Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 02-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba
Default Welfare reform

What does everyone think? It's a baby step in the right direction. It should be a lot harsher IMO

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tr...tep-2018-02-12

Either way this will get interesting.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

The masses are gonna revolt when they can't buy junk food with that SNAP card.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
Leon County Slayer
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><

Sounds interesting but you'd certainly have to see some financials to know if it's even close to break even or saving money and providing for those in real need.
Leon County Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Is the Menu still the same?
Attached Images

Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Sounds like a great idea. I believe it would be a good guess that 80% or more of the current cards are spent on pure junk " food" and lord knows that libs are always arguing that the poor dont live in areas where nutritious foods are readily available. But, in the end the libs will scream that this plan is raciest because you are going to limit what and where the people can buy their food. More than likely the traditional getto foods like frozen pizza and snowballs will not be allowed to be purchased. And, there will be spoiled vegies all over the streets. We all know that the poor dont want their vegies
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Never gonna happen. Doesn't hurt to dream though.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

I can remember as a kid every grocery store having that one Generic Food Isle. All white packaging and black labels. That was always referred to as the welfare isle. Need to go back to those days
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

There needs to be reform. This is a step. I like that it provides American produced food. They also need to limit it to citizens only.

I heard a commercial the other day about ATT providing low cost broadband to people on the SNAP. I am sure we are paying for that too.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #9
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

American farmers are praying for this also.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #10
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Obviously welfare reform needs to happen, hopefully this is the first step in the process. I don't understand how with unemployment at an all time low this country still spend so much on welfare. Let's start by seeking out fraudulent abusers of the system and banning them from ever receiving a single penny from any and all government assistance. I know it's a dream but it is what needs to happen.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #11
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

I remember back in the day folks would get the powdered milk, blocks of cheese and other items the government would hand out. We ate a lot of it back then and was glad to get it. I see no problem with going back to that system.
doright is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #12
Txhuntr2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Great idea to reduce costs, but it sounds like it would require significant government administration and huge infrastructure.

My concern is government inefficiency making the program more expensive than planned. I do not believe the government can do anything more efficiently than the private sector. Look at the postal service, healthcare, etc. Sounds great on paper though. Hopefully they can figure it out.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #13
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by doright View Post
I remember back in the day folks would get the powdered milk, blocks of cheese and other items the government would hand out. We ate a lot of it back then and was glad to get it. I see no problem with going back to that system.
You just aged yourself.
My BIL went through this until he moved out at 18. Told me he found out his mother was the worst cook on the planet. Well he lived and prospered.....
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #14
keng
Spike

Hunt In: Ohio

I just love when people load up on junk food and pre made sammiches at a convenience store, pay with a welfare card while talking on a smart phone, with their two arms covered ink on full display. Then pull out a twenty and buy 2 packs of smokes.
keng is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #15
Outbreaker
Ten Point

I saw a lady get ****** that her EBT funds would not buy dog food. So she sent her boy to go get a couple roasts to feed him
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #16
keng
Spike

Hunt In: Ohio

when I was young my parents on a grocery store. Lady tried to buy cat food. Told her you cant buy pet food with food stamps. She went back and got tuna, said her cats like that better any way
keng is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #17
TXJIM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

The USDA published nutrition guidelines for adults and children. Participants and their dependants should receive a box once a week with enough food to meet these requirements for the week along with a book of recipes. No debit card, no check. If you want discretionary income to buy your choice of food then get a job.

Forget having the .gov administer it. Put the guidelines in place and put it out to bid, I bet Amazon could deliver better food than is being purchased by the individuals for half of what we currently spend on SNAP.
TXJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJIM View Post
The USDA published nutrition guidelines for adults and children. Participants and their dependants should receive a box once a week with enough food to meet these requirements for the week along with a book of recipes. No debit card, no check. If you want discretionary income to buy your choice of food then get a job.

Forget having the .gov administer it. Put the guidelines in place and put it out to bid, I bet Amazon could deliver better food than is being purchased by the individuals for half of what we currently spend on SNAP.
100% agree on this
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #19
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

I will preface with I know there are some families that need help with food purchases, but when I was a kid, being on food stamps was looked down upon. Now it seems to be normal and brag about how much some can get for "free" from the government. As a teenager I worked in a grocery store. People had separate cards for eggs, milk, and cheese. They also had paper vouchers for remaining food that was covered and had to pay cash for the remaining.
Welfare programs were meant to be a helping hand to get by until you could find another job, not permanent income.
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #20
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

Quote:

This is how it should be.
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #21
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:

X2

The majority of people have no issue with helping others in need. Bottom line, people on welfare shouldn't eat better than people that aren't.

