Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #51
Buff
Pope & Young
 
Buff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: AvingerTX
Hunt In: The World
Default

Old Sabine Bottom (WMA)
Phone: (903) 881-8233
Fax: (903) 882-9093
Address:
21187 CR 4106
Lindale, TX 75771


I have not hunted this place in 20 years but when I was young (broke) i hunted it several years.
took a deer every year and lots of hogs
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #52
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Coke/Water Valley, Navarro Co
Default

Here is another thought, The MIL and FIL feel you only come out to enjoy the place and you don't pull your weight with the "chores", which you admit. Friend says hey I'll hook you up with pest control and help you out around the ranch if you don't mind me hunting. So far the friend has only worked on his hunting stuff. The MIL is getting the feeling you are upset at the situation. The FIL calls your wife and expresses his interest in you going down to the ranch to make a true contribution to the ranch not just for your personal gain and pull your wait. And you are upset that they don't want to give you the goods for free?
Sounds to me the FIL is giving you a way back to the #1 seed in the hunting order. If it were me and I couldn't afford another hunting property then I would pack up and be down there bright and early and work until they said stop. I wouldn't even mention the hunting situation at this time. I would show that I am willing to pull my weight in the "family" like everyone else to enjoy the property.
You have two options, pay for your hunting with hot in the sun manual labor or cash somewhere else. Just because you married into the family doesn't automatically entitle you to anything.

Just my .02, and how I was raised. Hopefully this sheds light in a different direction for you. Wasn't meant to be a bash. Also I wouldn't put your wife in the middle, it will only create tension. Put your boots and gloves on and go fix the situation yourself, He is giving you the opportunity.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #53
Briar Friar
Ten Point
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
Honestly, I would just give the FIL a call and talk. Just tell him exactly what is going on and tell him how you feel in a calm and relaxed manner. Communication is key.
I agree. To be direct and not rude... it appears that a lack of direct communication between you and your FIL is perpetuating your woes.

Free hunt land is free hunt land. You cant eat antlers. Keep your spot...Slay a mess of does and sling cat poop under the feeder after your done...bucks might not want to come around after the punnani has disappeared come rifle season and the area smells of blood, guts and cat scat.

I get the distinct feeling that your wife and FILs wife dont jive very well.

Good luck.
Briar Friar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #54
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point
 
LiftAndShoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Arlington
Hunt In: Kaufman County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Here is another thought, The MIL and FIL feel you only come out to enjoy the place and you don't pull your weight with the "chores", which you admit. Friend says hey I'll hook you up with pest control and help you out around the ranch if you don't mind me hunting. So far the friend has only worked on his hunting stuff. The MIL is getting the feeling you are upset at the situation. The FIL calls your wife and expresses his interest in you going down to the ranch to make a true contribution to the ranch not just for your personal gain and pull your wait. And you are upset that they don't want to give you the goods for free?
Sounds to me the FIL is giving you a way back to the #1 seed in the hunting order. If it were me and I couldn't afford another hunting property then I would pack up and be down there bright and early and work until they said stop. I wouldn't even mention the hunting situation at this time. I would show that I am willing to pull my weight in the "family" like everyone else to enjoy the property.
You have two options, pay for your hunting with hot in the sun manual labor or cash somewhere else. Just because you married into the family doesn't automatically entitle you to anything.

Just my .02, and how I was raised. Hopefully this sheds light in a different direction for you. Wasn't meant to be a bash. Also I wouldn't put your wife in the middle, it will only create tension. Put your boots and gloves on and go fix the situation yourself, He is giving you the opportunity.
Kactus - I hear what you're saying and don't disagree. But, you're also making the point I failed to make in my original post, probably because I was upset.

Here's the thing. I'm not actually mad that someone who provided a good or service to my FIL is now getting 'top spot.' I mean, I could be mad, but that'd be childish. What I'm upset about with regard to the whole thing is that, apparently, a new 'ok you have to earn it' system was installed without anyone telling me. If they had said, 'hey Miles, look, we don't have that many deer we want killed and some other folks want to hunt. You're family and we'd like to let you have first crack, but they're really working hard...' I'd have been down there in a heartbeat.

