ut hardly anyone hunted there either.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #157
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Default Unit 4

SAB, probably going to go back to unit IV. Back on 2166 by your old lease you mention. I was curious about turning and going to the north end instead of the popular south end. Have you seen much back that direction towards 12 mile?
BTW, is the any cattle out there?

Thanks,
TXHORNZ
Old 08-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #158
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
SAB, probably going to go back to unit IV. Back on 2166 by your old lease you mention. I was curious about turning and going to the north end instead of the popular south end. Have you seen much back that direction towards 12 mile?
BTW, is the any cattle out there?

Thanks,
TXHORNZ
YES there is cattle in Unit 4 but they arent much of a problem usually as they like to hang out on our old lease trying to get into the feeder pens.

Now, if you head north (left at end of road) follow the tree line on your left side (my old lease) until you reach a big dip where a dry creek runs into the lake. As you cross there you will see another tree line that boarders a bunch of AG fields. Ive seen tons of Turkey and great deer in that general area anywhere around those tree lines right there.

Another good area Ive seen deer over on that side is by following that same north side road all the way back towards 12 mile. It eventually goes into a thick wooded area near the river. setup anywhere around that river bottom area. Ive seen alot of HOG (yes I said hogs at TBR) and Javi sign around there (and several dead hog carcassas').
Old 08-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #159
kevin9574
Four Point

Hunt In: Winkler Co.

Am I understanding right that you can camp anywhere in any of the units?
kevin9574 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #160
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Thumbs up Sounds like a plan

Looks like I me and my 5yr. old will be headed out there this weekend to get a better idea of the layout. From the Sat. view it looks like it has good potential.
Thanks as always,
TXHORNZ
Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #161
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Looks like I me and my 5yr. old will be headed out there this weekend to get a better idea of the layout. From the Sat. view it looks like it has good potential.
Thanks as always,
TXHORNZ
Have fun. I've seen bunches of deer lately. I even went filming deer a few nights recently. Almost every night about 45mins before sunset they will be coming out of their holding areas near water sources, especially if it was a REALLY hot day.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #162
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin9574 View Post
Am I understanding right that you can camp anywhere in any of the units?

YES you would be correct! You can camp anywhere around all the hunting units but be careful about WHERE you decide to do it. There are several places where alot of young folks like to go 4x4'ing and ATV'ing and your stuff might just disappear. Tell me where ya plan on hunting and I can probably show ya some spots to set-up camp. If ya have a trailer that ya can lock-up you would probably be ok but you won't be able to get it into to many places. San Angelo State park is close by the west side of TBR and there are several County and Private camp areas around the Eastern side units by the airport and Lake Nasworthy thats literally ajoining TBR. These other alternatives camp areas are much safer to leave your camp gear if you are tent camping.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #163
d1rich1
Ten Point

SAB!
I've hunted the public land of west of OC Fisher the year before last. I'm thinking about hunting TBR this year if I get a chance to make the drive. I have a ?. How do you get to unit 1? Hunter_Man said earlier that he found the entrance when he turned just a bit past the cop training center. Is that down Line Rd or Reece Rd?
d1rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #164
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rich1 View Post
SAB!
I've hunted the public land of west of OC Fisher the year before last. I'm thinking about hunting TBR this year if I get a chance to make the drive. I have a ?. How do you get to unit 1? Hunter_Man said earlier that he found the entrance when he turned just a bit past the cop training center. Is that down Line Rd or Reece Rd?
Hunter_Man is correct. You pass the police training center/gun range and cross over a bridge. The FIRST gate on the RIGHT is the entrance. Its a cattle guard and drops down a small incline as you enter. Follow the main track until ya are right next to the TBR Dam. Follow the road until it goes AROUND the end of the D-A-M. Once you go around the end that is where the open hunting unit begins. Follow the road that goes East-West along the wire fence to access the interior of the Unit. You will soon come to a 4 way intersection of trails. Go either straight towards river or go left to head way deep into the unit. You will notice a tall berm thats an old railroad bed. It runs the entire length almost of the unit 1. If you ever get lost and you run across this you will be able to find your way out.

