Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-28-2017, 12:17 AM   #251
JB3
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: LBJ

So, I see the same thing you guys are seeing in the paper publication: antlerless is legal during archery season. But, if you look at the same publication, Texas Outdoor Annual, which is available as an app from Google Play - go to Wise County and this is the text...
"Anlerless Deer:
On USFS lands, the take of antlerless deer is prohibited except from Thanksgiving Day
through the Sunday immediately following Thanksgiving Day. Nov. 23-26."

For whatever reason, I can't post a screenshot of that page from the Outdoor Annual. Perhaps I'm too new to the forum or just can't figure out how. But if someone will download the app and confirm what I'm seeing. It is the 2017 - 2018 version that I'm looking at. Now, with that said, I would swear that this paragraph that I quoted above, was not in that app 3 weeks ago. Three weeks ago, after studying the information, I came to the conclusion that antlerless deer are legal during archery season. Now, I see this paragraph, that I don't think was there 3 weeks ago, saying the opposite. We need to get a straight answer before Saturday morning.
JB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 06:41 AM   #252
jbowman612
Six Point

Hunt In: Aubrey, TX & Public Land in TX/NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
So, I see the same thing you guys are seeing in the paper publication: antlerless is legal during archery season. But, if you look at the same publication, Texas Outdoor Annual, which is available as an app from Google Play - go to Wise County and this is the text...
"Anlerless Deer:
On USFS lands, the take of antlerless deer is prohibited except from Thanksgiving Day
through the Sunday immediately following Thanksgiving Day. Nov. 23-26."

For whatever reason, I can't post a screenshot of that page from the Outdoor Annual. Perhaps I'm too new to the forum or just can't figure out how. But if someone will download the app and confirm what I'm seeing. It is the 2017 - 2018 version that I'm looking at. Now, with that said, I would swear that this paragraph that I quoted above, was not in that app 3 weeks ago. Three weeks ago, after studying the information, I came to the conclusion that antlerless deer are legal during archery season. Now, I see this paragraph, that I don't think was there 3 weeks ago, saying the opposite. We need to get a straight answer before Saturday morning.

Save the .pdf on your phone:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...k0700_0284.pdf
jbowman612 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #253
JB3
Nubbin' Buck

I have it saved jbowman. But there's still a question about which one is correct - The Outdoor Annual Publication or the Outdoor Annual phone app. I called the LBJ District Office just a few minutes ago and they are aware of the conflict that exist between the publication and the app, but even they are struggling to get a straight answer and could only advise that I contact the TPWD. So that's what I'll do. Will update later.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #254
JB3
Nubbin' Buck

Ok guys. Here is a summary of what's going on?
There are 4 sources of information that we get our hunting and fishing regs from
1. The print version (pamphlet) of the Texas Outdoor Annual
2. The .pdf version of the Texas Outdoor Annual
3. The phone app version of the Texas Outdoor Annual, available from Google Play
4. The TPWD website
#'s 1 and 2 say this: IT IS LEGAL TO TAKE A DOE ON USFS LAND IN WISE COUNTY DURING ARCHERY SEASON
#'s 3 AND 4 say this: IT IT ILLEGAL TO TAKE A DOE ON USFS LAND IN WISE COUNTY DURING ARCHERY SEASON

These sources are in conflict with one another! So which one is correct? According to the wildlife biologist at the LBJ field office in Decatur, #1 and 2 are correct. The Print Version and the .pdf version are correct. IT IS LEGAL TO HARVEST ANTLERLESS DEER DURING ARCHERY SEASON ON USFS LAND.

Why does this conflict exist? Basically, someone in the programming department made a mistake. Someone made an entry to the phone app (#3) and the TPWD website (#4) that is in error. These errors are supposed to be corrected by tomorrow afternoon so that all 4 sources of information match.

All doe be warned - you are fair game come sunrise Saturday morning.
Happy hunting guys.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #255
ctyp3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County

Good luck out there this year guys, I don't live too far away from there if anyone needs any help, anytime just give me a shout. I had a bad time out there last year, fell from a ladder stand when I was trying to move it and tore my knee up pretty bad, and I was alone...
ctyp3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #256
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 06:29 PM   #257
troy_w_7
Six Point

Hunt In: North TX Public Land

Quote:
Ok guys. Here is a summary of what's going on?
There are 4 sources of information that we get our hunting and fishing regs from
1. The print version (pamphlet) of the Texas Outdoor Annual
2. The .pdf version of the Texas Outdoor Annual
3. The phone app version of the Texas Outdoor Annual, available from Google Play
4. The TPWD website
#'s 1 and 2 say this: IT IS LEGAL TO TAKE A DOE ON USFS LAND IN WISE COUNTY DURING ARCHERY SEASON
#'s 3 AND 4 say this: IT IT ILLEGAL TO TAKE A DOE ON USFS LAND IN WISE COUNTY DURING ARCHERY SEASON

These sources are in conflict with one another! So which one is correct? According to the wildlife biologist at the LBJ field office in Decatur, #1 and 2 are correct. The Print Version and the .pdf version are correct. IT IS LEGAL TO HARVEST ANTLERLESS DEER DURING ARCHERY SEASON ON USFS LAND.

