Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #201
cookemerkel
Ten Point
 
cookemerkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Majors

Jack won 18 of 164

Sam Snead won 7 of 118

Tiger won 14 of 76

To say Jack is the greatest because he won more majors is ridiculous.


Also they didnt have the WGC's back then. WGC's arent far off from majors when you look at how stacked the fields are. Tiger owned them. Tiger will probably come up short of Jacks major wins but nobody has ever put together a 10 year run like Tiger did. Doubt we see one like it again in our lifetime.
cookemerkel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #202
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young
 
muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Euless, Texas
Hunt In: Sterling County
Default

Tiger who?
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #203
coop2564
Ten Point
 
coop2564's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Azle, Tx
Hunt In: STX, E. Texas and Louisiana!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Golf is a dying sport....they are struggling for anything to keep it afloat.
Expect to see many retailers getting out of the business here soon.
Unfortunately so is Hunting.
coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #204
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: athens, texas
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
And I can add.....when Jack won 18 Majors and finished 2nd in 19 Majors

The guys he played against had more MAJOR WINS in the group that played against him...meaning, they had Major playing experience with WINS meaning, these guys didn't fold like a CHEAP SUIT ON SUNDAY!

You can slice it anyway you want about players now versus then but, then - the best players had what it took to take a MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIP. Their experience at that level far surpassed the up and coming KIDS Tiger played against. The 10 or so group of guys, who each in their own right, held many Majors under their belts, gave Jack a run for his money...Major after Major - the same 10 or so guys with each, well capable of handling 4 days of MAJOR Play without blowing up and with MAJOR records under their belts.

That's the DIFFERENCE

Jack played years and years more than Tiger at a supreme level - this says a lot about Jack's play.

And the back stuff....you have to swing within your physique to play decades - Jack got it, Tiger doesn't get it. Jack played at 1/2 throttle and this approach allowed him to play well into his 50s at a very high level. Jack was the smarter player.
no tigers dominance from 1999-2009 is the greatest stretch of any golfer ever, even jack said so, jack was just more consistent in the long run....

I wont argue jack being the greatest, but between them its 1a and 1b and a coin flip between the two..don't be biased, you could argue Ben Hogan was the greatest or even Arnie...its tough to compare between the generations
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #205
NoFence
Eight Point
 
NoFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Majors

Jack won 18 of 164

Sam Snead won 7 of 118

Tiger won 14 of 76

To say Jack is the greatest because he won more majors is ridiculous.
Someone gets it. Again, he has a 24% win percentage. Next closest active player is Spieth at 8.3% and Phil at 7.8%. Jack was 18% I believe, with smaller fields too.
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #206
adam_p
Ten Point
 
adam_p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pilot Point
Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Golf is a dying sport....they are struggling for anything to keep it afloat.
Expect to see many retailers getting out of the business here soon.
Several contributing factors, but pace of play is horrendous and is damaging it for sure.

You see the the people on Golf channel talking about how we need to fix that, then the next show on is Michael Breed telling you how you need to take 56 practice swings, line it up, wiggle your ***, take 37 dufner waggles, then hit the ball. Then when you get on the green it is another song and dance before you putt. It is ridiculous.

I do everything I can to avoid metroplex golf courses for this reason. Last time I played Champions Circle in Ft Worth it took 6+ hours.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #207
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: athens, texas
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Several contributing factors, but pace of play is horrendous and is damaging it for sure.

You see the the people on Golf channel talking about how we need to fix that, then the next show on is Michael Breed telling you how you need to take 56 practice swings, line it up, wiggle your ***, take 37 dufner waggles, then hit the ball. Then when you get on the green it is another song and dance before you putt. It is ridiculous.

I do everything I can to avoid metroplex golf courses for this reason. Last time I played Champions Circle in Ft Worth it took 6+ hours.
Twin lakes in canton, tx is the ticket, I live 20 mins from it....not too far from dallas, oh and I agree about the pace of play, everyone needs a routine but a long routine can work against you and can be frustrating for golfers in that group
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #208
Jayt22
Ten Point
 
Jayt22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Forney
Hunt In: Cracka county
Default

Negative ghost rider
Jayt22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #209
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: athens, texas
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Several contributing factors, but pace of play is horrendous and is damaging it for sure.