Download topos/aerial photos etc. go explore and have fun. Theres some great deet out there this year. Ive seen several already, but that can be said about the whole place. I've been filming over in Unit 3 lately and seen alot more deer this year than ever. That can be said the same for San Angelo State Park to tho
Old 08-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #165
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rich1 View Post
SAB!
Is that down Line Rd or Reece Rd?
NOOOOOOO! Its just before line rd.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #166
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

If I ever meet any y'all out here I'll show ya some of my secret spots. Cant post on here, sorry
Old 08-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #167
d1rich1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
If I ever meet any y'all out here I'll show ya some of my secret spots. Cant post on here, sorry
Wow that was quick!
Oh yes! If I come down I'll definately be giving you a shout and see if you want to hunt.
d1rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #168
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Guys I posted a quick lil video clip I took of out at TBR from scouting the past week. ALL footage was taken from one spot on the lakeshore in UNit 3. take the old boat ramp road to unit entrance North bound from the bridge that goes over the EQ Channel and go all the way to the lake shore and then head West (left) and follow the shore until you see a big halfmoon shaped shoreline. midway in the halfmoon you will see where 2 treelines open to a long brush flat that spreads out to the south. I was parked right there in the tall weeds/brush and could see deer stacking up in the tree brush transition zones just waiting for sunset to come around to go to water. It would be best hunted early in the week when there is MUCH less traffic. Forget about it on a weekend. even a couple nights I went out it was a bust with kids and their trucks running arounas you'll see in the video. But some deer still came late even those evenings.

Tip: get back towards the tree line early about 2 hrs. before dark and about 45mins before sundown you'll start seeing nice deer stacking up in these zones. There are alot of overgrown roads along these areas if ya get out and look from the constant water level changes over the years that make great set-up and shooting lanes
Old 08-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #169
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Smile Saturday

Will be headed out to unit4 tomorrow AM with my boy. Probably load up the 4 wheeler too, just in case it needs to be rode.

Thanks for the info SAB.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #170
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Will be headed out to unit4 tomorrow AM with my boy. Probably load up the 4 wheeler too, just in case it needs to be rode.

Thanks for the info SAB.
I highly recommend the west end of the unit behind 12 mile ranch. The other section behind the Boys Ranch is very heavily hunted during wknds. Don't be surprised if you hear a BUNCH of shooting during archery season out there from all the Dove hunters. They stay pretty close to the sunflower patches close to unit entrance usually tho. so the farther you get back in towards 12 mile the better. Deer heavily travel along the fenceline boarder back there in the treeline. Walk back in there and you'll see what I mean
Old 08-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #171
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Thumbs up Lookin good!!!

We spent a few hours scouting out at unit 4. First place I was interested in found a tripod stand and feeder. So, that place is out. But we found serveral other options. Some great big old trees way back in there looked nice. But there was a blind in there as well. Not sure how old it is but that is ok I found two other places. I am going to see if I get anything to come in. Looks like I will be leaving unit 1 and hunting unit 4 this year. Found a good place to dove hunt too. Man it was HOT out there!

Last edited by TXHORNZ; 08-21-2010 at 06:45 PM..
Old 08-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #172
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

glad ya found something ya like but I'd recommend looking way back in 6 before ya settle for sure. 4 gets awful crowded during dove season and a lot of shooting going on.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #173
Harvey
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort McKavett Country

Well, drove back into Unit 1 the Saturday before last. Just a quick trip since we were in Angelo for a few hours. Hafernick and I must have kept it trimmed up with loppers when we were there (actually I'm pretty sure I remember we did), cause I don't remember the mesquite limbs being so thick over the roads. Broke in my new truck with some scratches!!
Went all the way back to the river and saw the new high fence. Sure brought back a lot of good memories.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #174
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Well, drove back into Unit 1 the Saturday before last. Just a quick trip since we were in Angelo for a few hours. Hafernick and I must have kept it trimmed up with loppers when we were there (actually I'm pretty sure I remember we did), cause I don't remember the mesquite limbs being so thick over the roads. Broke in my new truck with some scratches!!
Went all the way back to the river and saw the new high fence. Sure brought back a lot of good memories.
Ya the high fence was a big concern but it really didnt effect the deer movement as much as I thought it would. Hint: find a spot not far from where that high fence starts and work one of the trails coming over the fence around there or the nearest water source
Old 08-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #175
buffalorider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pineywoods

Good of you to share all of this information SAB. Not many folks would willingly give out as much detailed information as you have. Good luck out there!

br
buffalorider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #176
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalorider View Post
Good of you to share all of this information SAB. Not many folks would willingly give out as much detailed information as you have. Good luck out there!