Why does this conflict exist? Basically, someone in the programming department made a mistake. Someone made an entry to the phone app (#3) and the TPWD website (#4) that is in error. These errors are supposed to be corrected by tomorrow afternoon so that all 4 sources of information match.

All doe be warned - you are fair game come sunrise Saturday morning.
Happy hunting guys.
Thanks for clarifying! I was ready to let em fly at some does and still am apparently.
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #258
troy_w_7
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyp3 View Post
Good luck out there this year guys, I don't live too far away from there if anyone needs any help, anytime just give me a shout. I had a bad time out there last year, fell from a ladder stand when I was trying to move it and tore my knee up pretty bad, and I was alone...
Godda get that safety harness man!
Old 09-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #259
XBOW STALKER
Four Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Dang... No doubt scary
Sure am glad it's the same ol regs
XBOW STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 10:08 PM   #260
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....

Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 11:12 PM   #261
wildaggie
Six Point

All 4 sources of information about doe harvest now match. Online and app were changed this afternoon. Good luck shooting does during archery season!
wildaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #262
Brentwalkertx
Four Point

Hunt In: Lbj, caddo

Good luck to everyone out there this weekend. Wish u could join yall but goung to mexia to hunt some private land. Be safe and post pictures if you arrow something
Brentwalkertx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2017, 07:41 PM   #263
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find

Good luck to all! Iíll be at my lease, but hope to hit up LBJ before too long!

Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2017, 09:07 PM   #264
jbowman612
Six Point

Good luck to all the public land hunters tomorrow. Wish I could be at the LBJ but can't make it this weekend. Hope the buck I followed this summer is still around when I get back to North Texas. Traveling for work so I will be trying a new spot in Central Texas this weekend.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:14 PM   #265
quickstrike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missiouri, Colorado, Texas

Harvested my first turkey this evening. 3 year old bearded hen.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #266
troy_w_7
Six Point

I sat this evening. Didn't see anything. Heard a doe blowing about 100 yards from me. Yay!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #267
seminole1990
Ten Point

Hunt In: Valdosta, GA; Haskell, Tx, The H, LBJ Grasslands

I just spoke with TPWD and the official stated you CAN shoot antlerless in accordance with the OUTDOOR ANNUAL booklet for Wise and Montague counties. Page 94 and 87. (He also recognized that there was a lot confusion as stated in earlier posts.)

Good luck everyone. Looks like I will be attempting a hunt out there this month.

Question: Do any of you use a bike once you've parked? Is this a good method of transport? I use mine at Hagerman and it works perfectly. Thanks!
seminole1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #268
Rich1201
Four Point

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands

Quote:
Originally Posted by seminole1990 View Post
I just spoke with TPWD and the official stated you CAN shoot antlerless in accordance with the OUTDOOR ANNUAL booklet for Wise and Montague counties. Page 94 and 87. (He also recognized that there was a lot confusion as stated in earlier posts.)

Good luck everyone. Looks like I will be attempting a hunt out there this month.

Question: Do any of you use a bike once you've parked? Is this a good method of transport? I use mine at Hagerman and it works perfectly. Thanks!
I do not but most of my spots do not have a nice trail to ride down, especially at especially in the dark. I think it would be more of a hazard for me. If that wasn't the case though I would definitely do it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Rich1201 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #269
seminole1990
Ten Point

Thanks Rich1201

AT Hagerman I park car, then bike about 1.5 miles in (on straight road where no motor traffic is allowed), then secure the bike, and usually another .5 mile on foot. Not having been there, I'm hoping that is what LBJ is similar to.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #270
JollyRover
Nubbin' Buck

Hey all, newbie here. I've been lurking on the thread and figured it was time to join.

