Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #51
Krivoman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
LOL! I have a perfect vision of how that went!
forgot to mention generator was running for about 8 hours when checked.
Krivoman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #52
silentstalker92
Spike

Hunt In: votaw

When i was a kid i used jump out of my dads pick up truck while he was driving and see if i could keep running. 10 mph... easy 15 mph lil tough... 25mph... instant wipeout
silentstalker92 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #53
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Sorry! I'll have do some thorough due diligence before releasing most of that information, statutes of limitations and lawsuits dontya know.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #54
Lawhunter
Eight Point

These are great
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 05:10 PM   #55
Bowshark
Ten Point

Jumped off a two story house with an old WWII parachute tied to underarmsÖ.I jumped and just about a foot before I touched the ground the parachute opened dislocating both my arms.
Bowshark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #56
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

When i was about 10 years old, i tried jumping off the roof of the shed like my older brothers did.
I found out real quick that a knee to the face makes a 10 year old cry like a little girl
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #57
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
This is ironic considering the other thread
Should have been tied off

Here are a couple that come to mind. Last time I was at the deer lease I back my Ranger right into the travel trailer step. Another time I remember I put a protein feeder on the back of my 4-wheeler. I drove over by my truck and didn't account for the metal tube sticking out and put a huge scratch in it!
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #58
Radar
Eight Point

Not really
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #59
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

I had my 4 wheeler in the bed of my truck and wasn't thinking and did a burn out to make my boys laugh and the ratchet on the tie down failed, the atv flew right out the back and the "oh shizz" momen happened. luckily it landed on its tires and didn't break anything, not sure i thought something would break, it's a Honda.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #60
Rafter S
Four Point

Here, hold my beer....watch this! Thatís all Iím going to say,you can probably figure out the rets
Rafter S is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #61
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

So far, I am guilty of the accidental mega pee swig in the deer blind as well as checking the oil in a running generator.
Pretty much word for word these guy's descriptions.
TP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #62
TP3
Ten Point

I also jumped in a golf cart and peeled out backwards my buddy couldn't get in.
T-boned the back door of a Cadillac at full throttle in the process.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #63
TP3
Ten Point

Bowfishing your own foot sounds pretty terrible too.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #64
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

I have NEVER done anything STUPID except PO "some" TBH members...BUT, with my Alpha Sheepdog personality...I just moved responses I could not accept to IGNORED. Works for me.... , made so many stupid mistakes over 65 years I can't even come up with a good one anymore....
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #65
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Going hunting, got all the way to some public ground in Newton, had everything including arrows, except for my bow...left it at home
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #66
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Went fishing at Rayburn, Winter time, Im the only one at the launch, back the trailer down to get my boat, get out of truck the door shuts because of the incline and my door is locked. So my truck is running on the ramp and I have no spare key.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #67
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

The illegal ones I will keep to myself
Old 12-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #68
BUCKSTAR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Inside the 40 Acres

One summer I was a member of a Hotshot fire crew that also worked in the woods of the Sierras between fires. This particular day I was assigned to swamp for a cat-skinner (safety watch for a Caterpillar operator). That day, we were headed back to camp and caught a Rattler crossing the dirt road in the middle of the day. I commented that Iíd heard that a Rattler would die if left in the hot sun for 5 minutes. The cat-skinner replied, ok letís find out as he stopped the truck, got out and grabbed the shovel.

I checked my watch as he approached the snake and proceeded to keep him on the road with the shovel. After 3 minutes, The Rattler was acting funny, at 6 minutes he began biting his own tail, at 9 minutes he was done for and after 13 minutes, he was stone dead. Looking back, the whole incident was wrong, cruel and dangerous!

