Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 12-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
texaspacker
Four Point

Hunt In: Take me with you!
Default 7MM Remington or 280 Remington ammo?

Hello experts or maybe not?
I just bought a Remington 700 7MM Remington Express/ 280 Remington.
Should I buy 7MM Rem. or 280 Rem. ammunition?
Are they the same or this is a mute point?
Or is it kinda sorta like the 223 out of a 556x45 dilemma? You can shoot 223 outa a 556x45 or is it vise-versa?
SORRY I even mentioned the 223 VS 556 I was trying to bring a little humor into the conversation. Like my ol' lady says. "Nobody understands your sense of humor."
Or am I talkin' out my back side?
I'll admit it. I am not a firearm aficionado or gun guru by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just another gun guy trying to learn "stuff" from bow hunter so that proves I ain't the sharpest shovel......
God bless America!
Semper fi.
BRJ
ANY OTHER INPUT WILL BE GREATLY APPECIATED?

Last edited by texaspacker; 12-05-2017 at 04:29 PM..
texaspacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.
Default 7MM Remington or 280 Remington ammo?

7mm rem express is same as the .280 rem. You will need to buy .280 rem ammunition.

The 7mm express Remington is just another name for the .280 rem.

On a side note do you know the age of the rifle? I am betting it is up there as I dont think they have stamped 7mm express rem on them in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by westtexducks; 12-05-2017 at 03:49 PM..
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

yeah...sign me up too. If that gun is all original it would be cool to see it / date it
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

Texaspacker see the answer to the post you piggybacked on last night. It is detailed and correct.

.280 Remington is the original and current name for the 7mm Remington Express. They are identical; they are the same thing. 7mm Remington by itself means nothing.

.223 and 5.56x45 are not the same thing. The dimensions are slightly different, and there is no standardized pressure for the 5.56x45. You can shoot .223 ammo in 5.56x45 chambers; you cannot shoot 5.56x45 ammo in .223 chambers. Actually, it will chamber, but you may have a pressure problem, or you may not.

LWD
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Actually, it is a moot point concerning the ammo. You won't find ammo labeled 7mm Rem Express unless it under a shelf or in a closet in somebody's garage. The proper ammo will be .280 Rem., not to be confused with any of the 7mm magnums.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #6
DarrellS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone and Mills Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
yeah...sign me up too. If that gun is all original it would be cool to see it / date it
I had one that was 95%+. Called Remington and talked with a lady. They were only stamped 7mm Express for 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
DarrellS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #7
texaspacker
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
7mm rem express is same as the .280 rem. You will need to buy .280 rem ammunition.

On a side note do you know the age of the rifle? I am betting it is up there as I dont think they have stamped 7mm express rem on them in a long time.

Serial # is B868653 then stamped in/on the barrel 7MM EXP. REM and about 3/4 inch to the right it's stamped 280 REM. The other 700s I've seen on Buds Gun Shop & such have 24-26 inch barrels. This 700 has a 21" barrel plus it was tapped for front & rear iron sights. If the barrel was shorten the holes for the front sight are about 1" from the end of the barrel. Plus if someone did cut the barrel down they did a fantastic job.
If you have a 700 in 7MM/280 Rem. do you have a fav-O-rite "factory" ammunition that you would recommend to start off with or should I invest in reloading/ loading my own from the get go?

Last edited by texaspacker; 12-05-2017 at 04:12 PM..
Old 12-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
texaspacker
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWD View Post
Texaspacker see the answer to the post you piggybacked on last night. It is detailed and correct.

.280 Remington is the original and current name for the 7mm Remington Express. They are identical; they are the same thing. 7mm Remington by itself means nothing.

.223 and 5.56x45 are not the same thing. The dimensions are slightly different, and there is no standardized pressure for the 5.56x45. You can shoot .223 ammo in 5.56x45 chambers; you cannot shoot 5.56x45 ammo in .223 chambers. Actually, it will chamber, but you may have a pressure problem, or you may not.

LWD
Yes sir I knew that I was just screwing around as far as the 223 VS 556 but the 7MM/280 REM dilly I was serious as a heart attack?