Hunted opening morning and had deer move by me about 30min before legal hours. I was just happy to be in the right place if just maybe at the wrong time. Later in the morning, I heard some gunshots near the entrance. Found a man who had just bought a gun doing some target shooting. Is this kind of thing something y'all see very often?
JollyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 07:43 PM   #271
JB3
Nubbin' Buck

Nice shot. This may be a dumb question, but what are the bands on the legs?
Old 10-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #272
JB3
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstrike View Post
Harvested my first turkey this evening. 3 year old bearded hen.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #273
JB3
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by seminole1990 View Post

Definitely for scouting, but not for hunting. Too much gear to tote.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #274
wildaggie
Six Point

Quote:
The bands are from a research project TPWD did in the area. This turkey was trapped and banded in 2015. She also was fitted with a radio transmitter with a gps onboard, but it fell off previously.
wildaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #275
quickstrike
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildaggie View Post
The bands are from a research project TPWD did in the area. This turkey was trapped and banded in 2015. She also was fitted with a radio transmitter with a gps onboard, but it fell off previously.
Yes that is correct after I shot the turkey I contacted the numbers and got a hold of Jennifer which is at biologist and I also contacted the game warden the bird is about 3 and 1/2 to 4 years old it was a bearded hen.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #276
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Went and sat out yesterday till dark. Had 2 groups of pigs and 8 deer, all doe and a spike, come by at 20 yards. I wanted to shoot until I realized I forgot my game cart. Ain't no way I was dragging anything that far in that heat.

I'm in no rush. I'm in a great spot that I haven't seen any other signs of humans out there.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #277
TexasBowtech
Four Point

Hunt In: Wise /montauge

Congrates in the banded turkey. I got a friend that lets her come and band them on his private place by the lbj.
TexasBowtech is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 01:38 AM   #278
DeerBySchultz
Four Point

Nice
DeerBySchultz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #279
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRover View Post
Hey all, newbie here. I've been lurking on the thread and figured it was time to join.

Hunted opening morning and had deer move by me about 30min before legal hours. I was just happy to be in the right place if just maybe at the wrong time. Later in the morning, I heard some gunshots near the entrance. Found a man who had just bought a gun doing some target shooting. Is this kind of thing something y'all see very often?
No. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't a shotgun or muzzle loader, it was illegal to be shooting on the lbj.
Ironman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #280
hogman$
Four Point

Hunt In: West texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
No. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't a shotgun or muzzle loader, it was illegal to be shooting on the lbj.

And still you find shell casings in a lot of the units

hogman$ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #281
JollyRover
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Pretty sure I heard a handgun. I only saw him with a shotgun though. He was so nonchalant that I began to suspect it was accepted practice. I dug up the fines online and saving them in case I run into that again.
JollyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #282
snubnose57
Nubbin' Buck

Default Wearing orange

When on a LBJ website, one topic was that wearing orange is required when bow hunting.
I have not been wearing orange when bow hunting. Could of sworn it was not mandatory. Must pay better attention.
Any one aware of this?
snubnose57 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #283
quickstrike
Ten Point

I believe only if there is a gun hunt you must wear orange but i may be mistaken.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:54 PM   #284
snubnose57
Nubbin' Buck

That is what I thought also.
When looking at hunting regulations at LBJ, there was a FAQ link.
That is where I saw the rule, just cannot remember exactly where on the web.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:54 PM   #285
Txbowslaughter
Six Point

Quote:
I believe only if there is a gun hunt you must wear orange but i may be mistaken.

Correct its only required during gun season.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
Txbowslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #286
snubnose57
Nubbin' Buck

Just reading the rules online.
Only turkey hunting, and migratory bird hunters are exempt from wearing orange. Cannot see a reason for orange during bow season, I need to call Decatur.
The websight also said since rabbit and sqiurrel hunting is year round onsome units ( as LBJ is ) everyone, even hikers, are required to wear orange because hunting can occur year round.
Wish I could tell how old these web sites are...
Old 10-04-2017, 08:12 PM   #287
jbowman612
Six Point

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5389544.pdf

EFFECTIVE DATE: This Order is effective September 17, 2012 until September 18, 2017, or until rescinded.

Not sure if this was extended.

Hunting or accompanying a hunter during any permitted hunting season without wearing 400 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange, with a minimum of 144 square inches visible on both chest and back and daylight fluorescent headwear.

