Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
RyanC26
Six Point

Hunt In: South East Texas
Default Turkey chokes

I shoot a Benelli Super Black Eagle II. We are going turkey hunting in a few weeks. I am usually in the mindset that ďif ainít brokeĒ. In the past I have killed turkeys with a choke that Is used to hunt geese. Any suggestions or any clear differences on chokes that any of yíall may have? Also what are yalls thoughts on turkey loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyanC26 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

I have killed a turkey at 40 yards with a stock Mossburg full choke.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
PROD49
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

I shot one last year with 3.5" Winchester Turkey load and Carlson Turkey choke at 65 yards. took 2 shots but I got him.
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

tuned in... never killed one with a shotgun... only a bow and I was wondering the same question around chokes.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
Saltej_77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards co., Bell co., Coryell co., Lampassas co., any anywhere else i can.

Rhino choke tubes, Ive been witness to several toms folding at 70+. Nitro ammunition make the best loads around, but $$$ they sit at the end of the magazine tube and get used if the need arises.
Saltej_77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
Triple 000 Buck
Nubbin' Buck

I have no clear difference in chokes, that being said I use my Dead Coyote choke for turkeys just because it shoots a tighter pattern than my standard full choke, seems to work fine on turkeys.
As far as shells I use 3 1/2" Winchesters no.4, seems to knock the stew out of them.
Triple 000 Buck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
Jamesbo
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: NORTH CENTRAL FL.

I shoot a 10 gauge with 4,5,7 shot by Nitro. Rhino choke or the Primos jelly head choke. Both can hold the pattern tight and with distance. A 80 to 100 yard shot with a scope is no problem.
Jamesbo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Listening. Or if anyone wants to lend/rent a beretta Mobil choke for an upcoming hunt

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I just use the full choke that came with the Benelli Nova I shoot. Using Hevi-Shot 13 3 1/2" #5 shot I've killed a turkey at 60 yards.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
RyanC26
Six Point

I was looking at the Jelly Head. Up close does it do to much damage?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #11
HC Sniper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher county

Last one I shoot with a shotgun I just used a stock Winchester full choke with regular 4 or 6 shot shells. That was probably 10 years ago, at least.
HC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #12
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Just limit your shots to 30-35 yards with full choke. Pattern your gun on a turkey target with a couple of shots. Aim where the feathers stop on the neck.
That will tell you your limitations.
Turkey hunting isn’t about killing. It is about hunting and calling.

Have fun.

BP
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #13
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I used to hunt with a super tight turkey choke and take long shots, but now I agree with Big Pig. Now the game is to see if I can call them in to 30 or less - at that range a standard full choke is plenty.

(disclaimer: this is partially due to the fact that I can no longer see well enough to put a bead on a turkey head at 60 yards!)
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #14
Jamesbo
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: NORTH CENTRAL FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC26 View Post
Just depends on the distance, but that's with all chokes
Jamesbo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #15
wal1809
Ten Point

You can kill the mess out of them within 30 35 yards with any choke and #5 #6 or even #7.5 pellets. The fun is getting them in close.
wal1809 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #16
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbo View Post
I shoot a 10 gauge with 4,5,7 shot by Nitro. Rhino choke or the Primos jelly head choke. Both can hold the pattern tight and with distance. A 80 to 100 yard shot with a scope is no problem.
No offense but if you are worried that you may have to kill turkeys at 70-100 yards I'd be freshening up the paint on my deeks.....

Last edited by MASTERS; 03-08-2018 at 12:51 PM.
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #17
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Whatever you use for goose hunting will work just fine on turkeys with that SBEII. No need for anything special, and the same ammo too... If I were you, I'd be practicing my calling more that worrying about how FAR I can shoot one... I like that 15 yard shot shotgun OR bow...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #18
wal1809
Ten Point

When I was a younger man lead was outlawed for ducks. The steel loads back then sucked bad. So we thought the bigger the pellet the better off we would be. Over the years steel shot got better and my understanding of shotguns grew. I like the smallest pellet that will do the job. I like as many of those small pellets as I can get on a target. So with that being said I have no problem stepping off a distance of 30 yards and handing my wife a heavy dove load and telling her, "When that bird gets to here, nail him". They go down like a sledge hammer hit them. You can kill a cow with a dove load at 15 yards if you hit it in the right place. At 15 yards your pattern is not that large.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #19
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Whatever you use for goose hunting will work just fine on turkeys with that SBEII. No need for anything special, and the same ammo too... If I were you, I'd be practicing my calling more that worrying about how FAR I can shoot one... I like that 15 yard shot shotgun OR bow...
15 is a little close for me. But 30, now we're talking. I'm hoping to get some good photo's in the 15 yard range. I agree on working more on calling than shooting. Good times.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 08:17 PM   #20
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Hunt In: NC, SC