br
Been playing around out there for 14yrs. I only hunt it now for a quick run close to town. I have several other places I hunt on private land as well, so I don't mind helping folks out. I've given several tours / guide folks out there visiting from TBH. Theres so many places to go that are away from the weekend crowds that I dont mind giving some tips in detail. I HIGHLY recommend hunting TBR Tuesday-Thursday tho when the crowds are down and deer have had a chance to relax after the weekend chaos
Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #177
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Default Sab

SAB, is the tipod I stumbled upon or maybe the shotgun blind in the BIG old trees yours?
Also, when did they spray some of brush out on the south side of IV?
Saturday we also crossed from IV to III around the Spring Creek ****. Then drove back through unit III to the EQ. There is a lot of thick mesquite back in there.
Got to add more scratches to my truck.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #178
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
SAB, is the tipod I stumbled upon or maybe the shotgun blind in the BIG old trees yours?
Also, when did they spray some of brush out on the south side of IV?
Saturday we also crossed from IV to III around the Spring Creek ****. Then drove back through unit III to the EQ. There is a lot of thick mesquite back in there.
Got to add more scratches to my truck.
NOT my tripod. I dont have a set-up out there. I have a deer lease out in the county. Hint: when ya cross the "creek" back there go southwest towards the back gate of unit behind houses. The nresidents have automatic feeders in the backyards that deer travel to
Old 08-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #179
Harvey
Ten Point

How do the falls look just below the creek crossing y'all are using? That's a beautiful spot.
We used to be able to cross Spring Creek way (maybe 1/2 to 3/4) below the falls when the lake was super low. Then we had the big rains a few years ago and the lake backed up way into Spring Creek and could no longer cross. Just below that crossing was a ledge that ran the entire width of the creek that created a falls. But not as pretty as the falls 1/4 mile below the Spring Creek dam!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #180
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
How do the falls look just below the creek crossing y'all are using? That's a beautiful spot.
We used to be able to cross Spring Creek way (maybe 1/2 to 3/4) below the falls when the lake was super low. Then we had the big rains a few years ago and the lake backed up way into Spring Creek and could no longer cross. Just below that crossing was a ledge that ran the entire width of the creek that created a falls. But not as pretty as the falls 1/4 mile below the Spring Creek dam!
Haven't been back that far in unit 3/4 for awhile but I can tell ya it should be easy to cross right now as the EQ channel is DRY
Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #181
Harvey
Ten Point

Yeah, I noticed the EQ being dry a couple weeks ago when I came into town from Knickerbocker. I'll be out at Spring Creek on 9/11 to check out the old fly fishing waters.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #182
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Default Harvey

We crossed pretty close to the dam on the solid rock bottom. There was a group of people at the dam area day camping. You probably remember just 20' up river from the dam there is a nice place to go down to the river.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #183
Harvey
Ten Point

Yeah, I remember you could cross over the creek below the dam and flank the creek to the above dam side and there was an area that went down creekside where it looked like people had camped at waters edge.
I've seen some 5lb bass caught above the dam.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #184
Hafernick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher, Menard, Burleson, Lee

Quote:
Yeah, I remember you could cross over the creek below the dam and flank the creek to the above dam side and there was an area that went down creekside where it looked like people had camped at waters edge.
I've seen some 5lb bass caught above the dam.
unfortunately your not a very good fisherman so you didn't catch any....
Hafernick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #185
Harvey
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hafernick View Post
unfortunately your not a very good fisherman so you didn't catch any....
Fishing guides don't catch fish, they show others where and how to. Don't you remember I was guiding you and Thomas back there on Spring Creek? I guess you've drank too much Colorado cool-aid since then and have suffered some memory loss.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #186
Hafernick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher, Menard, Burleson, Lee

Quote:
Fishing guides don't catch fish, they show others where and how to. Don't you remember I was guiding you and Thomas back there on Spring Creek? I guess you've drank too much Colorado cool-aid since then and have suffered some memory loss.
Oh is that how the story went?
Hafernick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #187
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Been seeing lots of deer in UNits 3 and 4 guys. Midday going to water out in the tight mesquite flats. Staying in thick cover trying to get in position for midday watering and holding up close by for late evening. Find trails coming outta the thick cover and wait for about 45 mins before sunset lately.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #188
hrdwrkncwby76
Ten Point

Hunt In: public land

Rob just left you a voice mail and my number would love to be able to pick your brain on the TBR area for this weekend. I'll be coming in from Ft Hood to hunt with a buddy from San Angelo. Also thought maybe we could meet up for a lunch / beer or something either Saturday or Sunday
hrdwrkncwby76 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #189
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Default Well, how'd it go?

