Caribou hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caribou hunt

I'm really interested in doing a caribou hunt next year. Has anyone went recently and if so what would I expect to pay for a hunt start to finish.

Watching for info! Boo is way up there on my bucket list!

Bisch

Comment

It's been almost 20 years since my last caribou hunt, so I really can't offer anything.

Comment

Bucket list for sure

Comment

I'm all ears myself

Comment

I narrowed it down to either New Zealand red stag or caribou and then the price decided really quick for me.

Comment

I've done 2 caribou hunts in Alaska. Both of these hunts were drop camp hunts, and both were for the Mulchatna herd west of Lake Ilimana. Over the last few years the Mulchatna herd has been down so I don't know if that would be your best bet. We flew in by float plane and were dropped off and picked up 10 or 14 days later. We didn't have any communication with the outside world (today you could take a satellite phone). Bush planes would fly over and you could signal by placing a blue tarp on the ground by the landing site in case of an emergency.

You are restricted in the amount of gear you can take in with you so you have to be careful in your gear selection. On our first trip, we were forced to leave some gear in the bush pilot's hanger. Also, be advised that because of the changeable nature of the weather in Alaska, you need to be prepared to stay in camp a few days longer than your scheduled pick-up date.

Comment

Working...
              X