Exceptions: 1. When hunting turkey, migratory birds, fur-bearing animals or predatory animals at night. 2. During archery season on Lyndon B. Johnson National Grassland.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...TELPRDB5292305
Old 10-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #288
seminole1990
Ten Point

Took this off TPWD Website...What You Need to Know
Public Hunting in Texas 2017-18...Hunter Orange •fails to visibly wear at least 400 square inches of hunter orange material with orange headwear and at least 144 square inches appearing on both chest and back during daylight hours at times when hunting with firearms is permitted. Exempt from these requirements are: (1) authorized department personnel and landowner employees, (2) persons hunting turkey or migratory game birds, (3) persons within the enclosed passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, (4) persons within a designated campground, designated vehicle parking area, designated boat launching facility or departmental check station, and (5) persons other than hunters on COE properties.

Notice: to archery hunters and recreational users: You must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit. Many units allow firearm hunting year-round for rabbits, and firearm hunts for squirrel and dove often are conducted concurrently with archery deer hunts.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #289
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowman612 View Post
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5389544.pdf

EFFECTIVE DATE: This Order is effective September 17, 2012 until September 18, 2017, or until rescinded.

Not sure if this was extended.

Hunting or accompanying a hunter during any permitted hunting season without wearing 400 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange, with a minimum of 144 square inches visible on both chest and back and daylight fluorescent headwear.

Exceptions: 1. When hunting turkey, migratory birds, fur-bearing animals or predatory animals at night. 2. During archery season on Lyndon B. Johnson National Grassland.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...TELPRDB5292305
This is correct. Hunter Orange is not required during archery season.

261.58(v) Hunting or accompanying a hunter during any permitted hunting season without wearing 400 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange, with a minimum of 144 square inches visible on both chest and back and daylight fluorescent headwear.

Exceptions:
1. When hunting turkey, migratory birds, fur-bearing animals
or predatory animals at night.
2. During archery season on Lyndon B. Johnson National
Grassland.

Click on the link jbowman posted and become familiar with all the Forest Supervisor's Orders. I'm guessing they have not updated the FS website.
Froggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #290
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post

Click on the link jbowman posted and become familiar with all the Forest Supervisor's Orders. I'm guessing they have not updated the FS website.
How would you know? Do you work for them?

Luv ya brother!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #291
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

No target shooting of any kind is allowed out there. No pellet, pistols, or rim fires either.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:03 AM   #292
Froggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
How would you know? Do you work for them?

Luv ya brother!
I've been retarded for 5 1/2 years. My guess was based on my on the job experience with federal gov't ineptitude.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #293
snubnose57
Nubbin' Buck

I called Decatur this morning about wearing orange, and the differences on the web sights.
The lady told me to call TPWD, as she said they make all the rules.(????)
I also asked about the Jan. 8-21 late gun season, if does were legal, and she had no idea.
I guess I will have to go on a road trip to find someone working there that knows there own rules.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #294
quickstrike
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubnose57 View Post
I called Decatur this morning about wearing orange, and the differences on the web sights.
I also asked about the Jan. 8-21 late gun season, if does were legal, and she had no idea.
I guess I will have to go on a road trip to find someone working there that knows there own rules.
The lbj forest service had nothing to do with the rules anymore tpwd handles everything this year they forest service doesn't even hand out the doe tags.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #295
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
The lbj forest service had nothing to do with the rules anymore tpwd handles everything this year they forest service doesn't even hand out the doe tags.

There are no doe tags handed out.
Ironman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #296
snubnose57
Nubbin' Buck

The state does not require orange for hunting at all in Texas. Whose call is it that it is mandatory for gun season? Now I am getting really confused.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #297
Froggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
The lady that normally answers the phone retired last week. I'm speculating that the new person has not had time to be trained and does not know all of the answers yet.

Click on the links jbowman612 posted above. They will answer most of your questions.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #298
Froggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
The state does not require orange for hunting at all in Texas. Whose call is it that it is mandatory for gun season? Now I am getting really confused.
The U.S. Forest Service. It's in the Forest Supervisor's Orders posted above.

There is some misinformation in post 294. The Forest Service regulates occupancy and use. TPWD and the Forest Service work together to establish the hunting regulations on FS lands. TPWD regulates the bag and size limits.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Froggy; 10-05-2017 at 04:59 PM..
Old 10-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #299
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
The U.S. Forest Service. It's in the Forest Supervisor's Orders posted above.

There is some misinformation in post 294. The Forest Service regulates occupancy and use. TPWD and the Forest Service work together to establish the hunting regulations on FS lands. TPWD regulates the bag and size limits.

Hope this helps.
For those in question, and if your wise, I'd listen to this feller ^^^, since he retired from there and wore "green jeans".
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #300
snubnose57
Nubbin' Buck

Been hunting there since the early 80's.
Just want to make sure to follow all the rules.
Hope we have JBJ for many years to come.