Statically, 80% of all Rattler bites happened when the victim was trying to kill a Rattler
BUCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #69
josepht
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Atascosa county

Me and my cousin when young kids thought it would be a good idea to throw a CO2 into a fire... sounded like a bomb went off my dad then an active duty policeman came running out in his underwear only to find me and my cousin with holes burned in our clothes... lets just say we got a good whippin after that!
josepht is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #70
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepht View Post
Me and my cousin when young kids thought it would be a good idea to throw a CO2 into a fire... sounded like a bomb went off my dad then an active duty policeman came running out in his underwear only to find me and my cousin with holes burned in our clothes... lets just say we got a good whippin after that!
That is funny and not funny at the same time
Old 12-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #71
sharpstick35
Four Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

Way back in my Navy days...lol
I could fill a library. rednecks, engineers and booze.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #72
jmac24
Spike

Here is my "Hold my beer" moment

At our house on the Guadalupe, several beers in, there is a perfectly straight tree about
4" in diameter by the water. I said " I bet I can get a running start and spin myself all of the way around that tree and land on my feet." Handed my beer to a friend and took off. Made it about half way through the spin when the tree snapped off level with the ground and I face planted. One of my friends has asthma and laughed so hard she had to go get her inhaler.

The worst part, I am 51 years old!!
jmac24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #73
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Went to Lubbock one weekend to meet some high school buddies who were going to Tech. Made it to the strip to pick up beer just before closing time. A few too many cold ones later, I climbed on the “bucking bull trainer” they’d built (i.e. barrel, springs, and cheap rope strung between flimsy panhandle trees in a trailer par)

20 years later my back still hurts fairly frequently but it was worth it!
StrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #74
Notaguide
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: McLennan Co.

It was a Friday in December 2002 doing framing work. I was short a couple of guys that left early for X-mas down south and wanted to finish a bunch of work before the extended holiday. Working solo, I was hanging under a balcony partially on a ladder with a framing gun loaded with ring shanks above my head. Literally had one last board before shutting it down for the day when I pulled the hose and missed grabbing the framing gun. About the time I caught the gun it hit my knee and heard it go off. Really didn't feel anything but looked down knowing what I might find which were my jeans pinned 3/4" deep into my leg. So I'm standing there on a incline with my knee bent basically locked with a 3" nail through the joint. Unable to straighten my left leg, I hop around to the front of the house on one leg to my truck where my phone was located. I really was trying to figure out a way to drive myself to the hospital before emberassingly calling my wife to pick me up. If it wasn't for the Dodge with the 6spd, I'd probably have another stupid story to tell. Surgery and five days later I got to go home from the hospital.

Last edited by Notaguide; 12-07-2017 at 09:06 PM..
Notaguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #75
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCullouch County

Well I don't feel so bad about myself now...

We bought a new '17 F250 back in March. As many of y'all know, we just built a shop. Since we were pouring concrete, we decided to go ahead and take out a few bushes and pour a concrete sidewalk instead of having pavers anymore. Well, the winch on my Jeep wasn't strong enough (Jeep too light) so instead, we hooked a chain around a bush and then to the rear bumper of the 6 month old truck. On the second try, one of the links of the chain SNAPPED and flew into the tailgate leaving 6 or so nice ping pong ball sized dents... smh. I took the blame for that even though it wasn't my idea. I was just driving... those bushes came out a lot easier with the contractor's excavator...
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #76
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Last Summer I was pulling into a gas station in New Mexico with one of my buddies and let's just say a good lookin female was walking across the parking lot and I got distracted and smashed into a metal pole that prevents people from driving up onto the sidewalk or in to the side of the store going 35 miles an hour. You talk about coming to a sudden stop in a hurry......I thought I had whip lash....either from that pole or whipping my head around to look at that woman in her Summer time attire. My buddy sunk down in the seat and said "We're not going in after that are we?" I said "Of course we are. She didn't notice." He looked at me and said "We almost drove through the building....everyone noticed."

It ought to be illegal for a woman built like that to dress like that. It's a safety issue. I could have really tore something up.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #77
txtradesman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

my Dad and his friends took for me a round a golf when I was 5 yrs old

I drove the golf cart into the pond at Babe Zaharias golf course and sunk it
txtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #78
txtradesman
Ten Point

I knocked over a neighbors mailbox one time.. I told him what happened and offered to pay for it, he said nah dont worry about it. He built a new mail box and I knocked it over again the very next day
txtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #79
okrattler
Pope & Young

When I was a kid I did a lot of stupid stuff. Well....I still do but not as bad. I almost burnt the shed down after I lit a plastic bucket on fire and threw an aerosol can in it. Shot windows out with a bb gun...cars and houses both. Stood on the side of the highway and hit cars with snowballs when they went by....stuff like that.