I've got no problem with people in need being about to obtain basic essentials for little to no cost; i.e. rice, beans, flour, bread, milk, eggs, veggies, etc. You can live off those items; but it wouldn't motivate you to stay that way. People shouldn't be able to use a Loanstar card for steaks, processed foods, junk food, chips, etc.

The system is all messed up and the above mail type delivery would solve many issues.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #22
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Ex president's people and gov relying folks will riot in the streets if it ever goes back to how it should be
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #23
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grndchecker View Post
I will preface with I know there are some families that need help with food purchases, but when I was a kid, being on food stamps was looked down upon. Now it seems to be normal and brag about how much some can get for "free" from the government. As a teenager I worked in a grocery store. People had separate cards for eggs, milk, and cheese. They also had paper vouchers for remaining food that was covered and had to pay cash for the remaining.
Welfare programs were meant to be a helping hand to get by until you could find another job, not permanent income.
i grew up working in a grocery store and the reason the "Lonestar card" was brought about was because families would send in 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6) kids with a $1 paper food stamp and the kid would buy 1 piece of candy, getting $0.60-75 back, then momma would come in and buy a pack of Dorals with $3 in change, or daddy and his Milwaukee's Best 40oz.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #24
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Obviously welfare reform needs to happen, hopefully this is the first step in the process. I don't understand how with unemployment at an all time low this country still spend so much on welfare. Let's start by seeking out fraudulent abusers of the system and banning them from ever receiving a single penny from any and all government assistance. I know it's a dream but it is what needs to happen.
The way I understand it, the issue with unemployment figures is that unemployment only take some into consideration those without a job that are actively seeking employment. That number may decrease, but the amount of welfare recipients does not necessarily directly correlate to unemployment figures.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #25
MagicBlade
Eight Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

Love Trump and any new ideas. We need change and to look at every program in a new way!
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #26
TXJIM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Ex president's people and gov relying folks will riot in the streets if it ever goes back to how it should be
Let em riot, when they wear themselves out and go home there will be a box of food on their porch
TXJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #27
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Are you saying only black people use snap, lonestar, etc?

I see plenty of every race using it.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #28
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Sounds good... also skeptical.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #29
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty
Default Welfare reform

Right now is the perfect time to start gutting the program. We are slap in the middle of a labor crisis, any able-bodied soul without a job right now should have any benefits cut 100% tomorrow. I could hire three people today but I can't get anyone to show up and fill out an application for less than $14 an hour.

It makes my blood boil to stand in line at Walmart behind some disgusting pig that weighs 350, dragging four fat kids around, pushing a buggy full of Dr Pepper and Doritos, and pay for it all on that EBT card or whatever it is.

Mandatory birth control would be a great place to startÖ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #30
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post

He may be referring to those who voted for Obama, then again it may been a slight to blacks. I see plenty of all races using it too.

I donít care if people use it, itís the abuse and dependency that gets me.

The other side of this argument is if the private sector non profits were taking care of their communities and meeting needs there would be no cause for the govít to be in the welfare business
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #31
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:

It's a full blown white trash epidemic in Wise County, and it makes me sick.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #32
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

When people on any type of government assistance, be it welfare food stamps or whatever ,can milk the system for over $40,000 per year, then it will never change as unfortunately they are the majority in this country along with all the illegals that are doing the same and probably making more than the $40,000 per year. This is the welfare voting block and those are the liberal voter that will keep the government assistance and welfare programs going and getting larger in this country. Just look at all the numbers added to thee roles in the last 8 years. Their voting block!

It does not matter the color of the skin, they all abuse it!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #33
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Loved me government cheese and the 5lb pail of peanut butter we got as a kid growing up.

I disliked Peanut butter for many many years.
Now I like Extra Crunchy!!

Wife doesn't always like watching me eat it tho.
I'll slather about 1.5" of peanut butter on the bread. Than take me a big ole bite. Sometimes it would get stuck to the roof of my mouth and I'd have to use my finger to free it.
I remembered the butter truck and that helps out a lot.
Course to don't need much tho.
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #34
bullhead44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

cooke county as well
bullhead44 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #35
WTJim
Eight Point