I've always understood that I have no rights on the property, I only get the privilege of hunting. It can be yanked at any time. My problem is that this situation was sold to me as 'fair.' And, 'fair to the property owners and the new guy' is not an adequate definition of fair if I'm being looped in. Now, hold on everyone - life's not fair, I get that. Not my point. I'm saying someone specifically said the words to me, 'he did all this work, so it's fair.' That doesn't make sense, because it assumes I actively chose to not do work or earn my keep while assuming that I was entitled to something. That's just...not the case. So, I'm not trying to stomp my foot and whine and say I didn't get my way. I'm saying I'm getting my leg p****d on and someone is telling me it's raining.
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #55
TXDraht
Spike
 
TXDraht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lampasas, TX
Hunt In: Crockett/Schleicher County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Here is another thought, The MIL and FIL feel you only come out to enjoy the place and you don't pull your weight with the "chores", which you admit. Friend says hey I'll hook you up with pest control and help you out around the ranch if you don't mind me hunting. So far the friend has only worked on his hunting stuff. The MIL is getting the feeling you are upset at the situation. The FIL calls your wife and expresses his interest in you going down to the ranch to make a true contribution to the ranch not just for your personal gain and pull your wait. And you are upset that they don't want to give you the goods for free?
Sounds to me the FIL is giving you a way back to the #1 seed in the hunting order. If it were me and I couldn't afford another hunting property then I would pack up and be down there bright and early and work until they said stop. I wouldn't even mention the hunting situation at this time. I would show that I am willing to pull my weight in the "family" like everyone else to enjoy the property.
You have two options, pay for your hunting with hot in the sun manual labor or cash somewhere else. Just because you married into the family doesn't automatically entitle you to anything.

Just my .02, and how I was raised. Hopefully this sheds light in a different direction for you. Wasn't meant to be a bash. Also I wouldn't put your wife in the middle, it will only create tension. Put your boots and gloves on and go fix the situation yourself, He is giving you the opportunity.
This ^
TXDraht is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #56
Fishcat91
Six Point
 
Fishcat91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Victoria Tx
Hunt In: Secret Spot
Default

Sounds like the mil has some extra courriclior activities going on.
Fishcat91 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #57
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Coke/Water Valley, Navarro Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
Kactus - I hear what you're saying and don't disagree. But, you're also making the point I failed to make in my original post, probably because I was upset.

Here's the thing. I'm not actually mad that someone who provided a good or service to my FIL is now getting 'top spot.' I mean, I could be mad, but that'd be childish. What I'm upset about with regard to the whole thing is that, apparently, a new 'ok you have to earn it' system was installed without anyone telling me. If they had said, 'hey Miles, look, we don't have that many deer we want killed and some other folks want to hunt. You're family and we'd like to let you have first crack, but they're really working hard...' I'd have been down there in a heartbeat.

I've always understood that I have no rights on the property, I only get the privilege of hunting. It can be yanked at any time. My problem is that this situation was sold to me as 'fair.' And, 'fair to the property owners and the new guy' is not an adequate definition of fair if I'm being looped in. Now, hold on everyone - life's not fair, I get that. Not my point. I'm saying someone specifically said the words to me, 'he did all this work, so it's fair.' That doesn't make sense, because it assumes I actively chose to not do work or earn my keep while assuming that I was entitled to something. That's just...not the case. So, I'm not trying to stomp my foot and whine and say I didn't get my way. I'm saying I'm getting my leg p****d on and someone is telling me it's raining.
I can see where you are coming from, but
From my point of view as a "country boy" raised on a ranch. They shouldn't have to tell yo that you have to pull your weight. It should be understood, you enjoy the family land you work on the family land.
Reading your posts I think you know that, you just weren't following through. My point is that instead of picking up and leaving, which is going to cause hard feelings in the family, buckle up and get to work. Will keep peace in the family and you'll get what you want, to hunt for free. Win Win all the way around. Will earn you some brownie points with the wife and Inlaws.