Last edited by texaspacker; 12-05-2017 at 04:17 PM..
Old 12-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
Bloodtracker
Four Point

Hunt In: HILL COUNTRY,SOUTH TEXAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspacker View Post
Serial # is B868653 then stamped in/on the barrel 7MM EXP. REM and about 3/4 inch to the right it's stamped 280 REM. The other 700s I've seen on Buds Gun Shop & such have 24-26 inch barrels. This 700 has a 21" barrel plus it was tapped for front & rear iron sights.
If you have a 700 in 7MM/280 Rem. do you have a fav-O-rite "factory" ammunition that you would recommend to start off with or should I invest in reloading/ loading my own from the get go?
I have been shooting a Remington .280 since 1999. After some trials with stock ammo, the best shooting bullet is the Remington 140 grain. If you can load your own, I can only imagine how tight you could get it. I also have a TC Encore in .280. This gun likes the Federal 150 grain bullets the best. I would start with the Remington's first if you are planning to shoot ammo off the shelf. Good luck, Great gun!
Bloodtracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
texaspacker
Four Point

Default I was goofin on the 223 VS 556 subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWD View Post

LWD
I buy my ammunition from sportsmanguide and the sell 7MM & 280 Remington ammo. I was just asking if one might be "gooder" than the other?
Old 12-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #11
texaspacker
Four Point

Thank you Blood! I don't know if you may have seen my post but sportsmansguide sells 7MM & 280 Remington ammunition. So I'm sayin to myself "I don't get it, man!?"
Old 12-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #12
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Quote:
Serial # is B868653 then stamped in/on the barrel 7MM EXP. REM and about 3/4 inch to the right it's stamped 280 REM.
my Rem 700 Historical book with SN's doesn't even list a "B868652" You sure it's not an A68153*** serial number. Pretty sure they were made in 79/80 for < 2 yrs. Around this same timeframe, Remington released a 7mm-06 stamped barrel (pretty rare) and quickly changed the stamping to 280 Remington.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #13
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.
Default .

I'll post up a picture for my much older brother here. The gun came with a leupold vx II 3x9x40 on it. I think he got a really good deal on this set up. I think he needs to gift it to his much younger and handsome brother. If he sends me more pictures I will post em up.
Attached Images

Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #14
texaspacker
Four Point

Default Serial # B6868653 I'll try & find out year it manufactured.

Quote:

Someone else said they stamped it for two years this way. I think they said 1991?
Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #15
texaspacker
Four Point

Default Your trippin' out on cream filled centers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
I'll post up a picture for my much older brother here. The gun came with a leupold vx II 3x9x40 on it. I think he got a really good deal on this set up. I think he needs to gift it to his much younger and handsome brother. If he sends me more pictures I will post em up.
Yes thanks to my brother and TBH members everywhere for their muchly appreciated super duper expertise and opinions.
PS: I'm the looker and the chicks dig me!
Old 12-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #16
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico

I have been wanting a .280 for years. I have never heard of a 7mm Rem Express. Learned something new I guess.
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #17
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

B6868*** was made in May 1987

according to my book, barrels were marked 7MM EXP REM 280 REM , 22" barrels and quite a few rifles were done in camo
Old 12-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #18
kmon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

If I remember correctly the early 80s is the time frame and post above could be correct for the short manufacture if the 7mm Express of 79-80 I was thinking 81-82 as a college roommate wanted one in 82.

The 7mm-06 differs from the 280, Remington discovered that the 7mm-06 would chamber in some 270 rifles and fire so with the 280 the shoulder is moved a little forward to keep this from happening. Winchester paid no attention to this finding when they were bringing out the 7mmWSM until almost market time when they went back and did the same with the 7mmWSM to make it a little longer to avoid it being shot in a 270. Both instances would result in very high pressures.

For the rest see posts here and in the piggyback thread
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #19
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Actually, it is a moot point concerning the ammo. You won't find ammo labeled 7mm Rem Express unless it under a shelf or in a closet in somebody's garage.
Actually mine is in the 7mm section of my ammo shelf.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #20
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_smith View Post
I have been wanting a .280 for years. I have never heard of a 7mm Rem Express. Learned something new I guess.
Remington's stupid poor marketing ruined it, just like Big Green did with the 244 Remington and 5mm Magnum
Old 12-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #21
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
I buy my ammunition from sportsmanguide and the sell 7MM & 280 Remington ammo. I was just asking if one might be "gooder" than the other?

Those are going to be mag cartridges that will not fit. Buy .280 ammo that is the only commercially available ammo that will work out of that gun

westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #22
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Quote:
Those are going to be mag cartridges that will not fit. Buy .280 ammo that is the only commercially available ammo that will work out of that gun

If the OP cannot get this clear in his head, he's gonna be sorely disappointed
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #23
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

I have two boxes of higher end federals for the .280 that I'll send you if you want em.

