Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staying warm in the treestand on a budget.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staying warm in the treestand on a budget.

I would love to be able to afford first lite or sitka gear but I can't justify the money at this point in my life. Thought I would pull together some green screen experience on staying warm on a budget.

I'm asking about treestand or still hunting in Texas and Arkansas. I have a buddy heater and have hunted from a blind where you could go naked... I get it.... I like to chase 'em around the woods.

Do you have budget friendly brands or possibly just some tips to staying warm on the colder days of season?

Thanks in advance!

Layers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cabelas has some great base layers that are a pretty decent price. I bought some 2 years ago and cant believe I waited so long. Other than that whatever your outer layers are just make sure they are wind proof. That will help a ton.

Comment

AMazon has some good fleece lined base layers that are very warm.

Comment

What temp are you calling “cold”?

Comment

What size fella are ya?

I have some mid/late season warm stuff I was thinking about rounding up and trying to sale. All new stuff. Never worn. Had for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              What temp are you calling “cold”?
              That's a fair question. I am talking about the coldest days we face. 20s-30s

I agree with the layering suggestion and actually do have some different brands of base layers.

I would really like to find a decent wind blocker because it's usually the wind that gets me in the end.

BTW-I'm talking about long sits as well. Not just a 2-3 hour stint.

Comment

You and your snickers bar are the heater. Your job is to regulate the heat loss. That expensive stuff works not too great for me and I got rid of it all, its overrated.

If it real cold your base layer should be polartec powerdry.

My layering only includes fleece, wool is over rated except for feet, and anything with mass is a no-go.

My three rules of thumb are if it makes noise, NO and if its cold to the touch (mass) after it has been outside in the cold, NO. If it stays soggy or traps sweat, NO

If you are sitting, rubber or leather boots or any boot with mass will suck the heat out of ya.
                A cheap pair of nylon pac boots or a woman’s furry thang oversized with thin nylon socks and thicker wool socks on top make life good.

The Cabela’s stuff is good. Look for some Polartec 200 or 300 vest on ebay.

I’m outside a bunch in the winter and whether hiking, camping, or hunting, probably 4 days per week from Oct-April from Florida to Alaska and Canada.
                Last edited by Johnny44; 08-05-2020, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigOPs View Post
                  That's a fair question. I am talking about the coldest days we face. 20s-30s

I agree with the layering suggestion and actually do have some different brands of base layers.

I would really like to find a decent wind blocker because it's usually the wind that gets me in the end.

BTW-I'm talking about long sits as well. Not just a 2-3 hour stint.
                  Besides wearing a rain jacket or some sort of soft shell jacket the best thing I have is a King’s wind defender fleece jacket that is fairly windproof. Layering will help with cutting the wind as well.

If you’re anything like me I can handle being in the cold but I can’t deal with cold hands and feet. That is what will get me to head in. Since going to uninsulated boots several years ago and wearing the proper socks, as well as warm gloves, it seems to help me a lot.

Comment

Cabelas Wooltimate or Berber is the best bang for the buck in regards to warmth. A little bulky for archery IMO.

Would help to know what kind of “budget“ you are on.

Comment

Get a vest with inside pockets or a shirt with chest pockets. Hot hands then another shirt and jacket.
                      Hot hands in over all pockets.
                      I can handle a whole lot of cold with a few well placed hot hands

Comment

hot hands

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                          What size fella are ya?

I have some mid/late season warm stuff I was thinking about rounding up and trying to sale. All new stuff. Never worn. Had for a while
                          This,
                          I've gotten a lot of good cold weather gear in the classifieds

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                            Besides wearing a rain jacket or some sort of soft shell jacket the best thing I have is a King’s wind defender fleece jacket that is fairly windproof. Layering will help with cutting the wind as well.

If you’re anything like me I can handle being in the cold but I can’t deal with cold hands and feet. That is what will get me to head in. Since going to uninsulated boots several years ago and wearing the proper socks, as well as warm gloves, it seems to help me a lot.
                            My feet are my problem as well. What socks do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                              My feet are my problem as well. What socks do you use?

I found some merino wool socks by a company called meriwool. That with some insulated neoprene boots keeps my feet pretty warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X