Y'all are assuming a lot that the money automatically loaded on those cards will go to buying food for kids...Many times the cards are given to drug dealers while Mommy and Daddy stack up shoulder to shoulder in Motel rooms to smoke the money away the first 3 days of the month. Here's another bubble buster reality. Many "stores" will take the card, swipe it for the maximum amount, let's say $400.00, the store gets the 400.00 and they give Mommy or Daddy $200.00 cash to spend it on whatever feel good self medicating product they choose...many of y'all would shut the whole system down if you knew what the reality is.
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #36
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTJim View Post
Y'all are assuming a lot that the money automatically loaded on those cards will go to buying food for kids...Many times the cards are given to drug dealers while Mommy and Daddy stack up shoulder to shoulder in Motel rooms to smoke the money away the first 3 days of the month. Here's another bubble buster reality. Many "stores" will take the card, swipe it for the maximum amount, let's say $400.00, the store gets the 400.00 and they give Mommy or Daddy $200.00 cash to spend it on whatever feel good self medicating product they choose...many of y'all would shut the whole system down if you knew what the reality is.
This. The primary fraud, waste and abuse of EBT.
JFISHER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #37
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:

Reppin Hunt county over here. Same thing.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #38
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
i grew up working in a grocery store and the reason the "Lonestar card" was brought about was because families would send in 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6) kids with a $1 paper food stamp and the kid would buy 1 piece of candy, getting $0.60-75 back, then momma would come in and buy a pack of Dorals with $3 in change, or daddy and his Milwaukee's Best 40oz.
True, I worked in a grocery store as well and witnessed some if the same purchases. That was 44 years ago, just think how easy it is today with the snap card. Iím all for helping people in need but we need to get a handle on the abuse in the program.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #39
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bracketville, Missouri, East TX

Sounds like a deal for Walmart or HEB to deliver boxes to 40 million. Something needs to be done though.
fullsizeaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #40
CoolArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Never gonna happen. Doesn't hurt to dream though.
This. Never happen.
CoolArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #41
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

I have seen people that really need and deserve it get turned away. I can remember as a kid growing up in La seeing small family owned stores giving people 50 cents cash on the food stamp dollar so the person could buy cigarettes and liquor with the cash.

I have also seen food truck owners load up baskets of groceries, pay with lonestar, then place groceries in food trucks. Sad
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #42
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Rednecks love EBT. This could be a major blow to their culture.
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #43
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Quote:

Are you saying only black people are Ex President people and government relying folks

Last edited by Backwoods101; 02-13-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #44
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:
I used to know a guy that paid his neighbor cash for their Lonestar card at half value. He never would sell it to me for 10% more than what he paid for it
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #45
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doright View Post
Government cheese was the bomb!!! We would leave it out on the counter with a knife and eat on it all day. That powdered milk could be mixed with coco powder, powdered sugar and hot water to make some mean hot chocolate too.
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #46
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertzon Man View Post
True, I worked in a grocery store as well and witnessed some if the same purchases. That was 44 years ago, just think how easy it is today with the snap card. Iím all for helping people in need but we need to get a handle on the abuse in the program.
The owner of the store I worked at in high school always told me absolutely no candy, soft drinks or junk to be sold to the lonestar custmers. Big ole fat Betty would role in with her 5 kids and they would bring handfuls of candy up to the register and then throw a huge fit cause I would tell them I can't sell you that. I finally got to where I would just do it and didn't care if they ran out of money.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #47
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Quote:
Right now is the perfect time to start gutting the program. We are slap in the middle of a labor crisis, any able-bodied soul without a job right now should have any benefits cut 100% tomorrow. I could hire three people today but I can't get anyone to show up and fill out an application for less than $14 an hour.

It makes my blood boil to stand in line at Walmart behind some disgusting pig that weighs 350, dragging four fat kids around, pushing a buggy full of Dr Pepper and Doritos, and pay for it all on that EBT card or whatever it is.

Mandatory birth control would be a great place to startÖ

AMEN!!! Spot on Dale!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #48
ND40
Nubbin' Buck

Do you think the food retailers and manufacturers are going to let this go thru? No Way. Also lot;s of small town Grocery stores bottom line depend on customers who use the SNAP card. Should the SNAP card be harder to get and more restrictive, absolutely. But To replace it with such a pie in the sky idea is absurd.
ND40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #49
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40 View Post
Do you think the food retailers and manufacturers are going to let this go thru? No Way. Also lot;s of small town Grocery stores bottom line depend on customers who use the SNAP card. Should the SNAP card be harder to get and more restrictive, absolutely. But To replace it with such a pie in the sky idea is absurd.
Have you been paying attention for the past year, our President doesent just dabble in the absurd, he has mastered it! And at least up til this point he seems to be getting more of his absurdity DONE than not.
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #50
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Bingo. Happens all the time.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top