And listen to what's been said. The Remington .280 IS a 7mm bullet but a 7 mm MAG, will not work. The 7mm express thing was an old marketing folley, all it basically boils down to is that you're particular gun is an older model... it IS a .280 Remington.
SwampBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #24
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
If the OP cannot get this clear in his head, he's gonna be sorely disappointed
He knows the difference for sure

Thanks, Blake for your findings
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #25
db@100
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampBuck View Post
I have two boxes of higher end federals for the .280 that I'll send you if you want em.

And listen to what's been said. The Remington .280 IS a 7mm bullet but a 7 mm MAG, will not work. The 7mm express thing was an old marketing folley, all it basically boils down to is that you're particular gun is an older model... it IS a .280 Remington.
If you are looking to send someone those .280's I'll take them. My 7mm Express will love them!
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #26
db@100
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
If you are ever in Spring, come by and I'll show you a Rem. 700 with the "7MM Express" stamped on it.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #27
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

Here's the ammo made specifically for that model. I don't have the gun but can use it in my 280.

If I remember correctly the idea behind this was to load the .280 to it's fullest potential. Remington had made some autoloaders and pump .280's that couldn't hand the pressure that a bolt gun could. So they named the new guns 7mm Express Remington. These may be loader a little hotter than regular .280. That's why the .280AI is a kick *** cartridge while the factory .280 is ho hum.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #28
kmon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Here's the ammo made specifically for that model. I don't have the gun but can use it in my 280.

If I remember correctly the idea behind this was to load the .280 to it's fullest potential. Remington had made some autoloaders and pump .280's that couldn't hand the pressure that a bolt gun could. So they named the new guns 7mm Express Remington. These may be loader a little hotter than regular .280. That's why the .280AI is a kick *** cartridge while the factory .280 is ho hum.
I have read that and never understood it. Those same rifles are chambered in the 30-06 and 270 Winchester which have higher pressure levels than the original 280 specifications were. Logic they used does not compute in my head. Never saw it explained either.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #29
texaspacker
Four Point

Default Yes sir I'll take them.

[quote=SwampBuck;12988208]I have two boxes of higher end federals for the .280 that I'll send you if you want em.

And listen to what's been said. The Remington .280 IS a 7mm bullet but a 7 mm MAG, will not work. The 7mm express thing was an old marketing folley, all it basically boils down to is that you're particular gun is an older model... it IS a .280 Remington.[/QUO
Hello Grant
Sure I'll take them. I love FREE but I do want to make it worth your while somehow. Any caliber of ammunition you looking for I have most "normal" ammo & some weird ammo. 41 magnum? How about some 7.62x54R????? Brick of 22LR????
PM me your contact information please. I prefer to talk on the phone but for free I'm flexible.
I'm in no hurry if you ain't.
God bless!
Semper fi.
Barry
Old 12-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #30
texaspacker
Four Point

Default Yes sir I'll take it!

Quote:

I gotta figure out how TBH site works. I wrote a reply but it's at the bottom so I'll try again.
Gr... please PM me with your contact information.
Thank you and God bless!
semper fi.
Barry
Old 12-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #31
texaspacker
Four Point

I must be computertarded?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #32
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Sent you a message (pm)

Don't sweat the computer, these sites can be a pain to get used to at first.
SwampBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #33
texaspacker
Four Point

Default Yeah it's strange?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmon View Post
I have read that and never understood it. Those same rifles are chambered in the 30-06 and 270 Winchester which have higher pressure levels than the original 280 specifications were. Logic they used does not compute in my head. Never saw it explained either.
Yes sir I think I agree? Uuuuuh as I understand it??? Which don't mean diddly squat. 7MM rem.,280Rem,270Winchester,6.5 Benedus? some kind of Masseur and a few other cartridges that I forgot now. Seem to all be a 30-06? cartridge that have been modified in some meniscal way
God bless!
Semper Fi.
Barry
PS My brain hurts?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #34
texaspacker
Four Point

Default Good cause I suck at it

Quote:
Sent you a message (pm)

Don't sweat the computer, these sites can be a pain to get used to at first.
But I don't wanna come off as a complete moron. Ooops too late
Old 12-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #35
texaspacker
Four Point

Default Now there is a 280 Rem AI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmon View Post
Oh man an AI?
Old 12-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #36
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

I bought a 7mm Express when they 1st came out, great shooting gun. Let my son borrow and it wound up stolen.
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top