Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 AM   #101
allenshawn1
Four Point

tent camping up their this weekend. Let me know if you are going up. Love this new hunting experience. went full circle. started on public and core land as a kid. Went to leases, feeders, campers, etc.... Now I am back to keep it simple. good times!!! Scout, hunt, enjoy the outdoors with out feeders and leases. I love it!
allenshawn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #102
flogORfish
Four Point

Can't go camping this weekend due to plans Fri and Halloween on Saturday. Good possibility though, that I'll be over on Saturday and/or Sunday (afternoon). I want to scout some additional areas.
flogORfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #103
TBeau25
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Anywhere I Can

Allenshawn1 i share the same feelings about hunting public land. There really isnt anything else like it. I have the day off from school so heading up there to do some scouting and maybe stick stick something this afternoon.
TBeau25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #104
toddblue68
Six Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Drove up yesterday. Ya'll are right.... no permit needed. Sorry for causing any problems. Did talk to a TBH'er and a couple of guy's for a minute. Sorry but I forget his TBH handle. Seem's kind of weird seeing signs posted about bears. Don't remember seeing them last year.
It was me and a couple of buddies you spoke with briefly. I've been out there a couple of weekends this month and seen absolutely zero deer. Saw several doe back in the heat of the summer on a brief early morning scout trip.

I saw pigs two weeks ago and one of my buddies saw a yote but didn't get a shot. The under brush is so thick shooting lanes are extremely short.

We did some scouting around noon and saw one nice set of tracks crossing the "road" on the north unit down from the new "know your bear" sign. Even the scat I can find looks pretty old and even with the rain there weren't many tracks to be found.

There doesn't seem to be as much torn up area as last year as if maybe the pig numbers dwindled some over the summer. we did come across a pig skeleton. My son and I'll be at Pat Mayse for the youth only drawn hunt this coming weekend.
toddblue68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #105
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

It was nice to meet you. We're planning on getting up there fairly soon. Good luck on your season.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #106
allenshawn1
Four Point

went this weekend. Only jumped one little buck. Lots of walking. did find a rub line and 4 scrapes. My first good sign up their. Care taker said the rut hasnt started yet. No deer movement so far. May try to get a group to go up and rent the club house in a few weeks.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #107
allenshawn1
Four Point

Gonna try to get the lodge for next weekend. Not sure how many friends are going yet. $70 a night for the lodge that has electricity. Think I will have two others going, but you never no. If anyone has any interest in going, let me know. Im pretty sure the lodge would hold 6 to 8 people. I will check it out next week.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #108
huntnfishtex
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Childress, lampasas, burnet Granger

I have been wanting to take my dad and put some meat in the freezer. I was wondering about the hog hunting up there and if it was worth the drive up there or not. thanks for any info
huntnfishtex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #109
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Well I don't know that I would drive from Liberty Hill to there to hunt hogs, but it is close enough to a few other spots with potential also. the Ladonia unit has a good amount of pigs as well as Cooper WMA.
Sparkles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2010, 12:43 AM   #110
allenshawn1
Four Point

Yeah, that is a long drive to hunt pigs. Dont get me wrong, their are alot of pigs up their, but their are alot of pigs all over TX.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #111
allenshawn1
Four Point

Default last hunt on big deer for the season

Saw three does and one unknown, by a scrape up their this weekend. Really wish I could have at least seen how big the deer was that made these. Oh well, he will be even bigger next year, unless he gets hit by a car or someone gets him in the next couple of weeks.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #112
SgtRock
Six Point

Hunt In: Archer and Collin County

I spent the day scoutin out the fannin unit today, I saw signs of hogs most everywhere I went, but section 38 down in the river bottom had the most hog activity. Section 37 and 36 looked to be the best areas for deer. Lots of acorns at 36 with fresh deer tracks all over the place. Talked to the forest ranger who patrols the area and he said hog season ends March 6. I didnt ask him but it looks like someone has been hunting with dogs in section 38. Not sure if that is legal.
SgtRock is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #113
toddblue68
Six Point

The close date for hog season is March 13, 2011 on the Caddo (Boise d'Arc and Ladonia) WMA. Lake Fannin is not part of the WMA, so it would be surprising if Fannin is subject to that date. It is subject to all Fannin county TPWD dates for certain. I'll double check that with the GW. There is no actual "season" for wild hogs in Texas since they are exotics and thus not protected game animals.