Hey guys, anyone see any deer or take anything at TBR opening weekend? I saw lots of Turkey but decided to wait. It was early in the AM and early in the season. They will be back.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #190
hrdwrkncwby76
Ten Point

Saw a few but never got a shot presented on Sunday and nothing on Saturday
Old 10-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #191
squeek372
Banned!!!

Hunt In: San Angelo, Tilden, Bertram, Sterling City, Grape Creek, anywhere else I can

any news on tbr this season?
squeek372 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #192
Okie in Texas
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards County
Default For SABOWMAN

Quote:
Been seeing lots of deer in UNits 3 and 4 guys. Midday going to water out in the tight mesquite flats. Staying in thick cover trying to get in position for midday watering and holding up close by for late evening. Find trails coming outta the thick cover and wait for about 45 mins before sunset lately.
My family and I just moved to San Angelo bought a place on FM2166. Would like to meet up and get the lay of the land out at TBR. Need to knock the rust off my bowhunting skills, but want to get out a few times this season. Having my four wheeler brought up from San Antonio in a couple of weeks, so maybe we could hook up and go check out the lay of the land. My wife and teenager are ready to go, but I really want to know more about TBR before taking them out and setting them up to hunt.

Toby
Okie in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #193
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Hey guys, anyone see any deer or take anything at TBR opening weekend? I saw lots of Turkey but decided to wait. It was early in the AM and early in the season. They will be back.
My buddy and I were covered up in hundreds of turkey all wknd but held off for deer. Finally airred out a couple birds on Saturday , missed a doe yesterday evening, and spotted some exotics. Shot my turkey at 40yds after passing on a doe that wouldnt give me a decent shot. Got whole thing on film but still need to edit this week. Very fun weekend of hunting.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #194
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
Saw a few but never got a shot presented on Sunday and nothing on Saturday
I tried calling you and left a message. Lemmee know next time ya come to town. I'll show ya some good stuff. I still have a few secret spots I told show many people out there
Old 10-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #195
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Thumbs up

SAB, glad to hear you had a couple of eventful hunts. Going tomorrow evening. Probably take a turkey if they are around this time. Gonna be warm. Looking forward to later this week. Its going to be a little cooler with possibly rain/overcast. NICE!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #196
hrdwrkncwby76
Ten Point

hmm never got a voicemail back from ya! But I'm sure I'll be back out there

I whacked a doe last Saturday night just before quitting time and all I found was a broken bloody arrow and no deer. searched for at least 3 hours and nothing not even a blood trail. Came back to the same spot and searched some more Sunday and still found nothing. got off another shot Sunday night but it went just under this time.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #197
Bubbamaniac
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
My buddy and I were covered up in hundreds of turkey all wknd but held off for deer. Finally airred out a couple birds on Saturday , missed a doe yesterday evening, and spotted some exotics. Shot my turkey at 40yds after passing on a doe that wouldnt give me a decent shot. Got whole thing on film but still need to edit this week. Very fun weekend of hunting.
I live about an hour and a half away from San Angelo and was drawn on the GDE hunt at the park. Ive never hunted that area and am relatively new to the hunting game got my first deer last year. How are the deer in the park and where can you find maps of it. I may buy the public hunt permit and begin hunting there since i dont have a lease and really like some of the things im reading. Are you allowed to hunt the exotics.
Bubbamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #198
rcopester
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas

Is TBR an archery only area?
rcopester is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #199
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Default rcopester

You can also hunt with shotgun during rifle season. Buckshot only, not slug. Guys, correct me if I am wrong but that has been the rule for a while now.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #200
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
You can also hunt with shotgun during rifle season. Buckshot only, not slug. Guys, correct me if I am wrong but that has been the rule for a while now.
That would be correct....buckshot only!

NOTE: Some parts of TBR during "Knuclehead" season can be pretty scary on the weekends if in an easy to access area!!! most of the "other" guys are lazy and wont venture into remote areas. They stay around where they can easily drive into. It is NOT uncommon to see people driving around with a car load of "Hunters" in lil' hondas or similar passenger cars. If you see this I highly recommend going to another area. Last year I had buckshot whizzing over my head several times during a hunt in area 2 after warning the guy (TBH'er) that it wasnt a place we should hunt on a wknd during shotgun season.

Tip: Use 4 wheeler or old truck you dont mind scratching up and find the thickest brush area in any unit that you can find. The shotgunners will run all the deer off into these areas while in the meantime they stay in the areas that are only easily accessed by their lil cars and show trucks

Good luck!