Last edited by KactusKiller; 09-15-2017 at 11:24 AM..
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #58
WItoTX
Ten Point
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Wisconsin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Here is another thought, The MIL and FIL feel you only come out to enjoy the place and you don't pull your weight with the "chores", which you admit. Friend says hey I'll hook you up with pest control and help you out around the ranch if you don't mind me hunting. So far the friend has only worked on his hunting stuff. The MIL is getting the feeling you are upset at the situation. The FIL calls your wife and expresses his interest in you going down to the ranch to make a true contribution to the ranch not just for your personal gain and pull your wait. And you are upset that they don't want to give you the goods for free?
Sounds to me the FIL is giving you a way back to the #1 seed in the hunting order. If it were me and I couldn't afford another hunting property then I would pack up and be down there bright and early and work until they said stop. I wouldn't even mention the hunting situation at this time. I would show that I am willing to pull my weight in the "family" like everyone else to enjoy the property.
You have two options, pay for your hunting with hot in the sun manual labor or cash somewhere else. Just because you married into the family doesn't automatically entitle you to anything.

Just my .02, and how I was raised. Hopefully this sheds light in a different direction for you. Wasn't meant to be a bash. Also I wouldn't put your wife in the middle, it will only create tension. Put your boots and gloves on and go fix the situation yourself, He is giving you the opportunity.
This. They threw you a bone, albeit indirectly.

As you said, it would have been nice had they just said that. But they didn't. Oh well, go get some work done for them, let them know how much you appreciated being able to hunt there for free the past few years, and move on.

After reading all the posts, if I owned the land, I probably would have done exactly what your in laws are doing. They aren't going to tell you to do work for them, it has to be a decision you arrive at on your own.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #59
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Coke/Water Valley, Navarro Co
Default

Good luck in whatever you decide to do but my advise is to stick with it and put some sweat into it, on the flip side I would start looking for alternatives in case I'm wrong
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #60
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Coke/Water Valley, Navarro Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
Sounds like the mil has some extra courriclior activities going on.
This crossed my mind as well....
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #61
Jakesfish
Ten Point
 
Jakesfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Irving
Hunt In: Young, San Saba, Cass counties
Default

L&S, I feel your pain, my inlaws have 436 acres in Montague, and it has some bad azz genetics, and I have had the ok to hunt it ONE time. Otherwise friends and family have hunted it... Sux it happened to you I wish you the best getting you a place...
Jakesfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #62
tps7742
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
I can see where you are coming from, but
From my point of view as a "country boy" raised on a ranch. They shouldn't have to tell yo that you have to pull your weight. It should be understood, you enjoy the family land you work on the family land.
Reading your posts I think you know that, you just weren't following through. My point is that instead of picking up and leaving, which is going to cause hard feelings in the family, buckle up and get to work. Will keep peace in the family and you'll get what you want, to hunt for free. Win Win all the way around. Will earn you some brownie points with the wife and Inlaws.
X2 on to enjoy the family land you work the family land. I wished I would have had your problem in my younger days. I wouldn't have to be asked to help it would have been a given.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #63
jroghogbow12
Spike
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default

good luck with everything
jroghogbow12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 05:38 AM   #64
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
I don't think I've known anyone with a free hunting spot that did more hunting than worrying. I would tell FIL, hey I'd love to go down and help work but I thought this new guy that took my hunting spot had everything handled.
I agree, i hunted my current lease for free for 15 years and i rarely shot anything because i was worried id somehow ruin this free spot. I finally told them that when the paid hunters on the other side of the ranch got off id be more than willing to lease it. My hunting has been more enjoyable since.( 12 years)
My FIL has almost 2000 acres in east Tx i can hunt anytime i want. And in 14 years i have hunted about 7-10 days total. Just dont like the idea of somehow pizzing him or my brother in law off.......which would be almost impossible
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 06:27 AM   #65
sbushee
Eight Point
 
sbushee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Hunt In: Hardeman county
Default

as someone said above, I would be appreciative of the hunting you had and find a lease
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #66
sbushee
Eight Point
 
sbushee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Hunt In: Hardeman county
Default

There's a 4000 acre bow lease in the classified section. Just north of Quanah in OklAhoma in the Classified section. Probably outstanding hunting. Should check it out
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 06:46 AM   #67
DJM
Pope & Young
 
DJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner TX
Hunt In: Mills Co,Coryell Co,Lampasas Co
Default

Here's my take..............help when needed,because it's family and forget about the hunting.If the MIL is making up rules now she'll do it in the future.For whatever reason this other guy has been given priority.That' s not going to change.