There are some very healthy coyotes running around the area. And there are plenty of hog skeletons strewn around the way a dog pack scatters things (we found a fully intact skull last week). What kind of sign indicates dog hunting was taking place versus coyotes being opportunistic? Not saying it isn't taking place but I've been in the northern area after dark, and the coyotes make their presence known with enough gusto to make you pick up your pace to get out.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #114
allenshawn1
Four Point

Yeah, I have heard three different packs howling in the afternoon. Saw one and one fox, but couldnt get a shot. If you are hunting the north cut-over, I almost got ran over by guys on donkeys, with pitbulls. I called the game warden, but he was on the other side of the county. He was supposed to follow up on it. He thought he knew who it was.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #115
SgtRock
Six Point

I talked to a Forest Service Ranger who is responsible for patroling the Lake Fannin unit. His name is Chris if you PM me I'll give you his number. He told me hog season ends at Fannin on March 6th. The reason I suspect dogs are being used is the size of the tracks and the scat I was finding was dog scat. I found coyote scat as well. There is a difference due to thier diets.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #116
SgtRock
Six Point

Here is the sign on the the gates at Fannin. It does not say anything about hog season.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #117
toddblue68
Six Point

The dog hunting information is good to know about. I've only been down in that area once.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #118
best4best
Nubbin' Buck

thanks it is great
best4best is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #119
Johnny quest
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wise ,Montague

I cant wait....Ive got goosebumps already!Fannin County here I come!Anybody know the regulations or should I just go with the flow and use common sense?Thanks for any feedback!
Johnny quest is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #120
allenshawn1
Four Point

You should send off for the map if you don't have one. Also stop by the park caretaker, robin, talk with him. I will be bringing a few opening weekend, but then hunting grapevine. Good luck to all!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #121
droptine69
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East texas and south texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWarcher View Post
as far as I'm concerned crossbow is not archery equipment
Well It is for folks that are handicapped !!!!!
droptine69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #122
allenshawn1
Four Point

I will be out their opening weekend. Going get a couple guys new to bow hunting started. Let me know if you are going. Can exchange info. I will be hunting grapevine the rest of the year unless I see a huge deer.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #123
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Had a lot of good times there in high school! Never involved hunting though.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #124
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quick question. I have an area i would like to check out, but the gate is locked. Can I still acess this area? i would have to go over the gate or fence. Don't want to get into any trouble. Thanks.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #125
allenshawn1
Four Point

If its the gate off the first road coming from south that goes to campgrounds, yes. Check the map with google earth. Also, stop by and talk to Robyn at the big caretakers office. He is a good guy and will give you the rundown on rules. Find the burr oaks and don't move. Good luck !
Old 10-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #126
ChickenWilly
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas and anywhere else I can!

Anybody had any luck this year yet?
ChickenWilly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #127
fezo5398
Spike

Hunt In: Dallas

is this the unit North West of Telephone, TX. if it is, it is not listed in the Anual Public Hunting Book, and i cant find anything in reference to this area. Correct me if im worng

Thanks
fezo5398 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #128
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

Fannin Unit requires only a state hunting license. Hogs can be taken year round.
Archery only for hogs and deer. Fannin County rules apply. Unit 35 around the lakes and the old CCC lodge and cabins is closed to hunting.

The lodge and campgrounds are operated under a concession permit and can be rented very reasonably.

http://www.lakefannin.org/

Rules and regs.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5292758.pdf

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...?county=Fannin
Froggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #129
fezo5398
Spike

Hunt In: Dallas

sounds like a plan
fezo5398 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #130
bttgraham
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: All Over

I have been reading this thread and new to public hunting. this forum is great. Where can you get a map of the area? Also what are the thoughts on ground blinds for the location.
bttgraham is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #131
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by bttgraham View Post
I have been reading this thread and new to public hunting. this forum is great. Where can you get a map of the area? Also what are the thoughts on ground blinds for the location.

