Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
    Good job Jeff.

Looks like he was starting to get the mange a bit on his feet and lower jaw.
    May just be blood or photo anomaly, because he was full coated and gorgeous. I haven't seen any serious mange in a good while, or should I say, Chupacabras, but after 4 good rainfall years, high prey species production, followed by high predator production, then mange should be expected to make a return in the next few years.

Comment

Has anyone else seen the experimental survey for antler restrictions on mule deer in Panhandle Counties (Briscoe, Childress, Cottle, Floyd, Hall, and Motley)? I personally agree with it. We have tons of young bucks and does but, few mature deer.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWayne86 View Post
        Has anyone else seen the experimental survey for antler restrictions on mule deer in Panhandle Counties (Briscoe, Childress, Cottle, Floyd, Hall, and Motley)? I personally agree with it. We have tons of young bucks and does but, few mature deer.

Comment

I've been covered up in young bucks in Collingsworth Co. I see 6 or 8 at every siting. No does show up at all. I guess they are hassled too much by all the young bucks. I saw one mature 9 point today, prob 130" class. I passed. Hopefully the big boys will show soon! They are hitting the corn hard!

Comment

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Buddy got this one Saturday morning. Scored right at 137, but had 10+ inches broken off that would have got him close to 150. He was jogging straight at us. Head down nothing in his mind but finding the last of the does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post
              Buddy got this one Saturday morning. Scored right at 137, but had 10+ inches broken off that would have got him close to 150. He was jogging straight at us. Head down nothing in his mind but finding the last of the does.

Use this pic!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone know of any leases coming open next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post

Congrats! That's the problem with the late season up there...the big boys are usually busted up pretty bad.

Comment

saw a big WT buck tending a doe today on hwy 70 between pampa and I40 in a playa lake bottom. it was obvious he was still in full on rut.

Comment

I saw a nice buck west of 83 at 10:30 this morning grazing wheat.

Not this Cowboy...

Comment

Go this one with an almost to low shot but let him lay overnight and hogs and yotes fed well Saturday night. Still happy to find him.

Will try to reload the pics or you can follow this thread:

Last edited by Mudslinger; 12-12-2017, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Big ol head on him. Congrats Doug. I know how long that night was for you. Glad you found him.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job mudslinger!

I've been on shift the last 7 days. Hunted this morning and saw nothing. Pulled the card this morning after my sit and everything has been coming around 5 in the evening for the last 10 days. Had a nice 8 on camera I will probably try to shoot if he keeps to pattern today. Looks like bucks are back in bachelor groups on this place.

BTW I don't know why I hunt mornings. In 30 plus years of hunting I have had very few successful morning hunts. I tend to get skunked more than not.

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
                              Good job mudslinger!

I've on shift the last 7 days. Hunted this morning and saw nothing. Pulled the card thus morning after my sit and everything has benn coming around 5 in the evening for the last 10 days. Had a nice 8 on camera I will probably try to shoot if he keeps to pattern today. Looks like bucks are back in bachelor groups on this place.

BTW I don't know why I hunt mornings. In 30 plus years of hunting I have had very few successful morning hunts. I tend to get skunked more than not.

Crazy that you say that. I have hunted a ranch in Briscoe for the last 5 years and from day one the land owner said nothing really moves in the AM. In the beginning I thought he just didn’t like getting up early. I have hunted every AM I have been there and I bet activity is less than 50% in the Am vs PM. I will hunt the AM but they are not my favorite by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                                Crazy that you say that. I have hunted a ranch in Briscoe for the last 5 years and from day one the land owner said nothing really moves in the AM. In the beginning I thought he just didn’t like getting up early. I have hunted every AM I have been there and I bet activity is less than 50% in the Am vs PM. I will hunt the AM but they are not my favorite by any means.
                                I just like get out any time I can even if it is unsuccessful. I think seeing morning deer depends a lot on where you are set up on their daily pattern. If your close to a bedding area then I bet you would see more deer. I haven't pulled my card in 10 days and I bet only 3 of the 10 days showed deer at daylight. They come starting around 3 in the afternoon and there are pictures through about 5 in the morning then it drys up for the day.
                                This morning I got to my blind 640 and there were deer around 30 minutes before I got there.

Comment

Working...
                                X