You see the the people on Golf channel talking about how we need to fix that, then the next show on is Michael Breed telling you how you need to take 56 practice swings, line it up, wiggle your ***, take 37 dufner waggles, then hit the ball. Then when you get on the green it is another song and dance before you putt. It is ridiculous.

I do everything I can to avoid metroplex golf courses for this reason. Last time I played Champions Circle in Ft Worth it took 6+ hours.
Michael breed is a great teacher but some of the stuff he tries to implement for drills works *** backwards for newbies....almost like he's making crap up on the fly for the show....
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #210
Ronnie41
Eight Point
 
Ronnie41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Schertz, Texas
Hunt In: Africa
Default

I think it is a shame what he did too his family and his life, but, he has been one of the greatest golfers of all time. As stated by other TBH members he has had a tremendous impact on many peoples golf lives. I lost a lot of respect for him but still would like to see him set a few more records.
Ronnie41 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #211
MacDaddy67
Ten Point
 
MacDaddy67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kembry View Post
Love him or hate him - there will only be one! I'm a huge fan of Arnie and Jack but nobody has ever dominated a sport the way that he did. They're guys out there that have the game but not the mentality he had when he was intimidating the rest of the golfing world. Times change and the sport will move on with or without him. My paycheck is a result of what he and the others before him accomplished to bring golf where it is today and I'm grateful for that. I just hope these young bucks can keep it steered in the right direction.
Exactly, yeah I care. I wish he could get healthy and compete again. I am afraid that those days are over. DJ, Speith, Jason Day, these guys are a direct result of Tiger Woods. The ratings are through the roof when he is on the leaderboard. I think he will win The Masters one more time, but he is trying to keep up with these youngsters bombing it out there 350 plus and he cant do it anymore. Just lay back and beat them on the green.

I am rooting for Tiger, golf is much more enjoyable for me when he is on his game
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #212
Cardinal
Six Point
 
Cardinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Henderson County
Hunt In: Henderson Co./Anderson Co./Rains Co.
Default

Back on the OP's original question:

Yes, I'd love to see Tiger make a run one more stretch of his career. How awesome would a Sunday at Augusta be with Tiger in the lead and the young guns having a target on his back? You can't say that ratings wouldn't go through the roof for a weekend of that.

One of the most enjoyable tournaments I ever watched was the 2009 British Open when Tom Watson made a run at 59 years old. My dad always talks about the 86 Masters. Here's to hoping Tiger can catch lightning in a bottle again.

Last edited by Cardinal; 02-16-2017 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo
Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #213
MacDaddy67
Ten Point
 
MacDaddy67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
Back on the OP's original question:

Yes, I'd love to see Tiger make a run one more stretch of his career. How awesome would a Sunday at Augusta be with Tiger in the lead and the young guns having a target on his back? You can't say that ratings wouldn't go through the roof for a weekend of that.

One of the most enjoyable tournaments I ever watched was the 2009 British Open when Tom Watson made a run at 50 years old. My dad always talks about the 86 Masters. Here's to hoping Tiger can catch lightning in a bottle again.

Tom was 59 and lost by 1 unlucky bounce on 18
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #214
Cardinal
Six Point
 
Cardinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Henderson County
Hunt In: Henderson Co./Anderson Co./Rains Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
Tom was 59 and lost by 1 unlucky bounce on 18
Yep, meant to say 60. With a hip replacement too. Would have been like Nolan coming back and pitching on that '05 Astros team and throwing a shutout. lol
Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #215
AtTheWall
Pope & Young
 
AtTheWall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kerrville - Boerne - Rockport
Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County
Default

Tiger is done. He doesn't have the physical strength and the mental side, has now folded.

During Tiger's stretch of golf, which I watched the streak, he never had to play from behind to win. Many of the players he played against, choked because, they were absolutely terrified of Tiger's course prowess.

I watched Jack play....from 1966 an onward. I watched Jack play from behind on Sunday's against others, who had multiple majors under their belt, blowing through to the end to win and or take 2nd place.

And he did this from the 60s - 80s. It was special, very special to witness. His pace was more conservative and his ability to keep the ball in play through decades of golf was something to witness.

Tiger's edge was his distance. He lost that edge, as the MODERN GOLF SWING with technical equipment fitting and coaching, the modernization of golf took over.