When I was about 16 me and my buddies went and played paintball. On the way home we had a competition to see who could hit the most equipment and barrels they put out during road construction. While guys were still working......I don't remember who won.

Last edited by okrattler; 12-07-2017 at 09:19 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #80
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtradesman View Post
my Dad and his friends took for me a round a golf when I was 5 yrs old

I drove the golf cart into the pond at Babe Zaharias golf course and sunk it
Man I could name several stupid things done at that golf course!
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #81
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Just over 12 years ago my younger brother and I decided we wanted a New Years "adventure" So we loaded up our Pirogues and took off for the lake. Oh yeah, it was Jan 1 and daytime high was mid 30's with a stout North wind. By the time we really realized we had screwed up, we started for the nearest bank, tied together so one could bail water while the other paddled like crazy. We ended up walking the boats in for the last 100 yards. By the time we made the truck our pants were froze pretty solid. He, at leas,t had a wet suit on under his clothes... Not Me.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #82
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Popped the end of my pinky off with a rope pulling big weeds with my 4 wheeler
Not sure why I felt the need to hold the rope since it was tied to the four wheeler.
Rope got caught in the axle before I knew what was happening I broke 2 fingers and popped part of one off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #83
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

I'll give one more archery related. Younger brother again. We were shooting rabbits with our bows in the cow pasture. I was carrying a few and we were a couple hundred yards from the fence. I looked across the field to see the longhorn bull coming on full speed, I turned to my brother, and he was already halfway back, and had said nothing to me. Not sure why I did not drop the rabbits, but I held tight and made for the fence. For an old bull he was a lot faster then I had considered and he "helped" me over the fence. I landed in a pile on the ground rabbits, bow and all. Brother laughing his arse off. A few years back that old brute finally died. My brother has his skull on the front porch, and every time I come over he looks at it and starts laughing again...
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #84
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
Not until after I retire.....

Yep
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #85
Archery1st
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Tx / Lampasas County, Tx / Union County, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krivoman View Post
Check the oil level in a generator that is running while wearing crocks and shorts with no shirt.. that was fun..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
LOL! I have a perfect vision of how that went!
No matter how good your mental image...you should have seen it in person! Mitch looked like he had been buttered head to toe!! LMAO!
Archery1st is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #86
TxnRunner
Eight Point

Well the guys shooting in blinds and trucks with the muzzle inside reminded me of this one. While doing some training my team leader, another guy, and myself were riding in a steel door hmmwv at night, on nvgs, I had a 249 SAW and was in the back seat. We were "ambushed" from the side of the road and I immediately threw the 249 up in the window and began to rip (blanks). We were all blinded (nvgs washed out) and temporarily deaf even with our Peltor headsets on. Team leader made me ride in the bed the rest of the night using a sling to strap me against the cab so I could rest the SAW on the hood.
TxnRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:12 PM   #87
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Deny deny deny till the day I die!
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:33 PM   #88
Lawhunter
Eight Point

Lol
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:20 PM   #89
cattlelackranch
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas and Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstalker92 View Post
When i was a kid i used jump out of my dads pick up truck while he was driving and see if i could keep running. 10 mph... easy 15 mph lil tough... 25mph... instant wipeout

Your dad is awesome!
cattlelackranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #90
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Shot at a hog almost directly under my ladder stand. Forgot the bottom wheel on my bow was right next to the side of my knee because of the steep angle. Still got the scar, it punched a quarter size whole there.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 07:50 AM   #91
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
Last Summer I was pulling into a gas station in New Mexico with one of my buddies and let's just say a good lookin female was walking across the parking lot and I got distracted and smashed into a metal pole that prevents people from driving up onto the sidewalk or in to the side of the store going 35 miles an hour. You talk about coming to a sudden stop in a hurry......I thought I had whip lash....either from that pole or whipping my head around to look at that woman in her Summer time attire. My buddy sunk down in the seat and said "We're not going in after that are we?" I said "Of course we are. She didn't notice." He looked at me and said "We almost drove through the building....everyone noticed."

It ought to be illegal for a woman built like that to dress like that. It's a safety issue. I could have really tore something up.
No is should be illegal for women built like that NOT to dress like that.......