Like the others have said, your choke should be fine. Make sure you pattern your gun and choke with the shot you plan on using at distances you plan on shooting.
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #21
100%TtId
Ten Point

My Benelli seems to like Briley chokes. And definitely spend a few shots at the pattern board. POI can be a few inches off.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #22
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
It might decapitate a turkey from close range if you're shooting the right ammo. I've never seen it done but I suppose it's possible. I don't know if that's necessarily a problem unless maybe you're wanting a full body mount done or something.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #23
RyanC26
Six Point

I am going to be near the Grapevine Bass Pro Shops this weekend. I will see what they have. I have the bullets narrowed down to Winchester or Hevi shot.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:00 AM   #24
rattler7696
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

I have the same Super Black Eagle II. I shoot a Primos JellyHead choke with 3.5Ē #5ís. Good to go easily at 40-50 yards. Upclose under 20 yards.....pretty nasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rattler7696 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #25
mikerosa
Six Point

I have the Benelli Vinci. Nothing wrong with the factory tubes at all !

But because Iím me, and my love for Terror choke tubes that I use for geese hunting, I bought a xtra full Terror tube for my gun. It shoots great no doubt, but canít say it dominates my factory tube.

I do however feel Hevi Shot #5ís stone anything in its path ! I shoot #3 for geese and 5 for turkey . Iíve dropped the Black Cloud and Winchester Supreme and Remington loads for Hevi Shot.

One other thing Iíve noticed. Different loads pattern differently as well. Gotta put em all on paper to check.

mikerosa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #26
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

extra full if you got it or a full will work
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #27
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

FYI
Even with the best recoil pad I could buy, patenting my turkey gun was my worst day of shooting ever. I tried several super heavy loads and the recoil was no fun.

Now I just call them close with 2 3/4” and put the CROSSHAIRS on his upper neck
You can laugh at my scope, but I have been killing birds for 30 years with it
Camo’ed, Sling, full tube of extra shells and I am good to go.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #28
Gladesgator
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rusk County, FL and AR

Grew up hunting turkeys in FL, we used standard full choke barrel in an 870 with 2 3/4", 1 1/4oz of lead 5 shot. We always head shot gobblers, not the shoot them in the middle of the body with a great cloud of feathers like the hunting shows. If, I had ever done that, it would have been a butt whooping not a high five and we didn't even know we were hunting the special Osceola turkey. Lol

A good turkey putt and he will have his head up high. We have killed scores and scores of turkeys using this load all over the country.

Also, unlike the turkey shows and the marketing of special choke tubes and loads that are "now required" to kill a turkey. My Dad taught me that if the gobbler wasn't within 15 yards, you hadn't really called it in and shouldn't be shooting at it, period.

Spend more time on learning turkey behaviours and calling, also how to hide and not move and you will be killing them within 15 yards, which is much more satisfying than 30+ yard shots which often just results in a wounded turkey. Even, with the "required chokes and loads".

Get one in really close one time, then watch listen to him for a few minutes and you won't want to do it any other way. Good luck
Gladesgator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #29
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I experimented with a few and settled on the Undertaker choke for Hevi Shot loads. It works best with the Hevi Shot Magnum Blend 3" loads for me.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #30
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

One of my old hunting buddies uses a .410 bore for turkey hunting and #6 shot. He calls 'em in to within 20 yards or less and shoots 'em in the head. He told me a turkey's head is as big as a dove, and we have dove hunted with .410's for over 30 years... rest of that turkey's body don't matter. Shoot his dove sized head. Easy as shooting a dove sitting on a fence post...
Old 03-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #31
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Get the Jelly Head. I shoot one on my Benelli with Hevi-shot, a 60 yd shot is no problem. Depends on what your definition of up close is? Just take the bird before he gets right on top of you.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #32
HIDE-N-SEEK
Ten Point

Hunt In: ALL OVER GOD'S CREATION

I have done a ton of research on this with this exact gun. Here's all you need to know and you can thank me later. This is the best patterning shell and chock combo out of that gun.

