Pre-Rut Freestone County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txhunter817 View Post
    Anyone having any luck in Freestone this year? We were seeing a lot and then last weekend, it stopped abruptly. The acorns are dropping everywhere, but we've also seen some bucks pushing does. Just curious what others are seeing. Also it's been really hot the last week and then full moon this weekend.
    In south freestone county Bucks are still running together. Light sparring going on but not enough to break up the groups. Had 7 bucks within 20 yds of me at the same time yesterday evening. They ranged from a spike to a 10pt. They're still hitting the feeders, but are eating more acorns by the day. I have more deer during the day than at night, including the bigger bucks.

Comment

Yeah the rut starts mid October in Freestone. Almost all of the big bucks have been taken during archery season on our ranch. Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. Bullseye sounds like your hunting is still good at the moment. I think I'm heading into the woods next weekend. Our seem to be hitting feeders mostly at night right now.

Comment

Come on Friday

Comment

Week before Halloween was always good on my place in Freestone.

Comment

I'm in northwest Anderson county. Pre rut has always been the last two weeks of October, with rut being the first week of November. It's been that way for 40 years at our place. Those three weeks are generally the best, with the last week of season being a good week as well.

Comment

21st thru 27th October are usually my best days to go. Have not set in my killing tree yet but this could be the best weekend coming up. Last year didn't hunt until last weekend of bow season. Saw a huge buck tending a doe. Gave me a 40 yard broadside but refused to take it. Killed a nice 10 pt. 15 minutes into the opener gun season next weekend. Cold weather outlook for next week shood really break things loose!

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter817 View Post
                Yeah I'll give it a go because you just never know. He was coming regularly until recently. 140 is pretty nice for the area. I think the one I'm after will break 150, but won't know unless I can ground check him.

140 is pretty nice for anywhere, lol. The tract of land he shot the deer is back behind FF lake. 140's are not uncommon and several 150's have been seen/shot over the last several years. I hope you get a chance on the one you are targeting.

Comment

Thanks Texan. Yeah I know 140 is good anywhere. I didn't word that correctly. I meant that's a big buck for the area as to where 160 is big in other parts of the state. I didn't explain it like I was thinking..lol. Yeah we are in the same boat with quality. We've had 3 bucks killed on our place or touching neighbors that were over 160. 140s and 150s are the more realistic bucks if we are patient. If you have a pic of the 140s buck, would you mind sending it in a pm. I like to see big bucks from our area.

Comment

Got this dude yesterday evening approximately 1 mile south of the freestone county border.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Congrats. That bruiser has some mass on him. Nice tall rack too. Awesome buck brother. I love those brow tines.

Comment

I saw a video of a buck breeding a doe a few days ago near fairfield.

Comment

Trail cams are crazy slow on deer action. Tons of pigs, only one buck and he was just cruising by and I don't think he ate. I didn't realize the rut was so early over there, first real season to hunt it. A few does with dawns on camera right now. Stuck this dude last night right at dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Martin View Post
                            Trail cams are crazy slow on deer action. Tons of pigs, only one buck and he was just cruising by and I don't think he ate. I didn't realize the rut was so early over there, first real season to hunt it. A few does with dawns on camera right now. Stuck this dude last night right at dark.

One good thing about hunting around here is that you ALWAYS have a good chance at seeing freakin pigs. That is a good one. Congrats..

Comment

We put up feeder pens on our place. It made a huge difference. Yeah the rut is early there. 2nd cycle is usually late October, beginning of November.

Comment

I hunt in Fairfield and our bucks are still running together. I hunted in the hot weather last weekend not much luck but my wife got a junky 3pt. Most pics are at night but there are some good bucks this year. The rut around us most of the time is the last weekend of oct till the first or second weekend of November. I am seeing no signs so far. I am guessing this weekend they should start splitting up and looking. I have hunted there for 18 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X