Here's something to think about....

Tiger 24% win percentage in 10 years.

Jack 18% in 3 DECADES.

Looks like Jack held it together for years and years. And to me, this is a sign of the complete player. Youth to Senior tour - not a flash in the pan.

Everyone has their view......I watched both play.......Jack's era had quality MAJOR winner players with unique swings, where the game itself was more challenging due to the lack of advancements.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #216
AtTheWall
Pope & Young
 
AtTheWall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kerrville - Boerne - Rockport
Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County
Default

And golf is dying because of EXPENSE.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #217
wtx223
Ten Point
 
wtx223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TX
Hunt In: TX
Default

lmao

Flash in the pan?
wtx223 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 04:47 PM   #218
adam_p
Ten Point
 
adam_p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pilot Point
Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
And golf is dying because of EXPENSE.

I routinely play golf for less than $30 a round. Clubs aren't expensive if you don't think you have to have the latest and greatest.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #219
cookemerkel
Ten Point
 
cookemerkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
T

Here's something to think about....

Tiger 24% win percentage in 10 years.

Jack 18% in 3 DECADES.

Looks like Jack held it together for years and years. And to me, this is a sign of the complete player. Youth to Senior tour - not a flash in the pan.

Everyone has their view......I watched both play.......Jack's era had quality MAJOR winner players with unique swings, where the game itself was more challenging due to the lack of advancements.

Well based on pgatour.com

Jack played 595 events winning 73 times. Thats winning roughly 12% of the time.

Tiger has played 328 events and won 79 of them. Thats a 24% clip.
cookemerkel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #220
Cardinal
Six Point
 
Cardinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Henderson County
Hunt In: Henderson Co./Anderson Co./Rains Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
I routinely play golf for less than $30 a round. Clubs aren't expensive if you don't think you have to have the latest and greatest.
Yep. Golf can be pretty dang cheap if you keep an eye on Golfnow, and the course websites. I saw some times at Pine Dunes in Frankston ($79 on the weekends) for $35 the other day.

My main complaint now is pace of play.
Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #221
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: athens, texas
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
Yep. Golf can be pretty dang cheap if you keep an eye on Golfnow, and the course websites. I saw some times at Pine Dunes in Frankston ($79 on the weekends) for $35 the other day.

My main complaint now is pace of play.
van Zandt county country club is cheap during the weekdays and roughly 40ish something bucks on the weekend, Twin lakes is 40-50 bucks but worth every penny and their is never any backed up play, Pine dunes is always never backed up , expensive but worth a play...Golf now app is addicting
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #222
pervis
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Default

I'd like to see tiger back on top of his game banging chick's and nailing 18 holes. I truly blame g2 Gatorade for my first child. I was drinking g2 cause they made it for Tiger Woods, they formulated it cause the dudes a machine! G2 and out comes my first child. Thanks tiger
pervis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #223
NoFence
Eight Point
 
NoFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
Tiger is done. He doesn't have the physical strength and the mental side, has now folded.

During Tiger's stretch of golf, which I watched the streak, he never had to play from behind to win. Many of the players he played against, choked because, they were absolutely terrified of Tiger's course prowess.

I watched Jack play....from 1966 an onward. I watched Jack play from behind on Sunday's against others, who had multiple majors under their belt, blowing through to the end to win and or take 2nd place.

And he did this from the 60s - 80s. It was special, very special to witness. His pace was more conservative and his ability to keep the ball in play through decades of golf was something to witness.

Tiger's edge was his distance. He lost that edge, as the MODERN GOLF SWING with technical equipment fitting and coaching, the modernization of golf took over.


Here's something to think about....

Tiger 24% win percentage in 10 years.

Jack 18% in 3 DECADES.


Looks like Jack held it together for years and years. And to me, this is a sign of the complete player. Youth to Senior tour - not a flash in the pan.
Wrong. That's 24% over the last 21 years. Not 10. At one point he closer a 30% win percentage. And I was wrong when I said 18% for Jack earlier. His is 12%.

And again, Tiger has done it with larger fields.
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #224
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: athens, texas
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
Wrong. That's 24% over the last 21 years. Not 10. At one point he closer a 30% win percentage. And I was wrong when I said 18% for Jack earlier. His is 12%.

