Pistol or revolver while bowhunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruger SP100 357 4"barrel, target sights, stainless steel

Relatively light slim and easy to carry revolver, powerful, accurate, dependable

Comment

Pistol, handgun, same brand, different flavor!! I'm surprised the "Law Experts" haven't gotten on here and high jacked this one!! Semi Auto is the way to go. More rounds, and easier to carry the extra ammo if you got it- I use a Glock, or a 1911 depending on my preference that day, and the only thing I don't change is that I take no less than 3 MAGAZINES....not "CLIPS"!!

Comment

If I'm going in after something I hit, I prefer my 629 .44 mag. If I'm worried about something coming at me, my 1911.

Comment

Whatever recommendations you get. Remember that much like a shotgun, a pistol has to fit your hand and feel natural for you to be able to shoot at your highest ability.
          Choose whatever fits you the best. I prefer a S&W Revolver or a 1911 over anything else because they fit my hand the best. I can shoot double taps with my granddad's 6 inch 629 better than I can with any semiauto, even though it's a 44.
          Just get whatever fits and feel's the best, no matter who's name is on the side of it.

Comment

I carry a G20 on my hip, especially when I'm down south

Comment

Glock 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Seacoal View Post
                Whatever recommendations you get. Remember that much like a shotgun, a pistol has to fit your hand and feel natural for you to be able to shoot at your highest ability.
                Choose whatever fits you the best. I prefer a S&W Revolver or a 1911 over anything else because they fit my hand the best. I can shoot double taps with my granddad's 6 inch 629 better than I can with any semiauto, even though it's a 44.
                Just get whatever fits and feel's the best, no matter who's name is on the side of it.
                ^ Best advance

Comment

I would carry a Springfield XD 40. It's fast, has knockdown power, and is a safe gun to carry climbin up and down stands and walking around.

Comment

I always have one of my 1911s in me in the woods. Sometimes I carry the old dirty harry 44

Comment

I have usually had a 1911 in 45 on my hip. I recently bought a Glock 41 which I may start carrying some.

Comment

my wife carries a .40

Comment

I prefer a revolver, specifically my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag with 5 1/2" barrel. I may switch to my new STI/TBH 10mm. I would not carry anything less than a .357 Mag in a revolver or a .40 cal in an autoloader. But the main thing is to carry one that you're comfortable with and can shoot accurately.

Comment

I carry a revolver. Reason is that if I get attacked by a hog and knocked down I will be placing my muzzle against the animal. If you do this w/ an autoloader, you while likely push the slide back slightly. This is called being "out of battery". What happens in this case is that the gun will likely fire one time and cause a malfunction before your second shot. Not a scenario in which I'm interested. Revolvers cannot be pushed out of battery from a contact shot since there is no slide. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by SM-Houston View Post
                              If it's a back up weapon that's to be used in a pinch I'd go with a revolver.

Reliability is the name of the game for that kind of secondary weapon.
                              I carry a Judge with first rounds home defense rounds and then 6 shot. Have rolled cylinder a few times to dispatch a rattler.

Comment

Down here a Glock 29. Nothing big enough that a 10mm isn't enough bullet for here. Up north in bear country I carry a large caliber revolver 44+.

Comment

Working...
                                X