Primos Jellyhead .660
Winchester XR #6's
HIDE-N-SEEK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #33
wal1809
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
One of my old hunting buddies uses a .410 bore for turkey hunting and #6 shot. He calls 'em in to within 20 yards or less and shoots 'em in the head. He told me a turkey's head is as big as a dove, and we have dove hunted with .410's for over 30 years... rest of that turkey's body don't matter. Shoot his dove sized head. Easy as shooting a dove sitting on a fence post...
I have an O/U .410 I am going to have to give that a whirl. That sounds like a blast. Well, no pun intended but there it is. I'd guess at that close of a range 7.5 would kill them just as dead and be a more dense pattern.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #34
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I can testify to the possible downside of using a super-tight choke. A few years back I had been working a gobbler for about 30 minutes. He was slowly getting closer when another gobbler who had come in silently popped out of the brush at maybe 12 yards. He was to my right and I shouldered the shotgun awkwardly and missed! It was really embarrassing - I didn't know you could miss a turkey with a shotgun! Later that day I shot at cardboard from that distance and discovered the pattern was maybe the size of a softball. I decided to go back to my stock full Remchoke. I will trade the chance to kill one at 50 yards to make sure I kill them at shorter ranges
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #35
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I can testify to the possible downside of using a super-tight choke. A few years back I had been working a gobbler for about 30 minutes. He was slowly getting closer when another gobbler who had come in silently popped out of the brush at maybe 12 yards. He was to my right and I shouldered the shotgun awkwardly and missed! It was really embarrassing - I didn't know you could miss a turkey with a shotgun! Later that day I shot at cardboard from that distance and discovered the pattern was maybe the size of a softball. I decided to go back to my stock full Remchoke. I will trade the chance to kill one at 50 yards to make sure I kill them at shorter ranges
John, I had a very similar experience with a buddy I took hunting... He only had a 20 ga. so I gave him my 101 12 ga, full over full with high brass #5's... told him when I call and they come in, shoot 'em in the head... I did one flyin' down cackle, and 2 big gobblers pitched down out of a big pecan tree about 20 feet in front of us and immediately went into a strut... I whispered "SHOOT"... he did, twice, both birds flew off untouched! This guy was a very good upland bird shotgunner and he was plenty embarrassed about missing 2 20+ pound giant quail at 15 yards... sittin' still!! It happens!
Old 03-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #36
MTaylor
Six Point

Hunt In: Trinity County

Best Turkey Choke for the SBEII is Indian Creek, hands down best turkey choke on the market
MTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #37
RyanC26
Six Point

We are heading into Bass Pro Shops now. I didnít realize there was a difference between the Crio Chokes and the Beretta/Benelli chokes. Glad I looked before we came up here.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #38
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Killed 2 with one shot with a mossberg 500 super full choke the cheapest one I could find and shooting Winchester supreme turkey loads they were 53 yards knocked them both clean over.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #39
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Killed 2 with one shot with a mossberg 500 super full choke the cheapest one I could find and shooting Winchester supreme turkey loads they were 53 yards knocked them both clean over.

Me too
Same gun but at 30 yards

Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #40
RyanC26
Six Point

Even though BPS Grapevine was sold out of the chokes I am interested in, I bought a new hen decoy. Their reality series looks awesome. I am thinking about replacing my Jake decoy with one of those as well.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #41
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Full choke and #4 mags- killer.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #42
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Regular old full choke and either 3" 4 or 5's. Shot two last year with a full choked .410 with 6's.
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #43
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

You can kill em with a skeet choke if you get them where they need to be. Stock full chokes are fine.

I shoot a Benelli 20 ga and use a Primos Jellyhead because I like the way it rolls off my tongue when I say it and its gets me into the cool club.... Seriously though, I misplaced my full and bought what a buddy of mine had some good success with years ago. It patterned well with 3" #4 Pheasant loads and it has killed everything it threw lead at. I'm sold but I'm not going to say it is better than anything else or "hands down the best" because I haven't compared it to anything else. It just works for me for the distance I like to kill turkeys.

And no thanks to the specialized turkey shells. The are specialized in that they take more cash out of your wallet than they need too.