And again, Tiger has done it with larger fields.
people fail to realize tiger started his pro career in 1996.....21 years ago...
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:02 PM   #225
NoFence
Eight Point
 
NoFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
people fail to realize tiger started his pro career in 1996.....21 years ago...
And that he won a major by 15 strokes stupid good.

And won a 5 round US Open with a broken leg.

Last edited by NoFence; 02-16-2017 at 06:17 PM.
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #226
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: athens, texas
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
And that he won a major by 15 strokes stupid good.
honestly he could've went pro in 94 full time, the tour at that time was lacking true consistent talent, he was very young but he could've competed for sure
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #227
Joshua Flournoy
Ten Point
 
Joshua Flournoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Default

Jack's one of the greatest ever, no doubt, but competition is way stiffer during Tiger's reign than it was back in Jack's day. Ironically, Tiger is the reason for a lot of those guys getting into the competitive golf game in the first place. He's playing against some of the greats on the tour now that grew up wanting to be like Tiger.
Joshua Flournoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:30 PM   #228
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
people fail to realize tiger started his pro career in 1996.....21 years ago...
I remember the day he turned pro. Tuned in to watch it. Something to chew on Tiger has 106 professional wins... Nicklaus has 120 including the champions tour.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #229
NoFence
Eight Point
 
NoFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
I remember the day he turned pro. Tuned in to watch it. Something to chew on Tiger has 106 professional wins... Nicklaus has 120 including the champions tour.
Lol chew on and spit out. Can't begin to bring in champions tour wins to this discussion.
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #230
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: athens, texas
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Flournoy View Post
Jack's one of the greatest ever, no doubt, but competition is way stiffer during Tiger's reign than it was back in Jack's day. Ironically, Tiger is the reason for a lot of those guys getting into the competitive golf game in the first place. He's playing against some of the greats on the tour now that grew up wanting to be like Tiger.
although I started playing golf when I was 2, and started competing in Junior tournaments when I was 8, I really never was truly motivated until I saws tigers greatness, he really did inspire me to stay at the golf course all day along implementing a fitness plan....I went from a 8 handicap to a scratch simply because he motivated me to be better, my dad played on the Nike Tour, now known as the web.com tour so he helped me a lot but didn't push me at all....I was the idiot wearing all black pants, black nike shoes, black TW hat, along with our Maroon team shirts at our high school tournaments
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #231
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: athens, texas
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
Lol chew on and spit out. Can't begin to bring in champions tour wins to this discussion.
yeah champions tour is a retirement league lol...I wouldn't count any of those wins to a professionals resume' to be honest...
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #232
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
Lol chew on and spit out. Can't begin to bring in champions tour wins to this discussion.
Lol no you're missing my point... Tiger has almost as many professional wins than The Bear and no Senior tour. That says a lot about Tigers greatness
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #233
NoFence
Eight Point
 
NoFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Lol no you're missing my point... Tiger has almost as many professional wins than The Bear and no Senior tour. That says a lot about Tigers greatness
Lol ok good. I thought you meant the other way around.
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #234
tigerscowboy
Ten Point
 
tigerscowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
7, but just like everything else people try to compare it isn't a fair comparison. Jack played substantially more majors than Sam. Sam only went to the Open 5 times.
Sam's problem, not Jack's. A novice could immediately assume that Jack is a bigger competitor based on this data.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #235
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: athens, texas
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Lol no you're missing my point... Tiger has almost as many professional wins than The Bear and no Senior tour. That says a lot about Tigers greatness
ahh true dat...good point
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:51 PM   #236
tigerscowboy
Ten Point
 
tigerscowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Majors

Jack won 18 of 164

Sam Snead won 7 of 118

Tiger won 14 of 76

To say Jack is the greatest because he won more majors is ridiculous.
No Sir. Your angle is.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #237
Buckley99
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Sniper View Post
Nope. He is done. His swing mechanics do nothing but put stress on his back. He will never be able to compete at that level for any extended amount of time ever again.
This ^^^

Unless he completely revamps his swing, his back will not let him return to any kind of sustained success.
Buckley99 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #238
tigerscowboy
Ten Point
 
tigerscowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
See post #188
Okay. You're the president of the Snead club. Fair enough.