Call Chris Flippo at 903 378-2103. Leave a message if he's not in. He will call you back.
Froggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #132
bttgraham
Nubbin' Buck

Thank You much. I plan on a trip next weekend for 3 or 4 days. I hope the weather gets cooler though.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #133
bttgraham
Nubbin' Buck

Anyone going to Fannin this weekend.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #134
explorer1
Eight Point

Hunt In: area near emory. hunted basset. and white oak since i was 12.

went and scouted saturdayat gate 38, plenty of poop no recent activity of deer checked nearby ponds , freshest print i saw there was 3 days old, no scrapes no rubs and i checked for miles in a grid pattern, my opinion is the deer are up near the gates by camp areas, its reallly thick cover in the bottoms, to thick, i dont think the deer will be in there lol no fast escape route for them, but i have been wrong before. one sighting though tbh flame orange giant in a tree, named hmm better not say that ,,, but nice to meet ya hope ya got one. i almost forgot i was hunting and enjoyed the beauty of this place enjoyed ever minute of it. keep us posted ppl i wanna know whats in there , not where.
explorer1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #135
bttgraham
Nubbin' Buck

it was good to meet you also explorer1. I ended up only seeing a couple of yotes. I found some good places with plenty of deer sign. The last couple of days is was there it was so hot that the mesquitos were eating me alive. I may be going the day after Thanksgiving for a few days and then again the 1st of Dec. I am glad it is finally cooling off though. Has anybody been seeing any deer. And if so what units. I have a few spots GPS'd and ready when i return.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #136
NTX HUNTER
Six Point

Hunt In: grayson

i may be over there the 26th and 27th
NTX HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #137
bttgraham
Nubbin' Buck

Cool I will be there the 26th through the 2nd. I hope the deer are moving and it stays cool.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #138
explorer1
Eight Point

Hunt In: area near emory. hunted basset. and white oak since i was 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bttgraham View Post
it was good to meet you also explorer1. I ended up only seeing a couple of yotes. I found some good places with plenty of deer sign. The last couple of days is was there it was so hot that the mesquitos were eating me alive. I may be going the day after Thanksgiving for a few days and then again the 1st of Dec. I am glad it is finally cooling off though. Has anybody been seeing any deer. And if so what units. I have a few spots GPS'd and ready when i return.
explorer1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #139
rut n buck
Ten Point

Hunt In: around waco,wortham bend n pancake

unless special restrictions are in place ther then you may abide by tpw regulations making it legal to shoot crossbow during archery and rifle season WITHOUT upper limb disability or special permit
rut n buck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #140
urinsuranceguy
Six Point

Hunt In: north texas

Anybody having luck up there yet?
urinsuranceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #141
toddblue68
Six Point

IMO, it's been a little more disappointing than the last couple of years. We've seen a few doe, the only buck I've seen was from 120yrds, nice body, puny rack. Just the last few weeks been finding more rubs. Haven't seen pigs this year so far other than road kill, and that's the unusual part. Last year I'd see or hear them every 2-3 trips out.

But then, we've been relegated to pretty crummy weather a few times (high winds).
Old 12-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #142
bttgraham
Nubbin' Buck

Smile Fannin Archery last weeend

I have been a few times this year. I have seen 8 deer total only one buck though. He was about 80yards out. Needed him at 60 yards. Going back this fri and sat since it is last weekend. Weather is not going to be great. High temps but low wind. I hope to see some my trigger finger is getting itchy. Has anyone else seen anything
Old 12-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #143
urinsuranceguy
Six Point

Hunt In: north texas

went out this morning and didnt see much. Saw a group of pigs last weekend at about 70yds though.

Better luck next year I guess.
urinsuranceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2017, 01:49 AM   #144
tdwinklr
Four Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Dang Pat. You sure ask tough questions.

Policed by Forest Service Law Enforcement and TP&W Game Wardens.

Boundaries are marked and they have fire lines aound the property. Corners are marked with red bands around three trees and a monument.

Wildlife survey and check in forms will be made available at bulletin boards and will be mandatory.

Shotgun hunting for small game will still be allowed. No shot larger than #4.

All you need to hunt there is a state hunting license.
no markers now, area is closed.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2017, 02:01 AM   #145
tdwinklr
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
You got that right. Page 2 #4 says you have to comply with all rules and regulations according to Parks & Wildlife. It says you have to have all required licenses and permits. P&W says you have to have a AHP. I will go with them to be safe.

no, TPWD just wants to sell stuff. Call the game warden with your questions, he's the one to be concerned with anyway, if you get checked, right?
APH is NOT needed there.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:07 AM   #146
TxnRunner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
no, TPWD just wants to sell stuff. Call the game warden with your questions, he's the one to be concerned with anyway, if you get checked, right?
APH is NOT needed there.

Bruhh... this thread is 7 years old.. I imagine they got the answers they were looking for by now..
TxnRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2017, 02:16 AM   #147
tdwinklr
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxnRunner View Post
Bruhh... this thread is 7 years old.. I imagine they got the answers they were looking for by now..

congratulations.