Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warning for users of Comfortis flea control!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if you meant that for everyone Agvet2004, but I have questions. What kind of side effects are we talking about with mixing heartgaurd and comfortis? I use the Comfortis because it's the ONLY thing I have found to control the fleas since my neighbors don't even try. What kind of dewormer/heartworm preventative can I use with Comfortis safely?

Comment

Fireguy,
      you might try going to Fleabusters.com. I went there last year and purchased live nematodes and sprayed on my backyard. Those jokers kicked arse on my flea population and didnt have a problem last year. In fact I just finished spraying my yard two days ago with nematodes. I bumped up this year and bought a pack of six million for 1/4 acre. And yes, before anyone ask, I did count them. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
        I don't know if you meant that for everyone Agvet2004, but I have questions. What kind of side effects are we talking about with mixing heartgaurd and comfortis? I use the Comfortis because it's the ONLY thing I have found to control the fleas since my neighbors don't even try. What kind of dewormer/heartworm preventative can I use with Comfortis safely?
        Heartguard and comfortis together should be fine. The problems come in when comfortis is used with higher doses of ivermectin based products. These doses are typically used to treat external parasites (demodex) and potentially the doses used when large animal ivomec is used in small animals off label. Ivermectin sensitive animals are more at risk when using heartguard combined with comfortis, which is what likely happened in the case above. What kind of dog do you have? If it is not one of the white footed breeds (collies, aussies) you should be fine.

The most common side affects from comfortis are vomiting after the first dose, reduced appetite, and diarrhea. These decrease with subsequent usage.

Comment

Originally posted by firefyter View Post
          Comfortis rep is talking with my vet they may be willing to pay for some of the tests to add to their research, it does say in the warnings about possible side effects of using both products, she apparently had one.
          Any updates?

Comment

I've got a lab mix, half lab half blue heeler, he weighs in about 80 lbs. Also have a Golden Retriever who is full blood and weighs in about 80 lbs and we have a Jack Russel who's about 25lbs.

I could deal with the loss of appetite, but the rest of it would be no bueno. We're up to a 30 lb bag of Beneful every week and a half or so. Them big dogs eat a lot, but I don't know what I'd do without them, they're like my kids.

Comment

I've got a lab mix, half lab half blue heeler, he weighs in about 80 lbs. Also have a Golden Retriever who is full blood and weighs in about 80 lbs and we have a Jack Russel who's about 25lbs.

I could deal with the loss of appetite, but the rest of it would be no bueno. We're up to a 30 lb bag of Beneful every week and a half or so. Them big dogs eat a lot, but I don't know what I'd do without them, they're like my kids.
              Since you have been using it without any problems, you should be fine with your dogs. I wouldn't expect any problems to start now.

Comment

Well, I'm using the Comfortis, but no heartworm preventative YET. I have been meaning to start a prevention plan, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Comment

Well, I'm using the Comfortis, but no heartworm preventative YET. I have been meaning to start a prevention plan, but just haven't gotten around to it.
                  PM sent.

Comment

Update ! Pup came home yesterday, she is a little weak still, but otherwise doing great. thumbs up for the vet (old school) has been my vet over 20 yrs. 700 bucks was well worth the smile on baby girls face when she came home! Thanks for the well wishes and input from everyone, especially Agvet!

Comment

Good news!

Comment

That is great news! Glad everything is improving.

Comment

Working...
                        X