There is no majority group on this earth (that knows golf, plays golf, knows golf history, and the players) that will side with the absurd statement that Snead is the greatest golfer vs Jack.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #239
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
ahh true dat...good point
And 40 of those were on the European Tour which is pretty **** impressive. They play links golf. Totally different game than American golf. How many golfers can adjust and compete like that?
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #240
17ncs
Pope & Young
 
17ncs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
NIKE dropped out of the Golf Equipment business - it was centered around Tiger now, it's a HAS BEEN like Tiger's golf game.

There's only one King - records made with inferior equipment I might add!
And playing a MacGregor ball?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
I think yall are just look'n for an excuse to make out with Tiger Woods
I think you've averaged 350 yds with this statement^^^^


If ABCDJ's Skype phone interview had anything to do with golf and/or Tiger Woods then I think it's clear he took CurtinTexas' advice to drop trou and to smile while looking in a mirror.
17ncs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #241
tigerscowboy
Ten Point
 
tigerscowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop2564 View Post
unfortunately so is hunting.
bamb!
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #242
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: athens, texas
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
And 40 of those were on the European Tour which is pretty **** impressive. They play links golf. Totally different game than American golf. How many golfers can adjust and compete like that?


Not many, links golf is a different animal


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #243
tigerscowboy
Ten Point
 
tigerscowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Several contributing factors, but pace of play is horrendous and is damaging it for sure.

You see the the people on Golf channel talking about how we need to fix that, then the next show on is Michael Breed telling you how you need to take 56 practice swings, line it up, wiggle your ***, take 37 dufner waggles, then hit the ball. Then when you get on the green it is another song and dance before you putt. It is ridiculous.

I do everything I can to avoid metroplex golf courses for this reason. Last time I played Champions Circle in Ft Worth it took 6+ hours.
We play a round in 3 hours and work on the phone while we play (don't tee off on Saturdays). Highest handicap in our group is a 12 and lowest is a 3.

Term is called "Ready Golf".
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #244
Backwoods101
Pope & Young
 
Backwoods101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Needville
Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie
Default

Haven't watched golf since he went down hill. Love him or hate him he was a freaking blast to watch in his prime.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #245
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Correct me if I'm wrong , but didn't Augasta try to Tiger proof the course after his dominance ? As well as several other majors and venues? At the time all the other tour pro's were playing with equivalent equipment so the changes weren't equipment related in my opinion
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #246
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: athens, texas
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong , but didn't Augasta try to Tiger proof the course after his dominance ? As well as several other majors and venues? At the time all the other tour pro's were playing with equivalent equipment so the changes weren't equipment related in my opinion


Most traditional major championship venues tiger proofed their course including Augusta


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #247
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

for nobody caring, this thread has lived longer than tigers golf career
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 08:06 PM   #248
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
Most traditional major championship venues tiger proofed their course including Augusta


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makes you wonder what he would have won in his prime if they would have left them alone
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #249
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Hunt In: my birthday suit
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
It affected his mental game....forget his long drives, his amazing chips, iron game, and think about the amount of ridiculous putts he used to make.

None of those things he injured should affect his putting abilities.
Tiger Woods is has and will probably ever have the strongest mental game in golf. His emotional state may have played a small role in some errant shots but I can attest from experience, any change in your body affects your golf game in immeasurable ways. I am 3" taller, 50 lbs heavier and simply a larger person that I was when I competed. Throw in a knee surgery and a few injuries and I can no longer find my once magnificent short game or putting. I catch glimpses now and then but it's gone and I know it. Tiger has played in immense pain most of his life (mostly due to over-swinging) and it finally caught up to him. I take nothing from the man and his accomplishments. I believe he is/was the greatest to ever play the game. His longevity has no bearing on my opinion.
Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #250
spikebuck
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sherman
Hunt In: Northeast Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
no tigers dominance from 1999-2009 is the greatest stretch of any golfer ever, even jack said so, jack was just more consistent in the long run....

I wont argue jack being the greatest, but between them its 1a and 1b and a coin flip between the two..don't be biased, you could argue Ben Hogan was the greatest or even Arnie...its tough to compare between the generations
I hope Tiger wins 5 more majors but to me it's not 1a and 1b. It's 1 and 2 and the Golden Bear still sits atop the mountain. Consistency is a huge part of the equation to me.
spikebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com