Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Photography

Old 11-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad
Default Please critique

I have become interested in photography. Not sure where to start but here is a phone pic that I wish I had used a nice/fancy camera on... What say you?
Attached Images

Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
Bluetex
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River County

I like it!
Bluetex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
MetalMan2004
Four Point

Thats a cool picture. I have tried over and over to take spider web pictures with my iphone and I can never get it to focus properly. You did good getting the light at the proper angle to get the web to show up that well.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2017, 11:13 PM   #4
El Viejo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

You can't affect your depth of field with a cell phone, so a lot of the spider web is out of focus. It looks like a windy, overcast day as well, and both of those are going to affect focus. With a DSLR you're able to up your ASA and shoot at a higher shutter speed and an f stop that will give you more of the image in focus. I like the subject and how you have it set up. Good job overall!
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2017, 05:42 AM   #5
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
You can't affect your depth of field with a cell phone, so a lot of the spider web is out of focus. It looks like a windy, overcast day as well, and both of those are going to affect focus. With a DSLR you're able to up your ASA and shoot at a higher shutter speed and an f stop that will give you more of the image in focus. I like the subject and how you have it set up. Good job overall!
Thank you for the input. I was hoping for a better result. I like the pic but it does not do justice for the original. It was actually an extremely foggy day and the vegetation in the back ground would gradually disappear into the fog. The web had mist/dew and appeared to made of glass as it would catch the light. there were thousands of these all around as I walked but this one would almost take the shape of a parachute as it caught the breeze.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:49 AM   #6
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetex View Post
I like it!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
Thats a cool picture. I have tried over and over to take spider web pictures with my iphone and I can never get it to focus properly. You did good getting the light at the proper angle to get the web to show up that well.
I kind of cheated in that the web had collected the fog mist and the would refract the light and almost made the webs look like they were made of a glass string. Wish I had a real camera and knew how to use it.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #7
MetalMan2004
Four Point

I did a decent bit of photography back when slrs only used film. I have a dslr now and can use the basic functions that my old slr had but there are so many settings, menus and other stuff that its difficult to navigate.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top