I Thought I was a GONER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Thought I was a GONER!

Well, I decided to go hunt a spot I had not been to since the river is really high and the deer are concentrated on the high ridges. I struck out early before daylight in case I didn't like what I saw on my way in there so I would have time to hit another spot. I pulled up to where the bank usually is and put on my hip boots, lock-on stand and backpack. Stepped out into the knee deep water and headed to the ridge. I made a circle around the back edge of the hill looking for sign. Did not see nearly the sign I was hoping so I circled and headed back out across the middle of the hill hoping to see good sign. Saw nothing impressive so I headed for my boat. I hit a bulldozed trail that bordered the river and headed south for my boat. There was about 6-8 inches of water over this path. I'm hot footing it so I can get to a different spot before daybreak when I go from walking to swimming in one step! Now I don't know if any of you have ever tried to swim with hip boots on, much less with a stand and pack on to boot but it just isn't happening. Why I didn't try to turn back I have no clue, I tried to continue across thinking it had to be just a deep hole. I turned my bow loose and paddled as hard as I could. It seemed I wasn't going to make it! I thought so this is how it's going to end....Then I thought maybe I can shuck this stand and then I could make it but decided I'd better keep doggie paddling or I'd surely go down. I made it, not sure how but I hit the other bank finally after some serious struggling. You just never know whats going to happen from one step to the next
    Stay safe my friends!

Glad it turned out for you!!

Comment

Ive done that wade fishing. Once while walking, went into DEEP water all of a sudden. Waders filled up. Scary.
      Once bailed off the side of boat, thinking water was shallow, well it wasnt. Need i say more?
      Glad you made it safe bro.

Comment

Than was close.

Comment

Dang Corey you almost became a movie star on "DISSAPPEARED".

I am glad that you are OK!!!!

Comment

any LDPs?

Comment

That was pretty intense. Glad you are okay.

Comment

glad you are alive and well!

Comment

Wow! that is scary

Comment

That gives me shivers. Been in a similar situation. Glad you made it!

Comment

Glad you're alright man! Used to hunt flooded woods off of Lake Tawakoni, and I always worried about hitting a creek or ditch like, it seems, you did. Would get scary seeing larger trees which tend to grow along the old creek banks. Luckily, never went swimming. For waders I always keep a knife in a top accessible pocket in case shoulder straps have to be cut to get free.

Comment

Dang.........death can come quickly in circumstances like that. Glad you made it.

Now I am impressed that you can do a power scout before daylight, with a stand on your back and bow in your hand....that's a first. What kind of sign was you trying to find with a flashlight?

Comment

Dang Corey !!!!

Glad you're OK.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Italianxbowuser View Post
                            any LDPs?
                            LMAO! No man it was dark

Comment

Glad you made it but did you recover your bow?

Comment

Working...
                              X