Who is gonna practice in the rain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is gonna practice in the rain!

I did. Just to see if Im flying straight. Seems so. At 15 yds I feel confident for WT.

I took my hunting arrows and set them in a water puddle to saturate a bit. I got a nice spray upon release. I wanted to see how the yarn puffs did too. They did good. Of the two deer...both bucks...Ive harvested by wheel bow and arrow...both times there was a drizzle.

Im gonna slap on some broadheads and shoot again later today and this week. I hope the rain hangs around.

Nah I'm not going to practice in the rain. However I've killed several deer and pigs in the rain and snow over the years. That said I'm not really that mad at them any more. A rainy day is a good day to sit in a blind where I'm dry or even at camp with some Crown.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DRT; 08-07-2017, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      A rainy day is a good day to sit in a blind where I'm dry or even at camp with some Crown.

HMMMM

We may have some things in common.

Rick

Comment

If I didn't if never get to practice

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          Im gonna slap on some broadheads and shoot again later today and this week. I hope the rain hangs around.
          This is the real test. Shooting wet, laid back fetching with feild points is basically bareshaft tuning. Wet, laid back fletchings and broadheads are a different beast. Don't start at 15 when you discover this

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

It started raining here mid morning and has drizzled all day. I still shot, I just sat under the back patio and shot into the yard.

Comment

Never really did much raining here today. I do shoot in the rain and when it happens in a sleet storm as well. Like Swamprabbit said, "Wet, laid back fletchings and broadheads are a different beast."
              I have not carried the traditional bow many seasons, but I was quick to learn this one.

Comment

By the time I got home...God decided to dry up and send out the sunshine. We had somewheres between 5-6". Tomorrow Im gonna soak some broadheaded arrow fletchings in a puddle and come rain or shine...get to flinging. Ive only read once the reason why not to bareshaft tune with broadheads. Im hoping my fletchings still fletch and not the broadhead starts fletching...and my form stays formed.

Ill start at 5yds SwampRabbit. Thanks for the reminder.
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 08-07-2017, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Basically you shouldn't shoot bareshaft with broadheads... but if you want to observe/learn for yourself why... start close.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie View Post
                    If I didn't if never get to practice
                    Where youre from sounds awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      Nah I'm not going to practice in the rain. However I've killed several deer and pigs in the rain and snow over the years. That said I'm not really that mad at them any more. A rainy day is a good day to sit in a blind where I'm dry or even at camp with some Crown.
                      I like to shoot in the rain.
                      Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                        I like to shoot in the rain.
                        I spent 30 years with the water department. I've worked in the wet stuff more days than not. I can live with being wet. Not like my candy butt will melt. But it's not fun anymore.

Comment

Practice in the rain? Probably not!!!

Hunt in the rain? Most times I'll skip it because I don't like to blood trail in the rain. If I do hunt in the rain, you can bet I'll be in an enclosed blind where I can stay dry!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Well, here's my take on shooting in the rain. There's a lot to learn by shooting in the rain.

1.Wet feather fletching can make for a higher dynamic spine from excessive water soaked feather fletching.

2. A well tuned bare shaft will fly better than rain soaked feather fletching.

3. A tab or glove will likely change characteristics when soaked.

4. Goose feathers are awesome when wet, wild turkey feathers work better than production feathers.

5. If hunting in the rain a blood trail can be compromised. A good trail dog is nice to have while hunting in the rain.

6. String silencers can effect bow performance when they are soaked.

7. Shooting in rain gear can be a challenge.

8. Practice like you hunt, the backyard is the best place to find out what can go wrong.

9. I like the Aggie numbering system.

Comment

At least 8 good points there.

Comment

Working...
                              X