DJ
DJM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #68
ChiroHuntR
Four Point
 
ChiroHuntR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Rookie- still looking!
Default

That's a tough one. **** move for moving on your "turf" if i may but that's really disrespect to put your stand right in front of someone else's. Plus he rifle hunts - just move your stand and get out of his sight b4 accidents happen.

FIL his house his rules - if you don't like it too bad - even if they aren't thoughtful about it. I'm not trying to sound like an (__!__) but that's how things are and we got to play the hand dealt. He he chooses to do that, he kinda took the fun and enjoyment from his daughter (b/c you won't be there anymore) but that's on him.

I wouldn't budge for anything but family and is will always be first b4 friends. Just my 0.02 but I feel your pain(s).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChiroHuntR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 01:01 AM   #69
Kokanee
Six Point
 
Kokanee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington!
Hunt In: Colorado, Washington, Alberta, South Carolina
Default

No real earth shattering advice, but having been a "tenant" on in-laws property in the past, and putting countless hours in equipment service and tending land, trees and fencing, household crap, while working full time, going to school full time and raising two crazy ankle biters at the same time, the best decision I made was packing my family up and moving off the property. 20 years later we are civil, and respectful, but the line in the sand was drawn and all points made. FIL was a yes man to the MIL, and felt it better to abide by her rule, than to challenge. MIL still has the rant attitude, but my toys, my rules and she knows it. Couldn't be happier. It sucks all around to be under some one else's thumb, so best advice I have is to take your ball and go home, find a spot you have control over, or the best option of control and enjoy yourself.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 02:00 AM   #70
ArcheryAssassin
Six Point
 
ArcheryAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Primarily Public lands/& private Honey Holes
Default

Lake Whitney is prob your best bet !!! lots of deer also
ArcheryAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #71
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point
 
LiftAndShoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Arlington
Hunt In: Kaufman County
Default

Hey guys -

Wanted to post an update to this for a couple of reasons. First, y'all are all awesome. I've been able to do a lot of public land research and really increased my IQ in that regard. I've reached out to a lot of people for info about the area up here and I have some plans to start exploring it next season. Would never have gotten there without you guys.

Also, I took the advice of some folks here and did a couple of things - I cooled my heels a little bit before saying or doing anything drastic. I spoke to my FIL, and I made my frustration clear, but in a very, 'hey, I get that I'm not entitled to anything at all' kind of way. I also made myself available to help out and work - with no expectation or talk of hunting privilege - down at the property more often. We've run pipe, clear cut, tractored, dug trench - a ton of stuff, and honestly it's been fun.

Interesting development; the dude who hunts the property also apparently has not harvested his buck yet, and now it's open season on him. First to see him gets to drop him, and there's a doe available to take, too. Since I got right with the idea of only putting a doe in the freezer this year, this is nothing but good news to me. FIL is also softening up to the idea of predator harvest on the land, now that I've shown him trail cams of 'yotes, bobcats, and a couple of fawn skulls. So, things are looking up for me. I don't think it was as simple as 'do more work,' but I do think it was as simple as - do more work and be up front/honest about things.

So, again - appreciate all the sympathy and the advice, because I put it to use. The issue of the dude plopping his stand about 30 yards from mine and claiming he did a bunch of 'prep work' is still there, but..that's an issue for another time.

Take care.
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #72
MASTERS
Ten Point
 
MASTERS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South Texas
Hunt In: In the brush....
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
Yeah, the new guy is a family friend who did some pest control work for the family. When he found out that there's this big hunting property and only one other hunter, he expressed interest and was invited. Cool, fine. But, because he put a lot of work into developing his little hunting area, he somehow got bumped in front of the line. Strange, I agree.
Chalk it up to your mil's Sancho now gets to hunt your spot. Move on down the road and leave the drama behind.
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #73
Traxx
Four Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft Worth
Hunt In: Dawson
Default

Help when they ask and find your own place.
Traxx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com