Last edited by Smart; 03-13-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #44
stickman
Pope & Young

If I shotgun hunt it's with a 20 gauge, modified choke, 20 yards or less. I'll be trying the .410 thing with a full choke this season. There is really zero reason to shoot a turkey at 40+ yards in my opinion. My buddy uses a choke called the "undertaker", it's pretty hard on them birds.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 07:11 AM   #45
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

I agree with a lot of the comments here. If you are trying to kill turkeys out past 30 yards, you're doing it wrong. Kinda like duck hunting, be where they want to be, good decoys and placement and good calling in small amounts and you'll have them in your lap. People who shoot turkeys with a shotgun at 70 yards are not turkey hunters.....there....I said it....
Old 03-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #46
J.B.
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
I agree with a lot of the comments here. If you are trying to kill turkeys out past 30 yards, you're doing it wrong. Kinda like duck hunting, be where they want to be, good decoys and placement and good calling in small amounts and you'll have them in your lap. People who shoot turkeys with a shotgun at 70 yards are not turkey hunters.....there....I said it....
LOL, well said. I get tickled when there are choke tube debates. A choke is a piece of machined tubular steel that is threaded on one end and the bore constricted to a certain diameter on the other end.....no real magic to it. Marketing at its best! (with that being said I do own some non-OEM chokes )
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 08:04 AM   #47
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
I think it's more of a matter of opinion. I've killed a lot of turkeys. Mostly spot and stalk and some over a call. Calling them in is boring to me honestly. Most of the turkeys I've killed have been within 35 yards but my furthest was at 60 yards. I was almost two hours from home and I decided I wasn't going home empty handed again. If I was filming a hunt I'd call one in and do it that way. I'd rather put the sneak on a group of turkeys and kill one. But I suppose turkey huntin is just like anything else. Everyone has their own way of doing it. Guys that bow hunt think it's cheating to use a shotgun. Guys that call and shoot birds at 30+ yards get called out by the ones that shoot them at 15.

Whether you're bow hunting in a ground blind,calling one in to 10 yards,30 or 50 yards or crawling 100 yards through tall grass to get within range of a strutting tom surrounded by hens.....they're all gonna taste exactly the same. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it. Just people that are set in their ways.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #48
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
I think it's more of a matter of opinion. I've killed a lot of turkeys. Mostly spot and stalk and some over a call. Calling them in is boring to me honestly. Most of the turkeys I've killed have been within 35 yards but my furthest was at 60 yards. I was almost two hours from home and I decided I wasn't going home empty handed again. If I was filming a hunt I'd call one in and do it that way. I'd rather put the sneak on a group of turkeys and kill one. But I suppose turkey huntin is just like anything else. Everyone has their own way of doing it. Guys that bow hunt think it's cheating to use a shotgun. Guys that call and shoot birds at 30+ yards get called out by the ones that shoot them at 15.

Whether you're bow hunting in a ground blind,calling one in to 10 yards,30 or 50 yards or crawling 100 yards through tall grass to get within range of a strutting tom surrounded by hens.....they're all gonna taste exactly the same. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it. Just people that are set in their ways.
You might be the first person that I have ever seen that prefers "sneaking up" on a turkey versus watching Toms coming running to your call/decoys and blow up strutting while drumming and spitting up close and in your face. You know...Where you can feel the drum in your chest and see the head lit up like a light bulb while the po'd Tom attacks your jake or tries to hump your hen until it pees..

That's like comparing jump shooting ducks behind a pond dam to watching birds responding to your call, working your deeks and then cupping up to pitch in through the canopy of flooded trees into range.

Last edited by Smart; 03-14-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #49
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

I've been killing turkeys for almost 40 years with a Remington 2&3/4, 1100 modified choke. Killed a few past 40 yards but most were 35 yards or closer. Used regular old high brass #6 for most of them.
I'll still be using it this year.
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #50
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
You might be the first person that I have ever seen that prefers "sneaking up" on a turkey versus watching Toms coming running to your call/decoys and blow up strutting while drumming and spitting up close and in your face. You know...Where you can feel the drum in your chest and see the head lit up like a light bulb while the po'd Tom attacks your jake or tries to hump your hen until it pees..

That's like comparing jump shooting ducks behind a pond dam to watching birds responding to your call, working your deeks and then cupping up to pitch in through the canopy of flooded trees into range.
Apparently, turkey and duck hunting is all me and Smart agree on.....