Question about shooting with dog in a gun blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about shooting with dog in a gun blind

Just wanted to ask the group. What is everyone's thoughts on shooting with your dog in the gun blind? My JRT loves to come hunting with me. I bow hunt mainly, but will pull the smoke pole out when needed. I'm really concerned with her ears, as I know (as most dogs are) her ears are really sensitive. I have thought about the labs being close to tons of shots, but being inside a box blind is much louder IMO. What does everyone think?

Make sure the barrel is OUT of the window.

Comment

My gel was deaf at the end of her lif after years of hunting with me (shotguns, not rifles). She might have gone deaf regardless. Either way, she wouldn't have lived her life any other way. The only thing she lived more than hunting was being by my side, except for those days I missed more than I hit! Lol!

Comment

Lol! Thanks for the comments guys! Good stuff so far!

Comment

Yep. Been shooting over dogs my whole life. I would think one of them would have complained by now if it bothered them.

Comment

I bought a supressor just for my dogs...

Comment

Atfulldraw, I am thinking about doing the samething. Have been around them a few times and supressors make a huge difference! My rifle is a 300 win mag with a brake installed, so it's super loud.

Comment

Get him some muttmuffs ^

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                  I bought a supressor just for my dogs...
                  That's cruel. I'll bet they hate that attached to their muzzle.

Comment

I owned two hunting labs when I duck hunted and both of them went deaf before they died. On the other hand, I never had a bird dog to go deaf. Maybe I didn’t shoot as much over them ?

Comment

We used to cover the dogs ears in the airboat but not when we hunted.

I take my JRT to the stand a lot and she dont seem to mind. Keeping her still is a large issue

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunt with two JRT’s in the blind the shots used to make my male jump but it doesn’t bother him anymore. My female has never batted an eye at loud noises. They wouldn’t have it any other way you should see the cold shoulder I get if I leave them at home.

Comment

Used a .222 for years with dog in blind and he had no hearing problems. The rifle was an old savage with a long barrel and was outside the blind at least a foot. I do have hearing problems. He loved going and would go straight to every deer. If I raised the rifle and didn't shoot I got a LOOK.

Comment

Doesn’t seem to bother my GSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X