Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report from DB Hunting Ranch

Well I had another great time at DB!

I live fairly close so I only went for an afternoon hunt.
    I got into my stand about 3 PM and within five minutes had a beautiful Sika buck come in and stay for about 30 minutes. Of course I wasn't after a Sika, but that's how it seems to go!
    A bit later I had a few hogs come by but none presented a shot. Around 5 PM the Sika returned with another buck and I had a blackbuck doe come by. A whitetail doe started to come in but decided something didn't seem right.
    Right around 5:30 it was as if someone flipped a switch and about 40 hogs came flooding in to the feeder.
    I was trying a couple different broadheads and today was my first use of the Rage 2 blade.
    All I can say is "wow." I shot a little high and my hog went about 30 yards. (I will post pics tomorrow)
    I could have blown an entire year's salary and still not run out of hogs!! I love this place and I am planning on taking a few buddies to spend a day whacking pigs!

I've been thinking about goin to DB for a hunt. What are they're prices right now?

Comment

Still $125 for the day,but you can work a deal for an exotic doe or an additional hog.

Comment

Here are the pics of the entry hole. I know that there have been a lot of issues with the Rage two blade. This was my first animal and I did get a complete pass-through and although the shot was a little higher and back than I wanted, I got the lungs and the hog went about 30 yards.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Mattya1ic; 01-11-2010, 11:32 AM. Reason: pictures

Comment

Thanks for your report and congrats on the pork!

Comment

do they have a website

Comment

Yeah! It's www.dbhuntingranch.net.

Comment

Good to hear about your success at DB! They still haven't sent my refund they promised they would send after they stood me up. I thought they probably went out of business!

Comment

Sorry for the wait and the bad intro to what should have been a live hunt. I called Danny at DB yesterday at around noon to see if I could schedule a "meat" hog hunt sometime in the next couple of weeks. Danny told me to come on out in the evening if I wanted to and that I would be the only one on the place. I jumped at the offer and quickly got my stuff together I just got a new Bowtech AirRaid from Double G and had not shot a broadhead out of it yet, so I had to make sure it was on. I shot Slick Tricks and Montecs out to 25yds and they were on the money!! Paul helped me paper tune the bow last week, which makes a huge difference.
                  I got all of my stuff in the truck and headed out at around 3:45 and stopped at the feed store on HWY 29 on the way for some golden kernels. I got to the ranch and met up with Danny and his son Daniel right at five. They gave me the low down on the pigs and decided to put me in stand #1, which is a sweet box blind on the ground with an upright rectangular shooting window right out the front. Daniel spread the corn out while I got my stuff in the blind and then he wished me good luck and left.
                  As soon as the truck left I started to see legs back in the woods. Finally, at around 6:00, 4 whitetail deer came out and began to feed. They fed for about 15min and something spooked them. I looked behind the feeder and saw about thirty hogs coming in. They were all around 50lbs, which is perfect for eating. They were really skittish and kept running off. They came in and left three times before I could get a shot off. They finally left for good, or so I thought, at 7:00.
                  When no pigs were around the feeder deer of all types and sizes started to come out I saw blackbuck, Fallow, Sika, Red Stag, Corsican Rams, and Axis deer all at the same feeder. Heck, I even saw a Road Runner. They fed for about 20-25min and then got real spooky. All of a sudden pigs came in from everywhere All of the deer vacated the area and the pigs took over. I got ready with a slick trick and the AirRaid.
                  Five minutes went by and I still had no shot. I wanted this plump 50lb sow, but she was just not giving me a shot. Finally when they were jostling for position, she turned broadside and offered up the sweet spot. I let the pin settle behind her shoulder and loosed the string. "Swack"!!! Pefect hit right in the boiler room at 24yds. I saw blood pouring out as she ran off. The other pigs ran too, but then they started to come back. I heard the one I shot squeal a couple of times and then silence. I knew that I had one down, now to try for number two!!
                  About twenty of the original pigs piled back in on the corn. I picked out a plump brown porker, but it would never give me a shot. A larger one kept pushing them around, so I decided to shoot whichever one gave me the first opportunity. The larger black one moved out to the right away from the others and I let one fly. "Swack", I dropped him right in his tracks He was hard quartered and the arrow went in right behind his shoulder and came out of his forehead The Montec did its job well. I called Daniel at that point to come and pick me up. It was 7:45. Once he got there we went to track the one that ran. I found my arrow, which was bright red, and followed the trail for an extreme distance of fifteen yards to where the hog lay.
                  We took some pics and loaded them up to go to the skinning rack. Daniel helped me with the first one and then he had to go, because of school the next day. I finished the cleaning job and loaded them in the cooler to head to the house. It was a great hunt with lots of game. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I was able to go and relax for the first time in months. Also, I got the first two kills with the first two arrows that came out of the new bow. I would reccomend the pig hunting on this place for anyone that wanted to go.

Comment

Good hunt Monday the 24th of May

[ATTACH]164516[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]164517[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                    X