While I did not wreck a truck I remember my freshman year at A&M. The first really nice spring day all the girls were in shorts. One walked out in front of me right outside of my dorm and she was the definition of perfect. I don't remember starring but the next thing I knew I was in front of the library which is all good and well except I had an Ag Science class across the tracks about 2 miles away.......

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 09:00 AM   #92
Filletem
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca/Hardin Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post

I tried to move one of those poles also. You are right a truck wont budge those pipes they are tough. A 5 mph impact on one of those hurts.
Filletem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #93
Bullydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson / Throckmorton
Default Fess up, we all know you have done something Stupid

So many. And like TVC I'll tell some good ones when I retire.

A few years back on Christmas morning, after presents were all handed out. I wanted to show my boy a couple "tricks" on his new BMX bike. (I raced them when I was young) so I was still an expert, or so I thought. So, I take off, couple of bunny hops and one bar spin I was back on top of my game. Until, I decided to do one more, right in front of about 7 kids and 5 adults who were out front watching.

I combined a quick bunny hop, with a bar spin. Daum defective front wheel decided not to spin all the way. Up over the bars I go and face first into the sidewalk. I would have laughed with them if it didn't hurt so dang bad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #94
limbbender
Four Point

BB guns,pellet guns,real guns,pocket knives, magnifying glass,slingshots,darts,bows and arrows,spears,mud ball fights,firecrackers -enough stories to make a book.Growing up in the 60s it is amazing that I still have both eyes and all of my fingers, but lots of scars.It was GREAT!!!!
limbbender is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #95
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filletem View Post
I tried to move one of those poles also. You are right a truck wont budge those pipes they are tough. A 5 mph impact on one of those hurts.
They're pretty stout. I about ended up on the dashboard. My buddy gets embarrassed really easily so he was mortified. Me.......uhhhmmm....not so much. I went inside and that little lady was standing there paying for gas. I said "Hi, how's it goin?" She had a big smile on her face.....Pretty sure it wasn't because she was happy to see me either. Everyone's eyes were on me. I felt so popular.ahahahahahahaha
Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #96
jshouse
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepht View Post
lmao
Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #97
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

My list is long.

But the worst is I bought a Ford not once but twice...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #98
jshouse
Ten Point

the day of my first dance in 6th grade I went to my cousins house after school to mess around for a few hours before we buttoned up the rayon shirts and Z Cavaricci's. we rode bikes over to one of our friends house, he was on his bike and I took my older cousins homemade bike, it was pieced together from a bunch of different bikes they had gone through over the years. while smoking my cousin on the race back to his house, I went to pull a lil wheelie over on of the pot holes in the rock road so as to not have to slow down and lo and behold, the front wheel goes flying off. the forks dug in and my face broke my fall on the white rock road. so I got to go my first middle school dance with a face full of scab.

at least it didn't break any teeth, that would come later diving in basketball practice.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #99
texaspacker
Four Point

Hunt In: Take me with you!
Default Oh man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
After getting a headache reading the "Tree stand accident thread"

Here is a wonderful thread to fess up on stupid things that you have done, or just bad choices..

Example: Big ole fire burning outside you have the awesome idea to toss that old dresser into it and let it burn, yeap ya forgot about all those handgun rounds rolling around in it...yeap, that left a mark...
Here's your sign. DDDD

Last edited by texaspacker; 12-08-2017 at 11:00 AM..
texaspacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #100
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Man I have plenty of them........

Once moving cows on 4 wheelers we had some bust a fence and through a creek so we were hurrying around to head them off. Pulled up to the gate that my boss was opening and he decided to open it towards us instead of the other way. I hastily put it in reverse to back up and slammed the gas. Only problem is I wasn't in reverse, slammed into the gate which went directly into his face. Scared the **** out of me as I figured I had at least broken his nose, he chewed my *** a little but all was good.

Another time working on something boss sends me to the barn to grab a tool. I parked the truck and got out left the door open and run inside. While inside I thought I heard someone ringing the big iron bell hanging off a post out front then a crash. Run out to find the ranch truck with the door almost ripped off and the back crashed into my truck. I apparently didn't get the ranch truck all the way into park and the vibrations of the diesel was enough to bounce it back into reverse. Open window caught the bell perfectly and ripped the door nearly off.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top