Who donates to the Red Cross?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who donates to the Red Cross?

I've been meaning to look into this. Seems like every TV station etc sets up ways to donate to the Red Cross. Are they better, worse, or the same as United Way?

They push Red Cross so much it feels like they get kickbacks from donations. That or Red Cross is legit.

Red Cross is more interested in turning a profit than helping those affected.

They are denying people any help even though they had 8+ feet of water in their homes and then some that didnt even flood are getting quite a bit of money. Its happening all over. DO NOT DONATE TO THE RED CROSS.

Comment

They will not serve food or help first responders. Find a better solution for your donations

Comment

I know people who have lost absolutely everything. They were denied by the red cross for some bogus reason. They are still living in a Hotel and their kids still aren't in school as they're trying to get their lives back together... They "did not qualify for assistance"

Original reporting and compelling writing on local news, restaurants, arts and culture have made the Houston Press a vital resource for readers who want to understand and engage with their community.

Comment

Yes, do not donate to red cross. They are a scam and horrible. Did I take my $400 and run? Yes, but many friends I know that lost EVERYTHING are being denied by red cross for any type of help.

Comment

Not me.

Comment

Sadly, I have seen them in action first hand in Houston after the flood and it was pitiful.
              They are unorganized and became more of a hindrance in many instances than a help.
              I donate to local churches and organizations that are actually active in the local community.

Comment

I got almost 6' of water in my house and got denied by the Red Cross for the $400.

I will never donate to them.

Comment

Wow.. Ok.

Sad when one sees so many advertisements on TV and realizes it's a scam. I had a feeling they were no good when all the media pushes them HARD.

Comment

X2 what snack said

Comment

The sad part I see is that their people on the ground, who are mostly volunteers, are looking like idiots when they have to deal with the public. While the big wigs keep spouting off the same old rhetoric to the volunteers who go out and repeat what they're told.

I personally, and I know some of you don't trust this avenue either, donate to churches in areas that are effected by Mother Nature and tragic events. Luckily through my lifetime of contacts, I have a vast organization of contacts that I can trust to put the money to good use. I don't just pick a random church and send money. I don't know what to tell folks who are looking for somewhere to donate. Seems The Salvation Army is the one most folks use that are concerned with it being put to use helping those who are truly suffering in times such as these

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                        The sad part I see is that their people on the ground, who are mostly volunteers, are looking like idiots when they have to deal with the public. While the big wigs keep spouting off the same old rhetoric to the volunteers who go out and repeat what they're told.

I personally, and I know some of you don't trust this avenue either, donate to churches in areas that are effected by Mother Nature and tragic events. Luckily through my lifetime of contacts, I have a vast organization of contacts that I can trust to put the money to good use. I don't just pick a random church and send money. I don't know what to tell folks who are looking for somewhere to donate. Seems The Salvation Army is the one most folks use that are concerned with it being put to use helping those who are truly suffering in times such as these
                        Salvation army came by our house with snacks, shovels, gloves, cleaning supplies and buckets. Major difference between the way they volunteer and the Red Cross.

Comment

Nope. Not 'charitable' enough.

Comment

I've gotten to where I practically refuse to donate to an "organization". I get far more mileage helping out person to person with donations. Whether it's a gofundme (they're makin' serious jack) or simply paypaling...I prefer to just help out directly. Screw the deductions.

Comment

Our experience after a tornado...the Red Cross came in...took care of first responders and those that were misplaced for a few days...Sent out lots of media requesting donations.

After collecting funds, then they pick up shop and move out to the next disaster. They tell the people that are unhoused that they need to find a place to go...even says they will help them, but they leave...no help and they do not give the funds collected during the crisis at the point of the crisis...they carry those funds and donations with them. Then the real help steps up and stays to see it through.

The red cross keeps all the funds and moves to the next area.

I'm not bitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X